Steam Sales Awareness Thread!

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: Steam Sales Awareness Thread!

Postby empath » 20 Jun 2014, 07:03

I'm still waiting for something to pique my interest; Graham has started something with Viscera Cleanup Detail, and I'm hoping Skyrim Legendary goes on a quick big sale so I can get the wife a copy, but...it's mostly "oh, cool...wait, I got that last sale" Image
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 20 Jun 2014, 07:11

empath wrote:I'm still waiting for something to pique my interest; Graham has started something with Viscera Cleanup Detail, and I'm hoping Skyrim Legendary goes on a quick big sale so I can get the wife a copy, but...it's mostly "oh, cool...wait, I got that last sale" Image

Yeah, that's about how the sale is working for me now. Don't really have a lot of games I really need from this sale. Maybe if Dark Souls 2 gets super cheap?
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 20 Jun 2014, 07:18

I'm waiting for Civ 5 to go on sale
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
empath

Postby empath » 20 Jun 2014, 08:21

Welp, I 'popped my cherry' for this sale - after trying the demo, I purchased ETS2 from just my Steam wallet (the cards I've been trying to make badges for jumped in price; the advantage of all these new users wanting them, I guess 8) )
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 20 Jun 2014, 08:45

I did too, got blood dragon on the cheap
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 20 Jun 2014, 09:09

Final Fantasy 8 was alright. I wish it had more in terms of sidequests like FF7 did. ABSOLUTELY LOVE the final castle though.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 20 Jun 2014, 09:27

I looked again at two games on my wishlist who were at reasonable £ and found out the games weren't that good.

One was a Theme Park Tycoon type game that was crippled by narrow ride variety and lack of creativity regarding Roller Coaster design, and the other I decided I would wait until it was cheaper (75% off instead of 50%).

It sucks, but it saved me wasting my money. I already sunk some coins in Witcher 2 that didn't run. At least I own it for the future. Just annoying I couldn't play it now.
empath

Postby empath » 20 Jun 2014, 10:02

Again, sorry about the 'pending' Witcher 2, but PROPS for being a discerning shopper and figuring out the flaws and shortcoming BEFORE you buy them!
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 20 Jun 2014, 10:13

I've been buying my own games for over a decade now, and I've bought some shite I've regretted. It means I am very cautious about what I buy. I still buy duds every once in a while.
ch3m1kal
First Video: Unskippable

Postby ch3m1kal » 20 Jun 2014, 11:20

Sorry you're having trouble with Witcher 2, but it it one of the more resource demanding PC games. It is however definitely worth owning, especially at such an amazing price.

I picked up State of Decay and Call of Juarez Gunslinger today and paid less than 10€ for the pair.

Gunslinger is actually much better than it has any right to be. It's got pretty good gunplay, some decent humor, and the game is built around and unreliable narrator, which actually changes the story as you play because he's remembering it wrong.

Not sure about State of Decay, only played about 30 minutes of it, but kind of story driven, open world zombie survival should be right up my alley.
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 21 Jun 2014, 09:20

I'm mostly holding out for DLC packs for things I already play. Finally picked up all the Skyrim DLC today.
ch3m1kal

Postby ch3m1kal » 21 Jun 2014, 09:28

Well I generally have an intense dislike for The Elder Scrolls series, but I figured for less than 4€ it's probably worth it.
Who knows, maybe this will be the one I like, I mean everyone else seems to...

Also I cannot recommend The Stanley Parable enough. If you do not yet have it, please don't miss it, its 60% off and it is insanely good.

Wasteland 2 is also very deserving of your attention. It's by Brian Fargo and a lot of his old team, who you may know from such things as Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale or the old Fallout games so even though it's early access it is absolutely guaranteed to be an incredibly rich and satisfying RPG with fantastic writing.
mariomario42
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby mariomario42 » 21 Jun 2014, 10:19

I have bought the Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs for a friend of mine, and just picked up Papers, Please for myself.

I do enjoy the trading cards you get through voting and crafting badges. Extra $.50 per card will add up to a game or two, plus a couple Steam levels and badges.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 21 Jun 2014, 15:48

I bought Papers Please!

But I didn't like it. I felt like I got a new job that I wasn't being paid for which I wasn't good at.
I got fed up of the game telling me I was doing things wrong.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 21 Jun 2014, 17:38

Jazzpunk is on sale for 50% off. I'm SOOOO tempted to get it... but I don't know if I can justify spending $7.50 for a game I'd have more fun just watching Alex play again.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 22 Jun 2014, 01:58

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I bought Papers Please!

But I didn't like it. I felt like I got a new job that I wasn't being paid for which I wasn't good at.

To my mind, that's the point. Papers Please isn't supposed to be fun, it's supposed to stress you out and turn you into a terrible person; it is an exercise in putting yourself in the shoes of another and showing how corruption happens.

Having said that, I can appreciate that game way more than I can stick playing it. I've only ever logged a couple of hours
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 22 Jun 2014, 02:15

Honestly, I found it pretty fun in an oddly addictive way. Looking at details to see what's accurate and not was enjoyable for me. It was also a weird blast when I played it with three other 23 year old guys.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 22 Jun 2014, 05:02

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:
Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I bought Papers Please!

To my mind, that's the point. Papers Please isn't supposed to be fun, it's supposed to stress you out and turn you into a terrible person; it is an exercise in putting yourself in the shoes of another and showing how corruption happens.

Having said that, I can appreciate that game way more than I can stick playing it. I've only ever logged a couple of hours

I didn't get any of "me turning into a corrupted person" or "finding it difficult to do the correct thing".

I just did wrong things by mistake often. The only thing I got out of it is that I lack the fundamental skills to do that job.

My family suffered for my poor performance and all I could be was "stop QQing. I am not doing this job by choice. The lottery decided it was a good idea to put me an incompetent person to be in charge of the border authorities."

A terrorist attack happened, but I didn't have a reaction to it. I was too busy looking at paper work to see why it happened. So I didn't care
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 22 Jun 2014, 07:06

Currently debating whether to buy the Bioshock Triple Pack. I already have Bioshock Infinite but not the first 2 parts. For 15 euros the price is hard to beat. I cant remember whether I bought Infinite or got it through some deal. If I got the pack I'd like to be able to gift a copy to someone at least.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 22 Jun 2014, 07:08

The first one is definitely worth it and if you've played Burial at Sea, that makes more sense to you too.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
ch3m1kal

Postby ch3m1kal » 22 Jun 2014, 08:02

Oh yes, Bioshock 1&2 are absolutely worth your time & money, and that pack is great value, even if you already own Infinite.

The only thing that's missing from it, and really shouldn't be, is the Minerva's Den DLC for Bioshock 2, which is honestly better than the main story.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 22 Jun 2014, 08:38

I'm torn between collecting my summer sale cards or selling them.
I've never crafted a badge so I have no idea if it's even worth doing it.
mariomario42
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby mariomario42 » 22 Jun 2014, 10:08

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I'm torn between collecting my summer sale cards or selling them.
I've never crafted a badge so I have no idea if it's even worth doing it.

The last couple days I would have said sell, but in the last 12 hours, the price has dropped by half, so I would craft a badge.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 22 Jun 2014, 10:10

The price will either sink on the last day, or rocket.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 22 Jun 2014, 10:53

The prices will plummet on the last day, because they're just going away after that. People will keep buying them in order to try for rare items, but the supply is going to grow a lot faster than the demand. The fact is that the cards lose more and more value as the sale goes on due to more being created.

Honestly, crafting isn't really worth your time unless you want to support your team and potentially the games from your wishlist if you team wins that day. There's a chance you can hit the jackpot and get a rare TF2 or DotA2 item, which will likely buy you a bunch of stuff since demand is stupid-high for that stuff. But every other game's items are about worthless.

Return to “Video Games”