Standard Discussion

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
square1
First Video: Unskippable: The Saboteur

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby square1 » 11 Jul 2016, 10:30

chetoos wrote:http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/perfection-comes-for-you/
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hedron-dust-may-cause-lycanthropy/
I brewed these up today, super quick, so they're probably not the best, but I'd love to hear some feedback on each of them. The first one is an idea that I had when Perfect Cell (Docent of Perfection) was spoiled, but I also recognize that you could probably take out the enchantment and toss in more tempo/removal.
As for the second one, oh god is it funny to play at the very least. If you can manage to untap with 4 of the "target creature" spells in hand and 4 mana, you can get an insane amount of damage going at your opponent, but then that is just "win more"

I think the problem you run into with both, and particularly the RG deck, is that it has a lot of weak cards if you don't draw your combo pieces (Zada/Silverfur) or if they get removed. So you lose some games simply to variance in addition to the usual bad luck draws. Some way to tutor for Zada like Eldritch Evolution might help. The UR deck is better because it has multiple engines, cards like Anticipate to draw into the pieces it needs, and more interaction with the opponent to stall them until you get your plan together. My main concern with the UR deck is that 4x of Docent and Nibilis may put your curve too high and too much at sorcery speed for those mid game plays, particularly when both die to Languish. Bedlam Reveler looks very interesting for this kind of deck, and I've actually had some good experiences with Guardian of Tazeem, which hits that nice 5 toughness threshold and does similar work to the Nibilis.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 14 Jul 2016, 11:16

As always, with a new set comes a dozen or so brews I want to try out. That I'll actually put together, I think I've narrowed it down to three:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-07-16 ... ium-aggro/
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/deep-fried-octopus/
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ghosting-1/

The last seems like just straight-up the most interesting to play.
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 14 Aug 2016, 12:16

Hope y'all had a good time at EMN game day! Recorded my best result in standard so far - second place with w/u spirits, (ridiculously fun deck to play).

And locally there was a superb variety of interesting and innovative decks out there today, the format seems very healthy at the moment.
square1

Postby square1 » 15 Aug 2016, 13:04

fantôme wrote:Hope y'all had a good time at EMN game day! Recorded my best result in standard so far - second place with w/u spirits, (ridiculously fun deck to play).

And locally there was a superb variety of interesting and innovative decks out there today, the format seems very healthy at the moment.

Glad to hear you were successful. :)

We only had 4 people show up at my Game Day. I won with Bant Humans [yay just needing to add Thalia], beating mono-black zombies and BW Eldrazi control. My victory feels a bit hollow given the limited pool of competition, but I'll still take it.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 13 Sep 2016, 05:31

I am going to brew up a standard deck after rotation, trying to get the new blink angel and a clone effect out at the same time. The deck is going to be Bant, and I need a good name for it.

Edit: Here is the link for the current deck: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/walk-into-the-club-like-walk-into-the-club-like-wa/
I'd love some suggestions for cards to abuse with the combo, as well as some suggestions for the name.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 13 Sep 2016, 11:13

Pious Evangel and Aetherflux Reservoir or Felidar Sovereign is another win condition to consider. The only thing that isn't a two-card payload for the combo is Sanctifier of Souls (but he probably just gets chump-blocked.

Also in the same wheelhouse is the Displacer/Watcher combo, which has more resilient payloads.

Vessel of Nascency and Eldritch Evolution (+ friends) can help you get your combo pieces. And maybe Negate/Void Grafter/etc. to protect it.

I feel like there is some "Chinese Whispers " pun to be had, but the specifics are currently eluding me.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 18 Sep 2016, 06:04

fantôme wrote:Pious Evangel and Aetherflux Reservoir or Felidar Sovereign is another win condition to consider. The only thing that isn't a two-card payload for the combo is Sanctifier of Souls (but he probably just gets chump-blocked.

Also in the same wheelhouse is the Displacer/Watcher combo, which has more resilient payloads.

Vessel of Nascency and Eldritch Evolution (+ friends) can help you get your combo pieces. And maybe Negate/Void Grafter/etc. to protect it.

I feel like there is some "Chinese Whispers " pun to be had, but the specifics are currently eluding me.

I considered the evangel on its own for lifegain, but didn't end up putting it in, and thanks to the ninth bridge patrol, I have a new payload that works just fine, though does still end up getting chump blocked. Also, at this point, my green mana is only for the ego, which hopefully can be replaced by a new clone in Aether Revolt, so I doubt the Vessel or Eldritch would be much use, sorry.

I also took out the decoction module for some draw power, so there is that. Glimmer of Genius, even though I don't use energy is pretty sweet.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 04 Oct 2016, 07:45

Ok ladies and gents, I would like a bit of feedback for my new standard brew. I didn't get to play much over the summer, so I wasn't sure what to build. I decided I wanted to go all in on Aerial Responder and Odric. Aerial responder does EVERYTHING, and letting all my creatures do everything seemed like a fun plan. This is what I came up with.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mono-whi ... ly-humans/

Its less aggressive than the previous mono-white humans deck, so I am worried it is too slow. Let me know what you fine folks think :)
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 04 Oct 2016, 14:41

Booster wrote:Ok ladies and gents, I would like a bit of feedback for my new standard brew. I didn't get to play much over the summer, so I wasn't sure what to build. I decided I wanted to go all in on Aerial Responder and Odric. Aerial responder does EVERYTHING, and letting all my creatures do everything seemed like a fun plan. This is what I came up with.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mono-white-mostly-humans/

Its less aggressive than the previous mono-white humans deck, so I am worried it is too slow. Let me know what you fine folks think :)

I gave a suggestion, but I still would love some feedback on my angel bounce deck, linked above :)
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 06 Oct 2016, 10:17

So I'm currently trying to fiddle with a new standard deck. I want to play Mono-White Stone Haven Goggles. This deck entails Stone Haven Outfitter plus Inventor's Goggles for a 4/5 on turn 2. I know that won't always happen, but it's the main idea of the deck. I just need some help crafting a list around this. Sigarda's Aid is in, as is Captain's Claws and Stoneforge Masterwork. Other creature's and removal are kinda the issue. And maybe some other equipment that would be great to play for free.
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 06 Oct 2016, 23:20

chetoos: Considering your mana curve, a cheaper draw spell than Glimmer of Genius may be better, the four-drop slot is pretty busy at the moment. Also considering the height of the curve, 22 lands is definitely too few.

Booster: This deck would love Lone Rider - more Odric keyword funtimes, and not too hard to flip between Lieutenant & Always Watching. Personally I would cut 2x Expedition Envoy and 1x Always Watching. Also sideboard Selfless Spirit is a must these days.

RadioshackRaider: Toolcraft Exemplar and Thraben Inspector should both be at home. I was looking at this thinking - could this maybe finally be a home for Stoneforge Acolyte? Probably not unless some low-CMC Allies somehow find themselves in the deck. Stasis Snare gets a lot better with DC gone, Declaration in Stone always puts in work. I'm actually not a fan of Sigarda's Aid unless its part of a combo, as multiple copies of it are entirely redundant. But that could just be me. Are you definitely wanting to be only mono-white?

Edit - also Booster, don't forget to announce your keyword combinations with ridiculous portmanteaus: Aerial Responder has Fligilink, Ormendahl has Flynkhastible.
Booster

Postby Booster » 07 Oct 2016, 07:16

I wonder if Declaration in Stone will even be good in new standard. Sorcery speed removal cant deal with Smugglers Copter. Stasis Snare and the like also feels worse because of stuff like fragmatize. Any suggestions for good white removal in this brave new world?
square1

Postby square1 » 07 Oct 2016, 11:04

Sky whaler's shot. kills thopters, veteran motorists, and depala at instant speed, scry 1.
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 08 Oct 2016, 13:33

fantôme: I'd prefer to stay mono white as the mana base would be cheaper. I just don't have enough of any of the duals in any colour to make 2/3 colour work in Standard. I like Sigarda's Aid in this kin d of list as it lets me use equipment more like a combat trick and gives me something to do if I don't use the mana I keep up for removal.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 19 Jan 2017, 17:15

I need a name for this deck. The current name isn't funny or obscure enough to warrant being that long, so I want a better name. For reference, I named my Whirler Virtuoso combo deck "Whirler Symphonic presents Raymond Scott's Powerhouse in E♭", and my current thought is "Hedrons at Daybreak". I don't know.
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 20 Jan 2017, 11:28

With Expedite and Expertise being key cards, I want to say something to do with "Grinding XP"?
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 20 Jan 2017, 12:11

Oh, that's really good! I had come up with Beauty and the Beasts, but that's really good.
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 20 Jan 2017, 13:04

Also the Expertise looks like it could open up some pretty bonkers Zada shenanigans, I'd love to hear how you get on with it.

Also also, Standard sure is going to be different with the new release/bans. What are you fine folks brewing or looking forward to?
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 20 Jan 2017, 14:38

Oh yes, that's what it's in there for. One of my early ones draws me a bunch from Expedite, and the rest use all the pump spells I drew.
Booster

Postby Booster » 23 Jan 2017, 07:00

Just threw together this very rough G/B counters deck. Anyone have any suggestions?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-01-17 ... -counters/
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 23 Jan 2017, 12:30

I love that some of the AER archetypes are so well supported that one can create very different likewise decks. I was pondering a B/G counters deck in a very different direction: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-01-17 ... -counters/

Yours seems more geared towards big midrange plays, so I would definitely recommend a couple more lands and some earlier mana dorks to consistently get things rolling before your opponent can establish. Reliable targeted removal is great in these sorts of decks, Ruinous Path will always be a very welcome sight (plus bonus Awaken synergy), and I'd say is a four-of.

That I'm not a fan of: Peema Outrider is fairly underwhelming, Monstrous Onslaught is conditional on already having a large presence and is anti-synergistic (dysergistic?) with Walking Ballista, likewise Rishka's Expertise runs the risk of being an entirely dead card, and Revolt on Fatal Push isn't going to be triggering very reliably.

___

That I'll probably end up putting together, I've been brewing something (shockingly) not Blue. It's mono-Black aggro/control energy, based around the sweet synergy of Siphoner & Machinations. Whilst mathematically favourable in terms of ratios of 2 & 3 damage and repeatable & one-shot damage, everything being so dainty there is still a danger of lack of reach - would appreciate ideas for something big and stompy in additional to general suggestions: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dark-tower-4/
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 01 Apr 2017, 03:46

I'd love some sideboard help on my two standard decks:
RPG forest
And the Animaniacs
I just edited the Animaniacs to be a bit different, but hopefully it still runs the same
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 15 Apr 2017, 04:16

New cat deck for Amonkhet. I'd love some feedback on it.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”