Retro Games Collections?

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
abyssalCompiler
First Video: Doctors Hate Her

Retro Games Collections?

Postby abyssalCompiler » 30 May 2016, 17:00

Wasn't sure whether this should go into the Video Games General Chat Thread or be posted as a separate thread, but I'm cautiously posting it as separate.

I was wondering if you guys have any older/"retro" game consoles/games/etc still lying around, and if so what kinds? What is your favorite older system?

As for myself, I currently own a Genesis, an NES, and a Game Boy Color. I don't own a lot of games for the Genesis or the NES, though, since whenever I do have some money to spend on an older game, I usually go for Game Boy games as that's my favorite older console.*

*Also, it's less hassle playing import games because there is no form of region locking on the Game Boy.
~Shameless plug for my art/creative works blog~
http://abyssalcompiler.tumblr.com/

My twitter: https://twitter.com/abyssalcompiler
Aeralis
First Video: enn: Nerd Flu

Re: Retro Games Collections?

Postby Aeralis » 05 Jun 2016, 09:32

My only systems I've lost over the years have been my Genesis (intentionally left behind as I moved cross country because it was failing anyway), my Game Gear (given away because I hated the thing), and my Gameboy Color (I legit don't know what happened to that thing).

I have my NES, SNES, N64, PS2, and even an old VCR hooked up to an old CRT TV. The TV is pretty crappy, and doesn't even have stereo sound, but I have to use it or else I'll never be able to play my Super Scope games again. (Relatedly, the only reason I have that VCR is so I can watch the completely unedited original Star Wars trilogy.)
TStodden
First Video: Checkpoint #067: Final Fantasy Apology
Location: Siouxland Empire, USA, Earth, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby TStodden » 05 Jun 2016, 23:16

The majority of my "Vintage & Retro" collection is at my parents. The SNES, N64, Gamecube & Wii (as I have a Wii U) are resting there. My portable collection (GBY, GBC, GBA & DS) are with me on top of the New 3DS XL... but without the GBY (as that wore out). Brother's collection is a PS 1 (currently in storage at my parents) & a PS2 (still connected, but mostly collecting dust)

The only systems have I've lost over the years are Atari 2600, NES & VBY.

The NES is the only one that I know what happened. My system finally died after 20+ years of use & abuse. The games were passed on to the extended family. The Atari 2600 was originally parents & mysteriously disappeared. The VBY was something I actually owned, but disappeared something around when I left for college... which probably wasn't such a bad thing (being the only Nintendo console that was a major failure).

I don't play the physical systems as much due to emulation being readily available (making it easier to access & take less space), but will play them occasionally (when I visit my parents) for the nostalgia
~TStodden
(Going Text based as Photobucket is being a jerk)
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 06 Jun 2016, 08:03

My console systems (3 Atari 2600s, a NES, a Game Boy, a Game Boy Pocket, and a Game Boy Color) all burned up in a house fire, sadly. :-(
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

semysane
First Video: Unskippable: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby semysane » 07 Jun 2016, 00:20

Let's see, my whole collection of systems is relatively extensive.

I'll start with consoles; NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, Genesis, Dreamcast, PSX, PS2, PS3, Xbox, 360, Xbone.

Handhelds: Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advance, DS, 2DS, Game Gear, 2 different models of PSP.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 30 Jul 2016, 11:39

Physical Units:
Nintendo NES
Nintendo Game Cube
SEGA Master System
SEGA Game Gear
Nintendo 3DS XL
Nintendo Wii
Nintendo Wii U
Nintendo Game Boy Colour
Nintendo 64
SEGA Saturn
SEGA Mega Drive
SEGA Mega CD
SONY PSP
XBOX ONE
XBOX 360
XBOX
SONY PlayStation
SONY PlayStation 2
SONY PlayStation 3
SONY PlayStation 4

N64 was possibly my favourite because of the amount of the time I played WWF No Mercy, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask
Close 2nd is PS One for Final Fantasy and MGS

Non Physical Emulated Units: 30+ (PC and Consoles)
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 30 Jul 2016, 12:03

I've never had much luck with consoles. All of my old systems started failing after about five years: my Genesis, my PS1, my PS2, my Xbox, the TRS-80 I inherited from my dad (complete with tape drive!). The only system I've had for any length of time is my trusty XBox 360, still going strong after nine years.

These days, I get my retro gaming fix courtesy of the Internet Archive.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Postby SAJewers » 31 Jul 2016, 03:22

I have a SNES (with Super Game Boy), region-modded PC Engine Duo, Wii, and an original DS. Had an original GBA, but sold it once I got the DS.
NebulosDisconcertion
First Video: Pony Time

Postby NebulosDisconcertion » 31 Aug 2016, 09:18

NES x2 (I don't know how that happened, got them during my second PS2)
OG GB: Quite a few dead pixel columns on the sides of the screen
SNES
Genesis
N64: Acquired this shortly after it became obsolete, hoping games would be cheap. I couldn't find any.
PSX: I remember hearing that these make phenomenal CD players (from an audio quality perspective), so that's what I plan to do with it. This specific unit has been passed around my circle of friends since it was new, so it's stuck in my material-sentimentality/hoarder tendancies. I wouldn't use it for games, because I never really played any playstation games and the graphics are super hideous from a modern perspective. N64's are almost as bad, but I played that back in the day and have nostalgia goggles to help.
PS2 x3: One works, the other two are bookends. Did you know the columns on the console menu represent the number of different games you've played and how long? I wonder if there's a way to transfer that data, the functional one looks very desolate compared to what I'm used to.
X36: Only number two, surprisingly. The first one made it 90% of the way through GTAV before RROD.

Only the PS2 and XBX are connected at the moment, I'm thinking of picking up an Ouya to use as an emulator box for convenience. My theory was that they would become the new Dreamcast (failed console with large hacking community afterlife), but that doesn't seem to be happening.(?)

Return to “Video Games”