Episode 4 - Patently Silly

Talk about LRR's gaming news show on PATV.
semysane
First Video: Unskippable: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Re: Episode 4 - Patently Silly

Postby semysane » 31 May 2011, 23:35

Oh yeah, it was awesome! I think the PA community just couldn't think of anything else to criticize, so they just picked on the last thing they saw, lol
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 01 Jun 2011, 00:51

While we respect and appreciate all feedback, also remember that the number of people who comment on CheckPoint in the PA forums are a fraction of the whole viewing audience.

So, we read and listen to the comments, but if the audience is coming back, we must be doing something right :)
arch4non
First Video: 3 ps3's

Postby arch4non » 01 Jun 2011, 07:56

semysane wrote:Oh yeah, it was awesome! I think the PA community just couldn't think of anything else to criticize, so they just picked on the last thing they saw, lol

As someone pointed out on the PA forum it was done on The Colbert Report not too long ago, I believe it was related to the death of Osama bin Laden. It's a perfectly legitimate criticism, nobody likes hearing the same jokes over and over. That being said, I can hardly blame a few Canadians for not being up-to-date on the latest in American broadcasting.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 01 Jun 2011, 11:15

I completely did not see that. Darn it.

We thought it was a really funny idea!
Slack Mesa
First Video: Green

Postby Slack Mesa » 02 Jun 2011, 08:41

The objection I had to the spider scene was that Kathleen's reaction to spiders in the balloons was to immediately reach out and touch the spider-infested balloons.

That seems...wrong.

If you saw a bear hiding in the balloons, you wouldn't reach out and try to brush it off the table, right? You'd try to increase the distance between the yourself and the bear. Well, it's the same deal with spiders. Spiders: the bears of the insect kingdom.
ecks
First Video: The one where I can't remember

Postby ecks » 02 Jun 2011, 09:41

I had seen the balloon gag on the colbert report too, but I'm not going to hold that against you, I'm sure someone had done that before him too. But someone on the pa forums raised what I think is a good point: you announced the balloons before hand. For me, especially since I had seen the gag recently, this lead me to expect exactly what happened before it happened, which of course deflated (ha) the joke a bit. The spiders thing was new though, so that helped rescue it.

I guess it comes down to a "show, don't tell thing", which I'm sure you're familiar with, what with unskippable and everything else.

Of course you need a bit of an introduction for it though, so with the benefit of hindsight - I think maybe pulling out those roll up things that unroll and go "phweeeeeee!" when you blow on them (no idea what they are called) might have been a good lead in to the drop without spoiling the surprise. Bonus points if real or CG dust comes flying off them.

A lot of words for what I want to be clear is a very minor quibble. You guys have to put out so much content every week with a limited budget, personnel and prop department, and I have the benefit of hindsight, free time, other peoples feedback and a theoretical availabilty of any random object I can picture. So hopefully this feedback contains something marginally useful and isn't just annoying nitpicking. If not, at least you are free to assume anything not covered was the pinnacle of perfection :)
semysane
First Video: Unskippable: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby semysane » 02 Jun 2011, 13:01

SIMPSONS DID IT!
His_Ryanness
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming (I think)

Postby His_Ryanness » 02 Jun 2011, 22:26

I watched the spiders bit again just to make sure, and it seemed totally realistic to me.
This signature has been designed by neuroscientists to render you sterile upon reading.
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Postby Digital Dolphin » 03 Jun 2011, 09:26

I found the spider joke's timing to be off, which led to it feeling really forced.

I enjoyed the rest of the video though, and greatly look forward to seeing some E3 coverage! :D
#TeamKroze

Return to “Checkpoint”