GPLP: X-Men Destiny

Graham & Paul Let's Play: Watch them play awful games.
Jakale
First Video: The Job

Re: GPLP: X-Men Destiny

Postby Jakale » 01 Apr 2012, 12:24

Fayili wrote:No, I know, but if it was a stopgap measure it means they weren't really expecting people to use up the options that quickly, which pretty much means they weren't expecting completionists. Which is silly.

I agree with a lot of your points, but I think that, rather than assuming there won't be completionists, they kinda knew that their challenge missions had some issues, like the failed one we saw in the last vid. Couple that with the decision to make them non replayable and you suddenly need to make sure there are more than enough chances to get the powers they slotted for a given set.

Giving them a mild benefit of the doubt about why they had sets of powers, and not just the whole shebang randomized for each opportunity, means they might have set it up to bring down the chance of people getting all the costumes and no powers or some other unlikely occurrence. They probably could have done it better, but I'm not really sure how much they cared, and that might have been more work than they were willing to put into the power provision mechanic.
SubtleMockery
First Video: Unskippable? One of them. I forget which

Postby SubtleMockery » 04 Apr 2012, 05:55

I love that Chad Football, the mutant of many powers, is voiced by Milo Ventimiglia of Heroes fame.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 04 Apr 2012, 07:51

I really do think they saved some of the smarter mooks for that failed challenge arena:

"Listen guys... he keeps killing us. Like every time... on a scale that defies imagination. They gave us piddly stun batons and molotov's to attack someone LITERALLY MADE OF DIAMOND. Why don't we all wait here, let him do his thing, and live for a few more years?"

I also think that dudes pulse rifle causes brain damage, as every time it bounces back at him he seems to forget that it happened and tries again.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 04 Apr 2012, 10:08

Episode 9 online!

HERE!
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 04 Apr 2012, 12:25

Heh... I like the idea of using Pixie abilities as an excuse for bad modeling for characters entrances and exits:

"Why did that guy just run through a wall?"

"Clearly he was using Pixies abilities"

"But my guy just warped to a new level for no reason"

"Listen, Pixie had that kind of effect alright?"

"I can't even jump off a ledge withou-"

"FUCKING PIXIE DID IT!"
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Postby Under_Score » 04 Apr 2012, 13:16

I really like the fake out of making it look like you'd have to climb up that building only to have Nightcrawler teleport you anyways.
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 04 Apr 2012, 15:07

POWER? LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT POWER, BROTHER.

Edit: I fail at Hulk Hogan.
Last edited by Vigafre on 04 Apr 2012, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
Jakale

Postby Jakale » 04 Apr 2012, 15:30

It's funny how we keep getting more and more like Juggernaut. Now we've got the power to literally bowl things over.
CaptainSpam
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby CaptainSpam » 04 Apr 2012, 15:59

Ah, Mister Wilhelm. You have a nasty habit of surviving...

It's looking like the subtitle writers got lazier and lazier as the game went on. It'd be hilarious if by the end of the game, you had a completely different story being told in the subtitles than what was being spoken. Like, different characterizations and everything.

Or maybe if the subtitles started subtly hinting that the writers were getting more and more unpaid overtime as deadlines approached. I mean, it'd be sad and sort of creepy, too, but it'd be great if the last line in the game was "You can take this subtitle writing job and shove it, Kotick" and nobody caught it until after release.
Pigmy Wurm

Postby Pigmy Wurm » 04 Apr 2012, 18:21

am I the only one who thought the guys new suit of armor looked like Iron man's from the upcoming avengers movie on steroids? That would be an interesting development.
Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Postby Under_Score » 04 Apr 2012, 20:41

You know, considering the Marvel universe, it seems highly plausible that Stark Industries did contribute some technology to sentinels.
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)
Lancer
First Video: Cash Cats

Postby Lancer » 04 Apr 2012, 20:55

I'm just wishing Deadpool would make an appearance now... That could potentially make this game not-suck.
Jaebird
First Video: The LHC

Postby Jaebird » 04 Apr 2012, 21:23

Man, that dialogue exchange with Juggernaut was pretty silly. I haven't read many comics with Juggernaut, but I'm willing to bet that he's been dumb down considerably in this game.

The only story I've read with him in it was from Amazing Spider-Man from a year or two ago, and he wasn't anything like this. It was a really good story and very fun, too. If anyone's curious, it's called, "Something Can Stop the Juggernaut." (Amazing Spider-Man #627-629)
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Open for commissions.)
Yeti
First Video: Unskippable 01 - Lost Planet

Postby Yeti » 05 Apr 2012, 03:45

Have anyone noticed that while Chad is standing @5:30 it looks like he really have to pee?
Tensen01
Sketchasaurus Rex
First Video: Who Watches Movies?

Postby Tensen01 » 06 Apr 2012, 03:11

CaptainSpam
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby CaptainSpam » 06 Apr 2012, 07:27

Suddenly, I'm sort of morbidly curious as to how Chad Backpack's dialogue is any different from Chad Football's. If it significantly is at all.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 06 Apr 2012, 08:16

Under_Score wrote:You know, considering the Marvel universe, it seems highly plausible that Stark Industries did contribute some technology to sentinels.

IIRC, Sentinels have Stark-tech in them. I may be mistaken.
unknowngamer

Postby unknowngamer » 07 Apr 2012, 01:30

Was I the only who started humming the Katamari Damacy theme when Chad started rolling around in the boulder?
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 08 Apr 2012, 11:10

unknowngamer wrote:Was I the only who started humming the Katamari Damacy theme when Chad started rolling around in the boulder?

Eenope. :)
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Bacon
First Video: Unskippable lost planet

Postby Bacon » 08 Apr 2012, 12:19

Pigmy Wurm wrote:am I the only one who thought the guys new suit of armor looked like Iron man's from the upcoming avengers movie on steroids? That would be an interesting development.

Or the Hulk-buster armour? It could be the Jug-buster armour in the X-Men Universe.
chif-ii
First Video: Every OS sucks

Postby chif-ii » 09 Apr 2012, 09:02

Hey, watching episode 8/Chad getting the crap kicked out of him by a stomping robot (~20 minutes). I think the way you're supposed to go at him is to run away from him and get him to start shooting at you. Then, you can run around and start hitting his legs until he goes down.

One comment I feel I must make on the Stalkers; if you're going to make an autonomous mech, and its one weakness is its legs, I feel that programming the mech to step on everyone that gets close to it is a pretty good defense mechanism.
ImageImage
CorruptCor3

Postby CorruptCor3 » 13 Apr 2012, 08:48

Gaaahhh! Where is p10? GPLP is a vacant hole in my life right now! And, yes this is my first post; off to a great start by bitching about release times...
Bacon
First Video: Unskippable lost planet

Postby Bacon » 13 Apr 2012, 15:24

Probably something to do with PAX? Hopefully it'll go up over the weekend. If not then at least we get two episodes next week!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 13 Apr 2012, 17:23

There shall be more soon!
Sorry for the delay.
Cho_J
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby Cho_J » 14 Apr 2012, 15:21

Do you guys know how many eps of this game you plan to do? Are you gonna play the whole thing through, or stop when you get beyond annoyed like with Venetica/Legaia 2? (I know I'd be psyched to find out where the hell this plot is going, but you guys shouldn't suffer too much XD)
-Cho

Return to “GPLP”