Commander/EDH Deck Talk

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Re: Commander/EDH Deck Talk

Postby RadioshackRaider » 29 Nov 2015, 10:23

I think I have a major problem. I got a copy of Eron the Relentless and now I'm going to build a fifth Mono-red deck. Anyone else build lots of decks with the same colour combination? Also I swear mono-red has a lot of different play styles in this format.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 30 Nov 2015, 16:51

Oooh, didn't know of Soul Strings. That'd fit well into my cRPG Deck as a 'moral choice moment'.
Lycodrake
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Lycodrake » 30 Nov 2015, 17:33

In free-time, since discovering the wonder of MtG, I sometimes just type in random words to see what results I can get on Gatherer. :)
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 03 Dec 2015, 16:21

So I've altered was is very quickly becoming my favourite deck to play. I've put a new commander in and upgraded it a little. What do you think now? It should probably be Black/ Green now, but mono black is waaaaaay too fun already. tappedout.net/mtg-decks/a-plague-a-pustule/
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 04 Dec 2015, 02:03

Link doesn't work.
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 04 Dec 2015, 08:04

Havtorn
First Video: A "Things on my head" video

Postby Havtorn » 12 Dec 2015, 04:43

So, I've been trying to put together something that's built around +1/+1 counters, because I really have a thing for 'cute' card combinations, like Archangel of Thune/Horizon Chimera/Fathom Mage, Spike Feeder/Sunbound or Progenitor Mimic/Master Biomancer. Link Here.

Having playtested what amounts to the first draft in a vacuum for a bit, though, I'm afraid it doesn't really run super smoothly. It kind of does hit critical mass after a while, but I'm worried that it's be far to slow and I need to include more removal and/or counterspells or something so that my opponents don't run away while I try to put cute combinations of cards together. Or something. I could use pointers.
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 12 Dec 2015, 05:55

Is there a place for some Bolster cards in there? Like:
Gleam Of Authority
Enduring Victory
Dragonscale General
Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit

You've also got the Arcbound friends that all +1 together; Bioshift for getting your counters out of trouble; Dromoka's Command, Feat of Resistance, and Mutant's Prey for psuedo-removal.

Not sure about hard removal or counterspells that fit though...
Havtorn

Postby Havtorn » 12 Dec 2015, 07:19

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

I've been back and forth on Bolster, and there is some incidental bolstering going on with The Elite Scaleguard and Scale Blessing. I like both the Dragonscale General and Anafenza, they've both been in and out of the list during construction. Tbh it's one of those "I don't really know what to cut" deals, there's just so many creatures I would like. :)

The Arcbound cards are a lot of fun too, but I'd have to commit to artifact creatures pretty hard for that to work, wouldn't I?
Antitonic

Postby Antitonic » 12 Dec 2015, 15:24

It's more if you can ramp into it hard enough. Like, Overseer, Juggernaut, and Stinger would be where I'd consider it being useful (counters, Trample, Flying), but then you've got an 8-drop to worry about. So if you're worried about shifting too much into artifacts, which is a fair reason, might be best to leave off then.

Also there's the fight cards to consider. If you're going to have a few counter-horders out, they could handle taking a swing at pretty much anything if they're big enough. Things like Hunt The Weak, or Wild Instincts.

Also-also, I assume you've already seen them, but here is a list of all the lands that work with your colours. There may be some you may not have thought of that have effects. Like Arena, being another fight card... :P
Havtorn

Postby Havtorn » 13 Dec 2015, 02:14

How have I not seen the Manabase Crafter before? That's gonna save me a lot of time in the future. :)

I've tweaked the deck quite a lot and it feels a little better. I still kind of feel that it doesn't really do anything until turn 3, which I know is probably fine for Commander but I'm unsure about EDH. Usually I end up with a hand that has at least some way of countering spells or protecting my dudes, and maybe that's enough? I think I feel that the deck is at least consistent enough to try a live proxy game with, and I'll see how it goes from there.

I'll look in to adding some fight effects, preferably repeatable ones. It's getting real hard to figure out what to cut now, though. :D
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 16 Dec 2015, 18:53

So I've been having trouble with my Alesha commander deck. It has a bunch of sweet cards that work with her, but it just doesn't work. I've been playing about with making it ally tribal, but I have a 5-colour version of that. What do I do?
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 16 Dec 2015, 21:42

RadioshackRaider wrote:So I've been having trouble with my Alesha commander deck. It has a bunch of sweet cards that work with her, but it just doesn't work. I've been playing about with making it ally tribal, but I have a 5-colour version of that. What do I do?

You'd be surprised how much mileage you can actually get out of Warrior tribal with Alesha. If you haven't done that already, I highly recommend it.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
Tacos_yay
First Video: Crapshots

Postby Tacos_yay » 03 Jan 2016, 13:10

So I was watching of the TTC episodes, and in a pack of time spiral they opened a wurm card with flash. I thought from a flavor perspective, a wurm with flash was hilarious. So I built an EDH deck around the concept!
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/fear-is- ... -killer-2/
It was originally just gonna be Yeva, but then I wouldn't be able to play the Green and White wurms. The commander is either Chorus or Trostani, I can't decide which.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 10 Jan 2016, 05:17

Unorthodox tribal decks are always a blast to play with and against.

@RadioshackRaider: I'm sure you've already seen this, but for your wubrg allies -

(OGW spoiler):

RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 10 Jan 2016, 08:05

fantôme wrote:Unorthodox tribal decks are always a blast to play with and against.

@RadioshackRaider: I'm sure you've already seen this, but for your wubrg allies -

(OGW spoiler):

I saw it and wept at it's magnificence. I've been testing with it already, and it's just the best. The second ability only matters for it's colours. I'm never going to use it. Having a tutor as my commander who only costs one colour of mana is amazing. It's made the deck run much better. No more mana issues. I'm kinda underwhelmed by the rest of the set though. there's no more allies for my deck and the rest of the cards are just kinda boring. I think Mina and Denn is the only card after Tazri that'll end up playing in a deck outside of standard, which is where I'll finally get to play Zada.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 18 Jan 2016, 17:26

So the big news:

Prophet of Kruphix is banned.

Partial Paris Mulligan is gone for Vancouver Mulligan.

Rule 4 is dead: You can now produce mana of any colour.

Thoughts?

(My thoughts: Good choices, though I'm not 100% sold on the Prophet ban.)
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 18 Jan 2016, 18:10

JackSlack wrote:So the big news:

Prophet of Kruphix is banned.

Partial Paris Mulligan is gone for Vancouver Mulligan.

Rule 4 is dead: You can now produce mana of any colour.

Thoughts?

(My thoughts: Good choices, though I'm not 100% sold on the Prophet ban.)

I too am not the biggest fan of the Prophet ban, but that's because I've also never tried to break Prophet in half the way some people have. As it is, I only had to take it out of one deck, and replaced it with a Seedborn Muse I had laying around.

The mulligan rule is a change I'm extremely happy with, as I've never been comfortable with the Partial Paris method, and now don't have to use it ever again.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
Gildan_Bladeborn
First Video: The Job

Postby Gildan_Bladeborn » 19 Jan 2016, 18:33

Can't say I'm happy to see Prophet get the axe instead of some of the other "not broken on their own so much as they are enabling factors for extremely broken things" cards that even the terrible people I know currently abusing think should be banned (they frequently say exactly that out loud while demonstrating why), but oh well, she was only in 2 of my decks anyways and it's not like I really built around her much if at all (other than playing a deck that had green and blue in it). Already found replacements.

The change to the mana rule is interesting, the mulligan rule is whatever, honestly the folks I play with mostly just stick with what the rules committee actually does, but can't formally endorse (mulligan until you have a playable hand of seven, don't abuse it) anyways, so I don't think it will come up much. The mana rule though, that changes some things, particularly since one of the people I play with sometimes runs a Sen Triplets deck.
Lycodrake
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Lycodrake » 20 Jan 2016, 06:21

As someone who doesn't use the hard ban rules in my play-group, I can't say this truly effects me, but I am confused as to why the color identity mana rule was changed.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 20 Jan 2016, 17:15

Lycodrake wrote:As someone who doesn't use the hard ban rules in my play-group, I can't say this truly effects me, but I am confused as to why the color identity mana rule was changed.

With colourless mana now being required on some casting costs, the rule that converted coloured mana to colourless mana could be gamed for Commander.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 21 Jan 2016, 05:52

That's a fair point, and this change will also help when paying for other players' cards or abilities in decks that steal them.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Tinfish
First Video: Krogslist

Postby Tinfish » 09 Feb 2016, 20:58

I've been going through the list of legendary creatures to see if there were any that inspired me to build commander decks (spoiler: there are!). I was originally looking for tribal creature ideas, but there seem to be remarkably few legendaries that are also lords.

Kruphix, God of Horizons - best friends forever with hydras.
Edric, Spymaster of Trent - I don't know what sort of deck you'd build around this guy, but he seems like he'd be great fun in Commander.
Experiment Kraj - chuck counters everywhere, win! I wonder if Polukranos' monstrous thing counts as an activated ability for Kraj's purposes? There might be a blue-green deck here with all three of these guys.
Oros, the Avenger - I don't really feel like making an Oros deck, but I just really love that art. Would definitely buy as a playmat.
Narset, Enlightened Master - a card I actually have! (I picked her up late in a draft once). Narset wants enchantments, equipment, and spells which create creatures. Just Voltron her up!
Marchesa, the Black Rose - Marchesa just seems bonkers good in Commander. I don't know if Conspiracy is legal anywhere outside of Conspiracy, but the thought of a Marchesa deck just makes me want to cackle madly. Which I think is on flavour for Marchesa.
It's fish in a tin!
Antitonic

Postby Antitonic » 09 Feb 2016, 23:53

I'm building a Narset deck, but mostly for the colours. It's basically a combination of multiplying spells, countering/redirecting, and straight-up theft. I anticipate no-one but me having fun.
Tinfish
First Video: Krogslist

Postby Tinfish » 10 Feb 2016, 02:52

I think you may be missing the point of Commander ... :p

The more I think about it, the more I want.a Marchesa deck. Dethrone, Unleash, Undying, Outlast ... Mer-Ek Nightblade is a straight monster in this deck. Grixis, Rakdos, Izzet, Dimir ... such value!

Alas, most of the things that really care about +1+1 counters are in green and/or white, but I think there's enough there to make it work.

Does anyone know if Conspiracy cards are legal in Commander? If they're not, these fevered dreams of someday claiming the throne for my own are naught but formless wisps.
It's fish in a tin!

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”