The Game Venting Thread

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby ANeMzero » 28 Oct 2015, 12:49

So Arkham Knight finally re-released on PC and.. it is shit.

Despite reassuring players that the lackluster and woefully behind schedule "Interim" patch was just meant as a stopgap before a more substantial patch to hit upon the relaunch of the game, todays patch has added effectively nothing.

In fact, the only notable change in the "Patch Notes" is the fact that they've included DLC support, this coming after they promised they'd have the game at least on par with the console versions before they even started working on DLC.

In reality the only performance "changes" in the patch notes today have literally nothing to do with the actual game code. Instead they have recommended helpful tips for users to ensure a better experience, such as regularly restarting the game when it begins to stutter, or doubling the amount of ram in your computer.

I'm not even kidding, one of their "fixes" that apparently took a quarter of a god damned year is "If you run the game with 12gb of ram (twice the ram suggested as a minimum spec and 50% more than the recommended specs) you should notice less stuttering."

Add to all this the fact that the "apology" package of the other Arkham games doesn't include giftable copies and the fact that anyone who buys the game before November 16th gets that package, *and* the game is now $10USD / $20CAD less than it was for those of us who bought it back in June and the whole thing is just a massive Fuck you to fans who were stupid enough to trust Rocksteady.
and now; back to me.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 28 Oct 2015, 14:56

12GB RAM to play a game smoothly.
Piss off.

(for context. I spent almost £1000 on a prebuilt PC that has 8GB. I don't want Arkham Knight to tell me I am a scrub within 8 months of owning it :P)
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 28 Oct 2015, 15:09

Yeah, and it should be noted that it isn't as if there are just undocumented fixes. Benchmarks have shown that the new patch doesn't do anything for performance over the "interim" patch from a few months back.

They "worked" on this for months and the best they could come up with was "get more ram" and "try turning it off and on again."

I can't imagine this not showing up in this weeks Checkpoint, or at least a mention in the aftershow. It would be a comedic level of incompetence if it weren't so frustrating and sad.
and now; back to me.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 23 Nov 2015, 16:00

Divinity Original Sin feels sluggish.

Certainly unique experience. Has an old school RPG feel with a standard aesthetic.
Just it feels sluggish.
It could benefit with a little better direction. Wasted a lot of time running into areas which are too dangerous.

Perhaps when I adjust my party's skills, it might feel better?
Not sure it's worth the £30 I spent on it yet. I'm not having £30 of enjoyment yet.

Some fun things you can do in combat.

Could benefit from auto-resolution mode.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 26 Nov 2015, 15:09

Did you get the Enhanced Edition?
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 26 Nov 2015, 16:27

Yes
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 26 Nov 2015, 20:35

It felt a bit slower than the original but there's way more combat and tactical elements that got added and changed. Used to be when you hit a target with lightning that was in a puddle, the puddle got electrified and stunned ally and enemy alike. Now you need to actively target the puddle to do it.

Also some bosses got new mechanics.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 28 Nov 2015, 07:59

I bought what I called "Manly Dress-Up Game with Punching 2K15". I requested a refund because I didn't find the game fun enough.

It caused me to wish I was better at character drawing.

I love character costume design in video games. It seems barmy that I risked £8.50 for a Manly-Punchy edition. When I can do it for free if I was confident enough.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 08 Dec 2015, 09:43

So I made a post venting about the FF7 Remake and then deleted it, complaining about the combat system. Now it's also episodic. And they're changing the story. Watching the latest Checkpoint (211), my feelings are very close to what Graham mentioned. This feels like they're not really remaking it. They're making a new game heavily based off of it.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 08 Dec 2015, 12:08

From what I gather, the FF7 "remake" feels like a remake in the same way Star Trek Into Darkness is a "remake" of Space Seed, Wrath of Khan, and Undiscovered Country.

(Not a perfect analogy, but my feelings towards Into Darkness are fairly reminiscent of Graham's rant about FF7)
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 08 Dec 2015, 15:18

Let me be the first to say, I adore Final Fantasy 7. I think the combat change is a GOOD thing. I want each of you to name one time the combat in Final Fantasy 7 made you struggle. It happens 3 times. Maybe 4. Emerald, Ruby, Wutai Pagoda and maybe Sephiroth at the end. (In fact, most likely. I Hero Drinked it up to stop the transformations.) Now with it being more like Crisis Core's combat, I think this is for the better. Even trivial fights can get the better of you if you're not careful.

Hell, I'm replaying the original Final Fantasy 7 AGAIN that I bought on PS4 for the theme and the trophies. And I'll be the first to 100% it without using the cheats on PS4. (Just left Midgar. Long, long way away. People have already finished it with all trophies with cheats.) I am adoring the game but the combat is... well, Final Fantasy. And I guess the change takes away from that nostalgia. I think we all wanted a graphical overhaul of our game. But I can't see this combat change as a bad thing. At least not until I play it for myself to feel it.

But what the fuck is with that episode bullshit. I have to pay for each fucking disc separately because they want to "give it more detail"? Then I'll wait! I've waited this long for it! I'll wait more! I'm not buying the game three times at full price!

Final Fantasy 7-3: Cloud Returns.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 08 Dec 2015, 15:22

For once I am glad I never played the game when it was released and never gotten into it. Meaning I am not personally affected by this.
However, I have great sympathy for people who the original game is so dear to them.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 08 Dec 2015, 15:59

Darkobra wrote:Let me be the first to say, I adore Final Fantasy 7. I think the combat change is a GOOD thing. I want each of you to name one time the combat in Final Fantasy 7 made you struggle. It happens 3 times. Maybe 4. Emerald, Ruby, Wutai Pagoda and maybe Sephiroth at the end. (In fact, most likely. I Hero Drinked it up to stop the transformations.) Now with it being more like Crisis Core's combat, I think this is for the better. Even trivial fights can get the better of you if you're not careful.

Hell, I'm replaying the original Final Fantasy 7 AGAIN that I bought on PS4 for the theme and the trophies. And I'll be the first to 100% it without using the cheats on PS4. (Just left Midgar. Long, long way away. People have already finished it with all trophies with cheats.) I am adoring the game but the combat is... well, Final Fantasy. And I guess the change takes away from that nostalgia. I think we all wanted a graphical overhaul of our game. But I can't see this combat change as a bad thing. At least not until I play it for myself to feel it.

But what the fuck is with that episode bullshit. I have to pay for each fucking disc separately because they want to "give it more detail"? Then I'll wait! I've waited this long for it! I'll wait more! I'm not buying the game three times at full price!

Final Fantasy 7-3: Cloud Returns.

I just really dislike the whole active combat system that's been becoming more and more popular. It's part of the reason I didn't care for anything beyond FF10. I prefer the turn-based style (or semi turn-based as the case may be). If it is more along the lines of Crisis Core, then I might be able to deal with it. But it looks closer to FF13's gameplay from what little we've seen.

As for struggling, I admit that it's been quite a long time since I replayed FF7. But I remember having difficulty in a number of battles. Though they were mostly bosses from what I can remember.

It's possible that the combat change is, at it's core, a good thing. But I feel like they could have reworked it to be closer to the original than the newer games and still gave it more challenge like you describe. Even with that problem though, changing one of the core elements that makes JRPGs unique from one another in such a major way for what's meant to be a remake just doesn't sit right with me.

As for the whole episodic thing, it just seems silly to me. It feels like it's basically just the publisher trying to get as much money as they can earlier than possible. And if they really do change full retail price for each one... bluh.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 10 Jan 2016, 15:13

Happy New Year, Game Venting Thread.
I've been marathoning Bayonetta today. I haven't been this physically exhausted since... well, the Clover games. Viewtiful Joe. God Hand. I feel like 'Normal' to these people is Nightmare Mode by any other measure. I can't be anything less than perfect to actually be good.
DaMage
First Video: Wireless

Postby DaMage » 11 Jan 2016, 02:26

As anyone who has ever played Xcom, or watch Cam's streams of it you know how things can turn quickly. I have to share this game-ender that I just had.

Was having a good play-through, had a deep (though injury prone) roster, 6 squad members unlocked by middle of second month, along with laser rifles and two snipers with squadsight. I had a crashed ufo mission, and took along most of my high level troops for a capture. On the first turn a troop triggers three thin men, catching half the squad out of position.

The thin men then nearly kill a sniper (one health left), but otherwise it's fine. One thin man is killed by a sniper, the other is only damaged as the rest of the squad misses. The sniper that was hurt is also healed. The thin men then hit a critical on the same sniper again killing her. The my veteran heavy panics and kills the rookie next to him, this then panics the other rookie. Then two seekers appear.

In the next few turns my main snipers misses 3 76% shots to kill the remaining thin man, my veteran assault panics run forward and is killed, and seekers put damage on the rest of my squad as everyone misses whenever they appear. At the end I'm left with only 3 troops, my sniper, a rookie and heavy. I abandon the mission due to all being low on health.

A day later the first terror mission happens and I only have a sniper and 5 rookies to throw at it. I pave the save and quit.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 11 Jan 2016, 03:17

Playing Defence Grid 1 again after completing Defence Grid 2.
Apparently according to reviews 1 is better than 2, but, I have issues with that statement.

I can't stand how I can't see the HP of the aliens in 1. It let me understand what was going on. It's not fun gameplay wondering if this alien will die before it leaves my death maze.

The clarity of things feels mucky in comparison. You can't see the pathing of the aliens in 1.

2 is a better game because it is less annoying. Sod those who disagree.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 14 Jan 2016, 02:45

My only gripe with the Defence Grid games is when you start a level for the first time, and all you see is something like this:

You then spend the next hour working out what to do, or you close the game down in fear.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 18 Feb 2016, 21:23

The fact that Nintendo is making all of five copies of Fire Emblem Fates' special edition is stupid. Don't make the only way to get the full experience of your game so limited that copies are going for nearly three times MSRP online. I've seen them selling for about $220 on Ebay. I want to play the game. I wouldn't mind paying $80 for all three versions of the game on a physical cart. But I've made up my mind that I won't be buying it unless it's the full version.

It reminds me of the amiibo shortages in a really bad way.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 19 Feb 2016, 04:53

Blade & Soul is a fun game.
However, the quest system annoys me.

It's your traditional every player for themselves as they try to tag mobs before anyone else. Seriously, that MMO game design should have died out years ago. Your MMO has a design flaw if your player actively wishes there were fewer players playing.
CamelKnackRambleHort
First Video: Cursing

Postby CamelKnackRambleHort » 19 Feb 2016, 10:50

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:My only gripe with the Defence Grid games is when you start a level for the first time, and all you see is something like this:

You then spend the next hour working out what to do, or you close the game down in fear.

To me that is the fun of a tower defense game. Deciphering the scenario is what makes them worth playing.
She/her please
Psycat Aurora
First Video: Rejected WiiPlay Games

Postby Psycat Aurora » 23 Feb 2016, 15:54

So I am super pissed with Square Enix right now. I bought 4 months worth of game time to start playing FF14 again and was playing for a bit. Now, for seemingly no reason my game crashes when I try to load it up so I can't play at all, even after reinstalling it. After trying to contact tech support for a week, I finally get a list of things to try in order to fix it, which don't solve the problem. Now I have over 3 months worth of paid game time I can't use on a broken game. And Square doesn't refund game time.
Deviantart: Psycat-Aurora
Instagram: @psycataurora
Tumblr: Psycat Aurora
Twitter: @Psycat_Aurora
Defenestar
First Video: Feed Dump

Postby Defenestar » 10 Mar 2016, 02:03

I want to love The Long War. The Xcom mod so big it kicked off a studio.

But by Nylarthotep's nutsack, I hate being set up to lose.

I'm down with difficult fights. I'm totally fine with tests of my tactical ability. But if a game wants to throw units at me that are more maneuverable than my guys, have twice as many hitpoints, deal half again as much damage, have damage reduction against my attacks and regenerate health when they're hurt; then it had better have the decency not to have my goons outnumbered by the bastards.

Christ on a croissant. High difficulty and randomness are fine, but not with a long iteration time between attempts or a large penalty for failure.
Aeralis
First Video: enn: Nerd Flu

Postby Aeralis » 14 Mar 2016, 11:05

I'm enjoying FF14, I just wish they didn't waste your time so much. So many of these main story quests are just "run around pointlessly back and forth through the same areas." I dread getting any quests related to the Scions because I know it means I'm gonna have to make that trek to the Waking Sands a couple more times. Everything else seems pretty on point though, it's just the blatant effort to waste time and squeeze another month of subscription out of you that bothers me.

I've had generally positive dungeon experiences... until last night. We very nearly wiped because our healer was pulling all the enemies at once because he "was getting tired and wanted to finish the dungeon quickly." He went down, followed quickly by our tank. Luckily I'm playing as an Arcanist so I managed to get them revived and kept the other DPS alive long enough to finish off the mob, but when I called out the healer on how getting himself killed does not help us finish faster he just rather abrasively told me to "calm down, nothing bad happened." (It is my experience that most healers are bossy know-it-alls, and this guy fit the bill perfectly.) We ended up losing the tank and that other DPS quit out of frustration, and we ended up having to fight the boss with me and another Arcanist that showed up using our Topaz Carbuncles as our team's tanks.

It was completely ridiculous, but hey, it got me two player commendations.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 15 Mar 2016, 19:58

Who should I hold responsible for the lack of moderation in a multiplayer game - the publisher (i.e. Sony) or the dev (i.e. Naughty Dog)? Who's supposed to monitor the banning system?
MisterDee
First Video: It's Magic

Postby MisterDee » 17 Mar 2016, 08:36

Defenestar wrote:I want to love The Long War. The Xcom mod so big it kicked off a studio.

I believe Long War has fights you're supposed to recognize are un-winnable, and that you're supposed to scrub the mission and just take the country loss or whatever.

Return to “Video Games”