GPLP: X-Men Destiny

Graham & Paul Let's Play: Watch them play awful games.
svendrex
First Video: 1337

Re: GPLP: X-Men Destiny

Postby svendrex » 19 Apr 2012, 12:11

Since Chad has Density powers, it totally makes sense that he can float. He just makes himself left dense and he floats like a balloon.
Jaebird
First Video: The LHC

Postby Jaebird » 19 Apr 2012, 12:57

svendrex wrote:Since Chad has Density powers, it totally makes sense that he can float. He just makes himself left dense and he floats like a balloon.

This is actually plausible, within the context of comic book superheroes. I wish I can name off actual characters with density controlling abilities, but none come to mind, sadly. I can only go to characters like the Martian Manhunter and the Vision, who can adjust the density of their own bodies.
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Open for commissions.)
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 19 Apr 2012, 13:04

Seems like all of these people have density manipulation powers, and also Kitty Pryde.
vxicepickxv
First Video: The Job

Postby vxicepickxv » 19 Apr 2012, 18:12

Wow, a pair of LP sessions where it shows the developers don't know how to read a wiki. Pixie's teleportation powers aren't mutant in nature. They're magical.

Although if the dampener is built to suppress magic and mutant powers, it would explain why they're so fragile. You can't build something that small that would drain that much energy without having to cut some corners somewhere. I guess this is how the meeting went.

1. Suppress mutant powers
2. Suppress magical ability
3. Durable
4. Man portable.

Okay, now pick 3.
Friend:Umm, I saw a cat and started clicking...
Me:You have made an accurate summary of the internet.
svendrex
First Video: 1337

Postby svendrex » 19 Apr 2012, 18:21

Jaebird wrote:This is actually plausible, within the context of comic book superheroes. I wish I can name off actual characters with density controlling abilities, but none come to mind, sadly. I can only go to characters like the Martian Manhunter and the Vision, who can adjust the density of their own bodies.

It does not however explain how he propels himself forward while floating.

The only thing that comes to mind is some kind of rocket-like effect by somehow flinging super dense particles behind him, similar to the "obsidian shards" ability. Something like that only instead of fist sized rocks, he shoots off dust sized black holes.
Jaebird

Postby Jaebird » 19 Apr 2012, 19:25

svendrex wrote:
Jaebird wrote:This is actually plausible, within the context of comic book superheroes. I wish I can name off actual characters with density controlling abilities, but none come to mind, sadly. I can only go to characters like the Martian Manhunter and the Vision, who can adjust the density of their own bodies.

It does not however explain how he propels himself forward while floating.

The only thing that comes to mind is some kind of rocket-like effect by somehow flinging super dense particles behind him, similar to the "obsidian shards" ability. Something like that only instead of fist sized rocks, he shoots off dust sized black holes.

Well, no one has yet to explain how Superman can fly, either. It's just one of those things you accept at face value.
Jaebird

Postby Jaebird » 19 Apr 2012, 20:31

vxicepickxv wrote:Wow, a pair of LP sessions where it shows the developers don't know how to read a wiki. Pixie's teleportation powers aren't mutant in nature. They're magical.

Although if the dampener is built to suppress magic and mutant powers, it would explain why they're so fragile. You can't build something that small that would drain that much energy without having to cut some corners somewhere. I guess this is how the meeting went.

1. Suppress mutant powers
2. Suppress magical ability
3. Durable
4. Man portable.

Okay, now pick 3.

That's something that always bugged me with Marvel's mutants. You could have characters who would either have an affinity and discipline for learning magic, or they would just be a mutant. I just see it as an anti-climactic origin.
Pigmy Wurm

Postby Pigmy Wurm » 20 Apr 2012, 11:02

Okay, so you'd think if someone was trying to frame cyclops they would at least fire the beam at the helicopter from ground level, even if you weren't standing next to him it would have been suspicions since it appeared to have come from the sky. And I really don't get Magnito's character in this. He has almost always been willing to join with the X-men to fight Sentinels and the like, and he is usually pretty smart, I can't see him being tricked this easily.

On a game play note, I'm not sure how much further ahead in the game you are, but since you got the bolder of doom attack you tend to use your X-power (or whatever it's called) a lot more and thus Emma Frost's power doesn't do a whole lot, I'd look for another defensive power to switch to.
Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Postby Under_Score » 20 Apr 2012, 12:14

Well, we've already attributed Magneto's picking up a bridge and later dropping said bridge to senility, so perhaps he's just not entirely there anymore. Or maybe he was actually possessed by Bastion/Reyes after the fight that killed Professor X (since I doubt he was able to keep his helmet on that whole time). Wait, that's far too plausible, isn't it.
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)
Jaebird

Postby Jaebird » 20 Apr 2012, 12:40

Just call it horrible writing, and move on.
CaptainSpam
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby CaptainSpam » 20 Apr 2012, 12:44

Under_Score wrote:Well, we've already attributed Magneto's picking up a bridge and later dropping said bridge to senility, so perhaps he's just not entirely there anymore. Or maybe he was actually possessed by Bastion/Reyes after the fight that killed Professor X (since I doubt he was able to keep his helmet on that whole time). Wait, that's far too plausible, isn't it.

This has suddenly gone from a mediocre licensed brawler to a pretty dark deconstruction of the X-Men universe.
Pigmy Wurm

Postby Pigmy Wurm » 20 Apr 2012, 19:59

one other thing that's bothering me. The further and further you get in the game the more it seems likely that they aren't even going to try to explain the mutant powers that you are randomly picking up.
Bacon
First Video: Unskippable lost planet

Postby Bacon » 20 Apr 2012, 23:21

Pigmy Wurm wrote:one other thing that's bothering me. The further and further you get in the game the more it seems likely that they aren't even going to try to explain the mutant powers that you are randomly picking up.

Radioactive mosquitoes that feasted on the other mutants threw up in your veins? It's all a dream? This is Xavier thinking what life would be like without him and that even after years helping mutants, noone has given him a 'world's greatest telepath' mug?

At this point, the game to me is seeming more like a crappy sequel to a game that the developers never bothered to make.
Vigafre

Postby Vigafre » 21 Apr 2012, 08:02

I just figured the X-genes were being thrown around by the U-men.
The Tortured Soul

Postby The Tortured Soul » 21 Apr 2012, 09:05

Didn't they say at the start of the game that it already WAS set in a post-apocalyptic crater from after the event pre-game that killed Proffesor-X.

So all that damage wasn't just done after the event in the first cutscene, though that probably didn't help.
posting... in england.

Reality is subjective and insanity is just a point of view

• Step 10 ???
  • Step 11 Profit
  • Step 12 Podcast
  • Step 13 Huff a Dong!
Vigafre

Postby Vigafre » 21 Apr 2012, 09:20

Seems you are right. They were talking over the part that mentioned it in the LP.
The Architect
First Video: Unskippable

Postby The Architect » 21 Apr 2012, 11:16

But I thought Professor X was killed at the Xavier Institute, which is in New York state and X-Men: Density takes place in San Francisco.
Vigafre

Postby Vigafre » 21 Apr 2012, 11:48

I...probably should have watched the whole opening before I said anything. Here's the opening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNlnETHbM7k

It's kinda vague about the location of the natural disasters. Didn't say anything about what happened during the Bastion fight. I probably missed something else somewhere.
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 23 Apr 2012, 08:56

Episode 11!

Sorry this episode is a little short, the game kinda crashed and we had to stop. No worries, though all our progress was saved.
Lancer
First Video: Cash Cats

Postby Lancer » 23 Apr 2012, 09:39

I just realized, since choosing the Brotherhood made you fight hypnotized brotherhood characters, choosing the X-Men might have been the only way you'd get to punch Cyclops.
Bacon
First Video: Unskippable lost planet

Postby Bacon » 23 Apr 2012, 10:30

Lancer wrote:I just realized, since choosing the Brotherhood made you fight hypnotized brotherhood characters, choosing the X-Men might have been the only way you'd get to punch Cyclops.

I get the feeling that you would just fight the Brotherhood guys, once whilst they were hypnotised then once as a regular fight. Why would they start giving you meaningful choices now?
Alex the Man
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Alex the Man » 23 Apr 2012, 12:47

Wow, Silicon Knights isn't even trying to challenge you anymore. First they give you the ability yo turn into a boulder, which was already incredibly overpowered, and now you can turn into a giant?! What the hell, guys? Alright, I won't complain if they make another Eternal Darkness game, which they probably won't.
ecks
First Video: The one where I can't remember

Postby ecks » 23 Apr 2012, 14:17

To be fair, they are playing on easy.
Jakale
First Video: The Job

Postby Jakale » 23 Apr 2012, 15:55

Lancer wrote:I just realized, since choosing the Brotherhood made you fight hypnotized brotherhood characters, choosing the X-Men might have been the only way you'd get to punch Cyclops.

Probably not. I doubt Cyclops would be any more willing to follow you to the end boss than Magneto was. You'd probably run into Avalanche or some other X-men who we really haven't seen since the beginning.
House MD
First Video: Cronologically in LRR's timeline or mine
Location: Chester, it's like where I used to live, but more northern.

Postby House MD » 23 Apr 2012, 16:07

Hey froods. Been loving it so far. Moar updates please, it's the only thing keeping me sane right now.

Seriously, i lost my job on saturday been re watching the first 2 GPLP's and have now started on X-Men again.
I am the physical manifestation of the Phailhaus. SO much so, my friends call me it.

Return to “GPLP”