Loading Ready Fan Draft.

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
JWiley129
First Video: Friday Nights

Re: Loading Ready Fan Draft.

Postby JWiley129 » 26 Apr 2015, 13:43

Here's my deck from the Fan Draft, and I went 2-1 with it.

I first picked the Pristine Skywise, and just saw that White/Blue was open and stayed in it. No Pacifism was a little disappointing, but the deck turned out fine.

I played against Arakasi (1-2), Sarah_serinde (2-0), and Drklynch (2-0) in the swiss. It was weird because all three had the same core colors of GW with Arakasi and Sarah the full Bant (GWU). I did manage to win the game with Myth Realized, another with Shorecrasher Elemental, and countered two spells with the Silumgar Spell-eaters. It was quite a fun little deck to play.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 02 May 2015, 13:36

I'm stepping out of tonight's draft because I really want to watch CtS.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 02 May 2015, 18:26

Well... I mean, you did retire champion...
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
JWiley129
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby JWiley129 » 02 May 2015, 19:13

So I ended up in a 4 fan pod, but i managed to take down the draft 3-0! Here's the list in question.

Opening DL Kolaghan was nice, and then opening the Boltwing Maurader and getting PASSED the Crux of Fate really helped this deck. And opening the Goblin Heelcutter was good too, despite never casting it.

I only playing against one other Runner, Schmuckofalltrades in round 1, but I beat Schmuck who was playing Abzan, beat another guy who was UG splashing white for Dromoka's Command, and beat a GW deck in the finals with Warden of the First tree and some other decent creatures.
abanytar
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby abanytar » 02 May 2015, 19:58

Here's my first ever 3-0 draft deck! I wasn't sure how it would perform, but Elusive Spellfist did good work.

My favorite moment was using Artful Maneuver on Elusive Spellfist two turns in a row to get through Hosk's wall of beef in order to win round 2.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 May 2015, 10:57

Alright, I made some polls for the draft tonight.
Number of drafts
Draft 1 Format
Draft 2 Format

Edit: DTK won the first draft, and we'll do Tempest if there's interest in a second.

Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 09 May 2015, 21:46

Went 0-3 in some intensely close games. Then again, winning is never my goal; fun is. So, mission accomplished!

RichterScale.dek - Click to Expand
Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 16 May 2015, 19:59

Guess who's back! Stupid social life getting in the way of online card games. Anyways, there's cards to show off and misplays to remember with much bitterness

The cards, yo:

Ended out the day at 1-2, which I'm more than happy with considering how the draft itself went. Early picks had me leaning into blue... which then dried up annoying quickly. Fortunately, I was able to pick up *some* black value towards the end. But then along the way it turned into a "sort of dash" deck without the support or red critters to back it up.

So how about them games then?

The first round up against krovys could have gone a lot more smoothly, despite the result. A few really stupid misplays in the first game all but spelled my defeat... but thanks to what I'm chalking up to "actual miracles", I was able to claw it back and claim victory. Game 2 was a little bit better, drawing well after an initial flood of islands. I held out against some impressive defenses and was able to field lethal damage... at which point my opponent opted to cast Vulturous Aven and exploit-ping himself for the remaining life. I can respect going out on one's own terms, plus it was funny.

Next up to bat was the one and only dixonij, who put up such a good fight in the first game that my poor deck was intimidated into drawing naught but lands. What are the odds? Game 2 went a lot better and less one-sided. I stayed on the back foot for a lot of the match, slowly losing ground. It looked grim, but some well timed creature and spell combos snagged the win in my favour. At this point, Dix had run down his clock to about 2 minutes, which was sub-optimal to say the least. We sprinted headfirst into game 3, making early trades to stay somewhat level. He managed to cast out some quality creatures, enough to take the match... but with only 2 seconds left, he was unable to pull the trigger. But it just didn't seem right winning like that, so I conceded the game to allow the rightful winner to take it.

Although... hearing how he fared against hascow later... it might have been kind of a cruel mercy : \

To end the days play, I faced off with AdmiralMemo. It wasn't much of a contest though, his deck brought out some insane aggression in just a few short turns, burning through my helpless life points like butter... or I guess something else that's also really easy to burn. Game 2 went much the same way, although I did manage to put up a tiny resistance at least. It was all downhill though, and once again, the overwhelming power was more than enough to finish me off. In made the joke in chat later that he didn't leave much behind for the coroner to identify.

So yeah, the old 1-2... which again was about as good as I was expecting the deck to fare. All very good games too, or at least the ones that didn't suffer unfortunate mana issues... but then thems the breaks. I look forward to doing it all again next time... unless the friends try to rope me into some IRL thing again.

Oh, and before I forget, I also had this lying around. Seems like as appropriate a place as any to post it:

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 23 May 2015, 09:48

When is the draft and what format is it? I assume 9 EST and DTK swiss, but I'd like to be sure. I might be able to jump in tonight.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 23 May 2015, 11:33

As far as I know that is still the plan Kapol
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Omega Lairon

Postby Omega Lairon » 23 May 2015, 17:59

Okay, lesson learned - next time if I miss the Runners pod(s), I'm just not going to bother playing at all. lrrEFF-ing MISERABLE experience.

Caution: very foul mood ahead - first 3 rows may get offended

Ran up against some disgusting neckbearded brony-ass inbred mentally challenged chungus in round 1 who was basically running mono-asshole.dek. He seemed to have minimum of 4 or 5 removal spells in his morbidly obese, sweaty and dorito-stained pork chops he calls hands at any given time, or failing that, some stupid little dash monsters which can go lrrEFF right off.

Now, I'm not saying I'm entitled to an easy run, or that there's some sort of expectancy to let me do my whole thing without opposition, but Jeez, he could've at least layed off the throttle a little when it was obviously a blowout. And again, not being a runner, I couldn't even exchange funny banter to help relieve the tension, or possibly beg for some leniency just to get a game 3 for funsies. NOPE.

So I figure, lrrEFF this, I've got a hundred better things to do than let these other randos get free wins at my expense. I hope that fat fugly bastard jerk gets explosive cancer in his micro-dick and dies slowly and painfully has a somewhat unpleasant day.

...I'm sorry, I just need, like a million cookies and a hug :cry:

ert+
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 23 May 2015, 20:19

Sorry that happened OmegaLarion if it makes you feel and better Adam kicked my teeth in again, like he does every time we play.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 23 May 2015, 23:32

Ended up going the old 2-1 with this deck:

First pick was the foil Corpseweft. I thought 'so yeah, I'm in black now.' Then, Adam passed me a Dromoka's Command. I snapped it up for the greed. I noticed black seemed much lighter, so I moved into W/G and felt like I got a decent amount of solid cards. I didn't pick creatures as highly as I should have though. Especially not with two Great Teacher's Decrees. but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Game one was against the only non-runner, which made it less fun. Despite my opponent getting out Citadel Siege, Outpost Siege, AND putting a Glaring Aegis + Gleam of Authority on the 3/2 lifelink, I managed to come back and win. I actually got out the regen bear really early, and made it a 7/6 thanks to Dromoka's Gift. It could only be blocked by one creature as well, thanks to Battlefront Krushok.

I just could not hit my fight to save my life for most of the game. He made the mistake of putting the counters from siege on the lifelinker, not realizing that Glean counts the +1/+1 counters on other creatures, not the number of creatures with +1/+1 counters. That would have pumped up his other guys and his lifelinker, making it a total gain of +4/+4. He also made a greedy swing that let me finally put the lifelink guy down in what ended up being a 3-for-2 (not counting how many turns he put into pumping it).

Game 2 opponent was mana-screwed, so I won my first match. The second match I was outpaced game one and made some play mistakes game 2, costing me the match. But they were fun games. I played Korvys in the final match. They seemed to be playing the Impact Tremors plan, which made me happy. Game one I managed to recover thanks to Abzan Beastmaster drawing me 5 cards total before it died I believe, and getting a lifelink dragon out. Game two went pretty quickly since I just flooded the board with stuff. They were fun games.

Overall, it was a good time for me. Hopefully I'll be able to jump in more in the future.
Omega Lairon

Postby Omega Lairon » 06 Jun 2015, 20:27

Now that you lot are done with all this Modern Masters nonsense (at least for now), I can rejoin the fun times.

Ended up with the old 2-and-1 with these bad boys:
(NOTE: I'm aware that Scroll of the Masters is kinda poop, I totally spaced out and forgot to remove it. I'm not *that* bad at MTG)

And something I've been forgetting to do for a few months now, the first pick report:

Pack 1 rare: Stratus Dancer
Pick 1: Stratus Dancer

Pack 2 rare: Obscuring Æther
Pick 1: Skywise Teachings

Pack 3 rare: Dromoka, The Eternal
Pick 1: Valorous Stance

The draft itself was quite fun - I started with solid blue, and augmented it with some decent but not stellar red. Towards the end of pack 1, I picked up an Ojutai monument to keep the possibility of playing white open. Around 2 or 3 picks into the FRF pack, I realised that my red support was kinda weak by itself, but somehow I had picked up some good white value, so screw it, we're doing all 3 now. Old school Jeskai, yo.

So how about them matches then? Well the first game against adi_pie was probably the worst I managed all day, as we both suffered from terrible mana starvation. Difference is, at some point, he was able to draw more lands. Oh well, that's how it goes. Game 2 was much better - I wasn't super thrilled with holding the opening 7, but it paid off well enough as I held ground long enough to summon one of the dragons and seal it in. I couldn't follow up in game 3 though, as my slow opener utterly failed to gain any traction, and I got ground down slowly and painfully.

Had better luck against ElementalAlchemist, and I do mean "luck" in the literal sense. At some point I'm going to learn to not hold on to kinda trashy opening hands, but as long as they keep paying off... case in point - game 1 started with 5 mana in hand, and ended up with a Wardscale Dragon doing most of the hard work. Game 2 went similarly well, this time with Mistfire Adept and Elusive Spellfist combo-ing well to put some powerful, hard to block damage on the board for enough turns to claim it.

Things looked hairy in the first game with Omnicrat, with waves of big beefy dudes crashing into each other like... some sort of waves, I guess. Ultimately, my mans proved inferior, and were slaughtered. I redeemed it in game 2, keeping a kind of stupid hand which was mostly mana, but drawing out 2 of the dragon trio to once again put up the air assault. Game 3 was by a wide margin the most interesting and, quite frankly, just the thickest concentration of pure dumb luck I've been fortunate enough (heh) to recieve. So remember how I opened Dromoka in pack 3? And of course, the very next card I drew was Valorous Stance, so I just had to take her down before she could start really ruining my day. Later on, an Arcbond threatened to wipe the board and leave me open to horrible retribution. But of course, I just happened to lrrSACK into an answer for that too. With my lackeys still out in force, victory was steadily achieved.

So yeah, I feel good about how the deck performed. Ultimately, my decision to mix in the white cards was the correct one. Here's hoping the next fun adventure is just as excellent!

ert+
Omega Lairon

Postby Omega Lairon » 13 Jun 2015, 19:40

0-6 'Nuff said.

Last known photos of the suspects:

ert+
eltrov
First Video: Friday Nights: In Command

Postby eltrov » 20 Jun 2015, 19:44

Draft was pretty rough but I made it through with something that wasn't entirely terrible. I was worried I wouldn't have enough playables until about halfway through Pack 3 :mrgreen:

Ended up going 2-1 (pod 1) after some pretty silly board states with Mastery of the Unseen.
Omega Lairon

Postby Omega Lairon » 20 Jun 2015, 20:02

Now that's more like it! It's amazing what wonders being able to win a round can do to one's mood. Went 2-1 with these babies:

And bonus rare report... rare-port?

Pack 1: Harbinger of the Hunt
Pick 1: Harbinger of the Hunt

Pack 2: Deathbringer Regent
Pick 1: Deathbringer Regent

Pack 3: Frontier Siege
Pick 1: Hunt the Weak

It's a rare happy day when I get to draft and play in my best colours, and I think I made the best of it. Didn't see too much other value pass me by, so I never felt like I was shooting myself in the foot for staying rigidly on colour. I really wanted to make that Deathbringer work for me though, but what little black there was going around was kinda crappy, and I couldn't really justify a double black splash for it, even with fixing.

Round 1 against Wooglie didn't go exactly according to plan, however. I had a slow-burn hand that, if I could pull it off, could have been... interesting, to say the least. Sadly, I hadn't reckoned on getting out aggro'd by R/W, and despite letting a 10/10 elk out to play, it just wasn't enough. Game 2 went similarly poorly - the opening hand was a little faster, but when you're stuck on 3 land and everything costs 4... sadness.

Round 2 was a bye, so I futz'd around watching some episodes of the Simpsons.

Round 3 against bainard656 started out pretty well, despite having to mull to 5. I had creatures, they had removal... for a while, things were holding steady. Eventually though, big Silumgar must have gotten tired of waiting around backstage, and proceeded to utterly ruin everything forever. Game 2 was, somehow, even more tenuous. Frequently I found myself down to only 1 or 2 critters, and though strong, they couldn't really do much against the opposing air force. Making some kind of poorly thought out attacks didn't help matters either, but eventually, brute force and aggression was enough to grind out a victory. The last game of the day was more of the same really... I went deep on keeping a few big guys around, and slowly worked through the lines of defence. Silumgar made an encore performance, but by this stage, I had gotten within striking distance of victory. A last desperate attack, followed by an admittedly cheap collateral damage to the face was enough to seal it.

So that was fun. Admittedly, there were a few moments where I got a little fired up over some big plays... I'm working on fixing that, but it's a gradual process. Rest assured that I wish nothing but happiness and excellent times on all my opponents and the LRR fans in general. Until next time... which won't be next week, since I'll be elsewhere without access to MTGO. But probably the week following, for sure.

ert+
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 21 Jun 2015, 09:20

I dont know what it is about Dragons of Tarkir but I just cant seem to perform in that format. I have been getting flooded and land screwed a insane amount of the time, never drawing my bombs, and just getting blown out by slight overreach.

I kid you not I had this happen. Its game two, first game opponent was White blue, so far this game opponent has been white blue I have seen defiant strike and three bounce spells.

"I could play this 5/4 and pass with mana up faking a pump spell, so I can prevent the attack, then next turn play these two heal cutters on dash and swing in for the win, or I could play the two heal cutters now, and then dash the 5/4 next turn.

(play 5/4) pass,

Opponent with three cards in hand and 2 islands and 3 plains. attacks with three 2/2s I block one of them, they play defiant strike on unblocked, draw a card, play it (artful maneuver)killing the 5/4 second main play swamp and mind rot I discard my two healcutters.

[–]Graham_LRR
BarcodeReader
First Video: Arms Race
Location: The lowest, deepest, darkest, SE-most corner of Iowa.

Postby BarcodeReader » 05 Jul 2015, 03:55

Well, crap. I joined the late night second draft and thought I could get through it, but after the first game of getting stomped I just collapsed asleep while waiting for the second round to start and got timed out of the match. What pains me the most is that it was against Admiral Memo, and the whole point of this thing is playing with people we recognize. If you read this Memo, I apologize. It was my mistake to try to do that draft in the first place, and I'm sorry you had to lose out on fun because of it. :(

"Great Paul's Bunyan, he's strong as an Ox!"
"But I have no horns... Or lumberjack friends..."

(Art by http://tominalley.deviantart.com/)
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 05 Jul 2015, 23:44

1. Don't worry too much. I've done that before. Dragons Prerelease, I was up for 20 hours, and then decided to do a prerelease... on-stream... Fell asleep between rounds. Had people in my chat laughing at me.

2. It was fine. I was just a little worried about you, since you were still connected but not responding. I knew it wasn't an Internet thing.

3. I played some casual Commander games between Rounds 1 and 3.

4. It was my only "win" of that draft, so there's that.

Onto the first draft:

I went 2-1, and would've gone 3-0, I think, if I didn't have mana screw Round 1. Here's the deck:

I think I'm finally getting better at drafting. I'm finally getting the hang of things, and I'm liking the DTK format.

I'll put an image of the MM15 deck here later, but I think I should've won the first round. Game 3, I had opponent dead on board when clock ran out.

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Jul 2015, 22:59

Alright, I actually had fun tonight, aside from Draft 2 Round 1, but later made up for it.

Went 2-1 with this DTK deck:

The Round I lost was pretty close anyway, so I felt good. I'm finally getting the hang of this. I absolutely loved killing Sarkhan with Sarkhan's Rage. I called it "Stop Hitting Yourself!"

Then, we did Cube and I drafted this monstrosity:

Hard-casting Blightsteel twice and cheating him out with Shelldock and Memory Jar once was so good. Also, The Abyss is a very interesting card. Never cast the Sphinx, Duplicant, or Chrome Mox, and Tezzeret always died quickly.

Omega Lairon

Postby Omega Lairon » 19 Jul 2015, 13:55

Okay, now that I've slept on it and had time to clear my head.

(Discalimer - I have nothing but love and respect for my opponents - the following post is 99% about me. Y'all did just fine)

So... 0-3, which I don't usually have a problem with if I get an unfortunate deck, or I'm wacky drafting, or I just get straight outclassed. Not this time. Almost half of the day's matches had glaring, obvious misplays which really damaged my ability to fight, potentially costing me games. I'll never know how the potential 3rd games might have gone (well, aside from the ones I was granted by kindly runners), so I won't claim that "I totally shoulda gone 1-2 / 2-1 / 3-0", but the point is that I feel like the 0-3 as it stands is total crap, even if I largely have only myself to blame.

Of course, there is the little matter of MTGO royally f***ing me over in the second round... against Adam, no less, which is usually a highlight of my entire fandraft week, so it really soured the whole thing. (Incidentally, I feel like I can't apologise enough for inadvertently spilling over my excess salt at the incident into the game chat. There's no need for that, and I feel like it made Adam's day unnecessarily worse too. I'm so so sorry friend)

So basically, I'm attacking, he's blocking. I have Valorous Stance in hand, with the obvious intention of making my guy indestructible and clearing the blockers. So MTGO, in its infinite wisdom, decides that my clearly and indusputibly clicking on MY creature should be interpreted as "oh, lol, yeah let's just go and do the opposite to that". Blocker gets indestructible, plan gets ruined, proceed to be utterly overwhelmed by attackers and have one less vital blocker to deal with it.

Again, not saying I wouldn't have lost that game anyway (his deck was pretty sweet), but the power to decide a match through fair means was completely removed from the players involved.

About the only even remotely good things to come of the week's fandraft is that at least it was free (reimbursement, yo), and good f***ing riddance to DTK forever. Or I guess until everyone gets tired of Origins and has a collective moment of insanity nostalgia and votes for it.

As an aside, I destroyed my game notes and deck screenshots out of disgust, but the deck was W/U with a focus on bolster and a few Double Strike dudes - Arashin Foremost being probably the best of them. Opponents were Serinde, Swagbats, and DomesticSleepers, who again, were excellent people and deserve none of the blame for anything that went wrong. Not by a long shot.

ert+
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 25 Jul 2015, 10:51

Anyone have any opinions on the fan draft for tonight?

[–]Graham_LRR
Karnasis
First Video: Paul

Postby Karnasis » 25 Jul 2015, 13:54

If we could start an hour earlier that would be fantastic :P (only if we're doing sealed though)
Omega Lairon

Postby Omega Lairon » 26 Jul 2015, 00:03

Monster marathon post today. Buckle in.

Sealed event up first - here's some card which got me to 2-2

Pretty decent, but not super fantastic in any one specific colour. I put most of my chips in the "maybe 'thopters happen?" Camp, and actually did a pretty decent job with it.

Round 1 - leebenningfield
Started things out in the grand tradition of drawing exactly [X-1] mana in the first game, X of course being the value at which interesting and fun things happen. Still, I put up some resistance for a few turns before getting mowed down. Game 2 was a similar story with a slightly happier ending - namely, what a *successful* rebound is supposed to look like. And then, despite starting out with a decently strong starting hand in the 3rd game, my dudes proved no match for the opposing army.

Round 2 - ElementalAlchemist
My opening hand of game 1 was pretty sketchy, but I decided to take a chance with it. Turned out to be a decent call, as a wall of dudes gradually marched out onto the field. Of course, it wasn't all smooth sailing, as there were plenty of defenders to match, resulting in a few empty turns. At some point,once my "wave of meat" had grown large enough, they decided to take their chances, slamming against their opposites in somewhat foolish attacks which eventually broke through the line. Game two was a lot more one-sided, as I was able to send out my dudes against an opponent who sadly seemed to be running low on luck. Hopefully it didn't come across as needlessly aggressive as it might have seemed.

Round 3 - randus2003
Didn't have a lot going on in game 1, but what little I had was used to its fullest, with a parade of smaller guys remaining a constant threat until glorious victory. Game 2 had a similar story, although the armies seemed a lot closer in strength this time around. After a few trades and some combat trickery, I was ready to rush in for the final assault... and then the 'thopters showed up outta nowhere. With the lethal damage deflected, and no other defenders for the counterattack, there was little else I could do. I kept a really bad (but oh so fun) hand for the last game, and fortunately it paid off. With a generous donations from Chandra's parents, and that enchantment which allows you to tap 'em to ping for 1, it was a slow and gradual process to remove the clutter and allow my troops to race in mostly unopposed.

Round 4 - Lord_Hosk
I can't recall much of game 1 here aside from being generally unable to keep soldiers from sticking around long enough to have much of an impact. No such trouble on Hosk's side of things though, which ended about as poorly as you'd imagine. Game 2 got weird for a bit... we both got to play out Mr. and Mrs. Nalaar, which I imagine would have been a little confusing for all 4 of them. There was some manner of damage not triggering, causing a thing that should be dead to not be (although its entirely possible it was just ordered wrong), although some creative ret-conning was permitted, resulting in both of us just ignoring a creature. And after all that, victory was claimed by a final attack capped off with a thopter being flung directly at Hosk's head. It was weird but fun. But it was back to reality for game 3 though, where some more parent-donated thopters helped stem the tide of attacks for a while. But then the blockers ran out, and so did my luck.

So in all, it was pretty fun times. This set already feels miles better than the old DTK stuff, and I'm looking forward to play more of it. For the most part at least - there's a few not so minor problems I've run into so far with a few cards, but it could be a lot worse.

Now I don't usually do a second event, which I hear is popular with the regulars of the fandraft, but I had so much fun with the sealed event that I wasn't ready for it to end. Here's what I ended up with

And while I remember - the "what'd ya open" report:

Pack 1 rare: Hangarback Walker
Pick 1: Hangarback Walker

Pack 2 rares: Nissa (foil), Talent of the Telepath
Pick 1: Talent of the Telepath

Pack 3 rare: Languish
Pick 1: Lightning Javelin

I know, I know, I really shoulda held onto shiny Nissa, but for one, I wasn't really in green and didn't feel like changing from my incredibly dubious "plan" of thopter rush, and secondly, I felt like being generous.

Didn't so so hot this time around though, crashing out to 0-3. Still, at least most of the games were competitive enough and I'm satisfied that the results were fair enough. These things happen, yo.

Round 1 - leebenningfield (again)
I spent most of game 1 on the retreat and unable to put much of a dent in the attacking creatures. Fortunately, Guardians of Melitis came to the rescue, helping me lock down the field for enough turns to generate the required mana to do really nasty things with a Ravaging Blaze to the face (thanks, spell mastery!) Game 2 opened with more unfriendly faces running in unopposed. Eventually, my guys decided to show up, only to get suppression chain'd and made essentially useless. Still, turnabout being fair play and all, the opposing army wasn't looking much better. A wave of removal basically wiped the board, but while my opponent found reinforcements, I could not. To end off the round, there was a really painful and grindy round of counters after counters. It felt like half the decks had disappeared by the time either of us were able to keep anything hanging around for longer than a turn. Numbers weren't on my side though, and with defeat looming, I opted for a face full of friendly fire. It was funnier that way.

Round 2 - dougnap
Not much I can really say about these games, they tended to move by very quickly. While I was busy messing around with drawing cards and combat trickery, my opponent opted to invest in actual creatures, which turned out to be a vastly superior strategy. Game 2 was practically the same game. The lesson of actually casting spells which did things evidently didn't sink in until it was too late. On the plus side, I (presumably) made some really cool looking light displays on my way down.

Round 3 - DomesticSleepers
Now then... I have some "opinions" about specific cards in this set. Specifically, that "Sphinx's Tutelage" is one of the most horrendous war crimes in recent memory, and its inclusion in a game which is *supposed* to be about fun should be reviewed most urgently. Nevertheless, as it stands, it's technically a legal and valid card, so I guess I can't stay too ticked off. But there's something that's so utterly wrong and unfair about losing via inability to draw, rather than as decided through the relative merits of one's spells and creatures. I'm not mad, just disappointed...

ert+

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”