Pokemon Black & White General Thread (Available Now)

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
DJScythe15
First Video: Rejected Wii Play Games

Re: Pokemon Black & White General Thread (Available Now)

Postby DJScythe15 » 17 Mar 2011, 11:53

Ah, Dragon Age. It's a shame two great games with shared fans have to come out at the same time.

I'm afraid I've sunk into the maddening world of EV/IV training. So many Pokemon bred for a certain nature and EV set-up. I'm ashamed to say I have at least 2 boxes full of Mudkips whose stats I've plugged into the Serebii IV calc and have found lacking.
I tend to be overly apologetic. Sorry about that.

Game Info:
Steam: djscythe15
Pokemon White: DJScy / FC:0690-4616-8450
House MD
First Video: Cronologically in LRR's timeline or mine
Location: Chester, it's like where I used to live, but more northern.

Postby House MD » 18 Mar 2011, 05:49

I'll post my friend code once I get home from work, but I might be available for one of those nights.
Just gimme a time and date.
I am the physical manifestation of the Phailhaus. SO much so, my friends call me it.
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 18 Mar 2011, 05:50

So I caved and got one... just like I did with Magic... I suck...
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
octopimpostor
First Video: Halo

Postby octopimpostor » 18 Mar 2011, 06:54

It won't let me connect to the Internet. I have an OG Ds
My total fail count: 6
Dubious_wolf wrote:
octopimpostor wrote:My total fail count: 7...8

[/quote]
Link to my desert bus video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGrIfi2ORK8
my other video that will soon be a series is here. REAL VIDEOGAME CHARACTERS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj2T7wIymsk
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 18 Mar 2011, 08:39

Literally went and picked up Black today. Haven't yet decided if I'm a boy or a girl yet, let alone starting pokemon. Once I figure out my friend code, I'll post it here, though I don't know how active I'll be with the wireless aspect...
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 18 Mar 2011, 08:45

I've finally started playing the copy of White I brought with me to PAX but never touched. I'm just about to fight the second gym leader... my Tepig is now... whatever the chubby pig in a singlet is called. :mrgreen: Pignite, I think?

I'm still trying to figure out what my team is going to be. I haven't met many that I really like... and I haven't had to build a new team completely from scratch (no known pokemon) since, gosh, Ruby? It's a brave new world.

I keep forgetting the Games forum is even here... and I wonder why no one's talking about games. :roll: I'll post my friend code tonight.
DJScythe15

Postby DJScythe15 » 18 Mar 2011, 10:03

@House MD, aeric90, Myrph, and AlexanderDitto: Welcome to the crew! If you need any help or are looking for a trade, just say so and we'll try to help as best we can.

@AlexanderDitto: I admit a lot of the early Pokemon didn't seem to be the kind I would want in my team, but some better choices show up later. Additionally, if you happen to be anywhere close to someone else with another DS, your old D/P/Pt/HG/SS team may not be completely gone once you finish the main story, via the PokeTransfer.

@aeric: Behold the power of geek peer pressure! MWAHAHAHA!!!

@octoimposter: Doh, sorry to hear that. If you happen to be desperate to connect, you can try to find one of the old DS wireless USB dongles, although they can have troubles of their own.

Game Info:
xdeathknightx
First Video: It's Magic

Postby xdeathknightx » 18 Mar 2011, 10:15

I'll never be a great poke battler. I always want different types in my team. So electric, fire, rock, fighting, grass and water or something like that. Plus when I get the text "but they already know 4 moves" I can't help myself and press forget. New moves are my drugs.
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 18 Mar 2011, 10:17

DJScythe15 wrote:@aeric: Behold the power of geek peer pressure! MWAHAHAHA!!!

If only this worked backwards and I guilt you guys into playing hockey or rugby.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 18 Mar 2011, 10:36

aeric90 wrote:
DJScythe15 wrote:@aeric: Behold the power of geek peer pressure! MWAHAHAHA!!!

If only this worked backwards and I guilt you guys into playing hockey or rugby.

It kind of works... I'm going back to the ice skating rink on Saturday. :shock:
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 18 Mar 2011, 11:41

xdeathknightx wrote:I'll never be a great poke battler. I always want different types in my team. So electric, fire, rock, fighting, grass and water or something like that.

So much this. I also have a prejudice against moves that do not hurt my opponent. It lowers their speed? Heck with that, give me something that shoots fireballs.
xdeathknightx
First Video: It's Magic

Postby xdeathknightx » 18 Mar 2011, 12:20

MotorWaffle wrote:
xdeathknightx wrote:I'll never be a great poke battler. I always want different types in my team. So electric, fire, rock, fighting, grass and water or something like that.

So much this. I also have a prejudice against moves that do not hurt my opponent. It lowers their speed? Heck with that, give me something that shoots fireballs.

Yeah indeed. Extra defense? Why would I need that when I can burn them to a crisp.
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 18 Mar 2011, 19:47

My friend code is 3911 7106 0012, by the way, if anyone wants to register me. The name's Alex.
DJScythe15

Postby DJScythe15 » 18 Mar 2011, 20:41

I may need a little help with training up my team; I've currently got a Scyther I'd like to evolve into a Scizor, but I don't have a Metal Coat to perform the evolution. There are two sources for the item in BW: in a section of Twist Mountain only accessible in the game's Winter season (April, August, December) or from a sunglasses-wearing treasure hunter on Route 13 who gives one of 27 items, including the Metal Coat, at random daily. Since I don't want to dick around with the game's clock, have had terrible luck with the treasure hunter, and am impatient, I figured I'd ask if anyone else has any to spare. I could offer some of the other items from the treasure hunter that I have found, including a Electirizer or Razor Claw, or maybe a Black Sludge. Anyone able to help?

EDIT: Doh, major fail on my part by not realizing that reseting without saving after getting the daily item lets you "re-roll" which item you get. Sorry about that. I am looking to evolve my Scythe in a trade still, so if anyone could help, it would be appreciated; I would be willing to spare one of the previously mentioned trade evolve items in return.
Last edited by DJScythe15 on 20 Mar 2011, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.

Game Info:
Ottoman

Postby Ottoman » 19 Mar 2011, 20:00

Until getting White, the only Pokémon games I'd played were Yellow and FireRed; I'd heard that each successive generation just got worse, and so never bothered with the others. But when I heard that B/W were going to be partial reboots, I decided to give it a shot. . . and it's surprisingly fun. Well, you guys know that.

My team is Servine (Glissa), Boldore, Panpour, Swoobat, Blitzle, and Victini, so my type advantages are covered. And I got them all before the third gym, which is ridiculous. In a good way.

I like how there's a bit more story to this one; the travel is tied into quests rather than just walking down the next road you can find. And I'd say that the majority of the Pokémon I've seen don't even look that derpy. (Although, Vanillite? No.) It helps that quite a few of them are clones from Gen I, of course.

Once I get through some more of the main story, I'll try some of the online stuff. No idea how it works, though.

EDIT: Also, I'm playing through once without any sort of guide or internet help, which makes it just that much more interesting.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 20 Mar 2011, 00:44

EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 20 Mar 2011, 20:54

Just got White today, the gameplay improvements really make the game, what with the relatively.. well... meh Pokemon. I'd love to see some of the older versions with the new battle system and improvements. Having never missed a generation of Pokemon, I can safely say that this generation has some of the WORST Pokemon to date, that in comparison with Gen 3 that had a lot of the best Pokemon to date, even better than the originals, which had among them some derps. Really, who designed these? I mean, a few good ones, like the Snivy branch, don't make up for the crap.
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
EikoandMog

Postby EikoandMog » 20 Mar 2011, 22:54

gcninja wrote:*snip*

Yes, because the official Ken Sugimori artwork can totally compete with awesome-ised fanart. Yep, totally fair way of comparing designs.

I don't really have a problem with the new designs. There's a few that look pretty silly but there's a lot of good new pokemon people are overlooking in order to jump on the new generation hate bandwagon.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 20 Mar 2011, 23:30

I'm not hatin, I find that pic funny and thought you guys might enjoy it too. Heck I picked the fire pig cuz he looked the most bad ass. I really want one of those psychic things that can access dreams, theyre awesome and I like the new male/female differences of some pokemon
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
GreigKM

Postby GreigKM » 20 Mar 2011, 23:43

Like I said, there are good ones, but there are still more bad ones. I don't hate every newly designed Pokemon, I like most of the ones from Gen IV, and almost all of the ones from Gen III, and there are good, even great Gen V Pokemon, but I will still criticizes the fact that most of them are oddly designed, if not just outright poorly designed. The gameplay is fantastic, the best of any generation, the changes enjoyable and mostly necessary, however the years of designing such creative Pokemon seem to have left them with few new places to go.
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
octopimpostor
First Video: Halo

Postby octopimpostor » 21 Mar 2011, 07:12

So, the created of pokemon died during the tsunami
My total fail count: 6
Dubious_wolf wrote:
octopimpostor wrote:My total fail count: 7...8

[/quote]
Link to my desert bus video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGrIfi2ORK8
my other video that will soon be a series is here. REAL VIDEOGAME CHARACTERS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj2T7wIymsk
DJScythe15

Postby DJScythe15 » 21 Mar 2011, 07:27

octopimpostor wrote:So, the created of pokemon died during the tsunami

That was just a rumor actually.

Game Info:
KingOfDoma
First Video: ... ah, one of the Unskippables, I think

Postby KingOfDoma » 21 Mar 2011, 08:29

Have purchased Black. I weep for anyone who didn't play during PAX. The statistician sidequest thingy was done in MINUTES for me.

Would give out friend code, but my wi-fi is too awesome for my DS Lite. I'll gladly give it out if someone buys me a 3DS, though... :D

ImageImageImage
Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 22 Mar 2011, 10:23

Personally, I think This gen has some of the coolest new pokemon. The only ones I don't like, off the top of my head, are Serperior, Oshawott, Patrat, and Watchog.

EDIT: And stupid, stupid Swanna. Named my Ducklett Roscoe, hoping it yould live up to that name after evolution, and immediately regretted doing so when it evolved.
Image Image Image
GreigKM

Postby GreigKM » 22 Mar 2011, 10:54

Yeah, they're kinda growing on me... Still, not that immediate "Oh this is awesome" like in past generations. Except for Palpitoad, He is designed SO well it almost makes up for the rest, and that little dance he does, epic.
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much

Return to “Video Games”