Cash Cats

Talk about commodoreHUSTLE, LRR's continuing web series.
teambates
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Re: Cash Cats

Postby teambates » 18 Apr 2011, 21:57

Nirvana wrote:For the most part I enjoyed it. My only criticism would be that the video appeared to end out of absolutely nowhere. It seemed like we went from them filming cats, and suddenly:

"Did it work?
"Nope."
"Alright then."

Well, that could signal two things:

(1) that the joke of the whole video was essentially the "Bad Kathleen Ideas" thing that we first see with the WOW parody video

or

(2) since there was some conflict/tension established (they need money) that was not resolved, that story will continue into the next video, somewhat of a rarity since the season structure ended.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 18 Apr 2011, 22:34

I just thought it'd be funny for one our plans to just... fail.
There was no great payoff for all their effort, they just sucked at it.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 18 Apr 2011, 22:36

Tapir12 wrote:I thought this one was really well written. The pace was fast and the editing was sharp.
Thanks very much! :D
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 19 Apr 2011, 00:53

Public service announcement: do yourself a favour and don't read the comments on that break video. I mean wow.

DJScythe15 wrote:I'm also all for Team Matt shirts, as long as a rival team is somehow thought up. Team Kitties, maybe?

Team James seems the obvious choice. Though I'm not 100% sure they'd be rival teams.

WAYF wrote:Performance of the week goes to Matt. "no-one's ready..." :D

I would also like to add my vote to this proposition.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 19 Apr 2011, 02:23

I sympathise entirely with Matt, can't stand cats.

As usual, I was laughing all the way through this. CHustle's one of those things that is ALWAYS hilarious.
Zipa
First Video: 3 ps3s

Postby Zipa » 19 Apr 2011, 03:35

Another epic Chussle guys, the reaction of your landlord was epic
Gap Filler
First Video: The Job

Postby Gap Filler » 19 Apr 2011, 04:54

Sorry to say that my favourite scene in a video full of cute kitties doing fun things was the Twiddle filming. Apart from that, this is a genuinely solid video (moreso than usual); the production is excellent and the dialogue is the sharpest I've heard anywhere in a good while. Top banana.

I wonder what running a comparative spectrograph on Paul and Glenn the landlord would reveal. The voice resemblance is uncanny. I'd also be up for a Khaavren and Annika drawing at some point, if only because the idea of a 'Kitty Empire' type thing sounds cool.

aeric90 wrote:Has any one else heard what sounds like Graham at 4:32 when the music is playing?

Glad I'm not the only one who could hear it.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby SilPho » 19 Apr 2011, 05:04

To all those (myself included) who thought the ending felt a bit quick, the stinger is even more humorous.

Oh, and the meme-police approve of the correct font ;)
therockdemon
First Video: just drive

Postby therockdemon » 19 Apr 2011, 07:12

after watching it again i noticed that the landlord looked very weirded out is that a look you normally get when filming or is he just a good actor
Last night I was in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 19 Apr 2011, 07:34

Deserves to be transcribed:

That checkout lady gave us some weird looks. She must think we’re some mentally ill couple running a giant kitty breeding pit... just a massive sinkhole of surly fur beasts... and everyday, more of them... until they engulf the world in a fine coating of hyper-allergenic death-fuzz. No one’s ready.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
ddq
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby ddq » 19 Apr 2011, 08:50

Awesome episode! I really liked the completely fail conclusion, it was good to see Mathleen punished for their heartless exploitation of those innocent felines.

Also, it's probably been a thing and I just missed it, but I would most definitely buy LRR logo bumper stickers. They'd also be nice to include with t-shirt orders instead of buttons.
Not visiting my site has been known to cause erectile dysfunction.
Wolfenbarg

Postby Wolfenbarg » 19 Apr 2011, 12:00

DJScythe15 wrote:Another good cHustle. On a sidenote, has the "internet video" confusion ever occurred when explaining the site to people?

I'm also all for Team Matt shirts, as long as a rival team is somehow thought up. Team Kitties, maybe?

Based on past episodes, the opposition would definitely be Team James. I would also pay cash money for either shirt.

Nirvana wrote:For the most part I enjoyed it. My only criticism would be that the video appeared to end out of absolutely nowhere. It seemed like we went from them filming cats, and suddenly:

"Did it work?
"Nope."
"Alright then."

I thought the same thing. It was funny how horribly the failed, but it felt like there was 30 seconds to a minute missing of how horribly it failed to pan out. Maybe someone appearing with a better cat video? I don't know.
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 19 Apr 2011, 17:22

I can appriciate the concept of failure as a theme, but it doesn't make me feel less underwhelmed by the end. I agree with Wolfenbarg and Nirvana about wanting to see the plan fail outside of it simply being said that the plan failed.

More possitively, the dialogue was absolutely brilliant. Matt's horror-stricken lines and the conversation with the landlord are probably the new highlights of the past few videos.
Nirvana
First Video: Unskippable 01 - Lost Planet

Postby Nirvana » 19 Apr 2011, 18:19

MotorWaffle wrote:More possitively, the dialogue was absolutely brilliant. Matt's horror-stricken lines and the conversation with the landlord are probably the new highlights of the past few videos.

This. Matts delivery of those lines was fantastic.
Check out my weekly WWE RAW reviews at http://www.RingsideAcademy.com
Wolfenbarg

Postby Wolfenbarg » 19 Apr 2011, 22:08

Also, when Kathleen asked what the internet wanted, I half expected a season 1 throwback and Graham saying he's suffered enough from ball kicking shenanigans. It's alright, I'm sure someone in that room was thinking it...
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 19 Apr 2011, 23:58

Matt's dazed lines were great. I like Glen.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 20 Apr 2011, 04:56

I agree with everyone saying Matt's BSOD was great. He just looked haunted, Kathleen's bit about explaining videos to her colleagues worked well too. It was nice to see Kathleen and Matt paired up, I don't think that's happened in Hustle until now, has it?

But I also think it just sorta petered out towards the end. There was no punchline or climax. Whilst the fact their project failed was funny, there just needed to be a little more oomph at the end.

I still enjoyed it, though.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 20 Apr 2011, 07:41

Rewatching it, Graham really nailed the pure disappointment at the end, and yes, Matt's sanity fail was incredibly well done as well.
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
elvor
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby elvor » 23 Apr 2011, 15:49

Just watched. Matt was awesome. Kathleen was awesome. 'Twiddle' was awesome.

Also, I really enjoyed the ending. Graham desperately seeking some point to the events of the video was nicely understated.

A+ video, will watch again. :P
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 26 Apr 2011, 12:51

Hilarious. An absolutely brilliant cHustle.

I remember seeing the Annikka video, wasn't there also one of him eating an ice cream?
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Ottoman

Postby Ottoman » 26 Apr 2011, 13:42

Nah, it was Khaavren that liked the ice cream. Annikka was offered a lick, but didn't seem to be interested in it.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 28 Apr 2011, 14:00

Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
RLYoshi
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby RLYoshi » 30 Apr 2011, 12:05

Something I couldn't help noticing was that in the intro, Bill and Morgan were removed. What confused me is how you still got the music right - the intro was shorter, yet the music seemed to be the same length, starting and ending on the proper notes.
I fight for TRUTH! JUSTICE! And DONUTS!

...not really the first two.
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 30 Apr 2011, 12:28

RLYoshi wrote:Something I couldn't help noticing was that in the intro, Bill and Morgan were removed. What confused me is how you still got the music right - the intro was shorter, yet the music seemed to be the same length, starting and ending on the proper notes.

That's called audio editing. Anyone can do it, given attention to detail. Though for it to sound good requires skill and practice.
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
EikoandMog

Postby EikoandMog » 01 Jun 2011, 21:32

I actually found my old, minute collection of 7 and 8e magic cards and I actually own a 7e Twiddle.

Return to “commodoreHUSTLE”