Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection

Postby SilPho » 02 Feb 2012, 06:00

I know the MGS HD collection has been out in the States since around Desert Bus, but it comes out here in the UK on tomorrow (Friday), so with that comes a potential discussion point:

Which order did you, will you, or would you play through the titles?

I've played through 2 and 3, which leaves me with three choices
Release chronology: Relive my past experiences with the series, culminating in a new game in Peace Walker?
Series chronology: 3 then Peace Walker then 2.
Or do I dive into the "new blood" with Peace Walker and then flip a coin for the other 2?

I'm thinking 2 then 3 then Peace Walker, but I wonder if the fact that I've never played Peace Walker means I should do that one first to avoid getting sick of the genre after 2 and 3.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Re: Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection

Postby Geoff_B » 02 Feb 2012, 06:06

No MGS1. No MGS4. No way. No how.

Sorry but I think it's a severe dropping of the ball to put 2 and 3 together (which were great games - I have them both for PS2) and not at least include 1 with them.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 02 Feb 2012, 06:24

If it's not got one, I'm not interested. In fact, the ONLY reason I was going to buy this was for the first one. 2 didn't interest me. LOVED 3. But I'd honestly like to see a HD remake of the first one most of all.

I'll probably take a look at it in a few years when the price sharply drops but right now, I can't justify buying it. Even though I'd love a working copy of Snake Eater again.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 02 Feb 2012, 11:29

As someone who never played any of them, I definitely would have picked it up for XBox if they had included 1. Without it, why bother?
RobertMc123

Postby RobertMc123 » 02 Feb 2012, 16:02

I have always had a wierd disconnect with the MGS series, see I love love love Metal Gear Solid 1 on PSX, it was the game that cemented me as a console gamer, not only that, it made me more of a "hardcore" gamer that in the sense of playing it I was thinking "yeah, this is awesome, I want more experiences like this" and played more and more games.
I went out and bought a PS2 when it was priced at a silly amount, just to get Zone Of The Enders and the MGS2 demo, it was fun. Then I got MGS2 and it sucked balls. Gameplay wise it was solid, but the story and script were trully fucking terrible. I skipped MGS3 due to my dislike of MGS2, only to be told it was a great experience, I tried to play it recently but felt it was unplayable. I have finished MGS4 though and whilst it had some nice moments, the return to Shadow Moses was impactful, I felt the game once again had a terrible story and worse script. Also the game should have ended at least 20 minutes before it actually did, and the overlong ending cut scenes were just mind-numbingly bad.

I did some research about this, why the disconnect existed, turns out one of the main people in charge of locallising the first MGS to European and American Playstations took the script and completely re-wrote it to make it more like an action movie, to give it better pacing but also so it wasn't as hokey as the original Japanese script. Kojima signed off on it but changed only one thing, he added the "can love bloom on a battlefield" bit.
This guy was shit canned and did not work on any of the other games and that is where the disconnect comes in. The people who locallised the other games in the series actually just transalted the game pretty much verbatim, Rather than actually localise the game, they just translated it and shoved it in front of us as if to say "here, this is what you want" and it explains a whole lot. The disconnect exists because the scripts ARE terrible, no one can say MGS has a good over arching story, it's terrible.

I heard a rumour that they were negotiating with Silicon Knights and Nintendo to try and port The Twin Snakes to the MGS HD Collection but that would be awful too, because Twin Snakes is what MGS1 would be if it had been just translated. The script is bad, the cut scenes have too much wire-fu, over the top action that makes Snake seem like a super hero instead of just a soldier.

I toyed with the idea of buying the HD collection just for MGS3 and Peacewalker but I stopped myself because MGS2 would just piss me off too much and it would remind me of the ending of MGS4. (Stupid Liquid Snake fight, Snake should have died after crawling down that corridor!)
BrianRichardson
First Video: Installation Anxiety (original)

Postby BrianRichardson » 02 Feb 2012, 17:22

I love Snake Eater, but man MGS2 was just so irritating with raiden's voice. I hate him so much! He just constantly whines, all the time, incessently! Atleast they made him an awesome robo-ninja in 4.
SilPho

Postby SilPho » 03 Feb 2012, 04:52

Nobody ever actually answered my original question regarding which one to play first. I'm not going to be persuaded not to buy it :)

For what it's worth, here's my take on it why MGS1 isn't there: The effort it would take to remake the first game in true HD would make it worthy of its own disk release, and there are a lot of people who would buy that. Though why they pulled the download codes for the PS1 version I'm not sure.

As for Twin Snakes, I reckon they have a very good reason to not port that over as well, probably licensing issues if you ask me.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 03 Feb 2012, 07:51

That's probably true (at least the slightly more sinister 'people would pay for that one on its own'). All it means is I wait for it, then by the HD collection when it's in bargain-bin territory. Probably have an Xbox 720 then.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 11 Feb 2012, 04:36

MGS 3, Peace Walker, MG1, MG2, MGS 1 (Wii), MGS 2 and then MGS 4.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 11 Feb 2012, 06:11

How about Snake's Revenge?
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
SilPho

Postby SilPho » 14 Feb 2012, 13:32

I opted for Peace Walker since it's something I've never played before. Wasn't keen on the segmented structure of the game (I know it needed to be like that for the PSP) but it's growing on me.

Still really looking forward to playing 2 and 3 again too, and I hadn't realised until recently that MG1 and MG2 are in MGS3. So I can give those a try as well.

Return to “Video Games”