Xbox live adminstration - Homophobes?

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Red Charlie

Xbox live adminstration - Homophobes?

Postby Red Charlie » 25 Feb 2009, 15:49

http://consumerist.com/5160187/identify ... -xbox-live

Interesting policy there.

"Oh your sexual orientation is offensive, sorry, because its a WORD."

It reminds me of V is for Vendetta abit as well with all the chasing of people. I find it funny the Human Rights have seemingly just dismissed this altogther..

What do you think? Possiblity of a law suit ensuing or just a disaffect Xbox Live customer?
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 25 Feb 2009, 16:12

Ok, I was just reading the wikipedia article on the stonewall riots, and now this comes up.

...I need to go sit down for a second.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Yukikaze

Postby Yukikaze » 25 Feb 2009, 16:13

Anybody who claims to be a lesbian is either male or looking for attention.

With some overlap.

I think the best way to solve this is to ban references to sexual orientation. What's it matter whether the person I'm trying to frag is straight, gay, bisexual, or pedophile?* They all splatter the same.

*or lolicon or shotacon or vore or furry or spanking or guro or ABDL or necrophiliac or BDSM or clothing or amputation/dismemberment or electric guitar or large boobs or fat or large penis or anorexia or spin cycle or pickles or interracial or small boobs or small penis or non-malignant pedophilia or aliens or tentacles or chopsticks or urine or poo or suicide or execution or cubbism or leather or beastiality or ...
Last edited by Yukikaze on 25 Feb 2009, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 25 Feb 2009, 16:14

Yukikaze wrote:Anybody who claims to be a lesbian is either male or looking for attention.

Wait what?
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 25 Feb 2009, 16:15

I dunno, it came across, to me, that they'd ban the word "gay" so people can't use it as a pejorative, and offend homosexuals.

Also, I'm not entirely sure why a person would want to identify their sexual orientation on XBL.... is it a new dating site?
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 25 Feb 2009, 16:22

Franly, I think Richard Gaywood has a way better case here, since that's his actual name.

Human rights don't play into this at all. It's Microsoft's service, and she agreed to terms of service limiting her rights when she used it. She can either abide by their rules, or not use the service, that's all there is to it.

Just like we limit your right to free speech on this board by moderating what topics are permissable and filtering certain words, this is a trade-off you make in using our boards.

Admittedly, I would have liked to have seen some action taken on the part of Microsoft to punish those gamertags that were harassing her, but that could only have been done if she'd reported them at the time anyhow.

I certainly don't see it as an issue that she was asked to remove her sexual orientation from her gamercard. Particularly considering the different gaming communities available on xbox live, and that she might have been playing in the recreational or family-friendly tiers that are oriented towards kids.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Hakaryu

Postby Hakaryu » 25 Feb 2009, 16:29

As a gay guy, i'm not about to hit XBL and spout my homoerotic fantasies while playing Gears of War. Its like most personal things, theres a time and place for it XBL isn't it.
Last edited by Hakaryu on 25 Feb 2009, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
Tonberry's poked the dutch again.
Nomadic
First Video: Serious Cravings

Postby Nomadic » 25 Feb 2009, 16:55

Though I don't agree with homosexuality, I have nothing against homosexual people. With that said, I don't care what your orientation is, so don't tell me! I mean honestly, people are so concerned about their right to say whatever they want about their race or their orientation or whatever. Why can't we as humanity figure out that freedom to speak doesn't mean it's a good idea to speak. Shut up, get off your soapbox and live your life. You being a lesbian or a gay does not make you special, requiring special privileges or special treatment; you're the same style of human being as everyone else. (Yes, I do realize there are governmental statements that disagree with that statement, but I'm talking from a societal perspective).

Don't get your sexual orientation in my Xbox Live and I won't get mine in yours. Simple as that. There is such a thing as TMI, world...and it doesn't just refer to what you find on 4chan.

// I'm not trying to flame anyone on the forums or anyone in particular.
// I'm just tired of people who think their "special" orientation gives
// them a soapbox to stand on and "fight for the right to be X Y and Z."
Successfully lurking since 1709.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 25 Feb 2009, 17:25

I got nothing against it. but its ignorant of HER not to expect something like this to happen.

No, it shouldnt happen. But yes, it infallibly. will. You can stand on our soapbox and be banned, or you can keep your camo on and play nice.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 25 Feb 2009, 19:36

I don't see what who that girl wants to screw has anything to do with playing video games.

The situation tho', reminds me of this vid from Waverly Films. Except with a different ending.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 25 Feb 2009, 19:51

seriously someone needs a kick in the balls....
first xbl moderators then all the kids on xbl
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 25 Feb 2009, 21:40

JesterJ. wrote:
Yukikaze wrote:Anybody who claims to be a lesbian is either male or looking for attention.

Wait what?

On the internet. Anyone who says that on the internet.
I'd agree with that, too.
Yukikaze

Postby Yukikaze » 25 Feb 2009, 22:19

Admittedly, there was one exception, except she was technically bisexual, didn't say it in public chat, and only said she was a lesbian in effort to help me not be attracted to her.

Needless to say, this didn't work. I don't know why she thought to try it.
Telaril

Postby Telaril » 25 Feb 2009, 22:20

Graham wrote:
JesterJ. wrote:

Wait what?

I'm gonna disagree. A lot of GLBT kids say the internet was the first place they didn't feel alone and felt free to say who they were. When you're the only out lesbian in a town of a few thousand, it's something of a relief to say it on the internet, where nobody can actually physically bash you because of it, and you might meet someone of like mind. There are a lot of reasons for it.

This... actually might be a big enough thing to make me pick a PS3 over a 360 when I eventually buy something to go with my Wii and PS2. I wonder if any guy's account is banned if he lists "girls" or "ladies" in his interests, or specifies that he has a girlfriend.

I think this girl has a right to be mad, a right to protest, a right to start a boycott if she can. Microsoft isn't obligated to change its policies at all, of course, no more than it's legally required for a country club to admit non-whites. But I think they're jerks, just as I think the owners of that country club are jerks.
Yukikaze

Postby Yukikaze » 25 Feb 2009, 22:31

Telaril wrote:I wonder if any guy's account is banned if he lists "girls" or "ladies" in his interest, or specifies that he has a girlfriend.

In keeping with my initial post in this thread, I would say warning first, ban if not heeded.(Same as I would say for an openly gay or bisexual person)

Which, by the way, would probably get me banned hard, because I really like girls.

As for my assertion that all internet-lesbians are either men or attention-whores...

Being openly female on the internet nets you a LOT of attention.(of which I have experienced both sides) Usually, it's of the "pervert says lewd things and thinks he's hitting on you" sort, which is why most people who claim to be women on the 'net are either male or looking for attention.

Not all, just most. Most ladies are honest if called out on it.

Claiming to be homosexual or bisexual will instantly net you attention from the opposite sex. Even the "lesbian" I mentioned earlier(who slept with a grand total of 2 guys and 0 girls in the time I maintained contact with her) had shemales and gay guys as her two primary turn-ons. I think there's just something about homosexuality in the opposite sex that does it for us. Probably the prospect of getting some extra action.

Most people realize that saying "I'm gay!" will get people to pay attention to you. Even an open lesbian should know that by saying she's lesbian, she's going to get swarms of guys descending on her. Basic common sense. This is why the "worst lesbian in the world," as I refer to the above example(Thanks, Morgan), didn't out herself left and right, and only outed herself to me in a private conversation.

I called another girl on it several months later, and she admitted "While I really am bisexual, you're right. I mostly just want the attention."
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 25 Feb 2009, 22:38

Graham wrote:
JesterJ. wrote:

Wait what?

OH. Oh. I see now. I can't read good.
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 25 Feb 2009, 22:57

Gaywood was the guy's last name. Its dumb they said he couldn't have his last name as his gamertag.

Having your sexuality in your profile seems unnecessary. Granted, she should have reported the people that were harassing her, she agreed to the terms and service which apparently stated that it wasn't appropriate. Straight people don't put that they are straight in their profiles (though if they did, it'd only be fair to remove it as well).

Anyway, QQ for the lesbian, and that sucks for Gaywood, but in the end, Microsoft is going to win because this is a petty, inconsequential thing they're fighting for.
I can't think of a signature.
Telaril

Postby Telaril » 25 Feb 2009, 23:01

Yuki, I totally believe that you've had that experience, and that a lot of guys have. And I find girls like that reaaaaally irritating. Doing the stuff you describe gets the real lesbians inundated with unwelcome attention, and perpetuates the misconception that all lesbians are just "waiting for a good man."

That said, I often point out my orientation and marital status, and I've met a couple guys via the internet. I'm fairly sure posting "Why can't I meet a guy like Dave Foley circa 1997?" in my profile won't get me banned, or even warned... but it clearly says a lot about my orientation (and taste). Maybe it's dumb to meet people over the internet, but in real life I'm kinda shy. The internet helps. I'm sure a lot of lesbians feel the same.

I have a female friend who often plays male characters and never speaks on vent 'cause she doesn't like getting harassed and mobbed. I play almost exclusively female characters and often let people know what my gender is. I'm not doing it for attention, I'm doing it 'cause it feels weird to be referred to as "he." You shouldn't have to live in fear of being yourself because it might get you some unwelcome attention... especially not on the internet. Heh.
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 26 Feb 2009, 00:03

So, no gays on xbox live?
What about R2D2? Do they serve droids there?

Discriminating based on sexuality is a precarious position for them, Matt, and I think it's pretty short sighted to say that they are "allowed" to do so since it's their service.

Can they remove anyone who is black, or who indicates they are black from their service?
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 26 Feb 2009, 00:13

Cybren wrote:Can they remove anyone who is black, or who indicates they are black from their service?

If it said they could in their ToS, the person signed the ToS, and they had the desire to, yes they could.

Yeah, Microsoft would lose a lot of customers, it would cause a shitstorm, but they still could if it said in their ToS that they could.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 26 Feb 2009, 02:19

To me it's the "Gaywood" thing that cinches it for me: I really think it's just the word "gay" that's banned, to prevent it from being used as a curse or as a discriminatory remark, rather than banning a person of that sexual orientation.
I can't imagine that they have the resources to look over every single profile that has the letters G-A-Y written to see in what context it's meant.

I'm not saying the people who harassed her and reported her for being a lesbian were right; I'm saying Microsoft did to her the exact same thing they do to other people that get reported, and did nothing wrong.

If she was being harassed then she should have reported them instead of putting up with it until it got to this point.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 26 Feb 2009, 02:22

I can completely understand why they would disallow using "gay"in your gamertag, but I'm not sure how disallowing "lesbian" or such in your profile is entirely effective. Then again I don't know what an Xbox Live profile looks like, so it could be I'm interpreting it differently.

Incidentally, there's actually a guy (Indeed, a family) with the name Gaywood? That's just asking for playground bullying up the wazoo.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Yukikaze

Postby Yukikaze » 26 Feb 2009, 08:15

Telaril wrote:I have a female friend who often plays male characters and never speaks on vent 'cause she doesn't like getting harassed and mobbed. I play almost exclusively female characters and often let people know what my gender is. I'm not doing it for attention, I'm doing it 'cause it feels weird to be referred to as "he." You shouldn't have to live in fear of being yourself because it might get you some unwelcome attention... especially not on the internet. Heh.

I usually play female characters in such games, though for an entirely different reason. :P
Cybren wrote:So, no gays on xbox live?
What about R2D2? Do they serve droids there?
Can they remove anyone who is black, or who indicates they are black from their service?

While I haven't seen the TOS, I suspect that botting is illegal, so no, they don't serve droids there.

Homosexuality isn't like the color of your skin or what sex you were born. You can choose to change your sexuality without resorting to surgery. In fact, it happens naturally several times during normal human development, and many people do so deliberately when they become tired or disgusted with one lifestyle or another(Which is why there's a certain stigma attached to being "Last opposite-sex partner of a now-homosexual person").

Ultimately, homosexuality is just a sexual fetish which is outside the social norm. Some single men are attracted to married women, some married men are attracted to women who are not their wife, and some men are attracted to other men. It's no different from, say, being an adulterer or a furry, it's just more controversial.

Which is why I listed so many fetishes in my first post in this thread.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 26 Feb 2009, 08:28

Yukikaze wrote:It's no different from, say, being an adulterer or a furry, it's just more controversial.
I think it's significantly more acceptable in society to be homosexual than a furry or an adulterer.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 26 Feb 2009, 08:48

Telaril wrote:
Graham wrote:
JesterJ. wrote:

Wait what?

This... actually might be a big enough thing to make me pick a PS3 over a 360 when I eventually buy something to go with my Wii and PS2. I wonder if any guy's account is banned if he lists "girls" or "ladies" in his interests, or specifies that he has a girlfriend.

If you think sony and nintendo wouldn't have done exactly the same thing, you're wrong.

-m

I am not angry at you.

Return to “Video Games”