Better spoiler tags

News and Announcements about LoadingReadyRun
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Better spoiler tags

Postby Paul » 17 Apr 2013, 10:55

Hey everyone,

Just a quick note to say I have changed the display of spoiler tags to make them more obvious and so that they work as expected on mobile devices. Instead of highlighting the text, you now just have to click on it. As always let me know if there are any issues.

By the way, the winner of Strip Search is just kidding :)
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Re: Better spoiler tags

Postby Master Gunner » 17 Apr 2013, 10:59

I am most definitely not disappoint.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 17 Apr 2013, 11:51

I like it.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 17 Apr 2013, 12:49

Woooooo! I approve :D
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 17 Apr 2013, 13:46

Aw man, I've been hiding random spoiler tags in my posts for weeks. Now they're all gonna show up.

The new format does make a lot more sense than the old, I can adjust :-)
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 17 Apr 2013, 14:20

I'll stand out and say I kinda liked the old style, completely hidden, spoilers. But this does work rather snazzy.

And we can always get the other way to work by using color tags!
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 17 Apr 2013, 14:29

My thoughts EXACTLY. By the way, the number's #180094
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 17 Apr 2013, 14:49

I did like the old tags too, but them not working on mobile devices was a bit of an issue. And hey, I have no issue using the colour tags instead.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 17 Apr 2013, 23:59

I applaud this. I've highlighted spoilers accidentally before: my left-click button was pressed while I moved the wheel, or I saw an empty message and stupidly highlighted it because I thought I was missing the text, without realising I was about to spoil myself...

While I still prefer the kind that creates a box that says "spoiler" on it and that you can open and close (especially since it allows for pictures, but maybe you don't want that here) this kind is much easier to spot and therefore to avoid accidentally revealing.

Thanks!
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 18 Apr 2013, 04:27

looks cool
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 18 Apr 2013, 05:14

Ha ha, suck it, mobile devices! I taunt you!
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Apr 2013, 06:51

And you can still highlight to see, if you want. :)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Paul
Super Moderator

Postby Paul » 18 Apr 2013, 08:54

Avistew wrote:While I still prefer the kind that creates a box that says "spoiler" on it and that you can open and close (especially since it allows for pictures, but maybe you don't want that here) this kind is much easier to spot and therefore to avoid accidentally revealing.

I hadn't actually thought about pictures. Would other people prefer the "click to open" spoiler box style of spoilers? It would be pretty straight forward to setup something like what they have on the Escapist forums (eg. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/ ... ou-cleared). I guess the main advantages to the "whiteout" style spoilers is that they automatically give an indication of how much spoiler text there is and you can still highlight them if you want. Also, is it useful to be able to hide the spoiler again once you have read it?

Since I am making the change, I might as well do it right :)
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 18 Apr 2013, 09:24

Personally, I'd like all types of spoilers. Hidden+Highlight, white-out, and box style all have their uses.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 18 Apr 2013, 09:46

Yeah, a variety types would be nice, but if I had to choose one I'd probably go with something like GitP's forum has. Opening and closing spoilers can be a pretty useful formatting tool, especially for large, complex posts (something like the first post of a mafia game would benefit a lot from that ability, I think.)
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Avistew

Postby Avistew » 18 Apr 2013, 10:57

Paul wrote:I hadn't actually thought about pictures. Would other people prefer the "click to open" spoiler box style of spoilers? It would be pretty straight forward to setup something like what they have on the Escapist forums (eg. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/ ... ou-cleared). I guess the main advantages to the "whiteout" style spoilers is that they automatically give an indication of how much spoiler text there is and you can still highlight them if you want. Also, is it useful to be able to hide the spoiler again once you have read it?

Since I am making the change, I might as well do it right :)

Being able to close spoilers again can be useful in two cases that I can think of:

First, if you clicked accidentally and want to close it again before you read it all (it's very hard to force yourself not to read something you can see).

And secondly, if the spoiler is large and/or the post has many of them, closing them after you read them can help unclutter the post, but only if this is the kind of spoiler that expands when you first click on it (the current one does hide itself when you click a second time, but that wouldn't help with size).

A very large post can also be less overwhelming if it's divided into smaller spoilered sections, which would not work if the spoiler takes up the same physical space whether it's revealed or not. This being said, it need to be weighed vs being able to see how much spoiler there is. I suspect people might have their own preference one way or another... Spoiler: you probably won't please everyone.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 18 Apr 2013, 18:50

If you're going with the collapsible-section style of spoiler tags (which I'll throw in my vote for), one thing that could be useful is an option to go like [spoiler="topic"]words[/spoiler], or something, so that you can easily specify what it is that's being spoiled. So, say, if I haven't seen the latest Strip Search yet, and I'm reading the thread for an earlier episode, and I see a spoiler labelled as "next episode", I know not to open it.

This can also be helpful for when those get used for formatting, rather than spoiler-hiding, for things like large images and long off-topic monologues... being able to say [spoiler="Huge image"][img]millimeter_resolution_map_of_the_Earth.jpg[/img][/spoiler] would be neat.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Avistew

Postby Avistew » 19 Apr 2013, 03:11

Very true. And in a thread that potentially has spoilers for different things, such as the book thread, it would be nice to know if a spoiler is for a book you've read or not. Sometimes people aren't so clear about that, especially when the whole message is a spoiler, and you have no idea what it's a spoiler for until you click.

I had that in a strip-search thread, I assumed it was a spoiler for the video the thread was about, but it was a spoiler for things that hadn't happened yet.
Paul
Super Moderator

Postby Paul » 19 Apr 2013, 08:05

phlip wrote:If you're going with the collapsible-section style of spoiler tags (which I'll throw in my vote for), one thing that could be useful is an option to go like [spoiler="topic"]words[/spoiler], or something, so that you can easily specify what it is that's being spoiled. So, say, if I haven't seen the latest Strip Search yet, and I'm reading the thread for an earlier episode, and I see a spoiler labelled as "next episode", I know not to open it

That is a solid idea.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 19 Apr 2013, 11:22

hmm, perhaps [hidden][/hidden] for blue-on-blue text, for the current white-click-reveal, and [spoiler="title"][/spoiler] for collapsible boxes?
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 23 Apr 2013, 19:21

Paul wrote:

By the way, the winner of Strip Search is Everyone involved in the making of or viewing of the show :)

FTFY!

I like the new spoiler text, its much easier than the drag and highlight. I do sorta like the idea of the "hidden" box idea too though, its a little cleaner visually and as was stated, images.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 23 Apr 2013, 19:46

While it might be a bit much, it would be nice to have [hidden] for the blue-on-blue old spoilers (which have been used for easter eggs and jokes in posts), [spoiler] for the current white-outed ones, and [collapse] for the expandable boxes (which while they can't be used in-line, are nice for images and giving context to spoilers).
Avistew

Postby Avistew » 24 Apr 2013, 07:51

I agree that it would be nice to have all 3, but it might be confusing for people who aren't sure which does what and it kind of seems like overkill.
Paul
Super Moderator

Postby Paul » 24 Apr 2013, 12:16

I like using [collapse="title"] for the the box style spoilers. That makes more clear that they are totally different from the standard highlight spoiler and also indicates that they don't necessarily have to be "spoilers" as such (eg. sections in a long post, large images, long lists, etc).

I am inclined to not have [hidden] as a standard BBcode, simply because I don't really want to encourage the behaviour of hiding words at the end of posts. If people really want to do it, they can use the [color] tag (but keep in mind that mobile clients probably won't be able to see it).
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 24 Apr 2013, 12:20

That works for me.

Return to “Site News”