The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Re: The General Magic: The Gathering Thread

Postby chetoos » 14 Aug 2016, 05:38

tappedout? I have quite a few commander decks on there, a lot of the more recent are silly themes, but it's still really interesting.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 21 Aug 2016, 16:53

Does anyone know if there's a quick and easy way to create a database of Magic cards that you own? I'm looking to create one so I know what I'm looking for in each set but creating one from scratch would take forever.
Artirian_Legacy
First Video: Friday Nights- Untap

Postby Artirian_Legacy » 21 Aug 2016, 21:43

Umm, MS Excel? Some kind of chart or spreadsheet? I mean, going through your entire collection is kind of inherently slow and tedious.
"What's wrong--are you afraid of me? Don't worry, I promise no one else will hear your screams."
-Tayan Ondir
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 21 Aug 2016, 22:07

Have you looked into Decked Builder? It's what LRR uses for the card recogniser, but it can also save a collection in a decent amount of time, providing it's sorted by set. Otherwise, you're frequently swapping, and a spreadsheet or something like TappedOut would be better.
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 23 Aug 2016, 10:59

What I'm looking for is something a that'd preferably already have all the cards. I just have to give how many I have. Given that that would be a difficult thing to find, Excel is sadly probably the best option, which is a pain and time consuming. I want this to be a portable thing too so I can have it on me when trading for stuff. I'll look into Decked Builder first before anything though.

Is there a limit on how many cards I can have in it? I plan on having all commons and uncommons for the sets I own a healthy amount of.
Gildan_Bladeborn
First Video: The Job

Postby Gildan_Bladeborn » 04 Sep 2016, 19:28

RadioshackRaider wrote:What I'm looking for is something a that'd preferably already have all the cards. I just have to give how many I have.
So you're looking for something like TCG Player's collection tracker?
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 12 Sep 2016, 07:23

What are people's thoughts on the newly announced Masterpiece series? I'm super excited for them. More reprints (Even at such a high rarity) is better than fewer reprints.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 12 Sep 2016, 07:39

As someone who only plays older formats and likes foil i love it.
But standard players should also love it as it is going to reduce the price of all other cards in the set
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 12 Sep 2016, 14:04

As a limited player, the fact it's going to reduce the cost of the other cards in the set is actually an issue for me. Especially since this sounds like it'll be the norm from now on. Pulling valuable cards is one of the ways I help offset the cost of drafting. So when prices on cards that aren't incredibly rare take a hit, it affects my ability to play.

Also in terms of limited, these affect limited MUCH more when you pull them than the lands from Zendikar. The person who pulls a Sol Ring or a sword will be getting a very powerful card for their deck that'll likely just win them games. You could say the same of normal bombs. But unlike most bombs (which tend to be creatures anymore), they require very specific removal to get rid of them. And for the ramp artifacts, you might not get the removal you need before your opponent has ramped too far ahead.

That isn't to say this isn't a good thing for a lot of people. And these being less universal as the lands of Zendikar will hopefully help the price issue. But I wasn't really onboard during the original expeditions. So the news that they'll become the norm bothers me. I was always under the impression they were meant as a special addition similar to the original Treasures from Zendikar.

Or to sum it up: I'm not a fan and worry about how they'll effect limited. But they're sweet cards with awesome art and will hopefully help the majority of players.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 12 Sep 2016, 18:44

I'm excited for them and hope to open one. I opened one Expedition the whole time, so I'm hoping the same is for these.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

theycallmejokke
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1

Postby theycallmejokke » 13 Sep 2016, 08:53

My first thought about Kaladesh's Masterpieces was sooo pretty, my second more coherent thought was nice! I actually need a couple of those for my commander decks, this will make my life a bit more easy.
All in all I think they are a fun idea, sure some of those will be quiet rough to come up against in a casual draft, but I don't see it happening enough to ever grow frustrating.
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 04 Oct 2016, 15:45

So after drafting Kaladesh for the first time, I think the format is pretty sweet. It's less bomb driven than I was worried about. Though I think the powerful rares did warp things somewhat.

I don't think it's KTK good. But KTK is the best limited format I've played. One thing I found out is that vehicle removal is a very real concern. Like I had enough removal to deal with any problematic creatures. But if they landed a vehicle, I always had to think if they had a creature in hand that could crew it.

The one game I lost was to a Smuggler's Copter. Which, if your opponent drops that on turn two, you better figure out a way to deal with it quick. Hitting for 3 in the air starting on 3 while sculpting your hand with looting is insane. And the low crew cost means you only need a servo to stick around to use it. Which was how it ended up killing me, since I removed every other creature.
Aeralis
First Video: enn: Nerd Flu

Postby Aeralis » 04 Oct 2016, 21:04

So far Kaladesh is pretty neat, and it even prompted me to search out ebay for a decent commander for a red/blue deck so I could run with the Pia Nalaar and Saheeli Rai I got out of my bundle box. The vehicles are great fun and I like the synergy with artifacts in general.

Still didn't manage to beat SoI flavor-wise though. I mean, man, Just the Wind and Uninvited Geist. Delicious.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 05 Oct 2016, 01:24

To be fair I feel like Innistrad has an easier time with flavor due to the theme of the plane. "Gothic Horror" seems easier to get across in card form than "Totally-not-Steampunk Magicpunk." Kaladesh's theme also seems a bit less established in general than Innistrad's. Which isn't a bad thing. It lets Kaladesh be it's own thing without relying so much on external tropes.

That said I do agree with you. SoI was just dripping with delicious flavor.
Aeralis
First Video: enn: Nerd Flu

Postby Aeralis » 05 Oct 2016, 11:23

Very true. Crewing vehicles is nice flavor-wise at least, even if you can get some completely thematically ridiculous combinations. (Kinda wanna build a deck where the skywhale and a tasseled dromedary can drive a train.)
Artirian_Legacy

Postby Artirian_Legacy » 05 Oct 2016, 15:00

I prefer stacking vehicles; WAY more comedic value
"What's wrong--are you afraid of me? Don't worry, I promise no one else will hear your screams."
-Tayan Ondir
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 05 Oct 2016, 15:56

Use the biggest vehicles to crew the smallest vehicles. The best way to win flavor.

By the way, if you like giant kitty and/or kamigawa, read the latest story. It actually made me tear up.
Artirian_Legacy

Postby Artirian_Legacy » 05 Oct 2016, 16:47

I KNOW RIGHT?! Best one in a LONG while. So much cute, so many FEELS... it's all just... *flails wildly*
-Tayan Ondir
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 06 Oct 2016, 22:41

What are people's opinions on the Kaladesh set with regards to having a pack in a Chaos Draft? Are the cards good enough on their own? Are there any parasitic mechanics? Are there any interesting cross-set synergies?
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

theycallmejokke
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1

Postby theycallmejokke » 07 Oct 2016, 04:33

Energy might come off as a bit parasitic in a chaos draft, but luckily most card that need Energy also comes with a bit, Vehicles could become enablers for Lorwyn-Shadowmoor untap abilities, plus that block also had a couple of red/white dwarfs.
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 07 Oct 2016, 13:35

I would say that energy is the only 'concern' mechanic. It's one that had the potential of being very parasitic, as it's using a resource that's only generated by cards in the set.

But pretty much every card in Kaladesh avoids being an issue by both making energy if they care about it and just being good on their own. Like the 2/3 rhino for three is basically just a 3/4 for three. And that's great. The 2/1 is a 3/2 for two, the goat is a 3/5 for 4. Eddytrail Hawk can give a creature flying twice, etc, etc. All of these are excellent without any other way to generate energy.

Artirian_Legacy wrote:I KNOW RIGHT?! Best one in a LONG while. So much cute, so many FEELS... it's all just... *flails wildly*

It was the "It should have been me" line that really got me. I also really liked the perspective character for the Kamigawa parts and slowly realizing what he is.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 25 Oct 2016, 11:31

C16 spoilers bring many things, but oh goodness yes: Rebecca Guay basics, (and they do not disappoint). I am so happy right now.
square1
First Video: Unskippable: The Saboteur

Postby square1 » 27 Nov 2016, 08:45

Anyone try out Saturday Showdown? Whether from lack of interest or the holiday here in the US, our store barely launched. Fun to play some casual standard outside Game Day though.

Only one person brought one of the tier 1 decks. My first match my opponent dropped a t1 Thriving Turtle, and it did 10 damage to me over the course of the game...
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 09 Jan 2017, 13:23

So for the first time since I've been playing, we've got actual standard bans. Standard attendance must have been abysmal for this to happen.
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 09 Jan 2017, 13:44

Kapol wrote:So for the first time since I've been playing, we've got actual standard bans. Standard attendance must have been abysmal for this to happen.

I agree. I know Emrakul is problematic in the "oppressive and unfun", but Copter and Reflector Mage are very surprising. They are very efficient, but not broken. Mage was more of a problem back when Coco was a deck, and Copter even gets worse with Fatal Push coming in.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”