KickStarter Smoothie

For videos that aren't... y'know... "real". Whatever Thing, Phailhaüs, etc.
Yorick
First Video: The Whole Story: Pants

Re: KickStarter Smoothie

Postby Yorick » 16 Oct 2014, 14:41

Oh, damn! In my defense: The first thing goggle throws at me is TripAdvisor lying to the world that it's 110 volts.
So the blender is even more powerful than I thought.
Official spokesman for the Amalgamated union of Scrubs and Casuals.
Sakurazaki
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby Sakurazaki » 16 Oct 2014, 15:52

Eric the Orange wrote:Just a thought, how much do we gotta pay to make you guys take another round from the suggestions. I mean their are like another 170 suggestions.

I eagerly await the "Year of LRR... Drinking Weird Smoothies" Kickstarter :wink:

Seriously though, I would pay money to watch more of this. Given 182 suggestions and 21 ingredients per video, you could probably do another 5 or 6 videos if you ignore duplicate ingredients to prevent repetition.
theashigaru
First Video: The Con

Postby theashigaru » 16 Oct 2014, 16:02

Glorious return!

I gotta admit though, I was kinda hoping that you guys would've saved a couple of spoonfuls of each one to make one last glass. The 'final boss' if you will.
Is it safe?
Snowman
First Video: Unskippable 01 - Lost Plane

Postby Snowman » 16 Oct 2014, 16:08

It is not surprising the butter tastes like ice cream; several are pretty much butter, sugar, flavoring and mixed so it has a certain amount of air in it as it sets
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 16 Oct 2014, 16:10

Yeah, it was essentially flavoured whipped butter. I've tried both lemon ice cream and licorice ice cream, so I can't imagine that being too unpleasant.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 16 Oct 2014, 16:37

Paul: "I feel like all of our smoothies are going to be the same colour when we're done"
Oh how wrong you were, Paul.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 16 Oct 2014, 16:47

Oh, The Sorrows of Young Werther had nothing on those facial expressions. You could almost see the taste. Except for the one with durian, I have no idea how that tastes and I'm scared to find out.

Some culinary tips: Avocado is the shit if you put just a little bit of salt on it, as I found out last year after treating it as a firmly average fruit my whole life. And salmiakk is actually poisonous in large qualities, and can easily make your tummy feel funny if you're not used to it. Perfect excuse if anyone felt any aftereffects from the challenge.

Idea for the next level of The Iron Stomach Challenge: FOUR ingredients!
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
BlueChloroplast
First Video: something on the escapist

Postby BlueChloroplast » 16 Oct 2014, 17:48

A note on the coldness, apparently cold dulls flavour, so that is why a particular brand of cheap beer advertises the cold activated colour change on their cans. If the beer is colder you can't taste that it is bad.
Walkhard
First Video: Fridaynights Politics

Postby Walkhard » 16 Oct 2014, 23:12

I love Heather at the end trying the smoothie. Really wished I could have seen that reaction.
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 16 Oct 2014, 23:46

You guys should make this an annual thing! :D
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Mara Kalat
First Video: I wish I remembered... (but am not bot!)

Postby Mara Kalat » 17 Oct 2014, 02:21

Robo4900 wrote:You guys should make this an annual thing! :D

I don't mean to be rude, but you misspelled 'weekly' there.
This was an awesome thing to watch (over dinner, because immersion!) and I'm so glad it got made.

Mara.

What if Alan Turing came up with the test because he was actually a robot and wanted people to find out?
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 17 Oct 2014, 12:17

It kind of makes me thing what of any of those ingredients couldn't be made palatable with the addition of a pound of butter
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 17 Oct 2014, 17:16

I think that calls for another ISC!
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 18 Oct 2014, 04:40

Yorick wrote:Oh, damn! In my defense: The first thing goggle throws at me is TripAdvisor lying to the world that it's 110 volts.
So the blender is even more powerful than I thought.

Power systems are actually pretty variable. US Mains power is usually 110~120 VAC (nominally 115), but 220~240 VAC (nominally 230) for high-power appliances like electric dryers and clothes washers.
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 18 Oct 2014, 07:58

Master Gunner wrote:I think that calls for another ISC!

This plz!
Yorick
First Video: The Whole Story: Pants

Postby Yorick » 18 Oct 2014, 11:42

This does call for another ISC.
Official spokesman for the Amalgamated union of Scrubs and Casuals.
Gap Filler
First Video: The Job

Postby Gap Filler » 18 Oct 2014, 13:29

That's a full return on my investment right there, even without my ingredient making it out of the hat.

Though I do wonder if there's stock in compiling a list of everyone's ingredients just to pour over the rejecteds for what could have beens.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
Scud422
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby Scud422 » 19 Oct 2014, 00:12

So, the Smutto was corn smut and/or nutto. Not finding huitlacoche is understandable, but you guys also couldn't find any nutto? Those awful beans would have made a fine addition to ISC.
We'll wack the wack before the wack can wack back.
romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Postby romangoro » 20 Oct 2014, 16:30

So... I got inspired by Beej's smoothie:

With a few extra ingredients...

A fine mess I got myself into
(Actually that's is after the worst of the mess, I could not handle a camer at that point.)

Goatting there...

First batch!

All of the Beejookies:

And here they are in their natural environment, todays breakfast, joining my mate, incidentally, the same one of my avatar.

Story time: when in the video they were preparing Beej's "drink" I shouted to the screen "Don't add water, add sugar, flour and make cookies!". So I had to do it. I strained from the smoothie in a few things: I peeled the ginger, grinded the lemon to keep only the yellow of the peel and squeezed the juice, throwing out the rest. Also I only used half a pound of butter (200g actually), since I made them for myself, and a full pound would have been too much. I wanted to buy a 400g stick, but didn't get one.

It got a bit messy since I'm more of an improviser in the kitchen, and that's not good for baking. I had less flour than I needed and lacked a few utensils for the task, specially a rolling pin to stretch the dough before cutting (used a bottle) Also, I don't have Beej's powerful blender, so I had to cut and mix a lot of things by hand.

So! Recipe for those who might want to try it.
Ingredients:
Lemon, one.
Butter, 1/2 a pound. Leave it out of the fridge a while before you use it.
Ginger, a piece (200g maybe? It could have used more.)
Sugar, a cup.
Egg, one (there are two on the pic., but used only one)
Rising flour, more than the two and a half cups I had, at least three? See below.
Extra flour for the table, rolling pin and your hands.

Grind the lemon's peel and the ginger. Do Not make the mistake I made of trying to chop the ginger. it will be tiring and leave you with a lot of small chunks of ginger, which is fine, but not ideal. Squeeze the lemon's juice too

Mix the butter (You should have left the butter out of the fridge a while before this. You should always do this when baking, it's better if the butter is kind of soft) with the sugar, the lemon (both peels and juice) and the ginger. Add an egg, maybe two if they are small. Mix all together until it's a rather uniform paste. The lemon juice may cut the butter and/or the eggs, don't worry about this too much.

Add the flour slowly, remembering to sift it. At this point whateer instrument you're using to mix won't be enough and you'll have to go in by hand. Having someone to help you add the flour would be nice. Keep adding flour until the dough is no longer sticky. I think the less flour you add, the fluffiest the cokies, but don't quote me on that one.

Now comes the easy part: stretch the dough to about the height of your little finger palms down,
not too thin or they'll burn before they rise. Cut them however you want, using a glass, toe cap of a jam jar or, if you're a pro, actual cookie cutters. Set them in whatever you have for the oven with some space between them, since they should grow in there. Then into the pre-warmed oven until they smell like cookies, plus a little bit.

Yes, I'm being vague here. I've never had nor known anone who had an oven with a thermometer plus I didn't time the batches. For me, part of the art/science of baking is knowing your own oven and eyeballing the power and time for whatever you're doing. The best approximation I can give you is "Hot, but by no means too hot" and "about 10 minutes, maybe a bit more?".

And voilá

TL;DR version for those who already know how to bake!
Grind the ginger and lemon's peel, squeeze the lemon's juice, mix with the butter and the sugar. Add egg(s), mix well; then add flour until you have a cookie dough of your liking. Stretch not too thin (about the height of your little finger) and bake for about 10 to 15 min each batch. Sorry, I don't know the right temperature, see longer version for cultural details.
matthewm
First Video: Sometthing from years ago.

Postby matthewm » 20 Oct 2014, 23:44

365 Zines a Year: Zine and mini-comic reviews.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 21 Oct 2014, 01:02

Matthew that's amazing.
Also, yeeeeeesh O_O
Mara Kalat
First Video: I wish I remembered... (but am not bot!)

Postby Mara Kalat » 21 Oct 2014, 01:43

It's like a rainbow of flavour!

Mara.

What if Alan Turing came up with the test because he was actually a robot and wanted people to find out?
romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Postby romangoro » 21 Oct 2014, 06:38

Sooo on stream Beej corrected me that his smoothie wasn't ginger but black licorice. Oops. Apparently I complete mixed the smoothies up, I guess because my mind kept up front the image of Beej dropping the full ginger and someone else looking like "wow, just like that?"

Also, I have no idea what black licorice, nor any licorice for that matter, is, much less if I can get it around here.
matthewm
First Video: Sometthing from years ago.

Postby matthewm » 21 Oct 2014, 07:32

Graham wrote:Matthew that's amazing.
Also, yeeeeeesh O_O

I'm just impressed that you guys had the handle pointing in the same direction every time : )
365 Zines a Year: Zine and mini-comic reviews.
Arclight_Dynamo
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 21 Oct 2014, 08:56

romangoro wrote:Also, I have no idea what black licorice, nor any licorice for that matter, is, much less if I can get it around here.

Licorice. Though I think that what Beej had was this particular variety. To get the same flavour, if you can't get either those things, you can use licorice extract, anise, or fennel. With sugar and salt added to match the salmiakki's taste. (I assume... I've only ever eaten non-salmiakki black licorice).

matthewm wrote:I'm just impressed that you guys had the handle pointing in the same direction every time : )

I believe the reason for that was to hide the "A&W" logo on the back side of the glass.

:P

Return to “Bonus Video”