Star Trek Online

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
FFN
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming, I think

Re: Star Trek Online

Postby FFN » 03 Dec 2009, 18:09

Yeah, IIRC, they said you could name your bridge crew members, customize what they look like and so on.

I'm sure you'll be able to select your registry number, but I doubt that will show up on the actual ship texture. I hope it does, though.

AeroCmdr wrote:Also if anyone has played Bridge Commander then they may want to look into Star Trek Excalibur.
I reinstall BC once a year to see what new mods have been made. I remember LC Amaral's team and their Excalibur model (and various bridge models). They do fine work, but something of this magnitude, I doubt we will see this released any time soon.
Last edited by FFN on 03 Dec 2009, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.tfwiki.net, the Transformers Wiki - Serious intellectual discussion about transforming space robots.
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 03 Dec 2009, 19:52

Duuuuuuuude...s. Someone's gotta totally name their ship the USS Roflcopter.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
FFN

Postby FFN » 03 Dec 2009, 19:58

Yet another interview explains (sorta) crafting and STO's economy:
http://www.techulous.com/news/exclusive-interview-star-trek-onlines-daniel-stahl.html
http://www.tfwiki.net, the Transformers Wiki - Serious intellectual discussion about transforming space robots.
InsaneFool
First Video: How to Talk like a Pirate

Postby InsaneFool » 03 Dec 2009, 20:31

Some kinda player driven expansion would be nice, so that you can have non-hub space stations that you can go to for refit and repairs without having to go all the way to the nearest Starfleet/Klingon outpost.
Personal Fail Count: 3ish? (So Far)
Follow me on Twitter
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 03 Dec 2009, 20:35

So, if you explode in space...what happens? Do you have to drive a ghost ship to collect the pieces?
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

Vanguard
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Vanguard » 03 Dec 2009, 20:43

For the four hours they let me play tonight it kind of didn't come up. If I can tell you without fear of being sued into destitution I'll let you know once I figure it out.
ImageImageImageImage
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 03 Dec 2009, 20:47

Gordon Fearman wrote:So, if you explode in space...what happens? Do you have to drive a ghost ship to collect the pieces?

From what I've heard, you just go back to the last spawn point (station, where you entered the system, or something) with a bit of damage.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 03 Dec 2009, 21:02

Also, can I play space pirates? Or robotic space ghost pirates?

Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 03 Dec 2009, 21:38

Maquis?

-m

I am not angry at you.
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 03 Dec 2009, 21:43

Matt wrote:Maquis?

-m

I'm more interested in playing a Q, myself.
FFN

Postby FFN » 03 Dec 2009, 21:51

I think they've said in interviews that when you die in space, you just go back to the last spawn point with a loss of crew (the unseen redshirt ones that make up your ship's health). In away missions, if your avatar carks it, I think they said one of your away team members can revive you or something, but if all are defeated, then you respawn elsewhere.

Matt wrote:Maquis?

-m
By STO's time, the Maquis have been wiped out for 30-odd years, though. Cryptic (or more likely, Paramount) seem to be real sticklers for continuity in this game's backstory.
CtMolloy

Postby CtMolloy » 04 Dec 2009, 03:06

I think if your ship blows up you should get escape pods, and have to fly back to a station or something...
Kinda like your pod in EVE.

I play far too much EVE... and I will probably end up playing FAR too much of STO.
InsaneFool

Postby InsaneFool » 04 Dec 2009, 06:14

God I hope they are more forgiving than EVE...That game's PVP is just evil
Follow me on Twitter
Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » 04 Dec 2009, 08:06

On that subject I can say with a great deal of confidence, having played both, that combat in STO is a hell of a lot more fun.
ImageImageImageImage
FFN

Postby FFN » 04 Dec 2009, 14:05

CtMolloy wrote:I think if your ship blows up you should get escape pods, and have to fly back to a station or something...

I play far too much EVE... and I will probably end up playing FAR too much of STO.
That would kind of suck if you just lost your starting ship, though, or you lose your latest ship.
CtMolloy

Postby CtMolloy » 04 Dec 2009, 17:20

FFN wrote:
CtMolloy wrote:I think if your ship blows up you should get escape pods, and have to fly back to a station or something...

That would kind of suck if you just lost your starting ship, though, or you lose your latest ship.

yeah i guess it would.
I doubt it will have anywhere hear the harden the fuck up or gtfo attitude EVE has.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 04 Dec 2009, 17:21

From what I've gathered about EVE online it's a horrible game that people play to prove that they can spend hours not having fun.

InsaneFool

Postby InsaneFool » 04 Dec 2009, 17:26

The appealing thing about EVE is that the developers basically went "here is an entire galaxy to mess around in...go have fun".

there isn't a lot of meddling from the developers, just about everything is player driven.
Follow me on Twitter
CtMolloy

Postby CtMolloy » 04 Dec 2009, 18:38

InsaneFool wrote:The appealing thing about EVE is that the developers basically went "here is an entire galaxy to mess around in...go have fun".

there isn't a lot of meddling from the developers, just about everything is player driven.

Yup. that's what i like about it. It doesn't hold your hand, it doesn't tell you that its safe to undock or tell everyone to play nice and it's unforgiving if you do stupid things but it won't stop you from doing them. You can do whatever you want.
Admitedly its pretty confusing at first and sucks to play by yourself. but if you find some cool people to fly with that will help teach you and stuff it can be alot of fun. I guess i got lucky there. my corp is awesome.

I think i would be right in thinking Star trek will be alot clearer in showing you how to play the game than EVE, i doubt that, other than being internet space ships there will be much comparison at all.
Infact one of the guys in my EVE alliance was talking about STO online a while ago, hes in the closed beta, and we have barely seen him. so it might be far better than EVE... I can't wait to play it...
FFN

Postby FFN » 04 Dec 2009, 18:49

I've heard people say EVE is pretty durn unfun. I figure from what Cryptic have said they'll make this more of a casual MMO that focuses on fun, so yeah, they'll probably make things really clear.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 04 Dec 2009, 18:51

BAWAH!? A game that's focused on fun!? But how will Blizzard make money?

FFN

Postby FFN » 04 Dec 2009, 19:28

The way they've been doing it for the past 6-odd years: by selling their souls to the Devil. :D
Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » 04 Dec 2009, 20:03

FFN wrote:

I can answer that question now: your ship explodes, it respawns in the same system/map after a brief period of time, repeat process as necessary.
ImageImageImageImage
CtMolloy

Postby CtMolloy » 04 Dec 2009, 20:30

FFN wrote:I've heard people say EVE is pretty durn unfun. I figure from what Cryptic have said they'll make this more of a casual MMO that focuses on fun, so yeah, they'll probably make things really clear.

Ive heard alot of people say alot of things... EVE is really what you make it. I like hte sound of STO being more casual though.

Maybe i can play both games at the same time.
FFN

Postby FFN » 05 Dec 2009, 14:25

CtMolloy wrote:Maybe i can play both games at the same time.
As Yahtzee said in the Army of Two? review, you should film that because that's quite a talent you have there.

Return to “Video Games”