Magic the Gathering: Ask a Judge

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Re: Magic the Gathering: Ask a Judge

Postby SixFootTurkey » 23 Aug 2016, 16:59

I meant means of removing 'Planeswalker' w/o removing abilities as well.

Song of the Dryads does so by setting a basic land type. Imprisoned in the Moon does so by explicitly removing abilities. Neither leaves the formerly-planeswalker with any loyalty abilities.

Imprisoned in the Moon is interesting. Since it removes abilities explicitly, it will also remove any abilities granted by an effect with an earlier timestamp. Song of the Dryads does not.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 05 Sep 2016, 18:40

You don't "cast" lands, right? So if New Chandra hits a land on her first +1, then she necessarily uses the 2 damage clause, correct?
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 05 Sep 2016, 18:58

Correct.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 06 Sep 2016, 10:10

Judge!

I have a question on the interaction between certain cards from each Conspiracy set - specifically, Worldknit and cards like Caller of the Untamed, which exile cards from your pool before the game starts.

Am I correct in thinking that, since the cards are removed from your pool before the game begins, as long as the rest of the cards you drafted are in your deck/in the command zone, Worldknit functions as intended?
korvys

Postby korvys » 06 Sep 2016, 13:36

This doesnt work as you want it to.

World knit is conditional on starting with your entire pool in your library or command zone, and if you have used the ability of Caller of the Untamed, you will be starting with a card in the Exile zone as well (the card is never removed from your pool).

It's possible that I'm misunderstanding the timing at the start of the game, and that Worldknit will check before you exile the card, but in that case it still won't work, because you will have had to have not included the card in your deck for Caller, so Worldknit won't work, or have included it, and so Caller won't work.

I believe the timing is the first one, though.

keybase.io
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 06 Sep 2016, 15:47

Yeah, Caller has you moving a card from the in-your-pool-but-not-your-deck not-really-a-zone, into the exile zone. Regardless of the timing, the creature card you're exiling is going to be in one of those two places. And in order for Worldknit to work, both those have to be empty.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 08 Sep 2016, 06:13

Suppose the game has gone long, and I have 2 harness the storms out, with 2 copies of Take Inventory in my graveyard. I cast a third take inventory, with enough mana to cast the other two, and I fully intend to do so. How does this resolve? I believe the stack goes Take>harness>harness, take>harness>take, take>harness, take>take, take, so I would draw 7 cards.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
korvys

Postby korvys » 08 Sep 2016, 16:19

Correct.

keybase.io
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Sep 2016, 09:42

I'm assuming costs can't be responded to. Therefore, I'm assuming the new "Dissappearing Act" card essentially has uncounterable self-bounce.

korvys

Postby korvys » 14 Sep 2016, 13:10

Correct.

keybase.io
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 20 Sep 2016, 07:40

Do vehicles have summoning sickness? My understanding says no, as they are not creatures, but I am not sure about crewing it on the turn it is cast.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 20 Sep 2016, 09:39

Everything has summoning sickness, it is just often not relevant to anything other than creatures.
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 20 Sep 2016, 11:40

It's _not_ relevant to anything other than creatures. It just becomes relevant if those things happen to become a creature while still 'summoning sick'.

More accurately, 'summoning sickness' is an informal/outdated term to mean the following:

Creatures cannot attack or use abilities with the tap/untap symbol in their cost unless you have controlled them since the start of your most recent turn.
korvys

Postby korvys » 20 Sep 2016, 15:41

Code: Select all

CR302.6. A creature's activated ability with the tap symbol or the untap symbol in its activation cost can't be activated unless the creature has been under its controller's control continuously since his or her most recent turn began. A creature can't attack unless it has been under its controller's control continuously since his or her most recent turn began. This rule is informally called the "summoning sickness" rule.

So, you cast your Cultivator's Caravan, and you want to use it's mana ability. Since it's not a creature, the above doesn't apply.

If instead you decide to crew it, and it becomes a creature, and NOW you want to use it's mana ability (maybe you crewed it to block and now want to cast an instant), you can't since it's a creature, and the above applies and won't let you.

Note that 2 vehicles (Ovalchase Dragster and Fleetwheel Cruiser) have Haste, so will be unaffected by the rule when creatures.

keybase.io
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 27 Sep 2016, 10:59

Can I get a judge to just verify something for me. Say I have one of the new thriving animals in play, the Rhino for the sake of being specific. I also have like 30 energy for some reason. When I attack I can only put one counter on him right? I am sure this is right, but I had so many people at the prerelease trying to dump 2 or 3 on at once that I started to think I was crazy.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 27 Sep 2016, 11:13

You are correct there. From the Kaladesh Release Notes:

Some triggered abilities state that you “may pay” a certain amount of E. You can’t pay that amount multiple times to multiply the effect. You simply choose whether or not to pay that amount of E as the ability resolves, and no player may take actions to try to stop the ability’s effect after you make your choice.
theycallmejokke
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1

Postby theycallmejokke » 30 Sep 2016, 20:57

Say my opponent actives a vehicle as a blocker, during my second main phase if I then went and bounces that vehicle with a Reflector Mage would reflector Mage's full ability come in to play, even though the vehicle wouldn't be a creature once in hand?
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
korvys

Postby korvys » 30 Sep 2016, 21:28

The 2 important parts:
When Reflector Mage enters the battlefield, return target creature an opponent controls to its owner's hand.
That creature's owner can't cast spells with the same name as that creature until your next turn.

"That creature" means the card that was bounced by the first part of the ability, regardless of whether it's still a creature.
And since that card still has the same name as itself (unsurprisingly), it can't be cast.

keybase.io
theycallmejokke
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1

Postby theycallmejokke » 01 Oct 2016, 02:11

Nice, thanks for the answer Korvys.
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
Aeralis
First Video: enn: Nerd Flu

Postby Aeralis » 01 Oct 2016, 08:51

When exactly are you allowed to Crew? Is it only on your turn, or are you able to Crew a vehicle to block an incoming attack?

Also, does tapping a creature in order to Crew a vehicle also activate any tap-activated abilities it may have? (And/or can activating a tap-ability also go towards a vehicle's Crew cost?)
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 01 Oct 2016, 09:06

You may tap creatures to Crew whenever you want, notably Smuggler's Copter has a "when this creature blocks" ability.

Tapping creatures to Crew is the cost of the ability, a creature's normal tap ability (if it has one) will also require tapping as the cost - so you can activate only one or the other, and tapping for one will not trigger the other.

Abilities of cards like Night Market Lookout will trigger regardless of how the creature became tapped.
Aeralis
First Video: enn: Nerd Flu

Postby Aeralis » 01 Oct 2016, 16:55

Great, thanks for clearing that up. Obvious in hindsight, I was probably just thinking about it too hard.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 02 Oct 2016, 09:46

Aether Meltdown: If the object it's enchanting somehow becomes neither a creature nor a Vehicle, this falls off, correct?

phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 02 Oct 2016, 15:24

Correct.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 09 Oct 2016, 12:59

This is baseline , but to start off, the following are universally accepted as far as I've seen:

Relevant cards wrote:Common Bond {1GW}
|Instant|
Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.

Angelic Protector {3W}
|Creature -- Angel|
Flying
Whenever Angelic Protector becomes the target of a spell or ability, Angelic Protector gets +0/+3 until end of turn.
2/2

Misdirection {3UU}
|Instant|
You may exile a blue card from your hand rather than pay Misdirection's mana cost.
Change the target of target spell with a single target.

Scenario: Common Bond is cast with Angelic Protector chosen for both targets.

Outcome: Misdirection cannot be cast targeting Common Bond. Angelic Protector's ability will only trigger once.

As far as I've gathered, there are two relevant rules here:

Relevant rules:

114.8a wrote:An object that looks for a “[spell or ability] with a single target” checks the number of times any objects, players, or zones became the target of that spell or ability when it was put on the stack, not the number of its targets that are currently legal. If the same object, player, or zone became a target more than once, each of those instances is counted separately.

601.2c wrote:The player announces his or her choice of an appropriate player, object, or zone for each target the spell requires. A spell may require some targets only if an alternative or additional cost (such as a buyback or kicker cost), or a particular mode, was chosen for it; otherwise, the spell is cast as though it did not require those targets. If the spell has a variable number of targets, the player announces how many targets he or she will choose before he or she announces those targets. In some cases, the number of targets will be defined by the spell’s text. Once the number of targets the spell has is determined, that number doesn’t change, even if the information used to determine the number of targets does. The same target can’t be chosen multiple times for any one instance of the word “target” on the spell. However, if the spell uses the word “target” in multiple places, the same object, player, or zone can be chosen once for each instance of the word “target” (as long as it fits the targeting criteria). If any effects say that an object or player must be chosen as a target, the player chooses targets so that he or she obeys the maximum possible number of such effects without violating any rules or effects that say that an object or player can’t be chosen as a target. The chosen players, objects, and/or zones each become a target of that spell. (Any abilities that trigger when those players, objects, and/or zones become the target of a spell trigger at this point; they’ll wait to be put on the stack until the spell has finished being cast.)

The only possible rationale I can see for the ruling (which I am not disputing, merely attempting to understand), is the difference between the underlined sections - that is, using 'a' vs 'the'. Still running through this in my mind, but figured I would pop in here for some discussion; does anyone have a firm understanding of the topic in question?

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”