LRR Mobile Edition

News and Announcements about LoadingReadyRun
Dominic Appleguard

Re: LRR Mobile Edition BETA

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 20 Feb 2013, 15:56

That's a pretty reasonable compromise. Also the fixed bar glitch makes certain links misbehave too.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 23 Feb 2013, 22:39

Absolutely, ridiculously minor glitch, but I thought I'd report it, anyway. If it doesn't get fixed, I really don't care.

HTC Thunderbolt
Android 4.04
Chrome

Only on the forums, during each page load, the nav bar initially loads in the middle of the screen. However, the second you start scrolling, it jumps to the bottom and works fine.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

UNHchabo
First Video: Back It Up

Postby UNHchabo » 26 Feb 2013, 15:22

Nokia Lumia 710
Windows Phone 7.5 (7.10.8773.98)
Internet Explorer

The nav bar scrolls with the page, so it blocks some of the content. Also, the nav bar doesn't have icons; the "home" button is replaced by just a solid white box, and the other buttons are replaced by a black box with a rectangle inside (the kind you see when an unrecognized font is used). The last button (for the desktop site), is wrapped around onto the next line.

I wish I could take a screenshot, but I can't pre-WP8 without a developer account.
Looking for an older video? Try this wiki page. (Current through the end of 2008)
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 04 Mar 2013, 11:06

I have to say I don't like the mobile edition. While it may make it easier to navigate the videos and such, I mostly use it for the forums. The lack of the back button and the floating nav bar (iOS 4) are detrimental to the experience, and I prefer how it was. Sorry Paul, my guess is I'm just not the market for this update, and that's fine.
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 04 Mar 2013, 12:02

Ok, two things have become apparent after using the mobile site myself for a few weeks and listening to your feedback.

1. Many mobile browser suck at fixed position navbars. Most new mobile browsers (iOS 6, Android 4, WP8, etc) render them perfectly, but older mobile browsers have non-existant or worse, only partial support. Do to lack of devices to test on, I was not aware of the extent of the problem. To attempt to deal with this, I have extended my original Android 2 fix and made the navbar just sit at the bottom of the page if it detects any unsupported browser. These include iOS < 5, Android < 3, Windows Phone < 8, Opera Mini, Firefox mobile < 6, Kindle Fire and Symbian. Hopefully this will eliminate any "floating navbar" issues.

2. The LRR site is not suited for iOS web app mode. The full screen view is nice, but the decrease in speed and lack for browser functions (bookmarks, back button, offsite links opening in a new window, etc) makes it not worth it. For now, I have removed the web app meta tag and if you delete it from your home screen and install it again, it should open as a regular website.

Those of you who were experiencing issues, please let me know if this has fixed things.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 04 Mar 2013, 14:49

For what it's worth, I'm loving the mobile layout.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Paul
Super Moderator

Postby Paul » 11 Mar 2013, 11:49

Ok, The LRR mobile site is now "live" with automatic redirection for mobile visitors. The first time you visit the site on a mobile browser, it will redirect you to the mobile version of whatever page you are going to. If you don't want the mobile version, just click the Desktop button in the lower right and it will remember that setting for all future visits (until you clear your local storage). To get back to the mobile site, just click the "Switch to mobile version" banner at the top of the page.

As always, let me know if you have any issues.
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Re: LRR Mobile Edition

Postby Dubious_wolf » 11 Mar 2013, 19:39

I dig it. Seems to work for me well and isn't obtrusive. Other mobile designers should take a que from you.
^( " )^
winner!
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Mar 2013, 19:57

Desktop mode button is now on a second line for me, where it previously wasn't before the latest update.

HTC Thunderbolt
Android 4.04
Chrome

Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 12 Mar 2013, 11:44

I've got a couple of examples of glitchy behaviour from the fixed footer. I'll post them up when I manage to transfer the screengrabs from my iPod.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
I X
First Video: Crime And Punishment. I think.

Postby I X » 12 Mar 2013, 13:18

Hrm, that's odd. I'm getting forced to the mobile site for some reason on my desktop (Chrome, Win7).
Often outnumbered, never outpunned.

Note: in Ireland 'ye' is used as the plural of 'you'. It rather neatly avoids confusion online.

"Your accent is...ubiquitous."
-Graham Stark
Paul
Super Moderator

Postby Paul » 12 Mar 2013, 14:18

I X wrote:Hrm, that's odd. I'm getting forced to the mobile site for some reason on my desktop (Chrome, Win7).

The decision to send you to the mobile site is based on your browser width (< 500px = mobile). Are you browsing in a really small window?

Also, regardless of whether it thinks you are a mobile device or not, clicking the Desktop button (right-most button on the navbar) should turn off the mobile redirect permanently (until you clear your local storage). Is that not working?
I X
First Video: Crime And Punishment. I think.

Postby I X » 12 Mar 2013, 17:11

Paul wrote:
I X wrote:Hrm, that's odd. I'm getting forced to the mobile site for some reason on my desktop (Chrome, Win7).

The decision to send you to the mobile site is based on your browser width (< 500px = mobile). Are you browsing in a really small window?

Also, regardless of whether it thinks you are a mobile device or not, clicking the Desktop button (right-most button on the navbar) should turn off the mobile redirect permanently (until you clear your local storage). Is that not working?

Not browsing in a small window, about 1200 across.

Oh man, can't believe I didn't see the desktop button. Classic. >.< I did bring myself out of it by going to the bare loadingreadyrun.com domain and navigating to the forum, but after a restart the page was opening in the mobile mode again. I'm not on this system right now, but if that button doesn't solve it I'll get back to you. I'm sure it will.

Cheers. :)
Often outnumbered, never outpunned.

Note: in Ireland 'ye' is used as the plural of 'you'. It rather neatly avoids confusion online.

"Your accent is...ubiquitous."
-Graham Stark
Necabo
First Video: an lrr vid on the escapist spring 2011

Postby Necabo » 13 Mar 2013, 10:44

I love it, this is one of the best mobile websites I have encountered so far: everything is on there, quick to find and it all fits on my screen :)

Using chrome on a HTC one S, BTW.

Now for the Escapist and PA to make nice mobile sites as a lot of the vids link to there.
ImageImage

phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 14 Mar 2013, 19:01

The auto-redirection for the forums seems a little glitchy with query strings... if I have a bookmark for http://loadingreadyrun.com/forum/search.php?search_id=egosearch, it'll redirect to http://loadingreadyrun.com/forum/search.php?search_id=egosearch?&style=8... that extra question mark stops the page from working properly.

Also, the footer isn't quite right for me - it's wrapping onto two lines. Samsung Galaxy S2, Android 4.0.3, Chrome 25.0.1364.169.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Paul
Super Moderator

Postby Paul » 15 Mar 2013, 07:40

phlip wrote:The auto-redirection for the forums seems a little glitchy with query strings... if I have a bookmark for http://loadingreadyrun.com/forum/search.php?search_id=egosearch, it'll redirect to http://loadingreadyrun.com/forum/search.php?search_id=egosearch?&style=8... that extra question mark stops the page from working properly.

Ah, I see the problem. It should work now.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 15 Mar 2013, 07:43

Yep, the redirect works properly now :D
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Mar 2013, 17:28

phlip wrote:Also, the footer isn't quite right for me - it's wrapping onto two lines. Samsung Galaxy S2, Android 4.0.3, Chrome 25.0.1364.169.
Whatever Paul did on March 11 broke that for me as well, when it used to be fine. Not really an issue on most pages, but on the forum, it covers up the bottom bar so I can't see whether I have private messages.

Paul
Super Moderator

Postby Paul » 20 Mar 2013, 09:02

With desktop browsers mostly agreeing these days, I sometimes miss the horrible rendering bugs and excessive testing that used to be required in the Netscape/IE days. It is nice to see that they live on with mobile devices :roll:

I have made a small tweak to the navbar that should hopefully fix the wrapping issue. Unfortunately I can't test it myself (Chrome doesn't work on the Android emulator), so let me know if it is working now. You may have to refresh a few times to get the new stylesheet.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 20 Mar 2013, 12:42

New update: footer works on forum now, but still is broken on main site. Just an issue with not getting the new CSS on the main site, despite me refreshing numerous times, or is the forum actually using different code to display that bar, and thus a separate issue?

Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 20 Mar 2013, 13:23

I used the LRR Mobil for the first time today and it worked awesome for me, I was glad that I didnt have to keep squinting zooming and waiting for the page to adjust to the zoom before removing and rezooming.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 25 Mar 2013, 01:01

Footer fixed on main site. Was probably just out-dated CSS.

Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 08 May 2013, 11:46

So Id just like to say that I haven't had any problems in a while.
This mobile site is by far one of the better examples I've seen of how a mobile site should work. The transition between the desktop and mobile versions are excellent. And the browser stays "locked" in your preferred layout. (Though honestly the mobile is so well put together I rarely use the desktop version)
I do occasionally have to wrangle the nav bar around but honestly it's not terribly annoying, most times a scarcely even notice it.
Basically good on ya Paul.
^( " )^
winner!
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 19 Jun 2013, 15:58

Attempting to post forum topic replies from my phone gives me:

No post mode specified.

Relevant information:

HTC Thunderbolt
Android 4.04
Chrome

Edit: The post apparently posts correctly, but doesn't say that on the page after hitting the "Submit" button.

Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 11 Oct 2013, 09:36

Some users on mobiles are posting the same message two or three times, just thought you should know. I'm sure it's not intentional, meaning it must be some occasional thing with the site.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.

Return to “Site News”