Gaming General Chat Thread

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Prospero101 » 01 Dec 2013, 16:07

I just don't understand it. I played Far Cry 3 just fine. Crysis 2, Crysis 3, yup, a-okay. What the hell is wrong with Assassin's Creed 4 that makes it run like garbo? Is it an optimization issue?
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 01 Dec 2013, 16:29

Probably, yeah. I seem to recall hearing most of the PC ports of the AC series have had some issues. I only played the first two, but I remember there were more than a few weird graphical glitches.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 01 Dec 2013, 16:49

Well, previous ports have been bad not in the least for their graphical issues. The control scheme was ludicrous. Don't even get me started.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 01 Dec 2013, 17:46

Kapol wrote:
korvys wrote:Merrymaker_Mortalis: See, that's what I want. I want a device that can play 3DS games, that's cheap, don't care about the 3D, and has the clamshell design so it will fit in my pocket, and I don't have to worry about the screens.

The design is my only major problem with the 2DS. It's so big and bulky that carrying around seems like a pain. The fact the screens are always exposed makes it easier to damage.

I think it's not really for portable gaming. Sure, it's sorta portable, but it's definitely not designed to fit in your pocket. It's for a different demographic, I think. I would have bought one if the screens were DS XL sized.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 01 Dec 2013, 21:05

There can be several things wrong with a game's performance. Your end or their end.

Unfortunately with poor optimisation and only half of the game companies giving a shit beyond money, it's become increasingly likely to be them. Like Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut. I had to spend a lot of time adapting DLL and INI files so it WAS playable. They eventually fixed it but not every game does.

I played Dark Souls on PS3 with no issues. On PC, I had to, once again, change a load of files to make it able to connect consistently with others.

If you got it on Steam, maybe check the game's forum to see if anyone has any remedies.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 02 Dec 2013, 01:00

TomBrend wrote:
Kapol wrote:
korvys wrote:Merrymaker_Mortalis: See, that's what I want. I want a device that can play 3DS games, that's cheap, don't care about the 3D, and has the clamshell design so it will fit in my pocket, and I don't have to worry about the screens.

The design is my only major problem with the 2DS. It's so big and bulky that carrying around seems like a pain. The fact the screens are always exposed makes it easier to damage.

I think it's not really for portable gaming. Sure, it's sorta portable, but it's definitely not designed to fit in your pocket. It's for a different demographic, I think. I would have bought one if the screens were DS XL sized.

I just wish when I actually put it in my coat pocket, when I remove it I am not paranoid that the L and R shoulder buttons won't be torn off (I don't use those buttons. But I don't want to lose them either).
-
On a lighter note. My copy of Pokemon X will arrive today so I can do the "Wonder Trade [not]-Challenge". It's not a challenge because all your Pokemon will then recieve 50% extra EXP. And the main story enjoys brute force more than actual Pokechoice. Someone completed it with 6 Bidoofs.

I have a few rules in place:

No Pokemon recieved can be over level 10. If they excede retrade/(stored if it's a Pokemon I want to keep. But catch a new wild Pokemon to Wonder Trade)

No duplicates (in less Scatterbug or Espur)

In the event of lots of type overlapping I can wondertrade again

At the end of the game, I'll transfer these Pokemon to Pokebank and repeat again.
If I see any Shinies I will catch them (but won't use them).

I mean, training up perfectish Competative Pokemon on Y is satisfying, but it does get tireing. I need another Pokeactivity.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 02 Dec 2013, 09:08

Darkobra wrote:
If you got it on Steam, maybe check the game's forum to see if anyone has any remedies.

Not a lot of practical advice to be found on the Steam forums. Shocking, right.

Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 02 Dec 2013, 10:14

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:On a lighter note. My copy of Pokemon X will arrive today so I can do the "Wonder Trade [not]-Challenge". It's not a challenge because all your Pokemon will then recieve 50% extra EXP. And the main story enjoys brute force more than actual Pokechoice. Someone completed it with 6 Bidoofs.

I have a few rules in place:

No Pokemon recieved can be over level 10. If they excede retrade/(stored if it's a Pokemon I want to keep. But catch a new wild Pokemon to Wonder Trade)

No duplicates (in less Scatterbug or Espur)

In the event of lots of type overlapping I can wondertrade again

At the end of the game, I'll transfer these Pokemon to Pokebank and repeat again.
If I see any Shinies I will catch them (but won't use them).

I mean, training up perfectish Competative Pokemon on Y is satisfying, but it does get tireing. I need another Pokeactivity.

I like a lot of these rules, but I feel the type overlapping is one I wouldn't personally go for. I mean, I beat my first game with a party of almost all fire-types, and I enjoyed the moderate challenge of that. I don't want to have a balanced wonder-trade team, I want a random team. But I think I'll adopt your No Duplicates and No Over-Level 10 rules. Of course, Pokemon over level 10 present their own special challenge until you've beaten your fifth gym, because they won't listen to you.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 02 Dec 2013, 11:52

But they have extra power.

Should I also redraw if it's a Pokemon I used for my Pokemon Y playthrough? Or is that also nudging it to my favour?

I drew

Torchic
Charmander
Fletchling
Simipour
Froufou
Honedge.

I will find it quite boring to have Blaziken, Charizard and Talonflame again.
Lurkon

Postby Lurkon » 02 Dec 2013, 11:59

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:But they have extra power.

Should I also redraw if it's a Pokemon I used for my Pokemon Y playthrough? Or is that also nudging it to my favour?

I drew

Torchic
Charmander
Fletchling
Simipour
Froufou
Honedge.

I will find it quite boring to have Blaziken, Charizard and Talonflame again.

I'm thinking of perhaps redrawing until I have nothing in the OU-tier.

I think if the REASON you're redrawing is because you've already raised one, then redrawing is within the spirit of the challenge.
Do a Pivot Table!

Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 02 Dec 2013, 12:17

Ok. Thank you for confirming that it's ok.

I like Talonflame as a Pokemon. Just I already have a playthrough one and a Competitive one. I'm not in the mood for a third.

One draw back of the Wondertrade Challenge is that the Pokemon you do get at level 1 are competitive species. Sometimes with ideal Natures (when the trainer is breeding for perfect IVs and everstoning the nature). So it's even less of a challenge.

It's a gimmick basically.
-
If you feel guilty about drowning the Wonder Trade with Weedle, then give them amusing names.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 02 Dec 2013, 13:13

Prospero101 wrote:
Darkobra wrote:

Not a lot of practical advice to be found on the Steam forums. Shocking, right.

Very. I find all my .dll and .ini fixes for optimisation on Steam forums. I looked up the Assassin's Creed part but nobody has anything for that yet.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 02 Dec 2013, 19:19

Let's say I wanna get into Borderlands. First game or second game?
Lurkon

Postby Lurkon » 02 Dec 2013, 19:21

I wanna say first game. I think the second game might not be as accessible. There is a lot of "Holy shit, look it's this character!" in the second one.

That said, the DLC for the first one is probably not necessary.
Do a Pivot Table!

Lurkon

Postby Lurkon » 02 Dec 2013, 19:22

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:If you feel guilty about drowning the Wonder Trade with Weedle, then give them amusing names.

I made a point of nicknaming every Pokemon I intended to Wonder Trade.
Do a Pivot Table!

Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 02 Dec 2013, 20:06

First game lacked a real story. Few parts were funny but they were few and far between. Second game brought back the characters from the first story (and actually gave them characteristics) and was a great fan service. But it really doesn't detract from the second if you haven't played the first.

I'd say definitely go for the second. Better story, more comedy and pretty much the same game overall.

I can never really delve into it myself because once you get the story out the way, it's just doing it all over again for more levels, more skills and bigger guns. Although that's something I rarely enjoy, right down to Diablo 2. Great games, just hate repeating entire campaigns to push myself to the max.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 02 Dec 2013, 20:34

So...uh....you guys remember all those issues I was having with Assassin's Creed 4? Well...it turns out my fan wasn't venting heat properly and I just had to blow it out. Fancy that.

Carry on. Nothing to see here.

Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 02 Dec 2013, 20:48

... Not only did I cringe, I just had to check mine. It's fine! Usually is. Ever since I got these new fans and case, it's surprisingly not been an issue.

In fact, I actually get paranoid that it's not an issue and give it a clean out for what little dust IS in there.

Everyone, go check your damn case for dust now.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 02 Dec 2013, 21:00

I'd have a better fan if I had a legitimate gaming rig. But I don't. I just have a upper-quarter-of-the-line HP that was the bleeding edge in 2012.

Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 05 Dec 2013, 16:36

So...say that I've modded the hell out of a game (in this case, Fallout 3) to a level of questionable stability. Is it possible to reinstall the basic version of the game that you bought via Steam? Because right now it just seems to take all the files in the directory and puts them back again on reinstall. What I'm after is a completely new slate. Can I do that?

Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 05 Dec 2013, 16:52

Assuming that there's no menu in the options for mods and turning them on/off, I'd say you'd have to manually go in and delete the mod files. Given that Steam like only deletes the files it installed, that would explain why the mods are still there even after you delete them.

That's just an assumption though.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 05 Dec 2013, 16:55

That's what I'd normally do to get rid of mods, Kapol. But my game is so unstable because of extensive reckless modding that I need an all-new clean install. Just like it was when I bought it.

Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 05 Dec 2013, 17:01

What I'd meant was to delete Fallout from your system via Steam. Then, uninstall or delete all the files for the mods. Then reinstall the game from Steam. I would think that would do it, but I'm not sure. If it doesn't, send a question to Steam Support.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 05 Dec 2013, 17:03

Hmmm....an interesting idea. I'll let you know how this goes.

JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 05 Dec 2013, 18:44

Mass Effect 2 is completed on Insanity.

Tonight I'll play the end of Mass Effect 3 again on casual, just so I can purchase the starting pistols at a higher level, and then import again for an Insanity run.

End of the line.

Return to “Video Games”