TTC 98 - Magic Origins Nicknames

Discuss our latest podcast about Magic: The Gathering.
James
LRR Crew

TTC 98 - Magic Origins Nicknames

Postby James » 23 Aug 2015, 13:55

This week on TTC join Alex, Cam, and Graham as they venture into the highly requested Magic Origins Nicknames episode.

Support this show (and other things!): http://Patreon.com/loadingreadyrun
Lacerta
Affable Marmot
First Video: How to Talk Like A Pirate

Re: TTC 98 - Magic Origins Nicknames

Postby Lacerta » 23 Aug 2015, 16:59

You missed the best nickname for Pia and Kiran Nalaar: "Helicopter Parents"
semper fidelis tyrannosaurus
Dedwrekka
First Video: That one with Graham in it.

Postby Dedwrekka » 23 Aug 2015, 18:09

Dwynen is probably derived from Daoine. The Daoine Sidhe are the fairy or elf people who live in the mounds in Ireland.
Also they use some semi-gaelic words for some things like "Daen"
Omega00024
First Video: Eye Witness

Postby Omega00024 » 23 Aug 2015, 22:47

Now...I don't know why (always a good start), but the card Rhox Maulers has become Detective Roc Smallers [on the case]. Again, god help me if I knew why that's what came up as a nickname for it, but there you go: just another goofy nickname to add to the pile.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 23 Aug 2015, 22:52

Braak. Putting this in the right thread...
Heh. Bruce was my one, and I created it by exactly the method they showed here: Stumbling over my words to say "Boggart Bruce". :)
BaitandSwitch
First Video: Feed Dump

Postby BaitandSwitch » 24 Aug 2015, 18:44

There aren't any really good powercube-esque breaks for Whoooornk, since those combos are pretty much blue/artifact exclusive (blue can go die in a fire); but there are some dece combinations.

Aside from the obvious ETB effects and */* creatures (where * = # of creatures/forests/whatever):

You can basically pay six to pull a Fleetfooted Panther, Horned Kavu or Invasive species from your deck while keeping the 6/5 in your hand for re-use.

You can pull Mwonvuli Beast Tracker from the deck and then tutor another critter. Or you can cascade with Shardless Agent.

You can also play around certain things, like "in addition to it's casting cost" or paying once for echo critters you want to keep, which green has a fair deal of.

My favorite, though, and I have absolutely no idea if this actually works or not, is to get Animar, Soul of Elements with 3 +1/+1 (Cached Defenses, anybody?) or another similar effect on the field and then go Whoooornk, Whoooornk, Whoooornk, Whoooornk, 6-drop, offer scoop. Again, I have no idea if this would actually work
TMC_SHerpa
First Video: umm something from enn or unskipable?

Postby TMC_SHerpa » 24 Aug 2015, 20:11

There is a card from a million years ago (Fallen Empires? I got out with Ice Age so it can't be newer than that) that changes the color listed on a card. Far as I know it was there to change prot X to prot Y. I'm not sure when Magic checks the legality of ETB but it might let you get around picking a green card? The only copy of the rules I can find in my stash is from 1995 and stuff like this isn't covered.
Lazy and willing to work very hard to stay that way.

Also dang misplaced caps!
Moussefilledkitten
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby Moussefilledkitten » 25 Aug 2015, 07:12

I kind of want Chandra's nickname to be related to Pheonix/X-men in some way.
BenMarc
First Video: Interrupt this Program

Postby BenMarc » 26 Aug 2015, 20:15

Darn it Graham, you got it wrong. The nickname for Angel's Tomb is, and always has been, Weeping Angel. That or "Don't Blink".

Nissa's Revelation takes place before the Eldrazi were released, Cam. That's what the revelation is; that there are giant monsters trapped in Akoum, making the entire plane sick.

Well, Barrin and Rayne are the parents of Hanna. And Lovisa Coldeyes had at least one kid with Darien, King of Kjeldor. Future Sight saw the printing of Oriss, Samite Guardian, revealing that Orim and Cho-Manno had a kid. And of course there's Takeshi Konda and Jarad, the multiverse's worst and best fathers, respectively. But, yes, Pia and Kiran are the first time we've had both parents on the same card. Thing is, though, it's pretty rare for a single legendary creature card to depict a couple, so it's unsurprising that the Nalaars are the first parents on the same card.
Captain Technicality, away!!!
*makes whooshing noises with mouth*
reptile

Postby reptile » 28 Aug 2015, 06:45

Chandra, Roaring Flame = Chandror the Burninator
Pia and Kiran Nalaar = Key and Peele (note: I got this from AdmiralMemo)

TMC_SHerpa: The card you're thinking of is Sleight of Mind. I don't know if it would work timing-wise either.
zombub
First Video: Friday Nights Commander one

Postby zombub » 16 Sep 2015, 01:04

I know it's bad but I've always mentally called Guardians of Meletis "Gays of Granite". I also call Kothophed "Cough Medicine" because his name sounds like one.

Return to “TapTapConcede”