LRR Minecraft Server

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
DewKnight
First Video: Stalking

Re: LRR Minecraft Server

Postby DewKnight » 24 Sep 2014, 10:02

Probably a lot are just waiting, because they've seen the continuous updates and are satisfied. To those few people that come in every few days asking "Is it up yet?" I can almost guarantee a post here when that happens.

To anybody that could possibly be upset by this taking as long as it takes, screw them. What the hell did they contribute.

That's me though. And I'm a crazy old man. Feel free to blame it all on me too. They can't get mad at me.
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 24 Sep 2014, 11:49

I know Memo is working on it and thats all I need to know. It will be up when its up. No big deal.
ChroniclerC
First Video: Formal Complaint

Postby ChroniclerC » 24 Sep 2014, 12:21

I'm just trying really hard (and possibly failing :oops: ) to not constantly pester Memo for updates. *excitement intensifies*
A.K.A. Likal in some places.
Time Zone: US Central. Currently GMT -5
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 24 Sep 2014, 12:22

In good news, the progress I've made means the End is done, the Nether is 90% done (There are a few things I'd like to work on, but they're things that I've decided that, if they don't get fixed, I'm not worrying too much about them.), and progress has started on the Overworld. We'll see how it goes. I'm not really too into Cam's stream ever since he went back to XCOM again, so maybe I'll get something done tonight.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 24 Sep 2014, 12:42

Heck, I've been pretty absent, but I keep an eye on this thread, and to be honest, the main reason I was remaining silent is that everyone had already stated my opinion - "everything's cool, we can wait; life happens"

I know it's gonna be hard to fight, but you might wanna make that annoying illogical part of your brain to consider this possibility about 'the silent majority'...or even that they don't really care one way or the other ;)

But seriously, this is the Internet: if they were upset about it, do you REALLY think they'd hold their tongues?!? :lol:

So take yer time, enjoy yourself, we all know you're devoting as much as you healthily can to this, and we'll be fine in the interim.

(heck, if you take your time, those of us with that dang 'memory leak' or whatever it is from 1.8 might have it solved by then, and we'd be more likely to partake of a working server...that's been my big factor in only MC'ing solo since the update...)
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 24 Sep 2014, 12:44

Like I said: irrational brain makes irrational decisions and has irrational fears. Probably compounded by depression, getting into an "everyone hates me, including myself" funk. If I could just learn to trust myself, maybe I could start trusting others, too.

craddz1967
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby craddz1967 » 25 Sep 2014, 06:27

ChroniclerC wrote:Life happens, we understand. Take as much time as you need. ^_^

I concur
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 25 Sep 2014, 06:33

craddz1967 wrote:
ChroniclerC wrote:Life happens, we understand. Take as much time as you need. ^_^

I concur

Ceiran
First Video: 1337

Postby Ceiran » 25 Sep 2014, 14:28

Having spent the last few weeks trying to undermine UK politics and/or turn my flat into an independent state, I didn't feel there was anything needed said other than the "life happens, all in your own time" thing. However, if it helps, I can make enough internet noise for everyone?

Seriously though, you're doing a grand job and I look forward to it being ready.
SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby SilPho » 25 Sep 2014, 22:45

See, some of us have lives that are too busy to even make time to play Minecraft, let alone manage a whole server update and chunk review.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 25 Sep 2014, 23:37

Technically, that includes me, too, but you know... :D

Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 26 Sep 2014, 06:45

I've found its usually the people too busy to take on ANYTHING ELSE, are the ones who somehow find the time to do one more thing. It's the ones that only complain they are busy that can be relied upon NOT to do anything at all to help/do.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
TStodden
First Video: Checkpoint #067: Final Fantasy Apology
Location: Siouxland Empire, USA, Earth, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby TStodden » 29 Sep 2014, 02:53

I know that I haven't said it verbally yet, but I really do appreciate the work that went into the server PRIOR to me joining as well as the difficult task of surgically prepping the world for 1.8 as I know how much space a world in Minecraft take (~0.025 GB / km^2 explored at last calculation, based on a 100 km^2 world)... As well as all the work it takes to make some of those structure. Command Block programming is NOT EASY to properly implement either (as my offline tests have shown me).

I'll likely keep occasionally throwing money at the server (when fiscally possible) to help ensure LRR crafts survival.
~TStodden
(Going Text based as Photobucket is being a jerk)
RoentgeniumFinger

Postby RoentgeniumFinger » 01 Oct 2014, 10:48

The reason I have been mostly silent is due more to me having nothing to add to the conversation. Do I want the server up? Absolutely. It's pretty much the only server I play on, and single player is a bit lonely. But am I going to be a jerk and demand you have it up on my schedule? Of course not. That's like cussing out your waiter. Don't make an enemy out of the one handling your food.

I've never been annoyed at the time it's taken. If anything, I am more forgiving, as my main thought has been 'wow, this must be more complicated than I thought" (what I thought was you clicking a button that said 'update'). I would personally like a status update every now and then on your progress, but don't bend over backwards for someone like me. It's done when it's done and I am okay with that.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 01 Oct 2014, 12:42

Well, it's not complicated, really. It's just tedious.

The previous updates have been just that: stopping the server, downloading a new file, replacing the old one, and starting it back up.

In this update, I could actually just do that. However, the underlying problem comes from the fact that I did do that in 1.7, too, and it created a bit of an issue. The server will work just fine if I just update to 1.8, on a technical level.

However, the problem with 1.7 came from the fact that a bunch of people wanted to see the new terrain and the new blocks and new resources, etc. etc. Mojang completely redid the terrain generation algorithm in 1.7. (This was a very minor issue in the transition between 1.4 and 1.5, due to the addition of Nether Quartz. Any 1.4 chunks wouldn't have it, so you'd have to explore farther to get 1.5 chunks and find Nether Quartz.)

That was a problem because a ton of people had already explored all over the fuppin' place from 1.3 (what this server started at) to 1.6. Thus, all of the old chunks would remain as 1.6 chunks and only new areas would become 1.7 chunks. Therefore, since there were already a ton of loaded and explored chunks, they would not be regenerated, and would stay as 1.6 chunks. These 1.6 chunks would not have all the new stuff from 1.7 in them. So, this is a project I really should have done in the transition between 1.6 and 1.7, but failed to do so, and it just made people explore farther and farther out to get the new chunks, which expanded the map, and thus, all the files, causing server load.

In 1.8, there are a bunch of new block types, but it's not as dramatic as the 1.7 transition. However, since the problem already existed, I decided to use the upgrade as a time to fix the problem.

So, it's a problem that I should've fixed sometime in October/November of 2013, but I didn't see that it was such a big problem until it was well too late, and I didn't want to take the server down just to make these changes. However, since I had to take the server down for the 1.8 upgrade, I decided to do this, too.

Also, bear in mind that in November of 2013, Desert Bus 7 was going on, and then after that, it was into the Christmas season, and following that, LRL started up and I ended up with the increased server load problem due to James' stream, and by the time I got down from all of that, it was months into 2014 and the problem had severely entrenched itself.

As for updates, absolutely nothing has gotten done since the last time. I've not had the time to continue with this due to depression, work, sleep, and LRL. Still at:

End: 100% done
Nether: 90% done and not high on priorities
Overworld: Maybe 5% done

ChroniclerC

Postby ChroniclerC » 01 Oct 2014, 21:13

Out of curiosity, what actually goes into deleting chunks? Is it something you can do natively in the Minecraft client, or does it require a world editor?
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 01 Oct 2014, 23:10

You can't do it in Minecraft itself. I'm using MCEdit. I'm making sure a chunk is completely unused for anything significant, and if not, deleting it. All it takes is a click on the chunk and then hitting the delete button to delete it, but I want to make sure because there's no going back. While individual block edits can be undone in MCEdit, a chunk deletion cannot, for some reason unknown to me. MCEdit is simultaneously one of the best Minecraft editors out there and also a very crappy program. (That tells you the quality of most of the other editors out there.)

So I'm sitting there and having to fly around each chunk, checking it for structures. Like, a strip mine is something I can delete, but a little house, or an underground lair, or a Nether portal, or whatever, isn't.

Each chunk is 16x16 blocks, stretching from bedrock to building limit (0 to 256). Each "region" file in Minecraft is 32x32 chunks. Let's ignore the Nether and End for a moment, and just consider the Overworld. (The Nether and End are much smaller and I'm pretty much done both of them, so I'm just focusing on the task ahead of me.) The current Overworld map that has been explored is approximately 11 regions by 15 regions in size. That's 165 region files, or 168,960 chunks, just for the Overworld. (If you were wondering, if you filled the current Overworld entirely with blocks, bedrock to building limit, it would take 11,072,962,560 blocks.)

So this is a bit of the scale of things I'm looking at. The Nether is 1/8 the size of the Overworld, and when I was working on it, I could, for the most part, look at and then delete entire sections of chunks, working at dozens or a couple hundred chunks at a time. People have only built a few structures in the Nether. There are some mines of Netherrack, but I'm not worrying about them. I can just delete those. However, the Overworld is a little more complex, since I've got to look for more things. Not just stuff on the ground and in the sky, but also underground, and making sure it's not too small to miss. (For instance, a Nether portal is 10 blocks out of the 65,536 blocks in the chunk. Granted, typically around 49,152 of those blocks are air, but still...)

So, it just takes time... I'd say that if I got a good solid 4 hours where I had to not do work, sleep, sleep, or other priorities, and I got enough out of my depression to actually get stuff done, I might be able to do it.

ChroniclerC

Postby ChroniclerC » 02 Oct 2014, 07:40

The whole world, or just the "edges"?
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 02 Oct 2014, 08:04

Well, I was mainly doing the edges, but I was also going to hit some of those parts of the ocean that are just completely dead and see if they regenerate into land chunks this time.

ChroniclerC

Postby ChroniclerC » 02 Oct 2014, 08:30

Woo! Getting some new, square islands! :P
Sky_rider19
First Video: It's Magic!

Postby Sky_rider19 » 02 Oct 2014, 12:52

or at least spawn water temples,
ChroniclerC

Postby ChroniclerC » 02 Oct 2014, 13:11

Not likely, at least not for the South Seas. Ocean Monuments only spawn in the Deep Ocean biome, which is a 1.7 biome. So unless the terrain generator puts some new ocean in our ocean (yo dawg), we'll have to look elsewhere.

By the by, Memo, are we allowed to ask for the world seed? Just curious what some of the locations we know and love would look like under the new worldgen rules.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 02 Oct 2014, 13:27

World seed is: 318943124570361772

I threw that in FTB Monster and it generates some pretty cool stuff. It's very similar to what the majority of the server looks like (excluding 1.7 chunks), but with new trees, ores, etc. There are THREE of those MASSIVE trees that James likes viewable from spawn.

ChroniclerC

Postby ChroniclerC » 02 Oct 2014, 14:13

Ironically, most of the South Seas that I looked at seems to be Savannah and Desert under 1.7, although there's a few chunks of Deep Ocean near 400/1400 that might be worth seeding if they're not right on top of that rail line.
Deimir
First Video: Escapist News Network: A Few Good Gamers

Postby Deimir » 03 Oct 2014, 09:52

ChroniclerC wrote:Woo! Getting some new, square islands! :P

Funny enough my place started out along one of those "square island" lines, I ended up filling it in and crafting a natural-looking shoreline by hand. Took screenshots along the way but they're split between two computers. Someday I should get those uploaded and organized to show the process I took.

Return to “Video Games”