GPLP: X-Men Destiny

Graham & Paul Let's Play: Watch them play awful games.
Havok4
First Video: The first Unskippable

Re: GPLP: X-Men Destiny

Postby Havok4 » 20 Mar 2012, 18:11

This looks like one of the dullest cookie cutter action adventure game I have ever seen. Good job keeping your levity throughout all of it.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 20 Mar 2012, 20:26

chif-ii wrote:Can you test something out? When it displays the "10 enemies remaining" thing on the screen, can you interact with it? There's been a couple of times where Graham's punched it accidentally and it shattered, so I'm wondering if that's something you can actually do or if my eyes are playing tricks on me.
In later episodes I start doing that intentionally, at the suggestion of someone else on the forums.
Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Postby Under_Score » 20 Mar 2012, 21:09

So, let me get this straight... half the mutants have abilities that allow you to sprint? Somehow, Quicksilver doesn't seem so special now.
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 20 Mar 2012, 21:17

Oh my GOD, why is everyone in this game such a tool?!
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
headband
First Video: Decadent Sports League

Postby headband » 20 Mar 2012, 21:44

Hey, I remember Surge. Used to read New X-Men a lot (until the whole House of M fiasco when an entire bus of depowered kids get blown up by a missle).
Indy_S
First Video: Garagellenium

Postby Indy_S » 20 Mar 2012, 22:37

I figured I'll have a go at the mutants this time:

SURGE:
Name: Noriko Ashida
Nationality: Japanese
Affiliation: X-Men, New Mutants Squad
Powers: Able to absorb and redirect electricity. Her gloves control both intake and discharge.

COLOSSUS:
Name: Piotr Rasputin
Nationality: Russian
Affiliation: X-Men
Powers: Able to transform into steel, superhuman strength.

JOHN SUBLIME:
Name: Sublime
Nationality: From Earth
Affiliation: Weapon Plus, U-Men, MegaCorp.
Powers: Sentient bacteria capable of possessing other sentient beings. Some mutants are immune to Sublime.
I wonder what life would be like if dinosaurs fought aliens for the safety of Mongolia. Somebody make this movie.
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 20 Mar 2012, 22:57

Oh geez, Graham mentioned Cold in the D.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 21 Mar 2012, 00:39

I know it's pretty clear from the context, but since Graham seemed momentarily confused and/or curious about it... "tovarishch" means "friend". Or, if you want to be stereotypical (and, let's face it, this game does), "comrade".

I love the bit near the end of the bit 100-guy fight (also: Seriously? That's how they make a big dramatic fight? The same as every other fight, but "moar doods"? Sigh...), Graham's all like "OK, so here I: punch, then punch..." like he's being careful to strategise it properly, being careful not to misplay anything... (at about 29:55... obviously I'm dramatising somewhat.)
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
SirCannonFodder
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby SirCannonFodder » 21 Mar 2012, 02:39

You know, even though the diamond skin is more useful and solves the whole "every costume looks shitty" problem, it is nowhere near as much fun as seeing all those enemies being sent flying around screaming.
Grescheks
First Video: Snakes on the Town

Postby Grescheks » 21 Mar 2012, 11:29

Did anyone else notice that one of the last X-Genes that they got was the much-anticipated "Quicksilver Utility"? Maybe we'll finally get to see if it's in any way different than the two other sprinting genes they already have (my prediction: it isn't)!
dackwards d
First Video: The Job

Postby dackwards d » 21 Mar 2012, 12:06

From what I can tell the abilities are all the same, its just what abilities you get when you level them that's different. For example, Gambit, Quicksilver and Northstar's utilities are all superspeed, but at level two Gambits also charges you up quicker whereas Northstar's one makes you Canadian.
ImageImage
Nirvana
First Video: Unskippable 01 - Lost Planet

Postby Nirvana » 21 Mar 2012, 14:58

I have mentally titled this episode "X-Men in D-Minor".

One of these days, you would think when designing an evil super lair it would occur to them to place the power generator for the force fields somewhere OTHER then in the corrider you are trapping people in.
Check out my weekly WWE RAW reviews at http://www.RingsideAcademy.com
The Tortured Soul

Postby The Tortured Soul » 21 Mar 2012, 21:25

dackwards d wrote:From what I can tell the abilities are all the same, its just what abilities you get when you level them that's different. For example, Gambit, Quicksilver and Northstar's utilities are all superspeed, but at level two Gambits also charges you up quicker whereas Northstar's one makes you Canadian.

Dammit that's exactly what I thought... Yeah there are a few base powers but their claim of X number of Mutant powers is the unique upgrades from those base powers.

Like Quicksilver (at a guess from me) will be the same base speed power but his 3 upgrades purely upgrade that speed boost.

Also watching this made me interested in playing it... mostly because I'm curious about the other characters and powers. So I briefly looked up how the Wii version looks (because that's all I have) and as with other Wii versions it does seem like a totally different game, same plot but different level design and looks like arse! (Also the cut scenes are just sideshows, like in that Jumper game!)

So in the back of my head it's made me consider getting a 360 at some point, but I'll probably just try to find lets plays of the other characters with other powers of the 360 version!
posting... in england.

Reality is subjective and insanity is just a point of view

• Step 10 ???
  • Step 11 Profit
  • Step 12 Podcast
  • Step 13 Huff a Dong!
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 21 Mar 2012, 23:17

The Tortured Soul wrote:Yeah there are a few base powers but their claim of X number of Mutant powers is the unique upgrades from those base powers.

Probably not that either - the upgrades are probably just selected from a small pool too. The different mutant powers just being different combinations of mixing and matching those upgrades.

[edit] Yeah, looking at the list... there are quite a few defensive genes where an upgrade is "your M-Power regenerates more quickly in combat", or "additional bars added to M-Power meter"... there are some unique ones, but most of them are just mix-and-match.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 23 Mar 2012, 07:41

I keep getting mad when you guys miss something and want to tell you to go back, then I remember these were filmed weeks ago.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Cho_J
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby Cho_J » 23 Mar 2012, 13:11

I'm having so much fun watching you guys mess around with the X-genes, looking for actually interesting/useful ones. It's almost as much fun as watching you pick apart the stupidity of the game in general! Seriously, I love how helping save mutants with Surge was specifically an X-men thing, because as we all know, the Brotherhood is against helping and uniting mutants against those trying to destroy them. XD

P.S. Anyone else bothered that Surge tells Chad not to call her sweetheart, then says nothing about his calling her "sweet... thing" in a sad attempt at a cover-up that he still doesn't respect her at all? Le sigh.
-Cho
Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Postby Under_Score » 23 Mar 2012, 13:16

I'm more disturbed that /no one/ said /anything/ about him asking if she was single with her standing right there.

Also, Gambit is a ninja.
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 23 Mar 2012, 13:17

No, Chad still respects her, he just wants her body at the same time. Also, I think you guys can go upgrade your punches in the mutant power menu for another major combo.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
chif-ii
First Video: Every OS sucks

Postby chif-ii » 23 Mar 2012, 13:25

dackwards d wrote:From what I can tell the abilities are all the same, its just what abilities you get when you level them that's different. For example, Gambit, Quicksilver and Northstar's utilities are all superspeed, but at level two Gambits also charges you up quicker whereas Northstar's one makes you Canadian.

I was going to say gay, but MOVING ON!

Anyone notice how, right after Wolverine said "you have to tell Summers (ie, Cyclops) what we found here", he ran out the exit and trapped Chad inside the room with no way to communicate with the X-men and no way out?
ImageImage
Cho_J

Postby Cho_J » 23 Mar 2012, 13:47

chetoos wrote:No, Chad still respects her, he just wants her body at the same time. Also, I think you guys can go upgrade your punches in the mutant power menu for another major combo.

Yeeeeeah I'm gonna go ahead and say you don't respect someone if you are so focused on wanting to do them that you treat them like less of a person.

Also, good point, Under_Score! Forgot about that one.
-Cho
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 23 Mar 2012, 13:50

For what it's worth, I interpreted that as Chad trying to BE respectful and overcome his hard-wired frat-boy mentally by obliging her request. OR, he could just be a dick.

But the game is trying really hard to make him seem "righteous" or something...
Cho_J

Postby Cho_J » 23 Mar 2012, 14:07

Graham wrote:For what it's worth, I interpreted that as Chad trying to BE respectful and overcome his hard-wired frat-boy mentally by obliging her request. OR, he could just be a dick.

But the game is trying really hard to make him seem "righteous" or something...

Haha, I think it was a little of both. He's a dick, and part of that is having that hard-wired mentality, but he did his best to try not to be a dick for a few brief moments.

But I agree, doesn't excuse the game treating him like a good/"righteous" guy. Of course, the game also doesn't understand how to differentiate between X-men and the Brotherhood either, so XD. They're just bad at this. :roll:
-Cho
Grescheks
First Video: Snakes on the Town

Postby Grescheks » 23 Mar 2012, 14:13

I had a terrible thought while watching this...what if there's an Emma Frost costume? *shudders*
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 23 Mar 2012, 14:17

There is no good outcome for Chad with an Emma Frost costume.

Some of those I'd be hard-pressed to even call "lingerie."
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 23 Mar 2012, 14:18

"Hmm, I suddenly appear to have acquired the power to make my enemies throw up..."
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis

Return to “GPLP”