The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby Kapol » 09 Jan 2017, 14:01

Copter was ultra-efficient and ubiquitous, which made it a much more likely hit for a banning. Reflector Mage is more surprising. But others have talked about how it'd help push U/W to be the dominant archetype with Copter and Emrakul gone. So it does make sense.

The timing is the weird part for me. But WotC was kind of forced to do it before the new answers had a chance to play out. Otherwise you run into the situation where each new release has no bannings so they can allow answers to muddy the water. Bannings being with each new release was likely a poor idea to be honest. Though they've also fixed that by giving a new B&R list update halfway through the season.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 10 Jan 2017, 01:46

I don't follow Modern, so couldn't comment on Probe & Troll, but am very surprised at all three Standard bans.

Copter was busted, but there were plenty of ways to deal with it, and more excellent answers coming in AER. It being ubiquitous is the only problem I see with it, but with control & combo looking stronger in the new set - I don't believe that problem would have persisted.

Emrakul was not impossible to beat when she came out, just that she came out too quickly. Treat Aetherworks Marvel as a combo deck, and there were a reasonable number of sideboard options to deal with it - as with any other combo.

Reflector Mage makes the least sense. Copter was more important to u/w flash than Emrakul was to b/g delirium, and any shift in the meta would not last past AER release anyway. But more to the point, Mage was not at all the most guilty in making u/w flash so good.

I personally didn't run any of them, but banning three cards from Standard really hugely sucks for (especially newer) players who have invested in these cards.
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 11 Jan 2017, 04:58

I think the problem with Emrakul is that if she does come down, you need to have the answer exactly second from the top of your deck or you just lose. At last FNM she came down when I had a stasis snare in hand, and then on my stolen turn OP drew a second one, so they got used on my creatures, and there was just nothing I could do.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 11 Jan 2017, 08:16

Don't forget Stasis Snare has flash, you can exile Emrakul before the end of the turn on which she was cast. But having protection from instants, you make a very valid point for every other removal spell in the format.
square1
First Video: Unskippable: The Saboteur

Postby square1 » 12 Jan 2017, 07:01

"When Stasis Snare enters the battlefield, exile target creature an opponent controls until Stasis Snare leaves the battlefield."

Opponent can't target your creatures with your Stasis Snare

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”