The Game Venting Thread

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

The Game Venting Thread

Postby Kapol » 24 Jun 2013, 14:01

Bullshit boss who one shots you got you down? Dumb teammate AI walking to their fiery death making you Steam? Pissed off that people think that Gordon Freeman is an amazing character? Opponent top-deck a Terminus for the win? This is the thread for you!

I figure that many of us has moments where games, or game-related things, piss us off. I figured that this thread, separate from the more serious venting thread, would be appropriate. So post here with your game-related vents.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Re: The Game Venting Thread

Postby Metcarfre » 24 Jun 2013, 14:04

Why is every game too long

I don't think I've finished a game since Halo ODST.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 24 Jun 2013, 14:10

Tutorials that teach you only the basic controls then leave you floundering in the deep end. Frozen Synapse I'm looking at you!
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 24 Jun 2013, 14:24

I really like Dungeon Defenders. I think it's a fairly fun game. However, I hate playing multiplayer. So the fact they've made pretty much all of the DLC very hard to solo even on lower difficulties pisses me right off.

I'm currently going through the last of the Eternia Shards DLC trying to beat it by myself. I'm on medium, and I can't do it. It's not because the enemies are too hard, it's because I can't be in enough freaking places at once. I've been able to beat the main campaign and most of the original challenges on insane by myself. But the levels make that very difficult even with pretty much every standard character in the game leveled past 70.

The main problem is that the game seems to have fallen in love with the idea of having, on top of the spawn points, enemies just come from various points in the map and attack. The level I'm on, for example, has helicopters that come and drop the largest, most powerful enemy right next the my crystal. You can kill these helicopters before they arrive... but due to the size of the map, all the stuff going on, and the fact it'll send three or four at a time, that quickly becomes very difficult.

On the other hand, I'm sure that if I had four people who had high DPS like me, we could breeze through it. Likely even on hard or insane, because each of us could basically defend one spot. But I don't fucking want to play online. This isn't an MMO. I should be able to at least beat the levels on lower difficulties by myself. If it's because of my level, then offer some kind of way for me to level up at a decent pace. Because I've been playing for hours and haven't leveled up once.

I dunno. I enjoyed the game when it was at the very least possible to play through on single player. But it seems like they're pushing towards 'you have to play multiplayer!' Not because of the waves, but because of the number of enemies that just can spawn in the middle of the map.

Also, fuck the freaking spiders. Seriously.

Update: I beat the level... on Easy. With the help of someone else. Without that person, there's no way I would have been able to beat it. Again, the problem wasn't my defenses. Those could take on the hoards without any trouble. The problem was entirely in the game dropping the most powerfully enemy right behind my defenses and next to the crystal. This was a choice I'm willing to bet was made in order to make it so you had to do it multiplayer or be incredibly powerful.

Not every game needs to have freaking multiplayer.
Last edited by Kapol on 24 Jun 2013, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 24 Jun 2013, 22:59

Shao Khan. Basically any fighting game last boss, difficulty spikes like crazy.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 25 Jun 2013, 00:19

Fuck you Ratchet and Clank's final boss! Just fuck you!!
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 25 Jun 2013, 03:00

The nature of PvP Battlegrounds in MMORPGS.

I play World of Warcraft as a healer. I have awful gear (I am fresh 90) and I queue for BGs. I get in, and I am the only healer on my team. The enemy team has a healer that statistically ought to have better gear than me.
I don't have the stats to keep my team alive well-enough. If I get focused I have little I can do to survive. It's not an enjoyable experience. Having a second healer with you is lovely as it means they can intervene if you're having trouble (because in random PUG PvP players aren't aware of all their skills and how they can be used in a team-context).

This is why no one wants to heal. It's a vicious cyle of player failings.
-
I also dislike that Defence Grid won't let you pause and 'look at the gameplay field'. It feels like the game isn't designed for you to win first time under any circumstances. You have to play through the level and fail first to know what to expect wave-wise. Being able to pause and look at the map and what's going on will help a lot with potentially suceeding first-time. It also feels too much like a Puzzle-Game (like Lemmings) in that there is only 1 solution (as in, just refer to a youtube tutorial to see what to do).
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 25 Jun 2013, 05:07

I finally managed to dock my refueler with my orbiting station in Kerbal last night, I think I need to place RCS ports more carefully. I honestly find it easier to hit the Mun than an orbiting station.

I've needed asprin ever since
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 25 Jun 2013, 05:44

What Kapol said for DD, also applies to more and more games in general.

Even if the game is playable solo, often you'll find NPCs nattering on, and those dang loading screens cajoling you to be social and interactive with other human beings.

"You should find some friends. You'll never be able to do it alone!"

"Funny; I AM doing it alone JUST FINE. Maybe a little slower than one would expect, but I'm comfortable with pacing that *I* set, so please SHUT UP."
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 25 Jun 2013, 06:52

Geoff_B wrote:Tutorials that teach you only the basic controls then leave you floundering in the deep end. Frozen Synapse I'm looking at you!

I'm willing to give Crusader Kings II bottom marks in that category; had to learn everything by experiment and by internet.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 25 Jun 2013, 06:54

Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 is quite similar.
It has a tutorial that tells you stuff, but it forget to tell you things that will help resolve some really annoying things.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 25 Jun 2013, 10:51

empath wrote:What Kapol said for DD, also applies to more and more games in general.

Even if the game is playable solo, often you'll find NPCs nattering on, and those dang loading screens cajoling you to be social and interactive with other human beings.

"You should find some friends. You'll never be able to do it alone!"

"Funny; I AM doing it alone JUST FINE. Maybe a little slower than one would expect, but I'm comfortable with pacing that *I* set, so please SHUT UP."

One of the biggest problems I had with that was RE5. I went through RE5 on the hardest difficulty... with an AI partner. On the hardest difficulty, you can get one-shot pretty easily. There were many, many times I got hit with my partner right next to me. I went into bleed-out mode, and my partner has a ton of healing items. She never healed me. Ever.

But the reason this pisses me off with DD so much is that DD used to not be so bad about it. It was only when they added DLC that it became annoying. They added in a new difficulty which throws the worst enemies onto older maps and ramps the difficulty up a huge amount, they added maps that are set up so that you can't really handle it solo, and they spiked the difficulty on those maps so that, unless you're a high level, you're likely going to use.

But they didn't add any good way to get XP. I have 4 characters at 70 or beyond. I think this was the original cut off point for levels. I played for hours yesterday, and I managed to level one of them once while power-leveling a friend. This is after playing through one of the new maps twice, power-leveling twice, and playing other modes for fun for quite a bit.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 25 Jun 2013, 11:11

When you start to play Resident Evil 6
You hammer the buttons and wiggle the sticks
To punch or to move or to shoot or to kick
You hammer the buttons and wiggle the sticks

I'm screaming at Leon because he's so thick
His spatial awareness is that of a brick
This camera keeps jerking, it's making me sick!
So hammer the buttons and wiggle the sticks

What's with these controls? Are they taking the mick?
No! Hammer the buttons and wiggle the sticks
Just give me some tactics an option to pick!
No! Hammer the buttons and wiggle the sticks

These darn QTEs happen too flipping quick
I'm tired of moving the analog stick
If this camera keeps jerking I'm going to be sick!
So hammer the buttons and wiggle the sticks!

Hammer the buttons and wiggle the sticks!

I haven't played RE6 myself but you just reminded me :D

Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 25 Jun 2013, 12:05

I hate it in MGS4 when Raiden starts giving you advice.

No offence mate, but I've saved the world...uh... 3 times now? 3 and half if your count your little episode, since I did half the work, and I didn't get captured and stripped naked. Thanks but no thanks Raiden.

Oh and while you're here Raiden. Stop acting like such a whiny bitch. I'm ageing rapidly, may have a couples of years left and in half that time I'll become a walking biological weapon, and I'm still out there doing my job...So yeah, just suck it up and grow some balls Raiden. Since you were seemingly lacking any balls, literately, in MGS2.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 25 Jun 2013, 12:51

My brother stole my Final Fantasy 10. One of my friends gave me hers. And it started off alright. But I remembered. The story fucking sucks! I remembered the entire story from the beginning scene and how it was bad!

So I tried to play on to figure out why I enjoyed the game so much. And her disc is corrupt. So I need to wait until December for the PS3 remake before I find out. But THAT comes with X-2 with an EVEN WORSE story!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 25 Jun 2013, 13:36

Awww I liked Final Fantasy X-2. Mainly because it's a fix-fic for X. I hated the story for X as well.

Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 27 Jun 2013, 18:11

Can't figure out why Dragon Age II keeps crashing. It's not so frequent that it gets in the way of playing, and it's often been not too far after an autosave so it's not been ruining my playing the game, but it's still a pain in the ass and I can't figure it out.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 27 Jun 2013, 18:52

Well they probably still have memory leaks in their code just like their very first one. It's actually why I had quit the game series entirely.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 02 Jul 2013, 12:37

Stopping playing an RPG for a few months due to holidays/events/etc. then coming back to it and having no idea what you were planning to do storyline-wise or character-build-wise... Image
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 03 Jul 2013, 06:33

World of Warcraft.
It sucks playing with a group of people who are now older, which means they have a job and can afford to server and faction change.
Meaning you, with all 11 classes level 83+ have to pay about £300 just to play with them if they jump ship because you've invested time in having all crafting proffessions maxed on all characters.
And understanably you don't want to "reroll" because you're having to invest more time to build a character you've already built (thus no feeling of curiosity of 'what's round the next corner') because THEY were the ones who moved.

Thankfully WoW now has the ability for you to communicate with friends cross servers and factions. You can group in the outside world with friend's characters of the same faction, and do BGs and RBGs with them. And next patch Arena and Raids. Blizzard are disolving server restrictions which is cool. I just hope you can have X-server guilds as well. So at least, you only need to be on the same faction.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 04 Jul 2013, 00:35

I stopped playing WoW when it all became about raiding. My guild, which started off as a friendly, casual guild suddenly became obsessed. Which would be fine if I was actually able to join them, but they became draconian about setting times that I said on multiple occasions I could not make and could they start a few minutes later or, you know, wait. Then they became draconian about gear and stats and stuff.

Guilds are casual only until they get to raiding.

So that was mainly what put me off.

Dibria
First Video: The Job

Postby Dibria » 07 Jul 2013, 03:19

FUCKING EVE ONLINE.

Enough said.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 11 Jul 2013, 00:34

RPGs with overwhelming character progression systems.

You start the game for the first time. You're asked to make a character/you level up.

You're then presented with various 'interactive spread sheets' of numbers to increase or icons to select. Any tooltips are written heavily in jargon.
You don't know the nature of combat yet in this game. All you know is that you have lots of numbers, words and pictures to understand.

You're worried about picking the wrong thing, and regretting it for the rest of the game. You're worried that you'll have to 'restart the game' once you've understood.

With RPGs, when there's complex character development, there needs to be a better tutorial to actually explain what things are. *Some* games have the 'auto level' feature, but that just removes the aspect of 'choice'. That's a patronising method. You have walk-throughs. But *why* must you need them?
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 11 Jul 2013, 01:24

Sometimes I'll start an RPG then play for a short time to get the hang of the battle/levelling system, then I'll restart from the beginning with a better idea of what I'm doing. I've never really found tutorials to be all that helpful beyond "Press this to make that happen".

Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 11 Jul 2013, 03:21

I've never completed a Western RPG with the first character I've rolled.

Except for Dragon Age 1 and 2.
-
I think one reason is that I'm a Jack-of-All-Trades person and I enjoy exploring a game's class system. I enjoyed trying all roles.

Perhaps the reason I completed Dragon Age 1 and 2 with my first characters was because you formed a party with the holy Quadrinity. So you actively played all you needed to play simuteiniously.

Return to “Video Games”