Gaming General Chat Thread

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby RedNightmare » 12 Sep 2013, 11:35

I'm not really sure. Make sure you don't wait to long after it comes out though. The 3DS seems to have made a lot of DS games disappear from shelfs. I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened with PS4 and PS3 games.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 12 Sep 2013, 16:57

Y'know, it's hard to see people fighting so hard against calling Gone Home a game (not here, on Destructoid) and not think of it as a blatant attempt to suppress any experimentation in gaming. A bit depressing, really.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 13 Sep 2013, 22:55

You know, I REALLY want to pick up Papers, Please. But I'm also 80% sure it's going to pop up in the Humble Bundle. But I want to play it with my friends...
Valliac
First Video: Unskippable - Lost Planet

Postby Valliac » 14 Sep 2013, 05:10

I've been watching a lot of SaltyBet (wont link, cause I don't want it to seem like an advertisement).

Fake bets with fake money on Mugen fights. Chat is always hilarious to watch.
"Also known as a 'Trigger-operated EVERYONE deterrent'."
Streaming at: http://www.twitch.tv/Valliac

Jimor
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby Jimor » 14 Sep 2013, 07:39

After seeing some YouTube videos of Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, I went ahead and bought it. It's a lot of fun, but I'm just not getting the hang of it very well. My Noobness still didn't stop me from posting some of my own videos. I'm rather proud of the opening title sequence, though, and its brutal self-honesty. :wink:

I've also shifted my Minecraft Let's Play to a new snapshot "Amplified" world generation. Aside from the ridiculous mountains it creates now, I spawned in a valley with several pink sheep, which I've only ever run across once before in all the worlds I've messed around in. I wonder if I just got lucky, or if they've adjusted the randomness for that.
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 14 Sep 2013, 11:39

JackSlack wrote:Y'know, it's hard to see people fighting so hard against calling Gone Home a game (not here, on Destructoid) and not think of it as a blatant attempt to suppress any experimentation in gaming. A bit depressing, really.

I agree with you Jack, I hate it when people think it's not a game because there is not enough gameplay. I love stretching the medium to see where it takes us (To The Moon did this for me)

JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 14 Sep 2013, 12:52

Kapol wrote:You know, I REALLY want to pick up Papers, Please. But I'm also 80% sure it's going to pop up in the Humble Bundle. But I want to play it with my friends...

FWIW, it's currently waaaaay out in front to be my GotY.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 14 Sep 2013, 13:00

MinionStarwind wrote:I've been watching a lot of SaltyBet (wont link, cause I don't want it to seem like an advertisement).

Fake bets with fake money on Mugen fights. Chat is always hilarious to watch.

I saw an article on PC Gamer. I was amazed at the complete randomness of the fights available. Still haven't taken a look at it though...
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 14 Sep 2013, 14:02

I've been playing through an XCOM: Enemy Unknown campaign recently, and among the many features of the game I enjoy one that stands out is the operation names- presumably they have a list of suitable adjectives and another of nouns, and it's just nice that they've thought to include it.

This feature also has the other benefit of being unintentionally hilarious at various moments. A case in point has just appeared in my campaign, with Operation Unending Mother.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 16 Sep 2013, 09:08

[Story]

This is less about the story, and more about the video halfway down the page which was done before the release of the original GTA game. It's amazing to think that such a small studio could be now producing a game that (reportedly) cost over $250M.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 16 Sep 2013, 19:30

If you are not reading/watching Campster, you're missing out on the best critic in gaming today, period. Here, he effortlessly dismantles Moviebob and Jim Sterling, while neatly expressing his own conflicted feelings on the subject of ludonarrative dissonance.

ETA: I actually had no problem with Sterling's basic argument, although I wish he'd acknowledged some of the context around the correct use of the term, had used it correctly himself (Tomb Raider is arguably a legitimate example of the problem for roughly the reasons he says, but the Bioshock Infinite example is way off) and that some of the more solid arguments against Bioshock infinite's violence were addressed. (Namely, it's not that it's dissonant, it's that it's empty and meaningless. Which, to be fair, I know Sterling disagrees with... but it's a stronger argument there.)
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 17 Sep 2013, 10:27

What I find most interesting about ludonarrative dissonance is that we are actually talking about it. Not too long ago, games could have gameplay and story that completely contradicted each other and no one would actually mind (and to some extent we still do).

It seems like we are starting to demand more from games as the medium is growing up. We seem to be demanding a unified vision for the game overall, which is, I feel, one of the steps to the chance of a game being art getting larger.

empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 20 Sep 2013, 15:21

So I grabbed a couple of games from Steam's TLAPD sale: a copy of Sid Meier's Pirates! for zyxst and I, and also the Special Edition of ol' Secret of Monkey Island.

...oh...my...GHAWD.

It's full of nostalgia!!!1!

I had a tingling on my skin as the game started and I fiddled with the options.

...then I saw the control for F10. OvO (Photobucket is offline for routine maintenance, else I'd have had a 'awestruck/in love' smiley of some kind there ;P )

They allow you to play the original game, right down to the 320x240x16 resolution.

I...I was actually motherfucking WEEPING as the old title sequence started up; something I hadn't seen in decades.

Gawd, this is the best $2.50 I've spent in a long time! ;)

(oh, and that sales still going on for another 17 hours... :) )
empath

Postby empath » 21 Sep 2013, 04:37

Okay, so I was checking mail/comics/news/etc before delving back in and finishing SoMI, when I noticed this.

Huh.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 21 Sep 2013, 04:43

And NOW I'm interested in D3.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
empath

Postby empath » 21 Sep 2013, 05:28

What he said.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 26 Sep 2013, 03:03

So, I'm clicking over a hundred cookies a second. Yeah, I'm barely into the game.

This is weirdly addictive.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 26 Sep 2013, 03:20

I was up to fifty billion a second(I think) before I realised how utterly ridiculous the above statement was and refused to play it any more.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 26 Sep 2013, 03:42

empath wrote:Okay, so I was checking mail/comics/news/etc before delving back in and finishing SoMI, when I noticed this.

Huh.

I saw something about that last week. My response was more-or-less "Well what did they expect?"

Also with SOMI:SE I believe I turned the retro graphics on at the first opportunity and didn't turn them off again.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 26 Sep 2013, 03:51

I just watched the video. I want to tie that guy's hands to the fucking chair.

HOW MUCH HAND MOVEMENT DO YOU NEED?!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
empath

Postby empath » 26 Sep 2013, 12:23

1.5 quadrillion all time; currently pulling down 4 billion/sec automatically and 150 million with each click; almost 52k clicks. Using v 1.036 (apparently diff builds make for VERY different experiences; I'm aiming for all the achievements; the 'have 100 <item>' ones I've almost finished off.

...mind you, I've had the tab open for eight days now, and most of the time it's grinding away in the background. Every few hours I'll flip over and buy some more facilities with the accumulated stock, then go back to what I was doing. :)
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 03 Oct 2013, 18:16

Having never played a Fire Emblem game before, somehow Awakening dug its hooks in deep. I have a hard time stopping.
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 03 Oct 2013, 21:34

(Please excuse this interruption in your regularly scheduled gaming chat to remind people to please send me pages by Sunday. Thank you!)
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 04 Oct 2013, 00:13

I've finally gotten around to playing more of Portal 2. I'm up to Chapter...7, I think.
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 04 Oct 2013, 15:34

Haha! I beat the quest in Monster Hunter Tri: Ultimate, that, had I beaten it in the original Monster Hunter Tri, would have been the end of the single player campaign. Too bad that's really only about a third of the game, in this case.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere

Return to “Video Games”