Newbie Minecraft Achievements

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Trisha Lynn
First Video: Can't remember

Newbie Minecraft Achievements

Postby Trisha Lynn » 20 Feb 2014, 13:10

So, in anticipation of the day when I can afford to buy Minecraft, I have been playing the demo over and over again. Today, I played two different times and once I found a mine, saw a cave spider spawner, and got killed by a zombie. When I reset the world, I set off in a different direction, started mining, and ended up finding a ton of iron ore, a bunch of red stone, and hitting bedrock.

I think I really love the "Video James" stream because it makes me want to play Minecraft more and I get to watch how to do things rather than read the wiki.

Any other good newbie Minecraft stories?

Trisha Lynn
...still not sure how to find diamonds...
Publisher/Editor, GeekingOutAbout.com
http://www.geekingoutabout.com
On Twitter: @trishalynn
On Twitch and the LRRCraft server: cattleprodlynn
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Re: Newbie Minecraft Achievements

Postby AdmiralMemo » 20 Feb 2014, 13:19

Diamonds spawn between level 1 and level 16, but usually somewhere around level 12. Search near lava and you'll likely find some.

Also, I'm trying to get a good time to set up the End Raid on LRRcraft, since most people on haven't experienced The End. It'll probably be in a month or two.

Preparation: A good sword, a good bow, lots of armor and food, and some potions.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 20 Feb 2014, 14:26

Lynn you can "smelt" cobble into the Stone blocks which occur naturally.

I burn excess coal and time with that.
Trisha Lynn

Postby Trisha Lynn » 20 Feb 2014, 18:09

A nice person here whom I'm calling A. Nonny Moose (until he/she wants to out him/herself) has just gifted me a copy of Minecraft. I am so overwhelmed with gratitude. *blush* I think that I'm still gonna save money for a copy so that I can pay it forward to another LRR fan who also wants to play.

I have a question about levels and mining and stuff, but I don't know how to read the F3 menu stuff. Can someone point me towards a good resource? The wiki is a little less than helpful.

Trisha Lynn
...oh, so addicting...
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 20 Feb 2014, 19:01

You really only need to know three things about your F3 info. Well, four. It also tells you what biome you're in, which helps. But also:

Your x, y, and z coordinates help you navigate, if you don't want to eyeball it. Y is how up or down you are, so you can usually ignore it. But if you write down your x and z coordinates for your home base, you can hit F3 and watch those coordinates change as you move, so that way you always know where your base is.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 21 Feb 2014, 02:38

Y is useful for Mining if you want to be in the "Diamond Band". But I personally go to bed rock and hover around there.

Y is most useful if you're having a panic attack at being underground and you really want to find the surface. I sometimes get claustrophobia in Minecraft if I am done with mining and would really like to get home please.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 21 Feb 2014, 06:43

so, i downloaded the demo and started playing, but I couldn't do anything. I would flail away at trees and nothing would happen.

I even found a chest with a stone axe in and a few other things, but none of them would work on anything, making the game completely pointless.

Anyone know if this is a common problem or if there is an easy fix for it?
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
owl+ bungee cord= my arse
First Video: I do not remember it was years ago.

Postby owl+ bungee cord= my arse » 21 Feb 2014, 07:31

Are you holding left click or just tapping? I thought you had to keep tapping when I first watched LP's of minecraft but it turns out you have to hold left click.
iamafish

Postby iamafish » 21 Feb 2014, 07:40

so turns out I'm a scrub... i was tapping left, not clicking it.

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 21 Feb 2014, 07:50

That actually took me a little while to learn as well.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 21 Feb 2014, 08:00

You must channel your lumbering ability,
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 21 Feb 2014, 08:39

Prospero101 wrote:That actually took me a little while to learn as well.

Ditto. I felt rather silly.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 21 Feb 2014, 09:17

If you have 15 stacks of 64 blocks of sand you want to put into a chest, you can open the chest then hold shift, and click each one,

OR you can open the chest then pick up any item lets say a block of cobble. Hold Shift and Double click on any stack of sand and ALL the sand will move into the box.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
iamafish

Postby iamafish » 21 Feb 2014, 11:05

after working out how to actually play the game, I had a pretty good few days. I made a house out of mismatched wood and then made a mine and dug till I found an amazing cave system that I then spent most of the game exploring, killing thing and mining for stuff in my cave. It was great fun.

Second game I found a hole that looked idea for establishing an underground base, until I dug into a hoard of things that all wanted to kill me, i died, spawned into night time, went back, died, spawned, went back, died, paved the game.

Turns out minecraft is actually surprisingly hard to get established in. And once it all goes to pot early, you're fucked.

I probably wont buy the whole game just yet, because I have finals coming up. Maybe afterwards.

My Twitter

SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Postby SAJewers » 21 Feb 2014, 11:26

Yeah, watching James has made me want to buy Minecraft, but it just seems like where TF2 is now where it's just so daunting for a completely new player that you're way in over your head.

Played the demo for about half an hour, and I think watching James and the group stream made things easier for me as a new player, but I still feel there's a lot I don't know. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 21 Feb 2014, 11:57

iamafish wrote:Turns out minecraft is actually surprisingly hard to get established in. And once it all goes to pot early, you're fucked.

I've never found that. If you're not building near the default spawn point, you can make a bed (using two wood planks and 2 wool, which you can get from just punching sheep), and when you sleep in a bed it resets your spawn to there. So you can make a small protective hut and bed to respawn in, and just expand from there regardless of how many times you die.

The other thing is never carry what you can't afford to lose on you, just like in EVE Online. My usual kit is just an iron pick, a couple spare cobble picks, a stone axe, a stone shovel, some bread, and a stack of torches. Never takes long to get going again. Sure, you'll lose some gold or diamond every once in a while to a surprise creeper or lava pool, but there's always plenty more out there.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Trisha Lynn

Postby Trisha Lynn » 21 Feb 2014, 12:51

AdmiralMemo wrote:Diamonds spawn between level 1 and level 16

I hear you and James say stuff like this, but then I look at the debug screen info (the info you get when you hit F3) and I have no idea how to tell when I'm at the right level.

So after waking up hella early, I played single player some more:

* I made a smaller version of that mob farm that James made by building up from inside my underground base. I have only one water channel and one room that's smaller in area than James'. I also regularly switch between Peaceful and Easy; this is probably why I don't catch a lot of monsters in it. (I also died by falling down through the center while finishing it... whoops.)
* I also built a rad bridge across a lake with a dirt beacon/tower on the other side. Once I finish clearing some more forest, I'll be leading a few cows and some sheep back over it and into the pens I built.
* I'm currently shoring up, mining ores, and clearing out this major cave/labyrinth that's connected to my base. There's one room I found which had an Enderman in it; the sign plate I put leading to the room says "Really Dangerous Room" on it. I think I'm either gonna block it off or explore some more when I have diamond armor and weapons.

I think I'm ready for the LRRCraft server.

Trisha Lynn
...now to find un-tilled, un-mined land...
Trisha Lynn

Postby Trisha Lynn » 21 Feb 2014, 12:52

iamafish wrote:I probably wont buy the whole game just yet, because I have finals coming up. Maybe afterwards.

Make it your post-finals gift to you. This game is addicting as hell. I haven't gotten a lot of other stuff done today.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 21 Feb 2014, 14:13

Trisha Lynn wrote:
AdmiralMemo wrote:Diamonds spawn between level 1 and level 16

I hear you and James say stuff like this, but then I look at the debug screen info (the info you get when you hit F3) and I have no idea how to tell when I'm at the right level.

Okay, they're talking 'altitude' or depth (with "sea level" being 64 iirc?)

THIS IS YOUR "Y" co-ordinate, in the F3 window: X & Z are lat and long, and Y is height/depth, going from y=0 to y=255.

When you see

Code: Select all

y: 12.000 (feet pos, 13.620 eyes pos)

you should be around the optimum depth to search for diamonds.

I think I'm ready for the LRRCraft server.

Trisha Lynn
...now to find un-tilled, un-mined land...

You'll wanna talk to Memo, our gracious host - he should be able to set you up in a spot perfect for your needs (keep in mind any future 'projects' you might wanna do...like a replica of l'Arc de Triomphe or St. Basil's or whatnot).
Trisha Lynn

Postby Trisha Lynn » 21 Feb 2014, 15:43

Oh, 12 to 14 thousand... I see. I was looking at the numbers after the X and Z coordinates and saw that they'd cycle from 1 to 15 continually, even as you went further down. For some reason, that's what I thought was meant.

Sent Memo a PM re: the LRRcraft server, but it will have to wait until he is less stressed and I come back from my vacation. I'm ideally looking for something either in a savannah biome or within a 10 to 20 minute hike to the ocean. I was trying to scout out locations using the map, but the page wasn't loading for me.

I'll take my LRRcraft questions to that thread, but in the meantime, when I find the folder where the screenshots are held, I can show you the neat staircase I made in Creative on a different seed.

Trisha Lynn
...chiseled stone looks badass...
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 21 Feb 2014, 16:45

Those aren't thousands. Those are block levels and fractions of blocks. I'm assuming you're both not American and not a computer programmer. The numbers in the F3 screen used to be just:

x=250
y=75
z=225

Each block is 1 X, Y, and Z. Officially, each block is 1 meter cubed. If you moved east 1 block, you'd be at:

x=251
y=75
z=225

Then, at some point, for some reason, Mojang made each coordinate ludicrously precise, and it's now something like:

x=250.375
y=75.000 (Without flying, you're almost always going to be on an exact Y coord, unless you're on a half block, which will then be 75.500)
z=225.893

I can see how non-Americans would view 1.000 as one thousand instead of just a precise one, though. I don't know why the comma and dot are flipped in certain places.

A good coordinate tutorial is here: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Coordinates

Jimor
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby Jimor » 21 Feb 2014, 20:51

Trisha Lynn wrote:Oh, 12 to 14 thousand... I see. I was looking at the numbers after the X and Z coordinates and saw that they'd cycle from 1 to 15 continually, even as you went further down. For some reason, that's what I thought was meant.

As part of each X and Z coordinate, it also give you your "chunk" number, and the block number within that chunk (0-15). The minecraft world is stored in memory, and loads onto your screen, as a series of 16x16 columns that extend from bedrock to the sky limit. One place where this is used is in the view distance option, so if you set it to "8", that means you can see 8x16 blocks, or 128 blocks in any direction.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 21 Feb 2014, 22:17

Diamonds and redstone occur most frequently between 5-12 Y, gold 5-30, Lava is most common 1-10, so the best spot to mine to me is a two or three high feet at 11.

Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Trisha Lynn

Postby Trisha Lynn » 22 Feb 2014, 00:52

AdmiralMemo wrote:Those aren't thousands. Those are block levels and fractions of blocks. I'm assuming you're both not American and not a computer programmer. The numbers in the F3 screen used to be just:

I live in the United States, and I'm not a programmer. :)
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 22 Feb 2014, 11:50

To expand on what Hosk said:

+X = East
-X = West
+Z = South
-Z = North
+Y = Above bedrock
-Y = Below bedrock (only possible with glitches, mods, creative mode, or falling off The End; also, at -100 Y, I believe, you start to suffocate, no matter what the mode.)

Return to “Video Games”