Pokemon Black & White General Thread (Available Now)

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Kyogissun
First Video: Three PS3's or one of the X ways to Y

Pokemon Black & White General Thread (Available Now)

Postby Kyogissun » 28 May 2010, 09:06

TO THE UNOVA REGION WE WILL GO!!

Yes, the launch of the fifth Generation of the Pokemon series, Pokemon Black and White, is almost a month away and with that said, the thread is in need of an update.

For general info (and clarification on any or all past information that has most likely been updated) hit the link:

http://tinyurl.com/Black-WhiteBulbapedia

Pre-Order via these links!
Gamestop: http://tinyurl.com/BlackWhiteGamestop
Amazon (US): http://tinyurl.com/BlackWhiteAmazon
Amazon (CA): http://tinyurl.com/BlackWhiteAmazonCanada
Amazon (EU): http://tinyurl.com/BlackWhiteAmazonEurope

Be you a fan or someone who may have been desperately desiring an update to the mechanics of the game (Much like myself) this is most likely to be one of your most anticipated titles of the year.
Last edited by Kyogissun on 12 Apr 2011, 17:16, edited 10 times in total.
Currently Playing: Skyrim (Dawnguard), Bunch of Shit on Steam (Blame the Summer Sale), Tales of Graces f
Waiting For: Kingdom Hearts 3D, Torchlight II

I attend (almost) every FNM at Millenium Games in Henrietta.

Steam: OhYouFoal
XBL GT: Kyogissun
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Re: Pokemon Black/White Release Window Announced

Postby GreigKM » 28 May 2010, 09:44

Aw, 2011. Alright, I guess I'll train a few more lvl. 100's in the mean time... And I am getting black, not for the legendary, just 'cause I can.
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
Danzama
First Video: Wireless

Postby Danzama » 28 May 2010, 09:50

I might get white, if i can face the embarassment of getting a pokemon game.
not saying they arn't fun, i'm saying i'm fifteen not six
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 28 May 2010, 10:08

Pokemon Black and White? I sense an ENN joke...
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 28 May 2010, 10:09

The last pokemon game I owned was Yellow, and I'm happy keeping it that way.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 28 May 2010, 11:51

danzama wrote:I might get white, if i can face the embarassment of getting a pokemon game.

As a 19 year old guy, I'm not at all ashamed to say that I will most likely get this when it comes out. Not sure whether to get one or the other yet, I'll probably wait until release and just decide when I'm standing in front of the shelf!
Kyogissun

Postby Kyogissun » 28 May 2010, 12:02

Myrph wrote:
danzama wrote:I might get white, if i can face the embarassment of getting a pokemon game.

As a 19 year old guy, I'm not at all ashamed to say that I will most likely get this when it comes out. Not sure whether to get one or the other yet, I'll probably wait until release and just decide when I'm standing in front of the shelf!

As a 21 year old guy, I too can say I'm not at all ashamed and will DEFINITELY be getting it when it comes out.

It's a matter of what version though, it'll be a toss up of who prefers which legendary... And over time, which has the preferred version exclusives.
Currently Playing: Skyrim (Dawnguard), Bunch of Shit on Steam (Blame the Summer Sale), Tales of Graces f

elvor
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby elvor » 28 May 2010, 13:07

Pokemon seems to be having something of a resurgence among the (age 20ish) people I know at uni. Mostly girls too.

I did get Pearl, but dropped it rather quickly because oh god the grinding.
Kyogissun

Postby Kyogissun » 28 May 2010, 13:24

elvor wrote:Pokemon seems to be having something of a resurgence among the (age 20ish) people I know at uni. Mostly girls too.

You can solve that problem with trading, since traded pokemon get 2x exp gain. Makes the 'grind' MUCH more bearable.

And the resurgence is thanks to HG/SS's fixing of the system. The game now has an all touch interface that makes it more accessible than ever, the pokewalker is fun...

It's a rekindling for a lot of people. And with the apparently Playable Trainers this time around rumored to be in their twenties, people are feeling less and less guilty about playing pokemon.

Black and White is meant to be a rebirth from the franchise apparently, and since Heart Gold and Soul Silver launched in the states, Nintendo has more incentive to appeal to fans who've come back to the series. B&W might be their first step towards that. If Mario, Zelda, Kirby and their other various franchises can appeal to players young and old, why not pokemon too?

GreigKM

Postby GreigKM » 28 May 2010, 15:42

I am proud to say I never stopped playing Pokemon, sure I endured ridicule as I bought Sapphire Version, but when I was cranking out level 100s in Pearl and HeartGold, I was the king.
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 28 May 2010, 18:08

I was late getting into Gen II and III, but I will always love pokemon and never be ashamed of it. Except for all the sutesy stuff they keep adding in. They are trying to hard to broaden their demographic. If they try to hard they may find themselves shrinking it.
Image Image Image
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 30 May 2010, 20:19

Master Gunner wrote:The last pokemon game I owned was Yellow, and I'm happy keeping it that way.

This, only I own most of the GBC games (not Blue). I refuse to shell out $100 for a DS, and then $80 for each game.
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 31 May 2010, 03:52

I own Blue in addition to Yellow, and had a friend who had Red at the time. The only handheld I've ever owned (and thus far the only console I've ever bought with my own money) is the GameBoy Pocket, though I've also "acquired" my brother's old GBC. Personally, I'm happy with this arrangement, and while the DS has held some interest for me of late, not enough to get me to buy one.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 31 May 2010, 06:09

I've heard that the battle system is going to be retooled.

If so, then I'm very interested, given that Pokemon has the most primitive battle system this side of Paper Mario.
GreigKM

Postby GreigKM » 31 May 2010, 11:47

FFVII style battles, anyone? I think it could work.
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 31 May 2010, 11:55

GreigKM wrote:FFVII style battles, anyone? I think it could work.

ATB is a pretty common system. It's the materia system that makes FF7 unique. But thats seperate.

Rumour has it though that the game will have a more real time system.
Kyogissun

Postby Kyogissun » 31 May 2010, 21:26

sdhonda wrote:I've heard that the battle system is going to be retooled.

If so, then I'm very interested, given that Pokemon has the most primitive battle system this side of Paper Mario.

Not sure on that but it is confirmed that sprites actually have motion cycles now. No more 'only after entering battle' animations, full constant fluid movement.

I don't expect a battle system overhaul, it's fine as is. Simple to grasp. Type trumping will always be the key to winning... And as a 'collector' who's goal primarily is about trading and completing the single player, that's all I ever have to worry about. Since I don't go online and play other players, I don't have to care about EV's and such, for the most part at least.

But if it does get a change up, I hope it's not a total reworking, merely a fine tuning or adding of functionality.

GreigKM

Postby GreigKM » 01 Jun 2010, 05:50

On the topic of EVs, I hope they give us a way to monitor them other than "Oh yeah, they are there all right!"
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
Kyogissun

Postby Kyogissun » 03 Jun 2010, 16:27

GreigKM wrote:On the topic of EVs, I hope they give us a way to monitor them other than "Oh yeah, they are there all right!"

Yes, the game is in serious need of an improvement on the stat listing system, not being able to KNOW what my EV's are without a calculator is a real pain in the ass.

If I wanted to spend time calculating all that stuff myself, no offense to those who do the following, I'd go play a table top game. Pokemon is already simple enough, why not make a more simple way of viewing the most pointlessly complex part of the game?

I also should be able to track happiness by NUMBER as well, not by some stupid approval text from some 'pokemon checker'.

Kyogissun

Re: Pokemon Black & White General Thread (Rumors and Theories)

Postby Kyogissun » 10 Jun 2010, 22:29

So, as seen in the first post, the purpose now is no longer just a general one shot of a thread. I figured to just make this would prevent any need for future threads.

First off! According to various leaks of info 'everywhere' Pokemon Black and White are APPARENTLY going to make some amazingly awesome 'reveal' at E3. This IMHO is not 'entirely' surprising but still shocking to some degree, seeing as it would seem more like material for TGS 2010.

Moving on, rumors from 2ch have been circulating around the next issue of CoroCoro and more info for pokemon. Here's an excerpt ripped from pokebeach.com:

Current rumors hold that Black and White’s professor is female and named Araragi, that the evil team is named Team Plasma, that there will be triple battles, that there are around 150 new Pokemon, and that the silhouettes of the region’s legendary trio look like cotton, a dog, and a bipedal animal. Remember how we posted the three starter Pokemon’s names before they were ever officially confirmed? The source we used also has this information, so it may turn out to be true. Other completely unconfirmed rumors floating around are that the plot doesn’t involve collecting eight badges, that the main character knows how to excavate ruins, and that the protagonist’s father is an explorer. And according to the interwebz, Reshiram is Ice / Dragon and Zekrom is Electric / Dragon, and the two can change types during battle. Remember, these are obviously just rumors for now, but they are interesting nevertheless!

So, it looks like some massively appreciated changes are finally in the works... I'll explain them for those who haven't figured it out yet:

Removal of badges

-Cons: No more gym battles... That's about it

-Pros: No level cap on trainable pokemon, NO NEED FOR HM's, no more getting stuck in the game because you lack a pokemon to defeat a gym leader, no more needing to restrict a player from going to a town 'just' because of what level they are

Team Plasma

-Cons: Team Plasma? More liek team... Um... yeah, I got nothing

-Pros: Storyline may take a shift towards 'harvesting' pokemon of their raw energy, close to the manner in which D/P/Pt's plot somewhat tapped into, a slightly more sinister sounding evil organization name?

Triple Battles

-Cons: Holy shit, this is incredibly complicated, I don't want to do this!

Pros: Holy shit, this is really challenging!

Protagonist's father is an explorer and the professor is a woman this time

-Cons: Change to exploring the world and such may piss off fans who don't want dramatic changes to the game...

-Pros: This is the 'rebirth' of pokemon, the professors will be whatever, the parents will be whatever and the goal is no longer, 'GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL AND BECOME A POKEMON MASTER', there might not be an 'end' and might be an 'open world' game that will let you do whatever you want, within reason of course

So that's about all for now people. More to be posted here as time moves on.

GreigKM

Postby GreigKM » 11 Jun 2010, 07:40

So, the game is just dicking around and training? Might be fun...
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 11 Jun 2010, 12:39

Perhaps it's a, "More than one way to beat the game" scenario, where you could accomplish A, B, or C in order to win.

Pokemon gyms are one of my more favorite parts of the game, but an option to not do it right away when you can't due to wrong types would be great.
Image Image Image
Kyogissun

Postby Kyogissun » 11 Jun 2010, 17:12

Yes, I agree that while I don't want to see gyms go away ENTIRELY, I do hope the removal of them being the 'focus' outside of defeating Team _______ like it's been in past games is going to happen.

And again, the sooner HM's no longer become a requirement and/or are made to be 'separate' from the usual roster of moves, then the more free players are.

I'm hoping you're right though Sieg, allowing the players to have three different portions of the game to tackle going as:
-Training/Exploring
-Battling Gym Leaders and taking on the Isshu League
-Defeating Team Plasma

Would mean a lot more diversity and freedom for players in pokemon. In ADDITION to that, it could 'also' mean an extension in the game's overall lifespan of a playthrough.

Anywho, it appears a lot of the rumors are coming true, with these recent postings from the newest CoroCoro magazine, ya'll can check them out over at serebii.net.

Dr. Araragi is confirmed, there's a picture with a chunk of the isshu region, a screen that seems to be related to triple battles and lastly, the new Pokedex looks like a smart phone.

Pretty cool stuff so far.

Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 11 Jun 2010, 19:09

elvor wrote:Pokemon seems to be having something of a resurgence among the (age 20ish) people I know at uni. Mostly girls too.

I know what you mean, I haven't played a pokemon game since the GBA and I just picked up Heart Gold for some reason, I don't know why.

If anyone wants to trade or anything my friend code is 2021 3394 4213~
Kurt
First Video: N/A

Postby Kurt » 10 Jul 2010, 22:40

Getting White, no doubt. And I don't know what all the fuss is about being too old. My teammates and I started talking about it on the beginning of an eight-mile run; it lasted until the end of the run when we ran into the girls team... >.>
Keep in mind, these are all 16-17 year old highschool students with girlfriends, social lives, the whole shebang.

Return to “Video Games”