commodoreHUSTLE 03 - Critical

Talk about commodoreHUSTLE, LRR's continuing web series.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 11 Dec 2008, 11:59

Brightmorn wrote:
Graham wrote:Oh, she knows the full depth of my geekery.
While she doesn't fully match-up, she holds her quite well in a geek-off.

As Kathleen has said, she enjoys editing the written word for fun. That in its self is quite geeky.

I, too, quite enjoy the taste of Grammar in the morning.

I prefer "nerd" to "geek", however.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 11 Dec 2008, 12:04

Tim wrote:I prefer "nerd" to "geek", however.

I've always thought that "nerd" implied a level of social incompetance, while "geek" was just an overwhelming interest in, and knowledge of, a given subject. Not just computers or gaming stuff.

Heck, you can be a football geek if you so choose.

What I am saying Tim, is that I don't consider you a nerd. But if it is your chosen moniker, I'll run with it.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 11 Dec 2008, 12:31

See, I've always seen "geek" as the socially incompetent one, while nerd was just an overwhelming interest in something. The word "geek" conjures up images of pocket protectors and pimples, for me.

Strange how perceptions differ.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 11 Dec 2008, 12:34

Tim wrote:The word "nerd" conjures up images of pocket protectors and pimples, for me.

See, we are completely polarized on this one.

Pop-culture is the main reason for my interpretation:
Telaril

Postby Telaril » 11 Dec 2008, 12:41

I think linguistic history supports your definition of "nerd," Graham.

Nerd used to be used as a synonym for "square," then it began to denote intelligence and awkwardness as well as being boring and straight-edge.

The problem with "geek" is that it has a much more... interesting history and, I think, a connotation that implies weirdness in addition to expertise. That could just be because I'm aware of the etymology.

Still, according to Google, I think Graham is a bit closer to the more widely accepted definitions of both words. Fortunately for us, it seems that most people no longer know the terrifying origins of the word geek. Soon it will belong to us entire. Soon.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 11 Dec 2008, 12:53

Graham wrote:

I've always thought that "nerd" implied a level of social incompetance, while "geek" was just an overwhelming interest in, and knowledge of, a given subject. Not just computers or gaming stuff.

What I am saying Tim, is that I don't consider you a nerd. But if it is your chosen moniker, I'll run with it.

Back in college, I and my nerd friends, had a lenghtty discussion about nerds, geeks, and dorks.
Nerds, we decided, were people who were intelligent and bookish, but lack common sense. Oh, sure, they can recite poetry or do long division in their head, but they're not sure how to bring it up in conversation with "regular people", which leads to a certain social awkwardness.
Geeks were people with a bit of an obsessive interest in one or more subjects, socially capable, as long as they're with their own kind, thus you have drama geeks, music geeks, etc... and a person can also be a theate geek AND video game geek; they can also act normal aroud other people without their interests, but they don't make a habit of it.
And dorks know waaaay too much about what are generally considered geeky subjects (Star Wars/Trek, computrs, video games, RPGs, etc..), and pretty much let their lives revolve around it, and therefore lack any ability to socialize whatsoever, unless it's solely with people who share their interest. This leads people to sometimes think they're just a geek, but learn the hideous truth way too late to back away slowly.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 11 Dec 2008, 13:02

nerd.

geek. (and one of the coolest guys I've ever met)

-m

I am not angry at you.
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 11 Dec 2008, 13:44

man... Graham has the funnyest lines "DnD is laaaame" lol
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 11 Dec 2008, 14:26

Jillers wrote:
Graham wrote:

Back in college, I and my nerd friends, had a lenghtty discussion about nerds, geeks, and dorks.
Nerds, we decided, were people who were intelligent and bookish, but lack common sense. Oh, sure, they can recite poetry or do long division in their head, but they're not sure how to bring it up in conversation with "regular people", which leads to a certain social awkwardness.
Geeks were people with a bit of an obsessive interest in one or more subjects, socially capable, as long as they're with their own kind, thus you have drama geeks, music geeks, etc... and a person can also be a theate geek AND video game geek; they can also act normal aroud other people without their interests, but they don't make a habit of it.
And dorks know waaaay too much about what are generally considered geeky subjects (Star Wars/Trek, computrs, video games, RPGs, etc..), and pretty much let their lives revolve around it, and therefore lack any ability to socialize whatsoever, unless it's solely with people who share their interest. This leads people to sometimes think they're just a geek, but learn the hideous truth way too late to back away slowly.

This. This this this. I too have had lengthy discussions on this subject with my friends, and we came to much the same conclusion.

Though all three terms are being reclaimed from their original derogatory usages as monikers to be used with a shaky sort of pride. Of course, each type of geek holds themselves in higher regard than other certain types of geek... I think there's a flowchart somewhere on the internets...

Also I showed this video to my DM. He laughed. A TERRIFYING, TERRIFYING LAUGH. I can never unhear it. D:

Oh, and my group used to make fun of my character's name (Selar), until the DM actually met a person who was named that. Which is strange, because I had made the name up on my own.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 11 Dec 2008, 15:28

What does Jaleel White taste like? Find out in Steve, Don't Eat It! as Steve tries some vintage 1991 Urkel-Os
Last edited by Evil Jim on 13 Dec 2008, 02:35, edited 1 time in total.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Ceer

Postby Ceer » 12 Dec 2008, 05:25

Jillers wrote:Back in college, I and my nerd friends, had a lengthy discussion about nerds, geeks, and dorks.
Geeks were people with a bit of an obsessive interest in one or more subjects, socially capable, as long as they're with their own kind, thus you have drama geeks, music geeks, etc... and a person can also be a theater geek AND video game geek; they can also act normal around other people without their interests, but they don't make a habit of it.
And dorks know waaaay too much about what are generally considered geeky subjects (Star Wars/Trek, computers, video games, RPGs, etc..), and pretty much let their lives revolve around it, and therefore lack any ability to socialize whatsoever, unless it's solely with people who share their interest. This leads people to sometimes think they're just a geek, but learn the hideous truth way too late to back away slowly.

This is in line with my own beliefs on the matter, and I move to have these adopted as the official definitions.
-Leadership
-Vision
-Trousers
Ceer

Postby Ceer » 12 Dec 2008, 05:27

Evil Jim wrote:What does Jaleel White taste like? Find out in Steve, Don't Eat It! as Steve tries some vintage 1991 Urke-Os

I LOVE Steve, Don't Eat It!!!!! The things that man has eaten over the years... Mmmmmm, Tree Brain...
-Leadership

-Vision

-Trousers
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 12 Dec 2008, 09:50

AlexanderDitto wrote:
Jillers wrote:
Graham wrote:

This. This this this. I too have had lengthy discussions on this subject with my friends, and we came to much the same conclusion.

Though all three terms are being reclaimed from their original derogatory usages as monikers to be used with a shaky sort of pride. Of course, each type of geek holds themselves in higher regard than other certain types of geek... I think there's a flowchart somewhere on the internets...

Also I showed this video to my DM. He laughed. A TERRIFYING, TERRIFYING LAUGH. I can never unhear it. D:

Oh, and my group used to make fun of my character's name (Selar), until the DM actually met a person who was named that. Which is strange, because I had made the name up on my own.

After reading this, here is what I know:

You have pure vestiges of these terms, as in someone is a pure dork geek or nerd. But you can also have them as part of a common phrasing and that is what takes some of the sting out of the meaning. I specifically talk about my high school music groups: we were choir NERDS, band GEEKS, and orc DORKS. Does this mean that everyone in the choir was socially inept, everyone in the band was really into band, and all orchestra people were secretly obsessed with strings? No. In fact, the overall "classification" you could give us would be as music geeks. It usually ended up that we specialized in one or another. Hell, some of the football players were actually some of the most talented singers in the choir.

As for what I am, I guess I am a huge music geek with some nerdy ribbons and nuggets of dorkiness. I'm the Tin Roof Sundae of geekiness.
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 12 Dec 2008, 14:24

According to dictionary.com, they are defined thusly.
Nerd
1. a stupid, irritating, ineffectual, or unattractive person.
2. an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd.
Dork
1. a stupid or ridiculous person; jerk; nerd.
2. Vulgar. penis.
Both have alternative meanings, but it's pretty clear in each case which one is the more common usage.
"Geek" is where it gets interesting.
1. a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, esp. one who is perceived to be overly intellectual.
2. a computer expert or enthusiast (a term of pride as self-reference, but often considered offensive when used by outsiders.)
3. a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 12 Dec 2008, 14:29

Hmm...
I do bite off chicken heads in front of crowds for money... I must be a geek.
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 12 Dec 2008, 16:55

I'm a massive dork. Huge.
Jester

Postby Jester » 12 Dec 2008, 16:59

Geek here. I've always used it a proud term and I've always seen it much like Graham...sorry Tim. :P
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 12 Dec 2008, 17:26

I use "geek" to refer to anyone with a large interest or obsession with a specific field or activity, such as music, sports, football, video games, theatre, or what have you. I use "Nerd" to a specific type of geek, one who is erudite and who's interests largely lie with computers, electronics, and/or gaming (tabletop or video); basically the type of people who would enjoy LRR. I consider social ineptitude to be a different issue entirely. I self-identify as both a nerd and a geek, and I've seen fairly little correlation between level of obsession and social aptitude when conversing with others of vastly different degrees of obsession in vastly different fields. Of course, when you're dealing with extreme-extreme-obsession, where one spends all of his time in his parents basement, there is a significant drop in social aptitude. Which is what happens when you don't interact with anybody.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 12 Dec 2008, 17:49

Emperor Gum wrote:I'm a massive dork. Huge.

But it doesn't count if you measure from the base of your Bawls... carton.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 12 Dec 2008, 19:52

Master Gunner wrote:I use "geek" to refer to anyone with a large interest or obsession with a specific field or activity, such as music, sports, football, video games, theatre, or what have you. I use "Nerd" to a specific type of geek, one who is erudite and who's interests largely lie with computers, electronics, and/or gaming (tabletop or video); basically the type of people who would enjoy LRR. I consider social ineptitude to be a different issue entirely. I self-identify as both a nerd and a geek, and I've seen fairly little correlation between level of obsession and social aptitude when conversing with others of vastly different degrees of obsession in vastly different fields. Of course, when you're dealing with extreme-extreme-obsession, where one spends all of his time in his parents basement, there is a significant drop in social aptitude. Which is what happens when you don't interact with anybody.

+1
Splunge

Postby Splunge » 13 Dec 2008, 00:29

...Not sure we get that Skittles ad over here. Is that actually a real ad, and if so, can someone link to a copy?
Fun is the feedback the brain gives while successfully absorbing a pattern - Raph Koster
I'm think I might be indirectly responsible for Bagel Time!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 13 Dec 2008, 00:57

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Zma2_n5CA

Huh. I'd only ever seen a shorter version, I didn't realize the phrase "pretty awesome" was right from the ad. Go me!
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 13 Dec 2008, 02:41

I just watched CH3 again & it was hi-larious. Something about not having seen it for several days & the fact that I woke up in the middle of the night made it all that much better.

Thanks for linking the Skittles commercial. I trusted that it was a real advert as mentioned in the video but seeing it for the first time made it even funnier. Now I really want some Skittles & I haven't even eaten Skittles for years. Tho' you can thank Graham & not the original ad for that.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 13 Dec 2008, 05:05

Graham wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Zma2_n5CA

Huh. I'd only ever seen a shorter version, I didn't realize the phrase "pretty awesome" was right from the ad. Go me!

I wonder what would happen if he touched another Skittle. Nothing? Or would it dematerialize into even smaller Skittles?

QUESTIONS ABOUND
Bob The Magic Camel

Postby Bob The Magic Camel » 13 Dec 2008, 07:34

Re: The dice issue.

Technically speaking, a dice roll is not random, it just appears so. It can easily be modelled if one knows the exact surface of the table, and has perfect control of their muscles to the extent that they can choose the exact velocities and position of the dice.

So Jer has Epic Kinaesthesia.
This signature has been intentionally left blank.

No marks will be awarded for solutions written on this signature.

Return to “commodoreHUSTLE”