Elder Scrolls Online

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
thatlaurachick
First Video: Unskippable: Devil May Cry

Elder Scrolls Online

Postby thatlaurachick » 01 Apr 2014, 06:06

Who's playing? There is talk of a LRR guild, but it depends on how many people are interested.

I'm Delphwyn, Daggerfall Covenant. I'm a very tall Reguard Dragonknight. If you see me, say hi, I'll likely have some food or extra potions to trade.
I want a Pinkie launcher.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Re: Elder Scrolls Online

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 01 Apr 2014, 14:41

If my Computer was stronger I would have considered playing.
I'll be waiting for a trial/demo and having a better computer.

There were aspects I liked, and I am interested how they listened to feedback during the Beta test.
thatlaurachick

Postby thatlaurachick » 03 Apr 2014, 09:32

Re: Beta Feedback - they listened. However, the only people they listened to were the ultra-hardcore-bro-gamers who were whining about starting in a "starter area" and that everything was to eeeeeeeasy. Now you start in the first major city (which is nothing a level 1 can do) and there's no real indication to go to the "starter area" unless you were in beta and already know about it. Also, no one in our guild can finish the FIRST quest of the fighters guild, and we're all 5 levels over. Supposedly they're "reevaluating" the feedback, but it will take forever to fix the balance issues because there are so many game breaking bugs. Just like a normal Elder Scrolls game.

That said, it's still fun, when you can play in a group. Unfortunately, Guild quest lines are solo instances only.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 03 Apr 2014, 10:03

Did these people not think that it's easy BECAUSE IT'S A STARTER AREA?! They act as if they're thrown into an end-game raid against Mehrunes Dagon!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
thatlaurachick

Postby thatlaurachick » 03 Apr 2014, 10:30

Basically. The player base seems to be split between hardcore MMO players who expect this to be WoW (the fighting is not like a traditional MMO) and traditional RPG players, many of whom (like me) this is our first mouse and keyboard game. So even though I understand all the fights, I can't DO all the fights. I can circle-strafe just fine with a controller, but not with a keyboard. It's frustrating to me that there will never be a way to use the controller with the PC release. My keyboard/mouse skills are getting better, but it's still very foreign to me.
Last edited by thatlaurachick on 03 Apr 2014, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 03 Apr 2014, 10:59

Mouse and keyboard at the start really sucks. It's rubbing your belly and patting your head at the same time! But you eventually get used to it. Maybe try running around cities and villages and doing a lot of turns to get the flow of it? Even changing the sensitivity to something more intuitive to you can help immensely! Too sensitive and it can really throw you off, not sensitive enough and the exaggerated movements to turn a little can get irritating.

Being a huge Elder Scrolls fan, I'm quite wary about how it'd really be. A large part of it for me is having what I do matter. I don't even like assistant NPCs in Skyrim!

The "hardcore" players will breeze through the game in a month and stay on the forum for a year screaming the game's dying. Bethesda should stick with their own vision and keep the beginner's content easy and work their way up to dungeons that cater to the players who want a challenge.

I hope the sub gets removed from the game one day because I reckon I'd enjoy it. One thing Bethesda does right is mages! I just refuse on principle to pay for a game twice and rent a game every month.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
thatlaurachick

Postby thatlaurachick » 03 Apr 2014, 11:38

Darkobra wrote:
Being a huge Elder Scrolls fan, I'm quite wary about how it'd really be. A large part of it for me is having what I do matter. I don't even like assistant NPCs in Skyrim!

You will LOVE ESO. Once you complete a quest, it's DONE. The world changes and never goes back. Example: I was accompanying Arius to finish a quest, one that I'd already finished earlier. His world is still full of enemies, and mine isn't. As soon as we enter the quest area, I'm shuffled to another channel so my world stays cleared and his stays quest ready. What you do in ESO _does_ matter, and your world is permanently affected. I've even come back from a time-travel quest and changed the gender of an entire group.

As far as being on your own - the PvE is designed such that you can do it all alone if you wish. Be warned, it's gonna be a tough fight for a single player. If you want the challenge, go for it. When fighting in a group, everyone has to fight. Run by a group of enemies? They might not trigger at the players in front, but will for rearguard. Boss' attention cannot be held 100% by the tank, the healer will have to defend and/or attack. The game makes everyone fight, by design.

Overall, I think the game is well designed. I definitely think the balance was better in beta, but that's subject to change. It's annoying that your whole group needs to be at the same point in your quests if you want to PvE, but OTOH, it's really awesome that when you've cleared an area, it's cleared forever.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 03 Apr 2014, 11:40

That does actually sound pretty awesome! But if I had someone to play with like you and Arius, would also be a little on the frustrating side.

Man if this wasn't a sub game, I'd be all over it!
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 03 Apr 2014, 14:15

I'm hoping that the inevitable "THIS MMO SUCKS" crying from the minority won't damage this game.

I feel like that happened with Guild Wars 2. Yes, it lacks interesting end game PvE content, but the PvP stuff is still engaging. Shame the internet is land of Polarised Opinion and not "Brain Engaged Opinion".

I heard that there were some funny bugs. Like, if you were playing, everyone would get DC'd. When they'd log back in, they'd be in someone else's account. How does that bug even happen?
tanatoes
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby tanatoes » 03 Apr 2014, 18:14

My experience in the game thus far has been uneven. There seem to be a few quests that require quest items to drop that are unplayable when there are too many players doing them at the same time. When you have like 20 to 30 people all waiting for the same thing - well it doesn't work out too well.

On the other hand when it's not so crowded it can be pretty cool. I'm going to give it a couple weeks to calm down and let the devs kill some of the bugs before I go back.
-------
Why can't Wii be friends? 0639 9148 4145 6376
thatlaurachick

Postby thatlaurachick » 03 Apr 2014, 19:42

@Merrymaker_mortalis I've not heard of that bug so no idea. I think the dev team wanted to demonstrate listening to feedback during beta, but I don't think they'll be making major changes again.

@tanatoes yeah, that's annoying. I manage to play a lot during the day so I have the opposite problem: try finishing a quest when you're the only player in an area with enough monsters for 20 people.
Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 04 Apr 2014, 12:01

I'm having a pretty good time so far. It's my first proper MMO too (Runescape doesn't really count, does it?), so there's been a little adjustment. But basically it just feels like an Elder Scrolls game with slightly more padding and lag, which I can live with.

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
Kyran
First Video: Who watches movies?

Postby Kyran » 06 Apr 2014, 13:34

There are definitely a copious amount of people that play TESO that are complete newbs to modern MMOs. It's annoying at times. I respec'd to tank, just because I've yet to meet anyone that knows basic pulling techniques, etc.

Though like Omega Lairon said, it is most definitely still an Elder Scrolls game. Just has some minor MMORPG trimmings.

Also, running a guild. Mostly Canadians. (Lots of Albertans.) We're DC.
So, if you want to join Error Three Eighteen, toss me a mail. @kyran00
You can join up to five player guilds. What's the worst that could happen?
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 06 Apr 2014, 23:59

I think one issue with TESO is that the game attracts TES players who may be unaware of MMO play. Which means they'll play TESO as an TES that happens to have humans sharing the same existance as them.
So you have to accept that, and have the patience to teach/repeatidly scream at them.
tanatoes
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby tanatoes » 07 Apr 2014, 13:40

I've put some more time in and gotten my orkish fighter up to level 10, and I still can't decide how I feel about this game. As an Elder Scrolls game it's really strange having all these other people wandering around the world playing at the same time you are. I went in one dungeon yesterday and had an ancient ghost tell me that nobody had been there in centuries - and there were six or seven other adventurers in the room with me. The game keeps telling you how significant and unique you are, and there are all these other people constantly doing the same quests you are at the same time. Very strange.

I've only participated in one brief group (to kill a boss who I couldn't take down by myself) so I can't form an opinion on the multi-player aspect really. I don't much enjoy playing with random strangers so I'm hoping at some point I can form or join a guild and just quest through the game with a small cadre. I kind of wish that the game would clearly delineate areas intended for multi-player play so I'd know to avoid them unless I am in a group (the way SWTOR will tell you when you've entered a "Heroic" area.)

I think I'll keep grinding in single player mode for now - it kind of makes me wish I could play it as a "private" game like Diablo III and only have other people cluttering my world when I choose to.
-------
Why can't Wii be friends? 0639 9148 4145 6376
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 08 Apr 2014, 04:45

I can sort of begin to understand why Roleplayers in MMOs pretend that the in-game storyline doesn't happen. Because if you're trying to Roleplay and you are including in-game narrative as canon narrative for your character, having a ghost telling you no one has visited in years, with 58383 night elves jumping around... does take you out of your experience.

Shame, because a viable first-person MMO could be an amazing RP environment.

I guess you'll have to pretend that as a Farm Hand, you are 100% definitely not at all destined to kill Magorgadaedradude.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 08 Apr 2014, 05:40

That is why i really liked the Star Wars TOR MMO, because when you did the story quest some of it was in areas where you could only see yourself and crew, so it did feel like you was as important as the story was telling you that you was
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
thatlaurachick

Postby thatlaurachick » 08 Apr 2014, 14:30

Kyran wrote:You can join up to five player guilds. What's the worst that could happen?

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I think one issue with TESO is that the game attracts TES players who may be unaware of MMO play. Which means they'll play TESO as an TES that happens to have humans sharing the same existance as them.
So you have to accept that, and have the patience to teach/repeatidly scream at them.

Thanks for the offer, Kyran. I am already part of a guild that shares my interests in playing TESO as an RPG. We group when necessary, but it's not expected. I'm paying $15/mo to have fun. ;)

Return to “Video Games”