Remember the Game but not the Name

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Remember the Game but not the Name

Postby Elomin Sha » 30 Jun 2014, 13:56

Maybe a thread to help people find games they cannot remember the name but remember playing.

There is one game for the life of me I cannot remember the name of and hope someone else may know it. Not sure if it was more played in Britain or not. Last time I played this was 9.

Info:

Educational/Puzzle game where you have to find gems/crystals.

You're in the amazon to stop loggers (?) first puzzle is getting into a pyramid. You go on an adventure into the rain forest. You navigate on a boat top-down. You have to fix a bridge knowing angles and the distance rope has to go. The end of the game you use a machine to make your own crystals.
I'm think it was on Windows 3.1.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Re: Remember the Game but not the Name

Postby auberginequeen » 30 Jun 2014, 18:14

I know you posted this probably intending for someone who played the game to recognize it and go "Oh, it's x."

Instead I spent half an hour looking it up because darn it, I can't resist a challenge like that. :P I had fun though, no worries.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure you're talking about The Crystal Rain Forest. Here's a page detailing as much about the game as I could find.

For example, this looks like the bridge-angle thing you mentioned:

Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 01 Jul 2014, 11:15

Yep that's it. Never knew they updated it. Back in my day it was all pixellated and stuff. Thanks, I spent over an hour trying to find it. Just had a look but can't find Version 1. Only Version 2 seems to exist.

If anyone else has games they're looking for we'll find it.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 01 Jul 2014, 12:36

There is one game that I played once when I was little. Wasn't even on my computer (we didn't have one) instead it was on my uncle's laptop.

It was a pirate game with the usual sail-around-attack-forts etc similar to Sid Meier's Pirates, only there are a few differences - the map was styled like a paper map that had been unrolled on the table with compass points and wind directions etc. And combat was performed via dice rolls and you could see the rolls on the screen.

It ran in a window on Windows 3.1 I believe.

Not much to go on but it occasionally nags at me.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 01 Jul 2014, 12:42

Is it Pirates of the Barbary coast?

Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
DirgeNovak
First Video: Daily Drop

Postby DirgeNovak » 01 Aug 2014, 14:25

I doubt I'll get an answer since my memory of this game is the sketchiest (it was over twenty years ago and my NES barely worked), but I'll try. It's a NES game in which you play as a dude with a sword and the first level was in front of a purple cliff.

That's all remember. Go nuts. :P
Mums
First Video: Checkpoint "Socially inept"

Postby Mums » 02 Aug 2014, 13:13

I'll throw in a game I've been thinking about for a long time. Last time I played it I was about 8, so 1998. It was a PC game, a top-down racing game. From what I remember there were quite a lot of different cars, So I will name the cars I do remember. There was a truck, a police car, an ambulance (I think) and a monster truck. You could do speed boosts which made the cars do different sounds (police car turned sirens on). I remember one track was on a bridge and one I think were in a mounty/deserty place. That's all I can remember for now.

Except that I played that game when I first started listening to The Beastie Boys so I connect the game with Sabotage and Intergalactic, though I don't think that will help anyone.
Sit down. Get ready. Sit down again!

The perfectly lying, lying bastad!
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 02 Aug 2014, 14:51

Were there pedestrians, and if so were they programmed to always jump out of the way if you tried to run them over?
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
ch3m1kal
First Video: Unskippable

Postby ch3m1kal » 02 Aug 2014, 15:12

Mums wrote:I'll throw in a game I've been thinking about for a long time. Last time I played it I was about 8, so 1998. It was a PC game, a top-down racing game. From what I remember there were quite a lot of different cars, So I will name the cars I do remember. There was a truck, a police car, an ambulance (I think) and a monster truck. You could do speed boosts which made the cars do different sounds (police car turned sirens on). I remember one track was on a bridge and one I think were in a mounty/deserty place. That's all I can remember for now.

Except that I played that game when I first started listening to The Beastie Boys so I connect the game with Sabotage and Intergalactic, though I don't think that will help anyone.

I'm guessing it was Ignition.

Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 02 Aug 2014, 15:43

DirgeNovak wrote:I doubt I'll get an answer since my memory of this game is the sketchiest (it was over twenty years ago and my NES barely worked), but I'll try. It's a NES game in which you play as a dude with a sword and the first level was in front of a purple cliff.

Doesn't ring any bells... do remember what the perspective was? (Top down or side scrolling, I'd assume?)
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Mums

Postby Mums » 02 Aug 2014, 16:44

ch3m1kal wrote:
Mums wrote:I'll throw in a game I've been thinking about for a long time. Last time I played it I was about 8, so 1998. It was a PC game, a top-down racing game. From what I remember there were quite a lot of different cars, So I will name the cars I do remember. There was a truck, a police car, an ambulance (I think) and a monster truck. You could do speed boosts which made the cars do different sounds (police car turned sirens on). I remember one track was on a bridge and one I think were in a mounty/deserty place. That's all I can remember for now.

I'm guessing it was Ignition.

<3!!!

Wow, that game had way better graphics in my head!
When I wrote the post I was thinking that the game had quite awesome graphics for 1998...

Thank you Ch3m1kal!!

edit: Oh god, the memories!!!

Mums

Postby Mums » 03 Aug 2014, 04:06

If this is the wrong thread for this just scream at me. I didn't know where to put it and it felt natural. I found this http://www.bestoldgames.net/eng/old-games/ignition.phpfor the game ch3m1kal found for me, but I'm so bad with computors that I have no idea how to get it to work if it's possible to get it to work. I know you guys are awesome and maybe could figure out how to get it to work.

Mums

Postby Mums » 03 Aug 2014, 04:27

DirgeNovak wrote:I doubt I'll get an answer since my memory of this game is the sketchiest (it was over twenty years ago and my NES barely worked), but I'll try. It's a NES game in which you play as a dude with a sword and the first level was in front of a purple cliff.

Rygar?
No sword but purple cliff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCkTZoDbnTw

ch3m1kal

Postby ch3m1kal » 03 Aug 2014, 10:44

Mums wrote:If this is the wrong thread for this just scream at me. I didn't know where to put it and it felt natural. I found this http://www.bestoldgames.net/eng/old-games/ignition.phpfor the game ch3m1kal found for me, but I'm so bad with computors that I have no idea how to get it to work if it's possible to get it to work. I know you guys are awesome and maybe could figure out how to get it to work.

Alright, I messed around with it for a bit. That version is missing the 3Dfx files and I could only get it to run with DOSbox and with some issues.

However Abandonia has a version with full 3Dfx support so go get that one from here:
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/107/Ignition.htm

Then install Nglide which adds emulated Glide support (works with any of the old Glide enabled games). Oh 3Dfx, how I miss thee:
http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide

Then just run IGN_3DFX.EXE and you should be good to go. It seems to even support controllers though I only tried it with keyboard.
Mums

Postby Mums » 03 Aug 2014, 14:52

Thank you!!! Thank you!!!

I've been looking for this game for ages, a friend was going to make a copy of the game to a floppy disk and broke the game. I've been thinking about this game a few times a year since then! Thank you so much!

Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 04 Aug 2014, 04:22

There was a game from like the early 1990s, and I believe it was a kind of point and click adventure, where you played a mage (I think) of some kind, and I mostly remember there being a part in the game where you had to do a transformation battle against another mage; tricking him into turning himself into a worm that you could then capture.
There were also 2 brothers(?) in the game who looked like Einstein.

Now its been like 20 years since I saw the game so my memory can be very unreliable on this matter
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 04 Aug 2014, 06:47

Kings Quest 5 had a transformation battle at the end. Don't know if that's what you're thinking of.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 04 Aug 2014, 06:48

No, it was much older then that
ch3m1kal

Postby ch3m1kal » 04 Aug 2014, 07:36

Hmm I don't remember the bits of gameplay you describe, but...
Simon the Sorcerer maybe?

Or maybe something from the Legend of Kyrandia series?
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 04 Aug 2014, 08:49

No older then that
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 05 Aug 2014, 08:23

Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
DirgeNovak

Postby DirgeNovak » 08 Aug 2014, 21:30

Jamfalcon wrote:

Doesn't ring any bells... do remember what the perspective was? (Top down or side scrolling, I'd assume?)

It was a side scroller.
Mums wrote:

Rygar?
No sword but purple cliff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCkTZoDbnTw

That's not it. The cliff took up the entire screen, it wasn't far in the background. And it was about this shade of purple... I think.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 11 Aug 2014, 11:32

DirgeNovak

Postby DirgeNovak » 15 Aug 2014, 13:55

Oh my fucking god. That's the one.
Gonna go play it now.

Return to “Video Games”