commodoreHUSTLE 07 - Fallout

Talk about commodoreHUSTLE, LRR's continuing web series.
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 13 Apr 2009, 08:40

I'm a proud college drop out as well. DON'T FORGET ME!!

*edit - I should say I like the term because at least I gave it a shoot at the time. School isn't my thing, and I am extremely happy with where my life is currently. I also have every intention of going back to school at some point. I have no issues with being 30 and back in school with a bunch of 19-25 year olds. I can tell them what the 90's were like :P
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 13 Apr 2009, 08:53

I've got a student in my class that can tell me what the 60s were like. But never asked them about it.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 13 Apr 2009, 11:25

Just the other day I overheard a couple kids who were discussing the Matrix, and from what I understood as I was walking by, they had just watched it for the first time.

This was in high school.

This scares me.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
evilofficer

Postby evilofficer » 13 Apr 2009, 11:33

did you film the beginning of this episoe the same time you filmed the beginning for how to survive the recession?
We all have purposes in life
i believe that my purpose is to laugh my ass off
mission accomplished.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 13 Apr 2009, 11:45

Master Gunner wrote:Just the other day I overheard a couple kids who were discussing the Matrix, and from what I understood as I was walking by, they had just watched it for the first time.

This was in high school.

This scares me.

Why should it? It is not like everyone watches everything at the same time. I am sure there are plenty of 'important' films I have not seen yet. Someone in grade twelve today would have been seven when the Matrix came out which is a tad young to watch a relatively violent movie.

The Matrix being out for ten years does make me feel old which is scary.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 13 Apr 2009, 12:16

Maybe I'm just biased because I would have been seven when I first watched the Matrix. I dunno, but kids these days seem to be younger than ever. There are literally kids that don't come up to my elbow, and not due to any medical condition, and far more than there ever should be. I may be tall, but I'm not Bill-tall, so these kids must be getting shorter every year.

Or something, I think I lost myself somewhere. I should get back to those essays I need to write.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 13 Apr 2009, 12:24

As you grow older people start looking younger and younger. First years now look like high school students to be (which they nearly are). Even when I was in first year high school students looked like mere children.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Septavius
Location: The friends to the south of our friends to the north

Postby Septavius » 13 Apr 2009, 12:30

I've actually noticed how very YOUNG early high school students look to me now. What's remarkable is that every class after mine seemed to get shorter and shorter; granted, I have not stopped getting taller, even after my growth spurt 4 years ago, but I don't think that's the whole story.

I legitimately think that year by year, people of a given age are shorter, for some reason.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 13 Apr 2009, 12:33

^^What Septavius said. I'm simply comparing heights here, and while I know I was taller than average back then, and they'll grow a fair bit during high school.....I know I didn't grow 2 or 3 feet in those 4 years, and I swear that there's a lot of these people that are closer to four feet than five.
Septavius

Postby Septavius » 13 Apr 2009, 12:52

Keep in mind, I'm 6'6", so I could just be skewed by how significantly taller I've gotten since I was a high school freshman, but this was heartily confirmed by other people in my class and the class below me who were more normal in height.
Kdz
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby Kdz » 13 Apr 2009, 14:18

I was average height for my class, and really, for Americans in general (I'm 5'11", which as I recall is the average height of the American male). I was this height all through high school. I didn't grow any. And every year, the new class would be shorter.

So, unlike you guys, even though I have documented proof that I didn't grow any, each year the lower classes got shorter and shorter.

And yet, on the whole, we're supposedly getting taller as a species.
Septavius

Postby Septavius » 13 Apr 2009, 15:19

Kdz wrote:And yet, on the whole, we're supposedly getting taller as a species.

Maybe the average is going up, but maybe it's because there are greater numbers of people that are my height or Bill's height, balanced out by short people?
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 13 Apr 2009, 19:28

James wrote:I also have every intention of going back to school at some point. I have no issues with being 30 and back in school with a bunch of 19-25 year olds. I can tell them what the 90's were like :P

4 years ago, I was in the homecoming parade with one of my organizations, and our float theme was the smurfs. I heard a lot of little kids ask "Mommy, what are those?" when they saw us in our smurf hats. I died a little inside.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 13 Apr 2009, 19:56

I've discovered that I'm apparently no good for anything unless I'm in school. But I can't really go back until I find something to at least pay the loans I already owe. It's discouraging, but I'm not sure I want my Master's in Theatre anyway. I guess we'll see.

And I also can't believe the Matrix was ten years ago. I remember being suspended from school and getting it on DVD. That was in the 11th grade...
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Septavius

Postby Septavius » 13 Apr 2009, 20:31

You could try to get hired as a theater technician, or a concert tech at a club or something?

If you can get them to train you...most basic theater and concert tech is fairly straightforward.

EDIT: this of course assumes that you don't already know things about being a theater tech. I really have no idea.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 13 Apr 2009, 22:03

Eh, theater tech is a hard job to get. There are only a few tech people on hand per show, and each run goes weeks to months in length (depending on where you work).

Of course that's just speculation, I've never been a theater tech, but that's what I expect it would be like.

Addendum: Sorry, I should have been clearer. I've worked at theaters many times, but never as a "theater tech" (lights, sound, etc.)
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 13 Apr 2009, 22:46

James wrote:I'm a proud college drop out as well. DON'T FORGET ME!!

*edit - I should say I like the term because at least I gave it a shoot at the time. School isn't my thing, and I am extremely happy with where my life is currently. I also have every intention of going back to school at some point. I have no issues with being 30 and back in school with a bunch of 19-25 year olds. I can tell them what the 90's were like :P

I'm totally in the same boat, brother! :) Although, I'm probably not as happy with my life as you are with yours. :(
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 14 Apr 2009, 02:21

Shows run for a long time, yes. But most theaters just have a big pool they assign people from, so it's not the same person every evening (Atleast over here) Also, new people start off with the easy hanging and plugging jobs. (Putting the lights in the right place) And I've never met a full-time theater tech that wasn't more than happy to let someone else do that while he was behind his panel setting things up and leaning back :P TTech jobs usually require a bit of searching, but you'd probably be able to find one.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 14 Apr 2009, 05:19

Lord Chrusher wrote:As you grow older people start looking younger and younger. First years now look like high school students to be (which they nearly are). Even when I was in first year high school students looked like mere children.

I remember watching the first Turtles films when I was seven and seeing the kids in there thinking they were really old. Recently after watching them again did I notice how young they actually were. Same thing with Bugsey Malone.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 14 Apr 2009, 08:57

Elomin Sha wrote:
Lord Chrusher wrote:As you grow older people start looking younger and younger. First years now look like high school students to be (which they nearly are). Even when I was in first year high school students looked like mere children.

I remember watching the first Turtles films when I was seven and seeing the kids in there thinking they were really old. Recently after watching them again did I notice how young they actually were. Same thing with Bugsey Malone.

I remember some SERIOUSLY tiny kids that went into 6th grade when I was in 8th grade. Not even up to my belly button small, and I was barely 5 foot.

Now, looking back, a lot of the incoming Freshman (first year) ARE ACTUALLY a lot smaller. I don't think I'm just imagining it. They have some pretty damn tiny people, and very very few tall people. Odd.

PS: Bugsy Malone is the shit.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 14 Apr 2009, 09:36

I remember seeing the Mortal Kombat and Power Rangers movies as they came out.

Recently I've realised the biggest negative to having seen Red Dwarf: Back to Earth is that, in ten years, I'll remember seeing the series on TV, owning the series on DVD, and seeing the reunion special on TV.

That will make me feel oooooold.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Septavius

Postby Septavius » 14 Apr 2009, 10:34

Dutch guy wrote:Shows run for a long time, yes. But most theaters just have a big pool they assign people from, so it's not the same person every evening (Atleast over here) Also, new people start off with the easy hanging and plugging jobs. (Putting the lights in the right place) And I've never met a full-time theater tech that wasn't more than happy to let someone else do that while he was behind his panel setting things up and leaning back :P TTech jobs usually require a bit of searching, but you'd probably be able to find one.

I've only worked as a professional theater tech once, and I was part of a rather small crew for a fairly new summer program North Shore Music Theater was doing...the whole job lasted roughly a month and a half, and I was working more or less full-time (sometimes VERY significant overtime). It was a good time. So Dutch guy is probably right for most normal jobs, but there are exceptions. I really have no idea what the industry as a whole is like.
foxtrot_MGS

Postby foxtrot_MGS » 14 Apr 2009, 17:20

My goodness. Fallout 3 was like an experience that would be put on the Oprah Winfry show for me. At one point the line between reality and fallout blurred too much, and it all went downhill from there.

...Don't judge me! I was young and needed the caps.

At one point I found myself in some dirty subway shooting up jet. That's when I realized I hit rock bottom. I've been slowing recovering in rehab with a combination of Killzone and Bad Company. I still get cravings though.

Oh yeah! I had an idea (you should start ignoring this comment now), how about a T-shirt with a baby chicken and dodge ball on it reading "I'm going to kick you in the balls for chicks." No one...Really? Eh, screw you.
Kdz
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby Kdz » 14 Apr 2009, 18:08

foxtrot_MGS wrote:Oh yeah! I had an idea (you should start ignoring this comment now), how about a T-shirt with a baby chicken and dodge ball on it reading "I'm going to kick you in the balls for chicks." No one...Really? Eh, screw you.

"Dude, it says 'cock-meat sandwich' but in pictures. It's awesome."

;)
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 14 Apr 2009, 21:10

Kdz wrote:
foxtrot_MGS wrote:Oh yeah! I had an idea (you should start ignoring this comment now), how about a T-shirt with a baby chicken and dodge ball on it reading "I'm going to kick you in the balls for chicks." No one...Really? Eh, screw you.

"Dude, it says 'cock-meat sandwich' but in pictures. It's awesome."

;)

FIRE ZE MISSILES!

Return to “commodoreHUSTLE”