News and Announcements about LoadingReadyRun
WAYF
First Video: Unskippable: The Getaway

Re: Presenting: Strip Search

Postby WAYF » 26 Feb 2013, 14:08

Bionic Trousers Media has its own logo.

Bionic Trousers Media has its own logo.
YES. :D

About the trailer: Uh... correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks kinda realistic to me. I mean, everybody's reactions are believable. I mean, people were actually looking HAPPY to be on the show at certain points. I mean, sure there was one person who wasn't there to make friends, but it just... I mean it comes across as trash-talking, right? At no point was anybody actually being mean to anybody else.

Is it possible that LoadingReadyRun have produced a Reality TV show that looks like actual REALITY?
"My favourite song is 'Girl Panic!'... because girls make me panic... in a good way!"
- Simon Le Bon.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 26 Feb 2013, 14:08

I've seen some comments (elsewhere) like, "I thought this was supposed to be a satire of reality TV, but this looks real..."

I guess I take that as a compliment, but no, we never said that. It's a real show, it's just being made by people who actually care about other people.
There's no "asshole character", these are real people who we grew to care about. It's halfway to being a documentary show, under the auspices of reality TV... but it's still reality TV.

I encourage you to watch it, it's something special.
WAYF

Postby WAYF » 26 Feb 2013, 14:24

I think the fact that it contains real people behaving realistically nice towards one another makes Strip Search a satire of reality TV by default. :P

I will totally be watching it. Partly because even just the hype surrounding this has got me caring about all the people involved already. And partly because, out of all the reality TV show trailers I've ever seen, this one looks interesting.
(Go-karting? Why is that in there? What are they doing? I MUST KNOW.)

And Jamfalcon's link to the trailer got left on the last page. Sorry about that. Here it is.
"My favourite song is 'Girl Panic!'... because girls make me panic... in a good way!"
- Simon Le Bon.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 26 Feb 2013, 14:31

Nice remix of the LRR tune over the bionic trousers logo, made me grin.

One thing though: that artist at the end of the trailer said she wasn't there to make friends, which seems mad. Why wouldn't you want to make friends with contemporaries in your field? I never thought of comic artists as cut-throats.

I half of expected a stinger of "but then I did anyway"

I like that you're not going with the classic competition reality TV 'everyone's out to claw their way to the top over the corpse of everyone else' thing.

Also according to a friend of mine who watches the Apprentice, the idea of them being judged on relevant talents to the job on offer is an excellent step forwards for the genre.

Honestly looking forward to this now.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 26 Feb 2013, 14:40

Ptangmatik wrote:I like that you're not going with the classic competition reality TV 'everyone's out to claw their way to the top over the corpse of everyone else' thing.
Weeelllll... I wouldn't go that far...
:D

You'll see. Trust me, it's a fun show.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 27 Feb 2013, 13:13

WAYF wrote:Go-karting? Why is that in there? What are they doing? I MUST KNOW.
My hypothesis is that they must draw a comic strip while go-karting, and that's why they crashed. :D
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 27 Feb 2013, 14:10

Ptangmatik wrote:Also according to a friend of mine who watches the Apprentice, the idea of them being judged on relevant talents to the job on offer is an excellent step forwards for the genre.
I recall them talking about their ideas for the show...it was a PAX Q&A or something, possibly the same one where they dropped the LRR bomb.

Anyhoo, at the time they wanted to do some challenges where the skillset was obviously artistic ("draw this thing." "make me laugh."), but also some challenges themed around life as a professional artist ("design some merch." "give me your elevator pitch." "set up your con booth").
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 28 Feb 2013, 09:31

PA is actually a juggernaut.
^( " )^
winner!
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 01 Mar 2013, 02:31

First Episode is online
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 01 Mar 2013, 03:50

Awesome

Graham I am sad to say I felt your introduction sounded flat. It seemed like it was dubbed over later. It felt weird that everyone else's sound quality was better.

Also from years of watching LRR at the start I heard your voice and thought it was parody.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 01 Mar 2013, 09:12

Lord Chrusher wrote:Awesome

Graham I am sad to say I felt your introduction sounded flat. It seemed like it was dubbed over later. It felt weird that everyone else's sound quality was better.

Also from years of watching LRR at the start I heard your voice and thought it was parody.

I kind of agree, I know the show isn't about Graham but we get really nice introductions of all the other people and then Graham is just there like everyones gona know who he is. I know we know who Graham is but allot of people might not and might wonder why this guy is important to the show at all.

Other than that small detail I loved the first episode.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 01 Mar 2013, 10:09

That's nice of you to say, but yeah, I'm not important really, as far as the show is concerned. That's how it should be.

Don't worry though, I get plenty of screen time!
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 01 Mar 2013, 12:09

To me at least it just felt a little odd that the host didn't introduce himself. Also no introductions for Mike and Jerry even tho I know who everyone is, and its on their site so you would expect people to know who they are.
I don't watch reality shows really. Do the hosts normally introduce themselves?
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 01 Mar 2013, 15:37

Lord Chrusher wrote:Graham I am sad to say I felt your introduction sounded flat. It seemed like it was dubbed over later. It felt weird that everyone else's sound quality was better.
Having watched some (not a whole bunch, but some) reality TV, he sounded just like the other announcers, to me, which is good. :)
Foxmar wrote:Also no introductions for Mike and Jerry even though I know who everyone is, and it's on their site so you would expect people to know who they are.
I still don't know which one's Mike and which one's Jerry, and who corresponds with Gabe and who corresponds with Tycho. Granted, I don't read PA regularly.
Edit: OK, still watching and found out Mike's the bearded one and Jerry's the bald one. Still don't know which is Gabe and which is Tycho.
Also, excellent music from Bradley.

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 01 Mar 2013, 15:56

Based solely on art style of their avatars, here's who I like best:

Lexxy
Katie
Alex
Tavis
Amy
Nick
Ty
Monica
Erika
Abby
Maki
Mackenzie

Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 01 Mar 2013, 16:35

AdmiralMemo wrote: Still don't know which is Gabe and which is Tycho.

Here's a simple, cut-out-and-keep guide:

Beardy = punchy

Baldy = laconic

or, as many prefer to think of it (especially if you don't know which of tyco or gabe is punchy): Mike's the artist/writer --> Gabe, Jerry's the writer --> Tyco (named after the astronomer Tyco Brahe, idk if Gabe's from anything, maybe Gabe Newell? Doubt it though)
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 01 Mar 2013, 18:10

Graham wrote:
Don't worry though, I get plenty of screen time!

Is anyone surprised you are sleeping with over half the production staff. 8)

:lol: If my sources are correct, and I know that they are, the host has been sharing a bed with the director and the editor for going on thirty years now.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 01 Mar 2013, 20:00

Do I spy Kathleen in the background at 7:24?
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 01 Mar 2013, 22:08

I saw her a couple of times so probably.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 02 Mar 2013, 00:29

Ok, I never watch reality TV, but the "Happy Birthday" joke from the first episode might have won me over (also, it's being produced by you guys, so I kinda have to watch it)
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

WAYF

Postby WAYF » 02 Mar 2013, 01:08

I loved Gabe's joke about one very devious trap that MORE than makes up for the lack of smaller traps. That sold me. :D

I think this first episode contains a lot of how to do reality TV right. Like, everyone got all settled in and introduced themselves, and THEN Graham said that one of them wouldn't survive the day. That was a great way to end the episode, it makes me want to watch next week, and it reminds the contestants how competitive this is. And best of all, nobody had to force circumstances to get it to work.

Forcing circumstances is one of my least favourite things about reality shows.
- Simon Le Bon.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 02 Mar 2013, 01:47

Glad to hear it!
Like, we're all fans of awful reality TV, and we relished coming up with the situations... but not... with malice?

It's all for entertainment, with the contestants, not at their expense.
WAYF

Postby WAYF » 02 Mar 2013, 04:08

What I mean is, I'm not getting any bad vibes from the producers of Strip Search. Like, I'm sure time will tell, but I'm not exactly imagining that 5 episodes in or whatever, you'll bust out a weird twist that makes everyone go "WHaaaaa?" and be completely unreasonable.

Asking someone to draw something while driving on a racetrack is a little bit unreasonable, but the activity itself sounds awesome, so I'm plenty willing to forgive that, if that is indeed what's going on. :P
- Simon Le Bon.
psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby psychopez » 02 Mar 2013, 10:42

So I was going to add this to an Ask LRR thread, but it might be more apt here. And I understand if this is better left for a postmortem, after-the-last-episode thing.

What sort of prep/research did the LRR crew have to do before all this started? The style and feel of the first episode felt very similar to existing reality shows; the camera shots (the quick zoom on the girl in the kitchen with the Oh My God face is what sealed it for me as to it feeling like other reality shows) editing etc, all felt spot on.

And I imagine this is nothing what the LRR crew is used to day in day out. I'm curious to know if you guys are just winging it, or if there's some sort of 'Shooting a Reality Show Guide for Dummies' book you guys mainlined before tackling it.
@mhasko
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 02 Mar 2013, 18:54

Is Strip Search going to get it's own subforum here, or any official threads other than this announcement thread? It just seems like having only one thread to discuss an entire series that will last will last 24-30 episodes *cough*orso*cough* seems a bit odd.

I do like most of the people on the show so far. A couple of them initially seem somewhat... narcissistic? Maybe even a bit desperate? It's hard to tell given the relatively short time we were given with each so far though. And I can understand that some of them were likely stressed out and nervous (I would be too after all).

The editing feels reality show in nature. Though the intro lasted too long for my taste. Having the prolonged 'name over footage by water' and then the artist with their self-drawings felt like it was a bit much. But I'm guessing that was due to this being the first episode.

Return to “Site News”