Computer buying advice time (again, maybe)

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Computer buying advice time (again, maybe)

Postby Dutch guy » 30 Jun 2016, 15:16

So, after over a year I've finally dug out my old desktop again and it's still as crap as ever. After reseating the videocard and memory it's now atleast running stable again, but it's certainly showing it's age (AMD Atlon 64, single core CPU, that should tell you enough :wink: )

I've made a preliminary list based on what I picked last time I did this of what I'd LIKE to get but I might have to drop a notch here and there as I currently don't really have the budget. Was wondering if someone with some insight in today's tech could have a look and maybe give me some tips. (Also, is it just me or have computer components gotten way more expensive over the last year and a half)

Case - Corsair Midi Tower Obsidian 550D ATX
    MoBo - Asus ATX Motherboard B150-Pro Gaming
    CPU - Intel Skylake Core i7 6700K 4.00GHz 8MB Tray
    GPU - 2x MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4GB in Crossfire
    PSU - Corsair RM750x 750W, Modular
    SSD - 850 EVO 2.5", 250GB
    HDD - Western Digital Harddisk 3.5" Black WD1003FZEX 1TB
    Memory - Kingston 2x8GB, DDR4, 2133MHz, CL13, HyperX Savage
    Cooler - be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 AMD & Intel
    Optical - Asus Blu-Ray Combo-Drive BC-12D2HT 16x Bulk
    Fan controller -Scythe Kaze Master Flat II
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Re: Computer buying advice time (again, maybe)

Postby SAJewers » 30 Jun 2016, 17:01

As someone also looking to get a new computer soon, I'd replace the R9 380s for RX 480s, unless those 380s end up vastly cheaper, or the 480s end up selling put.
TStodden
First Video: Checkpoint #067: Final Fantasy Apology
Location: Siouxland Empire, USA, Earth, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby TStodden » 30 Jun 2016, 20:08

I have to concur w/ going for the Radeon RX 480 being a great budget option that's comparable the NVidia GTX 960. This is assuming you can find it.

For HDD, 1 TB is fine... but I prefer at least 2 TB for storage (excluding your boot drive) if you can afford it. I'm just a digital packrat with games (wanting to keep as many games stored locally instead of waiting to download & install).
~TStodden
(Going Text based as Photobucket is being a jerk)
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 01 Jul 2016, 01:12

The 480s are pretty much only available in 8GB versions which are about 50 to 60 euros more expensive. I was thinking about dropping one GPU card and spending a bit extra to buy new monitors instead. In that case it might be worth it to go with a single RX480 instead of a single R9 380. I had the NVidia GTX960 as an alternative but have so far always had ATI/AMD GPUs and vastly dislike the way NVidia conducts its business. I would also avoid Intel CPU's and go for AMD but they are from what I can tell simply the better choice at this time. Unless someone can give me some better info on how the current crop of AMD CPUs is performing (Almost all info out there seems to fall into the "rabid fanboi" category and is thus not really good info)

As for storage, so far I've had plenty from 1 TB. If I do need more I'd prefer to have another physical drive, so I'd just install another one at that point. The case has plenty of room for it.
unpronounceable
First Video: A Stitch in Time

Postby unpronounceable » 04 Jul 2016, 14:27

Depending on what you want to do, I'd recommend against the i7. The difference between it and an i5 is primarily hyperthreading, which is like adding pseudo cores. For games, most don't make use of all 8, so for the most part, it's wasted performance. I also don't believe in "future proofing", as cpus from the same generation seem to fall into obsolescence at the same time.

If you are interested in overclocking, you will need a z170 series motherboard. Overclocking isn't enables on B150, H170, or H110 boards. If you aren't interested in overclocking, you can get a non-k CPU, and skip the aftermarket heatsink.

I'm not sure where you're buying from, but if it supports stores in your country, PCPartPicker is a really useful website for comparison shopping.
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 05 Jul 2016, 10:36

Gaming, CAD work and some light video editing. (That last one was why I went for the i7) Looking at it now you might be right and I'd replace it in the list with the i5-6600K

I might change the motherboard for a Z170 anyway, the B150 only supports the slowest DDR4, and the ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming is not that much more expensive (+€25) but gives me more USB ports, a better chipset, supports all DDR4 speeds and has an M.2 header (for future proofing, won't be using it straight away) I'd then also change the memory for a slightly faster version.

I probably won't be doing over-clocking but there is no way I'm going to keep the box cooler. Those things are noisy as hell and very inefficient in my experience. I'd prefer to spend a few euros to get something a little quieter that keeps my core a little cooler. Given the rest of the list the 40 or so euros for a cooler doesn't break the bank. I picked the K processor because in my experience dropping a K into an ASUS gaming motherboard automatically gives a performance boost that would not be available with a standard processor. (At least it worked that way when I bought last bought a system for/with someone else 6 years back)

The whole thing here is that on the one hand I don't want to spend too much money. On the other hand I'm thinking: "If I'm going to be buying a new PC I want it to be a reasonably high end machine in a good case with good quality components. I COULD save about 100 euros on the case alone. But then I'd have one of those stamped sheet steel dustbins with sharp corners that are a pain to work in/on (figuratively and literally). I'd rather spend the money and get me a good case with a good PSU (Same thing goes there. I could get a PSU for less than half the price, but picked a high end modular one instead)

So that would make the new shopping list:
    Case - Corsair Midi Tower Obsidian 550D ATX
    MoBo - ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING
    CPU - Intel Core i5-6600K
    GPU - Sapphire Radeon RX480 8G
    PSU - Corsair RM Series RM750x
    SSD - Samsung 850 EVO Series 250 GB
    HDD - WD Black WD1003FZEX
    Cooler - Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 2
    Mem - Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 8 GB - DDR4 - 3200 MHz / PC4-25600 - CL16
    Optical - ASUS BC 12D2HT
    Fan cntrlr - Scythe Kaze Master Flat II
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 07 Jul 2016, 07:06

Dutch guy wrote:I probably won't be doing over-clocking but there is no way I'm going to keep the box cooler. Those things are noisy as hell and very inefficient in my experience.

Good attitude to have. The stock cooler that came with my CPU only barely kept it under 70°c, but since I switched to an aftermarket one, it hasn't gone above 45°c. Also the aftermarket one is nearly silent.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
unpronounceable
First Video: A Stitch in Time

Postby unpronounceable » 07 Jul 2016, 20:22

Robo4900 wrote:Good attitude to have. The stock cooler that came with my CPU only barely kept it under 70°c, but since I switched to an aftermarket one, it hasn't gone above 45°c. Also the aftermarket one is nearly silent.

Just curious, what CPU did/do you have? On my last CPU, a 2500k, I had to use the stock cooler for a while when my aftermarket CPU fan broke, and I didn't notice any noise because my GPU fan was louder.
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 09 Jul 2016, 10:35

It's an AMD FX-6300 6-core.
I have heard that some stock coolers can be good(Though a little loud), but in my case, I was very unlucky.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Return to “Video Games”