Feed Dump 257 - 'Till All Are One

News, with silly hats.
ihorner
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Feed Dump 257 - 'Till All Are One

Postby ihorner » 17 Jun 2016, 15:20

This week on Feed Dump we discuss flat earth theories, round earth mysteries, and Beej gives us some deep thoughts on monkeys.
griffinguy24
First Video: Feed Dump: Panda, the Other White Meat

Re: Feed Dump 257 - 'Till All Are One

Postby griffinguy24 » 17 Jun 2016, 17:23

Fun fact*: While insect-eating bats are indeed nocturnal, relying on echolocation to capture their prey, most fruit bats, including the flying foxes mentioned in this Feed Dump, are diurnal, since, as fruit eaters, they rely on color vision to determine which fruits are ripe and edible!

*This fact is not guaranteed to be fun
mikeyjh
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby mikeyjh » 18 Jun 2016, 12:36

bwahahahahahaha

Sorry the Earth is NOT round. As I recall from my schooling that the Earth is an oblate spheroid. It's pudgy in the middle (equator).

And to make sure I'm NOT talking out of my bum here is a link https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblate_spheroid
theycallmejokke
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1

Postby theycallmejokke » 18 Jun 2016, 14:03

It does! It does make me angry! Grrr. :D
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 19 Jun 2016, 13:39

mikeyjh wrote:bwahahahahahaha

Sorry the Earth is NOT round. As I recall from my schooling that the Earth is an oblate spheroid. It's pudgy in the middle (equator).

And to make sure I'm NOT talking out of my bum here is a link https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblate_spheroid

Well, technically it is still round. A cylindrical earth would still be round. It just isn't [EDIT:] spherical

[/pedantryintensifies]
Last edited by My pseudonym is Ix on 20 Jun 2016, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 19 Jun 2016, 16:26

To be really pedantic, the Earth isn't a perfect oblate spheroid either. The geoid - the shape sea level would take in the absence of tides and winds - differs from the reference ellipsoid by up to a hundred metres. The south of India is about a hundred metres lower and Papua New Guinea about a hundred metres higher than they would be if the Earth was a perfect oblate spheroid.

Since the flattening of the Earth due to its rotation is about one part in three hundred, assuming the Earth is a sphere is valid for most purposes - it makes the maths much easier. Likewise, since the deviation of the geoid from the reference ellipsoid is about one part in 64 000, assuming that the Earth is an ellipsoid is fine most of the time. However, you would be surprised if your GPS was telling you if you were a hundred metres above sea level or a hundred metres below when you are in a boat out in the ocean so there are plenty of cases when you need to consider the Earth's exact shape. Radio astronomy observations can measure distances at the centimetre level.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.

Return to “Feed Dump”