The Game Venting Thread

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby Robo4900 » 14 May 2015, 14:02

Actually, Compatibility Mode makes Earthworm Jim for Windows 95 work a lot better on my Windows 7 PC, although that's pretty much the only use I've ever got out of it.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 29 May 2015, 04:16

I'm near the end of Dragon Age Inquisition.
I still have some side content to do.
I have some Agent Missions too.

It's just a game I'm reluctant to finish. I also played quite intensely.
One of those games where once you finish it, you're aware the story is done and it's ended.
And by playing through it again, you may forget what you did the first play through.

It's also the only game I have which has fun gameplay where I don't know what happens next. So I want to savor it.

It's nice to play a game I am reluctant to finish, because the past games I've played, I wanted to finish it.

(Got sick of Kingdoms of Sandboxybutnotsandbox Amular and Transistor's combat system I was too familiar with by the end)

I find it hard to play games I've played before for long period of time now because I know what happens next. I know how much of a time investment some are. So it exhausts me thinking ahead. And I know that will happen with DAI if I replay it. I won't play it as vigorously as before.

It's not a matter of me having too much time. It's a matter of me wanting to spend quality time relaxing. And ironically getting stressed if I don't feel like I am relaxing.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 29 May 2015, 08:29

Psychonauts.

I'm replaying Psychonauts, and it's really irritating. No, not the meat circus, I'm not quite there yet, and I beat that before on a mouse and keyboard. I'm using a controller now, so that should be a cakewalk.

The part that's annoying me is The Race section of Milla's mind. There are 97 figments in there, each worth 1 point, and they are so annoying to see! Oh my god! I have 13 left, so I'm just going to go through the race again and again until I get them all. Wish me luck.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 05 Jun 2015, 03:58

DotA2.
There are certain carries that are a joy to play, but only with items. Like the hard-carry Medusa or Shadow Specter.

In a game like DotA2 and especially with random scrubs on your team, you will rarely to be at the state where it's FUN to play that hero.

At least with Heroes of the Storm, the heroes you enjoy playing are enjoyable from level 1/10 onwards.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 07 Jun 2015, 16:10

Lost 5 hours of progress from Pokemon due to a friend accidentally ejecting the cart. Said 5 hours was pretty much all EV training my Latias, planting berries, and raising my Pokémon's affection by playing with them. I lost my Latias in the process, which makes me sadder than it should. :(
squaredotcube
First Video: Ways to Whiten your Teeth

Postby squaredotcube » 09 Jun 2015, 05:45

Steam releases a refund policy, and one week later an indie dev tells a sob story about how they're being hurt by return abuse right after a sale had wrapped up.

...One week isn't enough to gather valid data.

Look devs, you should be able to understand that this new feature will follow a typical game release curve - The highest amount of activity will happen when it's just been released, which will then trickle down gradually, with spikes occurring when there's a major change or a sale on the product (although sales doesn't apply in this case). Please patiently wait and stop panicking.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 09 Jun 2015, 05:53

I own a game on Steam that has never ran on any system I owned. Is it too late to get a refund on this game that I have never been allowed to play?

I have 18 games in my library which I have played for less than 2 hours.
squaredotcube
First Video: Ways to Whiten your Teeth

Postby squaredotcube » 09 Jun 2015, 05:59

When it comes to a game not running on any of your hardware, it doesn't hurt to try since it's about as legitimate of a reason as you can get. I've heard reports of people getting refunds for games that were purchased past the two-week limit.

What was the game, by the way? Chances are other people have complained of the same thing in the forums.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 09 Jun 2015, 06:49

Definitely worth contacting Steam support to see, if it doesn't work on your hardware. Supposedly they've being pretty lenient for cases like that.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 09 Jun 2015, 07:31

Doom Rails.
I reported the error before and I got a FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO MAKE IT WORK & DON'T REPLY TO THIS SO IT'S HARD FOR YOU TO FOLLOW UP IF IT STILL WON'T WORK.
Bought it exactly 5 years ago, and played "one minute" of it.

Steam doesn't let me ask a question about it. It directs me to "NOT OUR PROBLEM" or "TOO LATE FOR REFUND".
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 10 Jun 2015, 10:52

squaredotcube wrote:Steam releases a refund policy, and one week later an indie dev tells a sob story about how they're being hurt by return abuse right after a sale had wrapped up.

...One week isn't enough to gather valid data.

Look devs, you should be able to understand that this new feature will follow a typical game release curve - The highest amount of activity will happen when it's just been released, which will then trickle down gradually, with spikes occurring when there's a major change or a sale on the product (although sales doesn't apply in this case). Please patiently wait and stop panicking.

Agreed 100%. GoG added refunds a while ago and it's going great.
The mentality behind it, which makes complete sense, is that if someone doesn't want to pay for a game, there are other -- usually easier -- ways to pirate a game. Since Steam isn't DRM-free, that isn't a concern, so there's no real downside for anyone.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 11 Jun 2015, 22:51

I really dislike that I've learned about IVs, Nature, and EVs in Pokémon. But not Eevees. I still love them.

The reason why kind of highlights why random BS collectables that do nothing often bother me. I am very... I think the best way to put it would be thorough when it comes to games. I like having 100% done. More than that, I need to have as much content done as precisely as possible as I can. It drives me insane when I don't.

I mentioned I lost 5 hours of progress on Pokémon a few posts back. I got a Latias and, like an idiot, decided to check Smogon. Everything said it HAD to be Timid. Everything.

Mine was Rash.

I honestly used all the self-control I could muster to not start save-scumming the game at that point. Instead, I started EV training so I knew I wouldn't. I find EV training to be a very boring activity. But due to the way my mind handles games, I feel the need to do it when I really like a Pokémon. I want the Pokémon I like to be the best they can be. So I do it.

Then, because I like Latias, I decided to work on it's happiness. Then I realized I'd neglected the two other Pokémon in my party that I like. So I worked on them. I got them near full before I lost my progress?

So why is this relevant? Because I lost my progress. The Latias I liked was gone. So I went to get a new one... and it had a sub-par nature. Just one time I'll save-scum, I thought. Just once. It's been days and I haven't gotten further in the game. I can't stop trying to get the 'perfect' one. It's made me sit the game down for a while, like what happens every time EV training comes around.

The frustration comes in that I don't really care about stats. The EV training I've done has made the game way too easy to be honest. I don't play competitively because I'm not good in competitive environments (for much the same reason I'm describing now, but worse because I feel the need to be better than everyone like an ass). I just want them to be the best they can be. And I can't talk my stupid brain out of obsessing over it. It'd be easy to just save after I catch it. But then I just decide one more time... and try again and again.

This is something I have a problem with in a lot of games. It's lead to me being less interested in games as of late as well. But I love games. I'm just finding it hard to use them for actual relaxation.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 12 Jun 2015, 00:05

EVs and IVs bother me too. They're compulsory if you want to battle at all.
Especially since EVs are more accessible. IVs are not as much, because you need to have amazing IV breeding partners.

I thought Pokemon was CATCH 'EM ALL, not MAKE THEM ALL SHAG.

Oh well.

Some people think breeding is large part of the game. in my honesty, breeding should have only been there for Pokedexing or getting more of the same.

I don't like the IV and EV system. On paper awesome concepts, in practice with the real end game being fighting other humans, it's ruined.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 12 Jun 2015, 00:34

Worst part is that I can't adjust it by breeding. It's Latias from Alpha Sapphire, whom you thankfully get without needing to catch. But I'm forced to restart and go through this long dialogue I don't care about every single time.

Thankfully I caught one I'm happy with. And I saved. So now I can move on after I raise affection, work on EVs, go replant all those berries, and now I don't want to play the game anymore...
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 12 Jun 2015, 00:53

I lost interest in the game when the community got more toxic and meta got ridged. I spend all this effort making Pokemon to participate in a thing I get no joy from because of others.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 12 Jun 2015, 16:56

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 12 Jun 2015, 22:43

Honestly, that last part is part of the reason I'm enjoying Splatoon. No voice chat. None. Not even the option for it. And a lot of people don't like that. But I likely wouldn't have bought it if it did. I don't want to listen to ass holes and kids yelling at me.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 13 Jun 2015, 02:52

Maybe if you form a premade team, allow chat?

I mute team chat when playing competitive games anyway. Usually the information shared is in a language I don't understand, or is accompanied by someone who is terribly out of breath.
McGurganatorZX
First Video: Feed Dump #200

Postby McGurganatorZX » 13 Jun 2015, 18:15

My biggest complaint about gaming nowadays is that everybody is either in the direct here and now for games or in the period where gaming just hit the mainstream. Why not the GBA, especially since the carts still work beautifully AND that they are coming to WiiU?

To the other big points:
-Forming a team with people you know and throw everyone on Skype or Google Hangouts, maybe?
-In pokemon, I can see how EV and IV training/breeding can be incredibly off-putting. I personally use Showdown for all of my competitive battling needs. Now worrying about save-scumming for all perfect IV, Shiny legends and no hours down the tube spend breeding for nonsense.
"Man, you look like a [Adjective] bear. What happened?"

Twitter: https://twitter.com/McGurganMKII
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/McgurganatorZX
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 13 Jun 2015, 20:04

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Maybe if you form a premade team, allow chat?

I mute team chat when playing competitive games anyway. Usually the information shared is in a language I don't understand, or is accompanied by someone who is terribly out of breath.

One thing about Splatoon is that you can't join a team like that. You can join a game that friends are playing. But you can't guarantee that you'll end up on the same team. Which I kind of like. You don't get teams of four just rolling over everyone (sometimes literally). But they are adding that in later (August, I believe).

McGurganatorZX wrote:My biggest complaint about gaming nowadays is that everybody is either in the direct here and now for games or in the period where gaming just hit the mainstream. Why not the GBA, especially since the carts still work beautifully AND that they are coming to WiiU?

To the other big points:
-Forming a team with people you know and throw everyone on Skype or Google Hangouts, maybe?
-In pokemon, I can see how EV and IV training/breeding can be incredibly off-putting. I personally use Showdown for all of my competitive battling needs. Now worrying about save-scumming for all perfect IV, Shiny legends and no hours down the tube spend breeding for nonsense.

The first one would be possible, and seems like something that I'd do with friends if I joined up with them (even if we ended up playing against each other due to random teams, since it still seems fun). But a lot of people want chat with just random people. Which I understand. I'm just not in that same camp.

As for Pokémon, the problem is I'm not doing it to be competitive. I'm doing it because my brain says I have to.
MadWaltz
First Video: Bed Buggery (I think)

Postby MadWaltz » 14 Jun 2015, 22:52

Kapol wrote:As for Pokémon, the problem is I'm not doing it to be competitive. I'm doing it because my brain says I have to.

I occasionally have problems similar to what you've described. One thing that can help is to set rules for yourself. That way, rather than feeling obligated to grind, you feel obligated not to. For example, in Pokemon:

-You're only allowed to catch 3 of any one Pokemon. If none of those have the nature/IV's you want, tough cookies.
-Whenever you beat a gym leader, you're allowed 15 minutes of EV grinding time. Once those 15 minutes are up, you'll have to wait until you beat the next gym leader.
-You're not allowed to plant EV berries. (I think that's a thing in Alpha Sapphire)

Obviously, it doesn't have to be those exactly, but you get the idea. The trick is to change the rules so the game is fun again.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 Jun 2015, 01:31

I miss playing Pokemon like a 10 year old. Ignorant about IVs and EVs and Egg Moves.
You feel like everyone had an even playing field.

Felt more like the anime.
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 17 Jun 2015, 18:14

Reign of Kings would be a great game if you could play it.

I don't mean it's buggy, I mean other players will not allow you to play. Maybe I picked a bad server, but the griefing is just next-level shenanigans, such as tearing down my entire house while I'm offline, a feat that would take a LONG time to do unless they literally brought siege engines to take over my small wooden hut.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 19 Jun 2015, 06:49

Guachemelee Tree can get kerfucked.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 19 Jun 2015, 13:03

That feeling when you're playing the Steam sale game, and you miss on over 2k levels worth of gold because you were stuck in the boost choice menu.

Return to “Video Games”