Okay, so James has been bugging everyone for a while now to do desk pictures. I kept delaying because I wanted to wait until I had a chance to clean my desk before I showed it to you all. I now realize that this mythical time when I will have a clean desk will possibly never come. I have, therefore, decided to submit this picture of my desk in its natural state. Unlike some of the other desk pictures you will see on this blog, I did not do any cleaning or rearranging before taking the picture, so this is a perfectly accurate representation of what my desk looked like on April 6th, 2008 at (checking EXIF data…) 4:02:22 pm. Note that this is my home office desk, I also have another desk where I do a lot of work during the week but it isn’t very interesting.
I apologize for the quality of the picture since my only digital camera is a 1.3 MP Fujifilm from 2001 (which is still a little better then my cell phone camera).
Points of note:
- iMac – This is one of my two main computers at the moment, an 24″ iMac 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. It is very pretty. I also have a Windows box that I do Windows specific development on (ASP.NET 1.1 I hate you so) at my other office.
- Flatron 775FT – This is the monitor from my very first Windows box. It is very old and somewhat temperamental, and only displays 1024×768, but it works pretty good as a secondary monitor for email/im/bittorrent.
- Sunglasses (in case) – My current pair of glasses has magnetic clips on the temples so that I can use this pair of stylish sunglasses over top and look like one of the cool kids. These are the glasses I put on at the end of “Daylight Savings”
- D-Link 5 port Router – Standard wired router to replace the wonky Netgear one I used to have. Currently covered by a Soltek motherboard driver cd because the flashing status lights were bugging me.
- $240 in Counterfeit Money – Leftover 20 dollar bills from “The Deal” – only printed on one side. For some reason a bunch of them ended up at my house. Come to think of it, maybe I should get rid of them as I believe they are technically illegal.
- Video Game Jockey – Composite/S-video to VGA converter box allows me to play my Playstation 2 on the external monitor.
- Logitech Optical Mouse – Replaces the Mighty Mouse that comes with Mac computers. Something to do with the way I naturally use a mouse means that it kept thinking I was right clicking at inopportune times. The Mighty Mouse is currently enjoying a nice life over at Graham’s place, since he likes the 2 dimensional scroll ball-thing.
- Windows 2000 Professional textbook – Left over from my days at college. Does an excellent job of supporting corner of monitor.
- Guide to Linux Installation and Administration – Left over from my days at college. Contrary to “Installation Anxiety” I am not really a big fan of Linux. This book has helped me more by improving the ergonemics of my workstation then it ever did by teaching me Linux Installation and Administration
- Motorola V360 cell phone – I really don’t like my phone. It works, but everything is more complicated then it should be and Canadian cell carriers suck. Will be replaced by an iPhone IF THEY EVER FRICKIN’ COME OUT IN CANADA.
- Wallet – I’m thinking of having the seams let out as I am currently having trouble carrying around my huge fat stacks of LRR royalties.
- Logitech 2.1 Speaker system – Same vintage as external monitor, used for audio from Playstation 2.
- Portable Fan – Used for 2 purposes: 1. it keeps me cool in the summer and 2. for some reason the resolution that the Playstation 2 wants to run at makes my external monitor overheat and shut off after 20 minutes unless the fan is blowing on it.
- Shaw Cable Modem – Seems to work for what I need
- Playstation 2 Games – These games are currently on loan from Graham. They are (from top to bottom) Jak II, Viewtiful Joe, and Bully. For my opinions of these games, listen to the “what we’re playing now” part of the LRRcast.
- Playstation 2 – Leaving aside technical considerations, and evaluating its performance on “number of awesome games”, I feel that the PS2 is pretty much the best game console ever. Also, because I came to the PS2 party so late, now I can just borrow all the best games from my friends (see #15)
- Spindle of Blank CDs – Currently covered in a layer of dust, which proves how much I use blank CDs these days.
- Spindle of Blank DVDs – I am so looking forward to when 40+ GB Blueray discs are available in 50 disk spindles. 2 TB on one spindle!
- Pilot V5 – My favorite type of pens. These days is used almost exclusively for doodling and signing checks.
- My Desk – Actually composed of two desks put together. The main desk (left) was built by my dad as a gift when I moved out of residence at college and is designed to be relatively simple to disassemble for transport. The auxiliary desk (right) is a refugee from some friends of the family who were throwing it away and was added after I got the 24″ iMac and realized that I no longer had any desk space.
- Camera Cable – Really stupid proprietary USB download cable for the aforementioned Fujifilm camera. Why do people keep making proprietary cables!