The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby Kapol » 22 Apr 2014, 15:43

You play him in a RUG deck with Doubling Season. Then you play him on three, ult him, and then everyone at the table KILLS YOU.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 22 Apr 2014, 17:20

Ended up buying the alt-art foil Jitte from Amazon:

It looks good, and it's definitely shiny, but the front texture is insanely smooth, like photopaper. It's obviously not legal, but as far as proxy's go, it's pretty nice, and even once I DO get a legit Jitte in my deck - not anytime fucking soon! - I'll still hang onto this as a collector item.
Credit to Foxmar
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 23 Apr 2014, 07:26

So regarding the being-a-terrible-person combo using Bearer of the Heavens and Gift of Immortality, how should one go about making a Standard deck out of it? I was thinking Naya colors so I can ramp into Atlus with green mana dudes, and then after that just some random way to kill him. Maybe saving a Reprisal in my hand for that.

If you don't know the combo, the JOU rules with Joe Bono episode of Limited Resources talks about it at the very end after all the rules talk. It works as follows:

The combo involves playing Bearer of the Heavens, enchanting him with Gift of Immortality, then killing him somehow (sacrificing to something, etc). He comes back immediately thanks to the Gift, and at the end step you have two delayed triggers waiting to be put onto the stack (Bearer destroying everything, and Gift returning to the battlefield). You order them so Gift resolves first, coming back enchanting the Bearer. Then the Bearer trigger goes off, killing everything; this includes the Bearer. Once again, the Bearer comes back thanks to the Gift, and two delayed triggers are made. However, they won't show up until the next end step, which is on your opponent's turn. Due to every permanent being destroyed your opponent can do nothing but maybe play a land and pass the turn, only to watch it get destroyed again anyway and the delayed triggers happen again. The best part is the Bearer of the Heavens has no summoning sickness on your turn because he came back on your opponent's end step, allowing you to smash face for 10 on every one of your turns until your opponent cries for mercy.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 23 Apr 2014, 07:55

Every time I try to write a list for this deck, it starts looking like RW aggro with an 8-drop in it.
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 23 Apr 2014, 12:24

madAlric wrote:Every time I try to write a list for this deck, it starts looking like RW aggro with an 8-drop in it.

I mean that's not awful, but it doesn't exactly deliver on the premise.

You could take it in a really strange direction and go Naya, bring in the ramp and the GR zoo philosophy that has a slightly better chance of firing off the 8-drop. Zhur-taa ancient into bearer can happen as early as turn 4-5 with a really rampy deck.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 23 Apr 2014, 13:43

The Bearer of the Heavens combo could work with Rescue from the Underworld and a reanimator strategy, but sadly, the cards just don't exist in standard to support it. The only red looting is Wild Guess. and the only reanimation spells are Rescue from the Underworld and Obzedat's Aid, and Rescue is the only one you'd really want, (instant speed, and a potential combo piece.)

We could cut white for blue to get more digging and looting, but then we lose Gift of Immortality, and I don't want to cut combo pieces.
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 23 Apr 2014, 14:11

If we must, we can always use Commune with the Gods to search for and eventually find both Bearer of the Heavens and Gift of Immortality.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 23 Apr 2014, 20:35

So, I was playing in a BTT draft on Magic Online. Round 1 went to three games, and after I win the third, my opponent says in the chat "wtf you are so bad ur winning just cuz the mulligans".

WTF yourself, man.
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 23 Apr 2014, 20:47

jam with W/B reanimate?
or junk for the graveyard dumps?
^( " )^
winner!
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 23 Apr 2014, 21:32

Duckay wrote:So, I was playing in a BTT draft on Magic Online. Round 1 went to three games, and after I win the third, my opponent says in the chat "wtf you are so bad ur winning just cuz the mulligans".

WTF yourself, man.

My standard response to "You just drew good cards", or "You only won cause I mulled to 3", etc, is "The trick to drawing good cards/hands, is to put good cards in your deck".

That or ignoring/laughing at them.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 23 Apr 2014, 21:38

He only mulliganed in one of the 3 games, and only to six cards, so it wasn't even that devastating. I just didn't know whether to be offended or deeply amused at "ur winning just cuz the mulligans".
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 23 Apr 2014, 21:40

Well, it just goes to empirically prove, with science, that it's impossible to win a match if you mulligan in any of the games.

Mulliganning: not even once.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 23 Apr 2014, 22:40

God, I hate mulliganing. I only do if my opponent does with the Free Mulli rule. IF I have to go to 6, I'll just try to roll with it. For some reason, I can't break my mind out of the fact that going to six is worse than keeping a garbage hand that has one or no land.
Credit to Foxmar
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 23 Apr 2014, 22:41

Look, I get the frustration. It sucks when you mulligan, your keep is still sketchy, and your opponent just curves out beautifully. I lost in the final after drawing nothing but land in the first five turns (one of the games was epic though). How is insulting your opponent supposed to help that, though? They didn't make your draws unlucky, they didn't make your deck a bit sketchy, and them curving out while you stare at nothing doesn't make them a bad player.
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 23 Apr 2014, 22:49

No, it doesn't make them bad. It just makes Lady Luck a bitch. It seems to happen more often to me than my opponents, though. Of course, that's because you never really face the same opponent more than one in any given tournament, or even any given group meetup. So, law of average dictates they probably are hosed or flooded the same amount as you, you just see yours more than theirs. I've tried to be better about my attitude in Magic, but right now, it's just in casual play. I'll have to see how I do at the Pre-Release...if I can get there.
Credit to Foxmar
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 24 Apr 2014, 01:45

I don't have a problem mulling down to three, if I need to. It all depends on the hand and the deck. In fact, I can win off of a good three-card more often than a bad seven.

Learn to mulligan. You'll be glad you did.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 24 Apr 2014, 03:57

Yeah alot of people including my self mulligan when they shouldn't and keep when they should mulligan.
Learning when to mulligan is a very important skill to learn and it sometimes gets overlooked as people simplify it, at is about not only is this a good hand but what are the chances the next hand is better and other this like can this hand even win
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 24 Apr 2014, 04:00

it's almost as important a skill as sideboarding. ;)

Also, I scrubbed out at GP PHX because of poor sideboard decisions.
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 24 Apr 2014, 05:36

Ah, sideboarding. Another thing I don't really do all that well...if at all. I guess it goes back to me playing back in the day when sideboards really weren't a thing. I understand their usefulness, and a part of me does kind of get how to put one together. I just never do.
Credit to Foxmar
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 24 Apr 2014, 05:54

Sideboards and knowing how to sideboard is very important as 1/2 of 2/3 of games in a match is played with sideboards in effect and sideboard should be build as a part of deckbuilding and not something that is just thrown together with cards that you think is properly going to be useful in some matchup but this is the way sideboards are often created as it is easier and it is properly good enough.
But it is hard to learn how to get better at sideboarding as it depends on a lot of other factors you need to know
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 24 Apr 2014, 07:32

Regarding whether to mulligan or not, the key question I always ask myself is "Can I play anything out of this hand?"
If the answer is "No" then there is a high probability that I mull, particularly on a no-land or 1-land hand. Sometimes I keep if I have, say 2 lands and a 3-drop, though, based on the high probability of drawing into land.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 24 Apr 2014, 11:13

Just a curiosity question: what's everyone's experience with Duels of the Planeswalkers? Is it worth it for a reasonably experienced player? I'm just looking for a cheap way to play more Magic, and MTGO is a no-go for a variety of hilarious reasons that we won't get into.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 24 Apr 2014, 11:47

Yeah, it's a really fun thing to do, even if you are experienced. It gives you a variety of decks, and the expansion packs are usually worth it.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 24 Apr 2014, 11:48

I have fun with DotP myself, you get to play some really interesting decks. It takes some getting used to for knowing when to cast something in response to another. The major issue is deck customization is limited in 2014. However, 2015 is supposed to have full customization so I'm super excited. Also you can do a sealed event in 2014 if you're into it but I just have fun playing the regular decks against the AI. You can play online but at time of writing I have yet to bother.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 24 Apr 2014, 11:59

Neat. I'll take a gander at the demo when I get home from work.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”