commodoreHUSTLE 03 - Critical

Talk about commodoreHUSTLE, LRR's continuing web series.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 13 Dec 2008, 09:06

Yeah, the only problem with the "1 in 20 rolls will statistically be X, where X is a number between 1 and 20" is that every roll is subject to the same unknown variables and by the margin of error of the rolling hand.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 13 Dec 2008, 12:03

I apologize if this has already been said but 10pgs is alot to go through, but why didn't paul question graham when he mentioned about work? sorry to get technical but still, LOVE this video

(P.S. I LOVE YOUR VIDEOS, but my gf says you guys sound like girls, and everytime she heres the opening sound she gets annoyed)
Bob The Magic Camel

Postby Bob The Magic Camel » 13 Dec 2008, 12:52

Lyinginbedmon wrote:Yeah, the only problem with the "1 in 20 rolls will statistically be X, where X is a number between 1 and 20" is that every roll is subject to the same unknown variables and by the margin of error of the rolling hand.

Theory goes, that if one is entirely unaware of these factors; or despite awareness, unable to factor or influence them; like most people then it is as good as random. But if one is aware of all factors involved in a process, and can influence them freely, then nothing is truly random. Even atmospheric noise can theoretically be set up to give the exact result required. The knowledge and influence required for that feat, however is so large for it to be deemed all but impossible. Fixing a dice roll, on the other hand, should be well within human capability, given a human with suitable control over their own actions. Hence my ascertain that Jer has Epic Kinaesthesia. It would be the easiest way to shoot that scene, it would also make him a formidable DM.

----

On another topic, I once set up a battle with a challenge rating such that the PC's were as good as guaranteed to loose, I would then use that to set up a quest. Of course, the entire attacking force end up killing themselves.
This signature has been intentionally left blank.

No marks will be awarded for solutions written on this signature.
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 13 Dec 2008, 14:02

gcninja wrote:I apologize if this has already been said but 10pgs is alot to go through, but why didn't paul question graham when he mentioned about work? sorry to get technical but still, LOVE this video

If there's one thing I've learned from re-watching the other two episodes, it's that when it comes to apparent plot 'holes', everything happens for a reason. Paul called James out on Graham having a job at the phone store, for example, but didn't say anything when Graham said he had non-specific 'work'.
I'm serious about rewatching the episodes. When Graham comes back from work and tells James he just gave his notice, there's an audible hesitation there. Very clever, very classy.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 13 Dec 2008, 14:45

Bob The Magic Camel wrote:
Lyinginbedmon wrote:Yeah, the only problem with the "1 in 20 rolls will statistically be X, where X is a number between 1 and 20" is that every roll is subject to the same unknown variables and by the margin of error of the rolling hand.

Theory goes, that if one is entirely unaware of these factors; or despite awareness, unable to factor or influence them; like most people then it is as good as random. But if one is aware of all factors involved in a process, and can influence them freely, then nothing is truly random. Even atmospheric noise can theoretically be set up to give the exact result required. The knowledge and influence required for that feat, however is so large for it to be deemed all but impossible. Fixing a dice roll, on the other hand, should be well within human capability, given a human with suitable control over their own actions. Hence my ascertain that Jer has Epic Kinaesthesia. It would be the easiest way to shoot that scene, it would also make him a formidable DM.

This is not true as I understand it. There are certain variables that cannot be controlled, or even measured (I'm talking Quantum Physics here). Similar to how even if there were weather stations spaced a metre appart everywhere on earth, you would still only be able to predict the weather out to less than a month away.
Certainly a die can be rolled in a manner that would control but I doubt a d20 could be controlled in such a manner by a human. Especially given he is rolling several at once.
Bob The Magic Camel

Postby Bob The Magic Camel » 13 Dec 2008, 15:25

metcarfre wrote:
Bob The Magic Camel wrote:

This is not true as I understand it. There are certain variables that cannot be controlled, or even measured (I'm talking Quantum Physics here). Similar to how even if there were weather stations spaced a metre appart everywhere on earth, you would still only be able to predict the weather out to less than a month away.
Certainly a die can be rolled in a manner that would control but I doubt a d20 could be controlled in such a manner by a human. Especially given he is rolling several at once.

Any lack of prediction is simply because we don't know enough about controlling factors. We can't predict too far ahead, because we don't know exactly what the sun, nor the insides of the Earth are doing. With a perfect model, and knowledge of what all other factors will be doing till the end of time, we would be able to predict till the end of time.

And no, no normal human could perfectly control the roll of a die. But one with kinaesthesia heightened to an extreme degree could find, albeit through luck, the way to roll each number on a given surface, and could then replicate that movement perfectly, producing the same result every time. The limiting factor here is replication of movement. Of course, I'm dealing more with Platonic forms of people, I doubt anyone alive today could manage it.
This signature has been intentionally left blank.

No marks will be awarded for solutions written on this signature.
tbug

Postby tbug » 13 Dec 2008, 16:15

Bob The Magic Camel wrote:Any lack of prediction is simply because we don't know enough about controlling factors.

Engage the Heisenberg compensators!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 13 Dec 2008, 17:41

Bob The Magic Camel wrote:Stuff.

No, you're wrong. Heisenberg Uncertainty principle I think?
*Wikipedia's*

Yeah, I think that's it. There's a lot of math on that page.

Basically for you to accurately predict certain kinds of behavior you need to observe all variables at a sub-sub-atomic scale, which is effectively impossible. ERGO, certain kinds of predictions would need to be made.

Edit; Where's Crusher when you need him?
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 13 Dec 2008, 18:58

The problem with the Heisenberg uncertainty principle is that it doesn't apply to dice. On a sub-atomic level, yes, it is impossible to perfectly predict the actions of a particle, since in order to accurately derive it's position, you need to reflect photons or something off of it, which changes the particles momentum, and the more accurately you try to measure it's momentum, the less accurately you can measure it's position. Fortunately however, dice are of sufficient mass and size, and with a set amount of end variables you care about, things like errant photons, brownian motion, and sub-atomic interactions don't effect the end results that you care about.

Basically, if you build a machine to roll die, and it rolls a 20 the first time, every subsequent attempt, so long as you reset everything to the way it was for the first roll, will also come up a 20. Or a 1. Or whatever other number you want. There will of course be some drift over time due to wear on the components, die, and surface; but they can be accounted for easily enough. In fact, your main concerns will be air currents, which are hard to control. So roll your die in a vacuum chamber.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Zack

Postby Zack » 13 Dec 2008, 19:11

Nevrmore wrote:
Graham wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Zma2_n5CA

Huh. I'd only ever seen a shorter version, I didn't realize the phrase "pretty awesome" was right from the ad. Go me!

I wonder what would happen if he touched another Skittle. Nothing? Or would it dematerialize into even smaller Skittles?

QUESTIONS ABOUND

Was wondering that too.

~Zack
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 13 Dec 2008, 20:50

actually nothing happens, if you watch the commercial, he opens his hands to more skittles, and nothings different about them. this proves he can touch other skittles
Kag

Postby Kag » 13 Dec 2008, 21:44

Bob The Magic Camel wrote:Any lack of prediction is simply because we don't know enough about controlling factors. We can't predict too far ahead, because we don't know exactly what the sun, nor the insides of the Earth are doing. With a perfect model, and knowledge of what all other factors will be doing till the end of time, we would be able to predict till the end of time.

Assuming we had that information, we'd still need a system more complex than what it is we're modeling to do that. Not impossible with something small like dice, but obviously unfeasible at anything much larger.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 14 Dec 2008, 09:30

gcninja wrote:actually nothing happens, if you watch the commercial, he opens his hands to more skittles, and nothings different about them. this proves he can touch other skittles

No, it proves that he can hold Skittles after they've dematerialized into Skittles, which means his Skittlebility (That's Skittle + ability) may only work with every time he retracts whatever body part was touching the person and then tries again. but doesn't affect anything he's currently holding.
robothero
First Video: Ways to drink a Coke?

Postby robothero » 14 Dec 2008, 09:58

gcninja wrote:I apologize if this has already been said but 10pgs is alot to go through, but why didn't paul question graham when he mentioned about work? sorry to get technical but still, LOVE this video
I assumed that if he "gave notice," this would have been two weeks notice and this took place during those two weeks.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 14 Dec 2008, 10:57

robothero wrote:
I assumed that if he "gave notice," this would have been two weeks notice and this took place during those two weeks.

He got fired and never got to give his notice, that's what Paul was telling James and Matt later.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 14 Dec 2008, 12:23

I think what he's asking is, since Paul knows I'm fired, why doesn't he question it when I say I have to work today.
He's covering for me in front of Kathleen. This is not made clear, or important enough TO make clear, which is why it might seem ambiguous.
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 14 Dec 2008, 15:10

Dominic Appleguard wrote:Very clever, very classy.

Graham wrote:Yes we are, thanks.

Fix'd.
DmitriW
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby DmitriW » 14 Dec 2008, 17:03

Graham wrote:I think what he's asking is, since Paul knows I'm fired, why doesn't he question it when I say I have to work today.
He's covering for me in front of Kathleen. This is not made clear, or important enough TO make clear, which is why it might seem ambiguous.

Huh...and here I thought that Graham was working as a line dancing instructor now...
Consider this signature a museum piece, since I love it and am unlikely to change it ever.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 14 Dec 2008, 17:06

DmitriW wrote:
Graham wrote:I think what he's asking is, since Paul knows I'm fired, why doesn't he question it when I say I have to work today.

Huh...and here I thought that Graham was working as a line dancing instructor now...

no, i think he just goes to classes.
oh and graham, alright just wonder, not TRYING to poke holes or anything
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 14 Dec 2008, 18:21

Makes sense. Wikified.
_ArK_

Postby _ArK_ » 14 Dec 2008, 18:52

Sorry, I was just listening to the podcast and Graham mentioned that nobody mentioned the NESboX Logo.

Personally, I loved it and lol'd

Way to go Graham.

Also, Paul's delivery of "I made that" line was hilarious.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 14 Dec 2008, 23:58

_ArK_ wrote:Sorry, I was just listening to the podcast and Graham mentioned that nobody mentioned the NESboX Logo.

Personally, I loved it and lol'd

Way to go Graham.

Also, Paul's delivery of "I made that" line was hilarious.

+1

Re: got it memorized? i do!

Postby avatarkayla » 15 Dec 2008, 04:35

[quote="Graham"][quote="Matt"][quote="avatarkayla"]call me nit picky, but their is no chim-chara. in the chim chim cher-ee song. [/quote]
I actually asked Graham about this during shooting.[/quote]
It has also been some time since seeing it, and I really did think that variation existed. We'll go with someone's previously postulation that Adam is intentionally misquoting it.[/quote]

ha!! i knew it! me and my boyfriend were having a huge debate on weather or not it was missed quoted on purpose. don't worry about miss quoting it, its really not something people normally know. its something only people who typically use Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious in their normal speak, or if board say it backwards, dociousaliexpilisticfragicalirupus. if its in Disney i know it.
Nomadic
First Video: Serious Cravings

Re: got it memorized? i do!

Postby Nomadic » 15 Dec 2008, 10:20

avatarkayla wrote:if its in Disney i know it.

Where does Morph come from?
What is the store that destroys the planet?
What is the nickname of the man who kidnaps a main character from this movie with the intent of selling him to a museum?
Where can you find the hidden passage to beat Zurg?
Name two movies in which you can find a monkey and a parrot.

I may not know everything about Disney, but I'm a king of random trivia. :P

Also, note on the NESboX logo: AWESOME. I can has Tshirt? Or at the very least high-res photo for wallpaper?
Successfully lurking since 1709.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 16 Dec 2008, 07:37

tak197 wrote:By the way, I think I found my Christmas present to Paul this year:

And now I found Matt's...

Sadly it's already Sold Out :?

Return to “commodoreHUSTLE”