Diablo 3

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Diablo 3

Postby Darkobra » 02 May 2014, 12:41

Today I got Diablo 3 and Reaper of Souls. So far I am LOVING it. Did a few quests in Act 1 as a Wizard.

I love instantly going back into Tristram and the story getting rolled out right away. You don't get to guinea pig on bandits, you don't have your own affairs, you're right into the action. I'm of two minds of the skills and how they're handled. I liked being able to try different things and trees in Diablo 2 but this game seems to give you ALL your skills eventually. Now I like that! It means the experimentation is more open. But it also means that there's nothing really unique or special about your set of skills.

There's an Adventure mode too that people are praising to hell. (Ha.) It adds special gates and bounty hunts. Now I've not had the opportunity to even test this as I need to beat the game to unlock it but it DOES sound interesting.

I waited a long time for this game. I said that the real money auction house would die or the game would die for it. Now that it's gone and you now have the new Loot 2.0 system and a lot more polish put into the game, now's the time to get back into it if those things put you off.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Re: Diablo 3

Postby Master Gunner » 02 May 2014, 13:00

I recently started playing Diablo III again to see if it really had improved since launch. Turns out it has, a lot. However I don't think I'm quite ready to commit to Reaper of Souls - maybe in a year if it comes down in price a bit.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 02 May 2014, 14:15

Darkobra wrote:I'm of two minds of the skills and how they're handled. I liked being able to try different things and trees in Diablo 2 but this game seems to give you ALL your skills eventually. Now I like that! It means the experimentation is more open. But it also means that there's nothing really unique or special about your set of skills.

You'll eventually come across stats on gear such as +% Holy Damage or +% Arcane Orb Damage.

These stats will mean a lot end-game. These stats will help define your skillset.

There's even legendaries with game-changing affects. Such as, for the Crusader, there's a Legendary Shield that lets their Blessed Shield ability have 0 resource cost.
-
Diablo 3 may have removed the talent tree thingy. But you still have character building (through gear). Although when you get a game-changing Legendary, you are sort of restricted in how you want to play until you get a different one or get a piece of equipment whose increase in stats justify losing the affect. I mean, if you looted that shield on your Crusader, you'd be losing out on a lot of damage by not going a build that revolves around the ability it changes.

I adore Diablo 3. However I don't play much of it right now. Because I enjoy exploration and discovery, and there isn't much for me to explore and discover right now... until someone invents a viable crazy build for a character which I really must try out. I'm at max level on all characters, so I am doing the "loot hunt" meta.

It's nice that useable loot does drop. Instead of finding crap to peddle on the AH so I can save up for a Yellow item with slightly better stats than my current.

If this will help you decide about getting Reaper of Souls; you get:
Access to play the Crusader class.

Level cap to 70 with a new ability and its runes. This new ability is core for some classes or useful for others. The Wizard one is practically core for all potential builds. The WitchDoctor one is nice. The others are CDs to consider using.

Access to the Transmog NPC. Nice if you like customising your appearance.

Access to the Re-Enchanting NPC (same as the transmog one). Choose one stat on a piece of equipment and see if you can re roll it into something more desirable.You are given two new options or to keep the old enchant. Price increases with each reroll. Helps give you control on how your gear progresses.

Act V. It's story yo.

If you complete Act V you unlock Bounties and Nephalem Rifts.

Bounties are 5 random quests in an Act (you choose any act to do this in. Two acts a day gives an extra bonus for completing the quests). Complete all 5, get a loot bag with goodies in. Loot bag may contain a unique Legendary only found in loot bags in that particular Act.

Nephalem rifts is basically a Dungeon with random number of levels, with the levels being random (based of previous maps) where you must kill a number of enemies before the final boss spawns near where you are. Kill the boss and the Rift is complete. You can stay in the rift to kill Elite Packs if you want, or you can leave and close it for a bonus exp and gold.

Bounties and Rifts offer an alternative to farming the Story Mode. Helps give some diversity to the farm.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 02 May 2014, 15:16

I'm definitely going to max all my characters in terms of level and do some fun stuff. But the minute it stops becoming fun and just becomes "Do this level 6 times for a new helm", I'm out.

I adore the Diablo story and its world. I love exploring. I've never been one of these people that did Mephisto runs for loot. I made a new character, played a new tree and beat the game all over again.

This is definitely a game I'll be playing solo. The maps are so large that it's easy to split up and end up being too far to benefit from the kills. And I can't really take it at my own pace with others. That and with how quickly my wizard is killing EVERYTHING with her AoE, I can assume that others wouldn't have much fun playing with me either.

They say that Diablo 3 is a multiplayer game but I can't see how.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
CSt
First Video: cHustle: Arms Race

Postby CSt » 03 May 2014, 01:54

Darkobra wrote:I'm definitely going to max all my characters in terms of level and do some fun stuff. But the minute it stops becoming fun and just becomes "Do this level 6 times for a new helm", I'm out.

You should not make this kind of comment beforehand. I played Diablo 3 when it was released and maxed out a Demon Hunter. That took about 100 hours game time and three (or four?) playthroughs of the difficulties. The second character - a Monk - took only about 80 hours, but if you love exploring this might take you even longer.
I have a friend who never played Diablo before and who was really angry that he finished the game on Normal, was lvl 32 and "did not get to see the whole game" (Took him about 40 hours).
One thing I really like about Diablo 3 is, how old fashioned it is in some respects.
Darkobra

Postby Darkobra » 03 May 2014, 03:33

Then at least I know I'll be getting at least 600 hours out of the game! I did it in Diablo 2 and it was a lot of fun, especially when friends decided to jump in with me. Which has happened here! My Wizard is now stuck at level 11 because I now have to wait on a friend to catch up who HAD to play with me!

Might try Crusader in the mean time.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 03 May 2014, 03:50

Levelling 1-60 doesn't take that long. A few evenings perhaps. It depends how much of your time you spend effectively acquiring exp and how much you spend aiming for other aims (like exploration or general dicking).
Levelling 60-70 will take about 7 hours maybe.

They changed Diablo 3 so that you don't have to complete the story before unlocking the next difficulty. Which means you can play harder modes immediately if you wish (Torment is unlocked when you get to level 60 on any character though). Mobs scale to your level, which means you can explore and dick around if you want and not end up over levelled and getting inadequate rewards for killing things (the old version meant you may spring through the campaign if you ended up too high level).

Basically all builds for all classes have AoE aspects to them Darkobra, so I wouldn't worry about pissing off people through being an AoE damage dealer.
Multiplayer is a nice distraction because it feels different from playing by yourself. It's good if you're doing content you've experience before and aren't too fusses about skimming past things for the sake of efficiency.

Do bear in mind if you do play Multiplayer, you maybe grouped with players who aren't quite ready for the difficulty they've chosen. Or maybe you haven't realised that your character doesn't have enough "Toughness" for the difficulty you've chosen.

To me, Diablo 3 is like a single player game where I can chat to people in my clan or mates on Battlenet. I prefer Solo play because I get to set my own pace. If I farmed the story mode I would probably play multiplayer because queueing to do any act at any point with any people is kinda fun. I prefer Rifts because it's like running a randomly generate gauntlet and getting OP Pylon buffs (like Shrines but more hardcore).
-
I'm personally playing a Crusader as my main and Wizard as my second. I don't play my Crusader much now because he's reached the point where he has such good gear, that the chances of getting an upgrade is remote. I've already destroyed all my mates with my DPS and Toughness values, so I have no reason to farm for the Unobtainium Trousers of Epeen.
Once my Wizard gets two pieces, he'll be in the same vein, and then I'll have to choose another class to work with.

Return to “Video Games”