GPLP: Dante's Inferno

Graham & Paul Let's Play: Watch them play awful games.
Graham
Super Moderator

Re: GPLP: Dante's Inferno

Postby Graham » 28 Oct 2011, 22:37

The plan currently is: Weekdays!
MetricFurlong
First Video: Phone Manner

Postby MetricFurlong » 29 Oct 2011, 01:31

Wait, if the judgement takes place on the far side of the river, what are all those guys doing in the walls on the doing on the first bank? Are they shipped back across after or something?

Pigmy Wurm wrote:great episode, definitely worth the wait.

Oh and Orpheus was a hero, which for the greeks was similar to being a saint. I mean he was an awesome musician (he out-sang the sirens and could control animals with music) he could see the future and he had the balls to just walk into hell and get his wife back. Sure he messed up in the end but most people who tried that were lucky to make it out alive.

Yeah... not really seeing why he'd be stuck in Hell.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 29 Oct 2011, 02:03

MetricFurlong wrote:Wait, if the judgement takes place on the far side of the river, what are all those guys doing in the walls on the doing on the first bank? Are they shipped back across after or something?

You appear to be assuming some sort of logic and consistency with this game...
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
dackwards d
First Video: The Job

Postby dackwards d » 29 Oct 2011, 03:09

MetricFurlong wrote:Wait, if the judgement takes place on the far side of the river, what are all those guys doing in the walls on the doing on the first bank? Are they shipped back across after or something?

Pigmy Wurm wrote:great episode, definitely worth the wait.

Oh and Orpheus was a hero, which for the greeks was similar to being a saint. I mean he was an awesome musician (he out-sang the sirens and could control animals with music) he could see the future and he had the balls to just walk into hell and get his wife back. Sure he messed up in the end but most people who tried that were lucky to make it out alive.

Yeah... not really seeing why he'd be stuck in Hell.

I doubt he was there for any other reason than "we did a google search for mythological characters related to hell/hades/orcus/france and his name came up."
ImageImage
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 29 Oct 2011, 05:58

having greek and roman mythological figures in the first parts of hell works because, as brad has said, unbaptised people couldn't go to heaven, so they went to limbo, which is basically the cool part of hell. I'm not sure why they are portrayed as suffering, given that Limbo is supposed to be the nice bit.

In Greek Mythology, you could only get ferried across the river if you have the requisite 2 obels for charon. This tended to symbolise burial, which is incredibly important to the Greeks. Unburied people would thus be confined to the near bank of the river, unable to cross and get into Hades (which was mostly a nice enough place, unless you were an evil bastard). They should really be suffering more than the people in Limbo.

Electra was the daughter of Agamemnon. She (in some versions of the story) helped Orestes avenge the murder of their father at the hands of their mother and Aegisthus, with whom their mother had an affair. Orestes was plagued by the furies for matricide (which was seen as a heinous crime). Electra mostly hung around and helped Orestes out for a bit. She's an odd choice to put in the game, but then, that assumed the game actually makes sense...
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Drdiggit42
First Video: Bagel Time

Postby Drdiggit42 » 29 Oct 2011, 06:31

Before this game came out I read the Divine Comedy, which is Inferno, Purgatory, and Paradise. I did read it in English and out of poem form but it was still a hard read. I got to wondering if visceral ever intented to make a game for purgatory and paradise. If they did they'd both be pretty boring. As purgatory in the book was( as i interpreted it) Dante and Virgil climbing up a mountain to reach heaven. And paradise was basically Beatrice giving Dante a tour of heaven. But I would like to see the part where Dante and Virgil reach Heaven, and Virgil is like "Hey, uh, I brought Dante here can I come in too?" And Beatrice is like "Nope. Go back to hell."

I guess purgatory could become a knock of of Catherine with the climbing of a falling block tower and visceral could loosen their moral standards a little more and have Dante massacre heaven.
All problems can be solved by trebuchets and/or fire.

When you're a pessimist there are only good surprises.

Steam ID - DrDiggit42(Currently: Indignity: ■■■■■) Add me if you like.
Jaebird
First Video: The LHC

Postby Jaebird » 29 Oct 2011, 07:37

Drdiggit42 wrote:Before this game came out I read the Divine Comedy, which is Inferno, Purgatory, and Paradise. I did read it in English and out of poem form but it was still a hard read. I got to wondering if visceral ever intented to make a game for purgatory and paradise. If they did they'd both be pretty boring. As purgatory in the book was( as i interpreted it) Dante and Virgil climbing up a mountain to reach heaven. And paradise was basically Beatrice giving Dante a tour of heaven. But I would like to see the part where Dante and Virgil reach Heaven, and Virgil is like "Hey, uh, I brought Dante here can I come in too?" And Beatrice is like "Nope. Go back to hell."

I guess purgatory could become a knock of of Catherine with the climbing of a falling block tower and visceral could loosen their moral standards a little more and have Dante massacre heaven.

The ending of Dante's Inferno does leave off with a sequel-bait: As Dante is walking out of cave, and sees Purgatory in the distance, he rips off his tapestry that he sewn to his chest. The tapestry had become burnt (for some reason or another) and as it floats to the ground, it turns to dust...then a snake! And it ends with Lucifer laughing.

I can honestly see how Visceral can go about justifying a sequel in the forms of Purgatory and Paradise: They'll end up being more rip-offs of God of War 2 and 3, complete with a cliffhanger in between the two.
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Open for commissions.)
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 29 Oct 2011, 07:37

Visceral have moral standards?

pokute
First Video: Phailhaüs

Postby pokute » 29 Oct 2011, 12:35

Angry sheep? How about Angry Birds in Dante's Inferno?
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 29 Oct 2011, 13:50

Wait wait wait wait wait...

Is it just me, or does the seated statue in the middle of the path at 18:35 (Episode 3) have a stovepipe hat? It looks like the guys who made the Washington Monument were a little shaky on their US presidents and made one of Lincoln first before someone could point out their mistake.

And then Statue Lincoln went to Hell. In the Middle Ages.
Jaebird

Postby Jaebird » 29 Oct 2011, 14:32

Fun fact about the unbaptized babies in this game: The developers mo-capped their kids. Isn't that nice?

Edit: One more fun fact: What was suppose to have been the Dark Forest segment, where Dante meets the three beasts, as Brad mentioned, was cut from the final product (I think). It was then added on later as DLC, but it was very underwhelming. It looked like it was still in the beta phase, and it didn't last for very long. I seemed to recall that it focused more on puzzles, as you chased after the guy who stabbed Dante in the back from the beginning of the game.
WAYF
First Video: Unskippable: The Getaway

Postby WAYF » 29 Oct 2011, 15:09

"Kame-Hame-CHRIST!" made me laugh so hard. :D
"My favourite song is 'Girl Panic!'... because girls make me panic... in a good way!"
- Simon Le Bon.
dackwards d
First Video: The Job

Postby dackwards d » 29 Oct 2011, 15:45

Jaebird wrote:
Drdiggit42 wrote:Before this game came out I read the Divine Comedy, which is Inferno, Purgatory, and Paradise. I did read it in English and out of poem form but it was still a hard read. I got to wondering if visceral ever intented to make a game for purgatory and paradise. If they did they'd both be pretty boring. As purgatory in the book was( as i interpreted it) Dante and Virgil climbing up a mountain to reach heaven. And paradise was basically Beatrice giving Dante a tour of heaven. But I would like to see the part where Dante and Virgil reach Heaven, and Virgil is like "Hey, uh, I brought Dante here can I come in too?" And Beatrice is like "Nope. Go back to hell."

The ending of Dante's Inferno does leave off with a sequel-bait: As Dante is walking out of cave, and sees Purgatory in the distance, he rips off his tapestry that he sewn to his chest. The tapestry had become burnt (for some reason or another) and as it floats to the ground, it turns to dust...then a snake! And it ends with Lucifer laughing.

I can honestly see how Visceral can go about justifying a sequel in the forms of Purgatory and Paradise: They'll end up being more rip-offs of God of War 2 and 3, complete with a cliffhanger in between the two.

What they are planning on doing, and this is official insider knowledge I swear is: since Inferno was such a successfful GoW clone, they will keep to the pattern. Purgatory, as formerly suggested, will be a rip off of Catherine, and the finale in Paradise will, obviously, steal shamelessly from Portal 2. You heard it here first folks!
ImageImage
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 30 Oct 2011, 09:48

If I were them and had to do a sequel, I'd make it about the whole "murdering death" thing upsetting the balence of the cosmos, and Dante having to find a way to fix that.
chif-ii
First Video: Every OS sucks

Postby chif-ii » 30 Oct 2011, 14:29

Jaebird wrote:Fun fact about the unbaptized babies in this game: The developers mo-capped their kids. Isn't that nice?

Wha...I...I...

I'm not sure what's sadder - that someone could think of doing that, that someone went ahead and did it, or the fact that I have no problem believing that someone actually mo-captured their own children, then edited the models so that the virtual babies had scythes for forelimbs and tried to kill you with said metal arms.
Last edited by chif-ii on 01 Nov 2011, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 30 Oct 2011, 15:05

So good wholesome family entertainment then...

kais58

Postby kais58 » 30 Oct 2011, 17:15

NEED MOAR!!!!!

Pretty good so far guys :)
EikoandMog
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby EikoandMog » 31 Oct 2011, 03:41

I have to admit, finding Charon's head like that would have been VERY awkward. I'm glad someone is playing this game so I don't have to.
Jaebird

Postby Jaebird » 31 Oct 2011, 07:18

EikoandMog wrote:I have to admit, finding Charon's head like that would have been VERY awkward. I'm glad someone is playing this game so I don't have to.

I was "slightly raising my voice" at the monitor, trying to tell Graham to interact with the head, which you can do for an achievement.
EnigmaHarper
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby EnigmaHarper » 31 Oct 2011, 08:41

I tried playing this game, but got as far as gluttony and had to stop out of the sheer pain it was causing me. I study mythology and it was all oh so wrong.

Anyway... I'm glad you guys are playing it so I can see what happens without breaking my console and television... I found it rather controller smashing.
Anyone: Would you kindly <insert request> ?
Me: Great, now I can't refuse.
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 31 Oct 2011, 15:14

chif-ii wrote:
Jaebird wrote:Fun fact about the unbaptized babies in this game: The developers mo-capped their kids. Isn't that nice?

Wha...I...I...

THE FUCK?

I'm not sure what's sadder - that someone could think of doing that, that someone went ahead and did it, or the fact that I have no problem believing that someone actually mo-captured their own children, then edited the models so that the virtual babies had scythes for forelimbs and tried to kill you with said metal arms.

maybe the models weren't edited, did you think of that!
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
EikoandMog
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby EikoandMog » 31 Oct 2011, 23:27

Rikadyn wrote:
chif-ii wrote:

Wha...I...I...

THE FUCK?

To be honest, I don't really have that much of a problem with it. The kids would love to do mocap knowing that it's for a game and it'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than getting an actor in to do it. Let's face it, you're going to need that mocap wither way.

Say you're 7 or something and mommy or daddy asks you to help them make their video game? You'd say yes before your brain even processed exactly what he asked. So you get your mocap without hiring an actor and your kids get to say they helped make a game. Win/win.
Jaebird

Postby Jaebird » 01 Nov 2011, 06:26

EikoandMog wrote:To be honest, I don't really have that much of a problem with it. The kids would love to do mocap knowing that it's for a game and it'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than getting an actor in to do it. Let's face it, you're going to need that mocap wither way.

Say you're 7 or something and mommy or daddy asks you to help them make their video game? You'd say yes before your brain even processed exactly what he asked. So you get your mocap without hiring an actor and your kids get to say they helped make a game. Win/win.

Did I forget to mention that the kid (correcting myself, as it was one child) they mo-capped was a toddler?

http://youtu.be/DUcAIxDSPuU
chif-ii
First Video: Every OS sucks

Postby chif-ii » 01 Nov 2011, 09:28

EikoandMog wrote:
Rikadyn wrote:
chif-ii wrote:Wha...I...I...

THE FUCK?

To be honest, I don't really have that much of a problem with it. The kids would love to do mocap knowing that it's for a game and it'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than getting an actor in to do it. Let's face it, you're going to need that mocap wither way.

I...I don't know, it just seemed f***ed up to me.

Also, in the book, Minos is supposed to look like the Minotaur
ImageImage
Drdiggit42
First Video: Bagel Time

Postby Drdiggit42 » 01 Nov 2011, 09:47

In Greek mythology Minos was supposed to sacrifice his finest bull to Poseidon every so often(I don't remember). Well he raised one that was so magnificent he decided to sacrifice a lesser bull instead. Poseidon found out and put some kind of spell on Minos's wife so she became lustful for the bull. She then gave birth to the Minotaur who I think was banished to the labyrinth.
All problems can be solved by trebuchets and/or fire.

When you're a pessimist there are only good surprises.

Steam ID - DrDiggit42(Currently: Indignity: ■■■■■) Add me if you like.

Return to “GPLP”