The Game Venting Thread

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
McGurganatorZX
First Video: Feed Dump #200

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby McGurganatorZX » 20 Jun 2015, 09:33

So you used the boost to get through?

How about the Starfox0 trailer with the chicken walker Arwing?
"Man, you look like a [Adjective] bear. What happened?"

Twitter: https://twitter.com/McGurganMKII
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/McgurganatorZX
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 28 Jun 2015, 13:16

Okay.

Elite: Dangerous - space sandbox.

Was enjoying wandering off away from everything else and exploring, scanning and charting the gorgeous stellar bodies beyond our ken; not exciting, but a great past time to keep myself busy while I watched streams, chatted with friends in comms, caught up on netflix stuff, etc.

And to liven things up, Frontier Developments released the Power Play update, bringing in a factional metagame to allow players to help influence the control of inhabited systems and interactive stations, etc. - you do things to curry favour with one system for your chosen power-player, and if enough people do enough of these tasks (hunt down pirates/corrupt or oppressive law enforcement¹, ship in relief aid, bring in marketing materials, ferry envoys with treaties/trade agreements/etc. and so on) and the system shifts to being controlled by that power player and faction-specific benefits are applied (cheaper prices on weapons, or trade goods, etc.)

If another faction decides it wants to expand into 'your' faction's space, first it needs to eliminate your control of the system, and it becomes a 'fortfy/undermine' race to see who does more in time before the weekly(?) rollover and metamap update.

Also the more you do for the faction, the more "Merits" you accumulate - enough merits and you increase in rank and get more cash, better discounts, bigger allotment of 'faction materials requisitions' (thus you can do more of those prepare/expand/undermine/fortify jobs), and after enough rank promotion, access to faction-unique ship gear.

And - one incentive to compete with other players to 'do more' - the higher the position of your faction with the others, the greater these effects (warmongers give greater ammo discounts, traders give more commodities for use, etc.) - the top three get bonuses to their effects, so it's in your best interest to get your faction bigger and stronger than the others.

Now, it's slow going at the start: you get ten 'requisitions' every half-hour (even though you can probably put them to use in about five) so you've got plenty of time to read every possible screen and review all the listed data...

...which brings us to what happened to me.

Now you can leave a faction, erasing any merits you've earned, and you have to wait 0.5 days before you can join another faction.

...or you can defect straight from your current faction into a new one. You skip the waiting period and you keep half of your earned merits and bring them over to your new faction. The catch is, the old faction will REALLY hate you and send out kill squads for a time (based on how high in the ranks you'd climbed aka how big your betrayal was).

...so, while I was sitting in the capital station for my chosen faction, waiting for the requisition timer to run down so I could do another job and get myself closer to the 100 merits and rank 2 (at the weekly update), I was browsing through the details on some of the other factions - who was slipping in the rankings, who was nearby with systems that might be undermined, who seemed to be expanding into my faction's controlled space, how close was the next-lower faction to passing mine, etc. etc.

And...at the bottom of details screen for one faction that I'd ALSO considered besides the one I was currently pledged to, there was that shiny 'defect' button...

And, because I was curious, I clicked on it to see what info might be listed on the effects (Frontier Dev. has been quite helpful and thorough with 'are you sure?' dialogue windows that not just give you a chance for second thought - not to mention a safety net from misclicks - but also SPECIFIC details of what the action would change), and sure enough it told me that I'd bring over 40 merits (of the 80 I'd earned for my 'old' faction) and that my 'old faction' would hunt for me for 1 day (presumably due to my starter-rank with the faction).

Okay, cool - I clicked on cancel, and went through some more info...and then logged out and went to bed.

Well, today, after running errands and doing stuff, I sat down to the computer, fired up Elite:Dangerous with the intent of finishing off that 'grind to 100 merits'...and loaded up sitting in a hangar of the faction's capital station like I left it...

...but my eye got drawn to a red 'hostile' indicator on my ship's hud. Image

Puzzling over that for a moment, I fired up the faction info screen, to see if the weekly cycle rollover had happened yet, since despite people repeatedly answering my enquiries about the timing of the metagame, I just couldn't keep the details in my head, and wondered if I had time to get the last twenty merits to get rank 2 before rollover.

...but on the faction overview screen, my eye was drawn to another brightly-coloured indicator; this one yellow-gold and was a star in the corner of the faction portrait that I'd pledged to.

It was not the faction I was supposed to be in. :shock:

Quickly I checked the faction details windows, and realized what I'd done; when snooping on that faction defect dialogue window the night before, I'd mistakenly pressed 'defect' or 'accept' or whatever it was, and NOT the 'cancel' or 'backout' or 'oh wait I don't wanna do this after all' button I thought I'd hit.

I'd defected from the old faction, lost half of my hard-earned merits, and put them with the other faction, and I was 'public enemy #1' with the old faction...for 24h.

...while sitting INSIDE THE CAPITAL STATION of that old faction. :shock:

How much was the deductible on my ship's insurance? And how was I going to get the OTHER ships I had hangared inside this same station?

Well, I could just leave the new faction; drop the REST of my merits, and start from scratch in a half a day...

I had the idea of 'why don't I just defect back to the original faction? I'll lose ANOTHER twenty merits, but the people hosting me RIGHT NOW won't want to vape me anymore, and it IS a long way away from here to that other faction's space; the kill teams might not have much chance to catch up with me in the single day they've got to gun for me.'

...but the 'defect' button was greyed-out for the old faction; I guess they didn't trust me much after what I'd done (and with good reason).

So I decided, rather than wait a full day for the old faction to forget its grudge and then defect back, I could just leave the new faction peacefully, write off any old merits I had, wait out the twelve-hour cooldown before I could join a faction and then try to get back in with my old buddies.

And I was pleased to see when I clicked on 'leave power', that the "HOSTILE" indicator was gone from my ship's dashboard HUD - presumably that was enough to appease my aggrieved former masters. ;)

So in the end, my rant is really about my OWN lack of diligence that allowed me to sloppily choose a wrong course of action and thus turn my activities in the game for the past couple of days into a waste of time. :roll:

Footnote - because it's me, after all: 1. Well, depending on the philosophical view of your chosen faction; a righteous firebrand that fights for justice would have you executing 'corrupt cops who abuse their power and subvert the will of our ruler', while an anarchic pirate lord would have you getting rid of meddlesome and oppressive lawmen who restrict the pirates' ability to sell whatever they wished and take whatever they wanted ;^)
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 28 Jun 2015, 14:07

I've continued playing Pokemon, thanks a friend getting it and making it more interesting. In the end, I've decided I'll just grind the Pokemon I really want to use for my party. Which, thankfully, doesn't include many legendaries. Otherwise I would be in a world of frustration due to how hard they can be to catch. Though it did lead to me grinding Vulpixes in a really bad area for grinding them for an hour or two. And I didn't even manage to get a good IV Drought Vulpix. I'm sticking with my good IV Flash Fire one for now.

I've realized something I'd really like for them to change with the game though. Now that TMs aren't one-time use, I'd really like to see HMs go away altogether. Replace them with items that just allow you to do the thing the HMs did.

The reason for this is that I always end up having to use up two slots on my team for HM Pokemon. Pokemon I don't like, but have to keep with me with four moves each that are just dedicated to actually, you know, playing the game. It'd also make more sense than having access to these abilities, but not being able to use them for some stupid reason until you get a specific badge.

They kind of did this to some degree with the Eon Flute in ORAS. With the Flute, you basically no longer need Fly from what I've seen. Just use the item and you're able to actually fly through the map. It's really cool, because you get to actually see the map from up above and you're given control over what you're doing. It's not just 'pick a place. Go there.'
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 28 Jun 2015, 16:43

Water starters would always be the HM slave since they'd have to learn Surf & waterfall and sometimes Strength/Cut.
Made them less exciting.
Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 29 Jun 2015, 02:53

The thing with the water HMs though is that unlike most of the other moves, Surf and Waterfall are actually pretty darn good in battle, so it's not as significant a handicap as it is having, say Flash or Rock Smash weighting down your limited move list (honestly, sometimes even those can be situationally useful too...)

You bring up the "Make HMs into items" point, which is quite popular amongst the fanbase. There's a similar but separate camp which I fall into who are of the opinion that HM moves should either be innate (as in, most water types should just "know" how to Surf without needing a move; flying types can all Fly, etc.) or perhaps that in future games, Pokemon should have a 5th or maybe even 6th move slot that you can use either exclusively for HM stuff, or other situational batlle moves you can switch in and out between battles. Kind of like a MtG sideboard.

Ultimately though, this is Nintendo we're talking about, and asking them to change a traditional formula is... kinda tricky, to put it very mildly. It's not to say it won't eventually happen, just don't hold your breath and try to make the best of the situation we have.

One last thing - regarding having 2 "dead" slots on your team for HM slaves... this is something of a sad reality in Pokemon games, but in keeping with the theme of making the most of the given situation, ask yourself this: "Do I absolutely *need* a team of 6?". Now I admit, this tends to be a very tough point to discuss with most Pokemon fans... possibly the hardest. Most players are *very* set in the "Team = 6" mindset, and that's fine. It's not my place to tell anyone else how to play a game, especially when it's kind of been the key mechanic for generations. I merely bring it up as something to consider - speaking from personal experience, switching to only raising teams of 5 has made the HM problem a lot less of a factor to worry about.

But then I'm weird like that. Especially given recent games' tendency to force special event Pokemon into your party for the purposes of story, it just felt kind of wrong that a valued team member was being screwed out of participating, even if only for one battle. Doubly so since (at least in past games, they might have changed it) getting stored in the PC lowers a 'mon's mostly hidden happiness score to the base level... and I'll be damned if I spend all that time making them love and trust me for nothing. With an expendable "slave" in slot 6, the decision of who to bench is already made for me.

I dunno, Pokemon is a big passion of mine, so I could go on for ages about this stuff. Opinions, yo. Anyway it's a thing to think about.

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 29 Jun 2015, 03:08

You could raise a team of 2 and smash through the game.
My first play through of Ruby was with a Blaziken and Swellow tag team. I ripped shit up.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 29 Jun 2015, 05:53

Welp, I was wrong - the old faction still sent out solo assassins - master Pythons and Anacondas...while I was on an exploration jaunt, kitted for something other than combat.

Hours of scans lost, I'm about 800k cr poorer for the insurance deductible, and I'm sitting right in the HQ of 'the enemy' again.

I'm gonna put E:D aside for a while...
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 29 Jun 2015, 11:33

Omega Lairon wrote:*Snip*

I wouldn't mind if Pokemon natively had certain abilities. That's kind of what they did with the Latios/Latias thing in ORAS, since you just use an item and they do what fly basically does. I went with items as that doesn't inherently limit what Pokemon you can have in your party. But since most moves are normal, it wouldn't be an issue.

As for the 'sideboard slot,' I wouldn't mind that if you couldn't inherently use it in battle. The idea of giving some Pokemon basically a fifth attack slot seems like it would lead to uneven gameplay. Especially when you consider that some moves, like the ones you mentioned, aren't bad to have. They just aren't 'ideal' most of the time.

The team number thing isn't so much that it limits me to only 4 Pokemon. It's that I have two Pokemon I frankly don't care about or really use in battle basically stapled on to the four that I like using. This also makes it more of a hassle when training. Since you basically have to go into battles with friends with 6 Pokemon unless you agree otherwise before, you're forced to constantly go back to a Pokemon Center to get and train the other two Pokemon separately. It's a little more annoying since they made EXP Share effect the entire party. You have two Pokemon that normally end up ahead of the other 4, since you only really 'need' to swap two for two when you go to train the rest of your actual team.

But yeah. I consider the Eon Flute a nice test of the 'HMs as items' idea. And I think it works better than what they've been using. But, as you said, Nintendo is slow to change things. And when they do, it doesn't always work as well as they might hope (I've heard Fairy-type Pokemon are kind of poorly balanced, for example).

I think my problem is that it feels like it's limiting me in a way that doesn't really make sense. To some degree, I think the issue of having to have the badge and move in order to control where the player goes and when is really clever design. But it's also design that's outstayed its welcome. The idea is outdated at this point. And there are better alternatives that make more sense than 'your Pokemon can't swim unless it knows this move, and even then you can't use it unless you have a badge for some reason.'
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 29 Jun 2015, 12:40

Mega Mawile is just a terror.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 01 Jul 2015, 22:11

The ORAS Delta episode is stupid. It's basically "Go to all of these places you've been before. We reset all of the weak NPCs so you have to fight them all again. The story is going to be meh at best." It feels like the thing I really hate about JRPGs... using gameplay and thin story to justify padding out gameplay time.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 02 Jul 2015, 03:22

The Delta episode basically said that the original Ruby and Sapphire are still canon. These games happen in a different universe.
It confirms the concept of parallel universes, which is good and bad.
Bad because the Pokemon timeline might become like the Legend of Zelda's.
Good because it explains why they have money-grabbing 2/3 versions each generation.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 02 Jul 2015, 15:32

New hero in Heroes of the Storm is too strong.
They added The Butcher.
I have seen him played many times now, and the team he's on always wins. The only exception is Butchers on both sides.
If it was a case of the playerbase being too dumb, then he'd at least see some loses.

He can be countered. But in a context of TEAM game, he is too strong.
Durable damage dealer with utility. Only thing missing is being ranged.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 02 Jul 2015, 16:53

I thought it was kind of neat to have the alternate universe thing with the original RS. But then they really laid it on too thick with "There might even be a closer universe where I was the villain. How crazy would that be?" from team Magma (in my game).

My problem wasn't so much that though. The story was clichéd and dull. You had to run from place to place that you've already been just to battle a bunch of grunts you've already fought. When I had to refight all of the Team Aqua goons in the base I already 100% cleared, I was ready to tilt the fuck out. That's the kind of grindy BS that has driven me away from JRPGs in general. "Let's pad out gameplay by forcing the player to do stuff they've already done!"

The ending was also clichéd, but at least kind of interesting. It wasn't as bad as the non-ending of the main game. I really dislike how they're trying super hard to make it clear that they're shipping the MC with the "rival" who had spent the entire game being incredibly whiny and appearing out of nowhere for no real reason.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 03 Jul 2015, 00:53

I didn't like that they didn't let you save before Deoxys. Meaning if you downed him, you'd have to redo a lot all over again. At least you get a chance to catch it later, but at a higher level.

I haven't touched my game since the Delta since I've lost interest in Pokemon due to the competitive scene:
People using the meta Pokemon too much and being too aggressive when discussing alternate strategies. It's not a discussion, it's a YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG YOU EFFING NOOB. It makes the DotA scene seem civilized.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 04 Jul 2015, 09:17

Dragon Age Inquisition Play Through #2.

Some puzzles can get fucked.
Spirit Shards.
The Elven Archer Statue
The Emerald Graves Map Treasure Hunt.

NOPENOPENOPENOPE
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 20 Jul 2015, 14:51

TAP Amiibo actually makes me kind of angry.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 29 Jul 2015, 07:04

Pointless complexity.

Skyforge.

An action MMORPG.
Basic 3 classes are fine.
Right click/Left click. Charge. Activated abilities key bound. Nice.

Classes you unlock:
Use abilities as stated in the latter. Press this button to "flip" your actions so that your next ability does a different affect! That's on top of you putting up dots and spreading them, you then have a detonate the dots or stuffs and others kets to mnfbjqgifj2ipghnj2 so complex.

The Archer isn't so bad. You right click to change ammo. Right click to change again.

Normal -> Static -> Firey

But I'm disappointed that I hated the Necromancer (gets scythe) and Warlock (shoots ravens out of your face). Might try the Kinetic (Geomancer), but meh... aesphetics look dull. Cryomancer mechanically is nice, but I just never gotten into playing Ice Mages. More of a Fire/Lighting person.

**edit**

I noticed that I unlock the class's costume permanently if I make it through all of the training area with a class, so I had to try the Necromancer again. This time, it wasn't too bad. Just the training instructions felt a little clunky and at the end of it, I thought the class was more complex than it was.

Warlock test V2 was a little better. But still has some pointless fiddliness.

The Monk did a poor job of explaining the benefits of being in the different stances (Earth, Fire and Wind). They all seem to do the sameish. Air gets a charge and fire is a little more AoEy.

The ally support mechanic is clunky. You mouse over a friendly, press a button to LOCK onto it, then some of your skills modify to help the target. If you want to target a hostile you have to wrestle with the targetting to make the game recognize "ID LIKE TO DPS NOW PLZ".

Lightbringer DPS is fun to play as, but it's a support with the shitty support mechanic as above.

Kinetic seems the most enjoyable by far. It's like a Aero-geomancer. The scythe of the necro is enough to let me reconsider it and be my 2nd choice.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 06 Aug 2015, 10:21

Well... they announced the next WoW expansion and it effing has Demon Hunters... Thanks Blizzard, You finally added the class I bought WoW to play.

Sign.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 18 Aug 2015, 21:13

When I was a kid, I played Sonic the Hedgehog. Did you play Sonic the Hedgehog? If you said yes, there's a good chance we didn't actually play the same game. Sonic 1 and 2 were first released on the Genesis (Mega Drive), and then 8-bit versions made for the Master System, which I had, with different mechanics and levels.

I decided to try speed running Sonic 1. But it's hard to find examples of the 8-bit one to learn from. I thought I had one, but guess what? There's actually 2 8-bit versions; one for Master System, and one for the Game Gear.

And since the Game Gear version was the one to be released on the 3DS store, I'm left trying to find information on the less popular version of a remaster of a 24 year old game, for the sake of nostalgia, and have fallen into a hole of sonic information...
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 25 Aug 2015, 21:24

Fuck Payday 2. It is neither a game deigned to allow for single-player (which is frustrating when you only play with one other person), nor is it actually designed for stealth. The game mechanics are almost fully designed for a shooter. Which is fine. But don't pretend to offer stealth gameplay.

For example, I just spent 20 minutes 'stealthing' a mission. Though, in reality, that means sitting and waiting for drills for 10 minutes, killing any guards with a silenced weapons, and 'taking hostages' in back areas. I got through it with one glitched AI that wouldn't allow me to tie them down and make them not a threat.

So I go to the one safe. It's not the right one because fuck you, player who had to wait for that stupid drill. I had to drill through the other door since I couldn't get a second keycard. I waited, took out the last guard, finished up the back area. Cool. 20 minutes of standing around doing nothing. Fun fun fun.

Finally, the other door opens. I go up the stairs. 5 different guards are waiting up there. They instantly see me, open fire, which alerts the entire level of me.

How the hell am I supposed to 'stealth' that?! That wasn't an optional place to go. There wasn't any good way of knowing they were there. But now. All that work. For nothing.

It doesn't help that the AI literally stand around and do nothing. They'll help in a firefight. That's it. They won't carry bags. They won't get you out if you get caught. They won't help you 'stealth.' Hell, even the hostage AI can't handle stairs

I'm getting sick of it. Which is too bad. It's a fun, fairly cool game. But I'm just getting fed up of the poor AI and fake 'stealth' is offers.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 27 Aug 2015, 07:07

I have a pokemon Ridiculous Ruby Nuzlocke run going on youtube, and I just hit my 20th episode. The game is a hack by someone on the Nuzlocke forums. Nuzlocke is a set of self-imposed rules for a pokemon game, where you can only catch the first new pokemon you encounter on a route, and where you must consider any pokemon that faints as dead.

I've had a pretty good team for a while, including the slayer of Gyms: Dolphin, the lanturn. She's been with me since right before the third gym, and I was just in Seafloor cavern. Both Archie and Maxie are in this hack to battle, so that's even more fun, but they both have their respective legendary, at level 50! I was able to beat my way through Archie with some difficulty, then take on Maxie. I beat 2/3s of his team just fine, but then he plays a garchomp. I send out Dolphin to ice beam it to death, but it survives with a sliver of health, while she's down in yellow health, but high yellow.

2 full restores later, the Garchomp is still down in the red, a hairs breadth away from death, but it outspeeds Dolphin and uses outrage. Not too bad, I think, but then I see the health still ticking down... Outrage was a critical hit. My team is in no shape to face something like that, so I send out my skarmory to finish it off, and thankfully it works.

Then his next pokemon is a Honchkrow, yes, this game has higher gen pokemon, and I keep using my Skarmory to deal with it, fly, but then it gets off a heat wave, while the sun is still in effect, because Groudon is fucking on Maxies team when he's trying to awaken it!

My Slaking takes it down, because she's the fastest pokemon on my team, but now I have to train up some newbies right before the last gym. Oh yeah, and I repelled my way to groudon and just tossed a masterball at it.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 28 Aug 2015, 08:44

Adding to yesterday's post, I just lost my starter to a freaking destiny bond because I was speeding through attack after attack after attack. I can't even blame the ridiculous difficulty of the hack or anything else, it was just my own fault.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 28 Aug 2015, 17:44

I'm finishing Catherine at the moment. I feel like the game conspires around you to kill off the Stray Sheep NPCs every waking chance it gets. It's almost imposslbe to save them without a walkthrough and some very rigurous timing.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 09 Oct 2015, 02:08

Competitive e-Sports players look younger and younger. I am starting to lose hope that I'll ever be a competitive e-Sports player. They're children.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 18 Oct 2015, 08:36

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:Competitive e-Sports players look younger and younger. I am starting to lose hope that I'll ever be a competitive e-Sports player. They're children.

I did Street Fighter and Soul Calibur tournaments at the age of 16 and was the number one player until I was 18. When I got bored and moved on. Seriously, making your hobby a job is terrible. What do you go to when you finish work? Age is never really a factor when it comes to gaming.

Also I've been playing Metal Gear Solid. Every single game in existence from Metal Gear to Metal Gear 5. I'm on 4 now! What the FUCK have they done to the series?!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.

Return to “Video Games”