Episode 37 - (In a row!?) - Survey Says!

Talk about LRR's gaming news show on PATV.
Matt
LRR Crew

Episode 37 - (In a row!?) - Survey Says!

Postby Matt » 16 Jan 2012, 10:26

I am not angry at you.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Re: Episode 37 - (In a row!?) - Survey Says!

Postby Geoff_B » 16 Jan 2012, 11:04

What are they doing with all that jam? Isn't it obvious? They're all Jampires!

And I can just imagine the researchers. "Thank you for filling out our survey. You will be hearing from the police shortly".
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 16 Jan 2012, 11:15

Matt has obviously watched Clerks.

And I have to wonder how much of that survey is true... No way more people steal jam than cheat on their significant others.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 16 Jan 2012, 12:07

More people admitted it, at least.
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 16 Jan 2012, 12:37

Also, the survey data said the the British cheats are much more likely to admit to stealing towels from hotels, and cheating on their taxes than Americans cheats. But less likely to admit to taking handicapped parking spaces. Since I walk with a cane, I think that stealing handicapped spaces is worse than towels, but not paying taxes is worse than both!

The 'cheaters' survey results are at - http://www.infosolutionsgroup.com/pdfs/ ... eaters.pdf - and the full survey is at www.infosolutionsgroup.com/pdfs/2011_Po ... esults.pdf (Caveat, not a scientific survey ala election polling, so take it with a huge pinch of salt. Particularly since there were only around ~84 people who admitted to cheating on popcap games, so the results may as well be random.)
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 16 Jan 2012, 13:05

MowDownJoe wrote:Matt has obviously watched Clerks.

And I have to wonder how much of that survey is true... No way more people steal jam than cheat on their significant others.

I don't think that's so crazy. I've taken packets of sugar and artificial sweetener, and I suspect jam but I don't remember, from restaurants, but would consider many of the other things on that list objectionable. I know people who pride themselves on being honest, but who still pocket packets of sugar and condiments.

People are very good at deciding when things don't "need" to be taken seriously, I guess.
Undersol
First Video: The Trouble With Scribbles [maybe]

Postby Undersol » 16 Jan 2012, 13:09

Why would you steal jam from restaurants? Their jam is always inferior; and worse, annoying to get out of those little packets.
"And it also helps with splash-back"
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 16 Jan 2012, 13:11

I kind of like those little packets, actually. They're convenient for if you only want to eat jam once.
zBuLe
First Video: Boy Wonder

Postby zBuLe » 16 Jan 2012, 13:22

I think the take on Project Fiona is misleading. It sound like Fiona is an iPad controller attachment, when in fact, Project Fiona is a Windows 8 Tablet, and the handlebars seem to be built in. Technically, it is a PC, and will be able to run PC games like Skirim, Portal 2, and Civilization V. It may just be a bash on the form factor, that a tablet is not a PC. But, If desktops and laptops are PCs, why not a tablet? If all three are running the same software, comparable hardware, and the only true difference is the form factor, why is it that a Windows tablet is not a PC? So what is meant with “Stop making tablets into something they are not” at one point, laptops where in the same situation, now they can replace all but the most powerful desktops. Tablets are following the same tread.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 16 Jan 2012, 13:50

Watch the CES Fiona demo. The guy from Razer is basically shitting all over the idea of tablets. He honestly says "PC gamers like us don't want to do all this pointing stuff *waves his finger over the screen* we want proper controls"

...then you should be using a mouse and keyboard. If you "PC gamers" don't want a tablet, then you shouldn't be using one.

I'm not saying playing SpaceMarine on a tablet wouldn't be cool, but the intent behind it is flawed.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 16 Jan 2012, 13:55

I'm probably getting my wires crossed here but wasn't that part of the idea behind OnLive, to play games on machines that normally wouldn't be able to play them?

JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 16 Jan 2012, 13:57

Next for the ultimate in tablet computing... a 40 inch screen. With options for both stand mounting, and wall mounts, for extra flexibility.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 16 Jan 2012, 14:20

Hey, try not to make any more episodes on the way to the studio, Graham!
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 16 Jan 2012, 14:35

On a more relevant note, why not start selling the tablets with a cord that plugs into the desktop that lets you play programs on device through the PC peripherals. Technically it's still on all the tablet so it's new and edgy, right?
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
DuelLadyS
First Video: Unskippable

Postby DuelLadyS » 16 Jan 2012, 15:17

I totally take jam... becuase the places 'round here get Knotts Berry jam, which you can't buy in stores. Plus, you don't have to refridgerate the packets, which is really convienient. As for hotels- I tend to swipe the things you could theoretically use up... shampoo, pens, paper pads- not towels.

On the flip side, my parents never use handicap parking- despite both of them qualifying for it. Does that make the karma balance out?
Flewellyn

Postby Flewellyn » 16 Jan 2012, 20:55

I can't help but think of Eddie Izzard. "Eww, it's all sticky! It's covered in jam!"
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 17 Jan 2012, 00:25

"This iPad doesn't work! It's made of jam!"

Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 17 Jan 2012, 02:17

A car designed for farming already exists. It's called the Landrover (The original series 1 was basically designed to be used as a tractor but capable of taking the family to church on sunday)
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
plummeting_sloth

Postby plummeting_sloth » 17 Jan 2012, 08:27

"It's the radar sir, it appears be... jammed."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcArnepkhv0
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 19 Jan 2012, 09:32

zBuLe wrote:I think the take on Project Fiona is misleading. ... Tablets are following the same tread.

Am I the only one who read that and thought "wow that person gets paid to search out any threads or videos about Project Fiona and try to make a sales pitch"

zBuLe wrote:and the only true difference is the form factor

1. No its not, processing, memory, and storage are also huge differences.

2. The form factor is a pretty significant difference. Thats like saying the only true difference between a Car and a Bicycle are 2 wheels and an engine.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
zBuLe

Postby zBuLe » 19 Jan 2012, 14:39

to Lord Hosk
I wish I got paid. It’s just that the video didn’t mention that it is a Windows 8 tablet. People don’t think of windows when someone says tablets. They think of iPads and Androids. Because it runs Windows is why they can say it is for PC Games instead of just Games. And on the form factor being the only true difference. I am referring to the qualifications for being a PC. Graham states “stop trying to make tablets into something they are not” which can be inferred that he means they are not PCs. PCs themselves have a wide variety of specs, different processors, memory and storage capacities. But what makes them PCs is, depending who you ask, either they run Windows or if it has an x86 CPU, Fiona has an i7 CPU and runs Windows. It is simply that he left out that it is a Windows tablet. People may think, and have, that that is an iPad, or Android, or something comparable with the controller handles for playing games like Angry Birds or Infinity Blade or spinoff and ports of PC and Console games, like Arkham City Lockdown or Minecraft: Pocket Edition. Instead of your entire Steam library, or any game that runs under windows, like WoW, Diablo, Skyrim and Minecraft. Some of my friends thought the demos of Space Marines, FireFall, and Assassins Creed were ports, they are not. The same game, the same programs that runs on the PC, runs on Fiona, or any other Windows tablet. If it is simply the form factor that isn’t up to the task for PC games, then just plug in a keyboard and mouse, or any PC compatible peripheral, and think of it as a 10.1 inch all-in-one PC. If I inferred incorrectly, let me know what he meant with “stop trying to make tablets into something they are not” in regards with Fiona, because I agree with that statement if it was about and iPad.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 21 Jan 2012, 14:30

I cant speak for graham I think he does a pretty good job of that himself both on his satirical game industry review show "checkpoint" and here on the forum.

Him not mentioning all the potential features you might be putting into your product during his 20 second comedy bit is most likely due to two points.
1.Its not a in depth review, its a joke it has a set up a delivery and a punch line.
2.It only lasted 20 seconds.

Now on to MY review of your product, the goal of "project fiona" as I understood it is to produce a tablet for under $1000 which is targeted at the "PC gamer market" correct me if I am wrong. This is a silly notion as for "under $1000" lets call it $999 or even $899 a gamer could buy either a really good desktop, or if more portability is required a quality laptop which would have more "Gaming power" than any tablet.

If I want a vehicle for my family of four to drive around town I will not look to the golf cart industry and give them $20,000 for a super upgraded golf cart I will just go to Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Honda... and say "here take my $15,000 and give me a car" While the super upgraded golf cart would move my family around and would technically qualify as a car, there are cheaper better alternatives already on the market.

As for people mistaking "project fiona" for a Ipad attachment well thats just something your marketing will have to overcome if its even possible, you cant blame people for associating Tablet with Apple, they control what 70% of the market, with android type devices pulling another 25%? 99% of tablets are not windows, try telling people to think "what color is a golf ball" then asking why they dont say green. I suppose what might be more apt "what color is a tomato?" I bet 70% will say red, and 30% say green. there are other colors of tomato but they arent what is thought of.

In conclusion,

The same game, the same programs that runs on the PC, runs on Fiona, or any other Windows tablet. If it is simply the form factor that isn’t up to the task for PC games, then just plug in a keyboard and mouse, or any PC compatible peripheral, and think of it as a 10.1 inch all-in-one PC.

Yes, you can use a windows tablet to run any windows program including games, poorly. And if you spend extra money to add in a bunch of peripherals you can turn it into a really expensive low performance laptop. OR you could just spend less money getting the better product you are trying to imitate.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
zBuLe

Postby zBuLe » 22 Jan 2012, 01:48

Well, first of, I don’t work on Fiona, or Razor, nor did I knew the company existed before CES. I am a programming student working on an Indie game of my own. And just watch this video of Fiona playing Skyrim on Ultra-High. The only problems that it might have are battery life and heat, and games accommodating a gamepad. other than that, while not as powerful as a desktop, it is a PC gaming Tablet.
http://www.destructoid.com/ces-razer-s-fiona-tablet-plays-skyrim-on-ultra-high--219544.phtml
The Windows tablets are a different type of devices than the iPad and Android tablets. iPad and Android run a Mobile OS. They can’t run OSX nor Linux software, no matter how powerful the hardware is, they are a different platform. Windows Tablets run the Desktop OS, it can run Desktop software. It is just a question of hardware. They just need to cram top of the line hardware into the form factor. They already have the i7 CPU, the best line of Intel CPUs. The GPU is still a mystery, but I think it will be nVidia. I think it will have at least 4GB of ram and 128 GB SSD. These specs are comparable to Alienware's gaming laptops, other than the i7 and the discreet GPU, everything else is speculation on my part, but the current gen Windows Tablet, Samsung Series 7 Slate, has similar specs.
I enjoy the humor of the LLR crew. I guess since I am more vested on the developer side than the gaming, I saw it as a glaring omission, it like forgetting to mention that Wii has Motion Controls.

Return to “Checkpoint”