Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper

Discussion of LRR's weekly mockery of video game cutscenes.
Matt
LRR Crew

Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper

Postby Matt » 09 May 2011, 08:51

Just keep asking yourself, "Does this seem remotely like a game I want in my house?" (The answer is no).

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/unskippable/3181-Sherlock-Holmes-vs-Jack-the-Ripper

-m

I am not angry at you.
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Re: Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper

Postby LogicSword » 09 May 2011, 08:53

Someone actually thought this game would be a good idea?
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 09 May 2011, 13:26

Apparently?
They're from France though, so...

(Please note, that's true, and we did not make a joke that the development house is called "Frogwares")
goat

Postby goat » 09 May 2011, 16:46

I like how the hooker looks equally dead while she's still alive (and I'm not talking emotionally) as she does when she's having her wet vegetables hacked out.
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1
I X
First Video: Crime And Punishment. I think.

Postby I X » 09 May 2011, 16:50

Holy carp, first Unskippable I've watched in ages (usually too busy or forget) and boy was it a good one. Not that I would go near such a game anyway (I love the original stories too much) but glad to know its cutscenes are striving for artsy and missing, its dialogue is aimed at ACD but ends up more MCR, and its mission sub-objectives (map, reports) appear contrived at best.
Often outnumbered, never outpunned.

Note: in Ireland 'ye' is used as the plural of 'you'. It rather neatly avoids confusion online.

"Your accent is...ubiquitous."
-Graham Stark
WeirdBlueOne
First Video: Poker Before Dusk

Postby WeirdBlueOne » 09 May 2011, 21:51

When you guys said this was for the Xbox 360, I didn't believe you. What they probably did was take the PC version and then just port it to meet 360 standards. That being said, it still looks like it was made in the mid-90's.

Your video reminded me of this one I saw sometime last year. A different sherlock game of course. Creepy Watson! The music doesn't help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13YlEPwOfmk
I am anti-damage.

“If you were a meat-free soy product I would eat you for breakfast.” - Teetor
“Passive aggress THIS!!” - Bill, on fighting Gahndi
Helix
First Video: Cash Cats

Postby Helix » 10 May 2011, 00:41

As far as my (limited) knowledge of Sherlock Holmes goes (aside from walking past Arthur Conan Doyle's birthplace every day for a year) basically every crime is solved almost instantaneously by Holmes usually followed by some pipe smoking. That would be a very boring game... or a very detailed pipe simulator.

Still it would be funny if it had a button to insult Watson's intelligence; or maybe a quicktime event. It'd be in keeping with the canon anyway.

Great video as always.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 10 May 2011, 03:52

possibly a heroine injection minigame would be in order for a more true to life sherlock homes game.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 11 May 2011, 12:43

I heard that it's not that bad a game if you're somewhat interested in the Ripper murders. Is that true? I'm something of an amateur Ripperologist, and was thinking of getting this if I see it below a tenner.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

Helix
First Video: Cash Cats

Postby Helix » 11 May 2011, 16:55

iamafish wrote:possibly a heroine injection minigame would be in order for a more true to life sherlock homes game.

I assume they're saving that for DLC.
The Morrigan
First Video: Eyewitness Accounts

Postby The Morrigan » 15 May 2011, 16:17

I opened the video having only noticed the Sherlock Holmes part of the title. As I watched the intro, I thought to myself, "this looks like a cross between Sherlock Holmes and Jack the Ripper."

So... props to the art designers! *grins*
----

"Ok, I'm lost... I'm angry... and I'm armed."
--firefly
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 30 Jun 2011, 17:47

OK, so I bought and completed this game this week (it was £11.99 on Steam, reduced to £8 three days after I bought it, damn it!) and, you know what, I thought it was brilliant.

It starts the day before the murder of Polly Nichols, the Ripper's first canonical victim. Holmes gets interested and starts to investigate, and gets drawn into the case. It neatly sidesteps the Holmes-solving-it-for-the-police storyline after Annie Chapman is killed, as Inspector Abberline forbids Holmes from getting involved.

The highlight of the game is the murder scenes. Holmes gets all Victorian CSI on them, and I have to say I've never been more unnerved playing a game than I was examining Katherine Eddow's murder scene.

I've bought the other Holmes games on Steam on the strength of this one (plus, they were in a sale for £20 for the lot), and I've got high hopes (especially for the one were Holmes investigates a Cthulhu cult).
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 30 Jun 2011, 23:11

i bought this game a while ago and i thought it was quite good too so i was pleased to see it on unskippable :D

having said that the story itself was a bit weak, although there were a few good moments in it - there's one point where holmes complains about the number of fetch-and-carry quests he has to do for people. The atmosphere is great as well - the first thing i noticed was the sheer number of people around which just wasn't there in the previous games.

sherlock holmes the awakened is definitely the best one of the series so drinnik you should be pleased with your purchase.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis

Return to “Unskippable”