Vorthos Volleyball

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Vorthos Volleyball

Postby chetoos » 17 Apr 2016, 10:22

This is a game that I found on Tumblr, and I figured it could be applied to the forums too. Here's a link to the rules for the game, so with that said, I think we should theme this around Shadows Over Innistrad, at least to start off with.

Now, to begin:
Question: Why does the Pyre Hound get counters from instants and sorceries?
Flavor Text: Westvale Cult Leader (Bonus points if you make it thematically match the Hanweir militia leader's flavor text)
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
Ladsworld
First Video: Friday Nights

Re: Vorthos Volleyball

Postby Ladsworld » 18 Apr 2016, 13:29

Question : He plays fetch with spells flying all over the place and all the exercise makes him stronger.
Flavor Text : "Now that loyalty and adoration is being put to use."

Question : Why does Militant Inquisitor not need to hold a sword to get stronger from it?
Flavor Text : Give Arlinn Kord a 3rd text box.
Chat Name: DrChillbrain
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 18 Apr 2016, 16:06

Question: Militant inquisitor's power comes from the threat of punishment, and the more equipment you control, the more he has to threaten his potential victims with.
Flavor Text: "The moon grants me power, yes, but you'll find I'm quite capable without it."

Question: Why does grotesque mutation give lifelink?
Flavor Text: Thalia's Lieutenant
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 18 Apr 2016, 23:54

Question: Because it is another mouth to feed.
Flavor text: "She taught me to not fear death, and to do my taxes."

Question: Why is Unimpeded Trespasser covered in a bit of ice?
Flavor text: Invocation of Saint Traft
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 19 Apr 2016, 10:32

Question: You know that cold spot on your neck? That one that you feel behind you right now? But when you turn, it's nothing? That's a Geist, sneaking up on you.
Flavor Text: "Traft, I need your grace. Prove to me not all Angels have fallen."

Question: How does Ulrich's Kindred grant indestructible?
Flavor Text: Sage of Ancient Lore/Werewolf of Ancient Hunger (You can give it to one or both sides)
Ladsworld

Postby Ladsworld » 19 Apr 2016, 12:40

Question: Ulrich tears out one of it's teeth, which are incredibly sturdy, and gives it to a creature to use as a shield.
Flavor Text: Scholars come from all over Innistrad to learn of the Ancient Ways.. // ...but he doesn't always welcome visitors.

Question: How does Manic Scribe mill people?
Flavor Text: Rattlechains
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 19 Apr 2016, 16:15

Question: Milling is representative of you losing your mind in certain ways, since your library is your memories or whatever, so the Manic Scribe's writing, he comes with a set of his writing, and it makes you go a bit mad, which causes you to mill, and when he's delirious, he's just manically writing down whatever he can, which is what causes the milling every turn.
Flavor Text: "They say you can still hear the rattle of chains at the old jailer's house at the top of the hill."

Question: Why does essence flux only give counters to spirits?
Flavor Text: Goldnight Castigator
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 19 Apr 2016, 23:54

Question: Everyone is capable of making the journey through the flux, but the Spirits feel it much deeper than most beings, and are emboldened by their experience.
Flavor: "In Avacyn's name, I put an end to your wickedness!"

Question: Why does Erdwal Illuminator give you an additional free investigation?
Flavor: Drogskol Cavalry
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 20 Apr 2016, 00:01

Question: The clue was already there, it was just dark enough to see without an additional light source.
Flavor: "Take to the skies! No, literally!"

Question: Why does Mindwrack Demon doesn't hurt you when you are delirious?
Flavor: Topplegeist
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 20 Apr 2016, 08:03

Question: Because the experience you're feeling from seeing the Mindwrack demon, the creeping insanity in your brain, you already feel when you are delirious, so you're used to it.
Flavor Text: "No, we need more candles, the geists keep knocking them over."

Question: Why does Geralf's masterpiece get weaker from cards in your hand?
Flavor Text: Kessig Forgemaster/Flameheart werewolf
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 21 Apr 2016, 15:47

New theme: Enemy Colors!
Question: How does Biomass Mutation embiggen creatures like the Nivmagus elemental or a B/W spirit token, who are not made of biomass?
Flavor Text: Balefire liege
eostby

Postby eostby » 21 Apr 2016, 21:35

Question: The Biomass used for the mutation envelops all of the creatures, making them seem bigger than they actually are.
Flavor Text: The echoes of the most powerful lightning helix continue to be felt to this day.

Question: With the amount of intelligence the Izzet seem to accumulate, how have they not either taken over Ravnica or blown the entire plane up already?
Flavor Text: Golgari Rot Farm
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

chetoos

Postby chetoos » 22 Apr 2016, 08:31

Question: They're led by Niv-Mizzet, and if you think for one second he would let the plane be destroyed, you're as insane as some of the izzet. As for taking over, the guildpact prevents that, as does the fact that, as smart and powerful as he likely is, the other guilds would definitely step in to stop him.
Flavor Text: "You're farming what?"

Question: If Kytheon hadn't planeswalked to Bant his first time, do you think he would be RW, instead of just W?
Flavor Text: Kruphix, god of horizons
Ladsworld

Postby Ladsworld » 26 Apr 2016, 17:49

Q: It's likely.
Flavor Text: "The horizon is the undiscovered. The unseen. That which is waiting to be explored."

Q: Why does Nahiri, the Harbringer only exile tapped creatures and artifacts?
Flavor Text: Shardless Agent
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 26 Apr 2016, 18:47

Q: Because she takes those without energy and gets rid of them. Enchantments don't have the energy to resist, so they don't need to be tapped.
Flavor Text: If you don't tie yourself down to any one faction, you're free to find things from all of them.

Q: Why does the divinity of pride's edge not grant any kind of abilities that it has, aside from the getting bigger?
Flavor Text: Teysa, Orzhov Scion or Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts (Bonus points for both, extra bonus points for thematic progression.
Ladsworld

Postby Ladsworld » 02 May 2016, 15:59

Q: The divinity has a serious superiority complex and can't be bothered to give the creture any abilities. (Seriously. The *Divinity* of *Pride.*)
Flavor Text: (For Envoy of Ghosts because I coudn't think of anything for Scion.) "Advisors! Handle this situation."

New Theme! Pre New-Border sets.
Why does Mirari's Wake buff your creatures?
Flavor Text: Dwarven Hold
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 02 May 2016, 19:52

Question: The Mirari is a very powerful artifact, and even its wake is enough to increase the mana generated from lands, and increase the power of the creatures who travel through its wake. Think of it like magical steroids from the air.
Flavor Text: Dwarves will store nearly anything, and keep it long enough for it to become valuable

Question: Riftstone portal. How it do?
Flavor Text: Drudge Spell
Ladsworld

Postby Ladsworld » 04 May 2016, 13:55

Q: When the portal is destroyed, a large amount of built-up mana is released from it, imbuing all nearby lands with a powerful energy.
Flavor Text: "Why do I need two bodies to reanimate a single skeleton? Trust me, you don't want to know."
- Nevinyrall, Necromancer

Question: How can you pay life to destroy AEther Storm?
Flavor Text: Astral Steel
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 04 May 2016, 17:36

Question: Did you ever see the episode of Power Rangers Lost Galaxy where the pink galaxy ranger went into the middle of a power vortex to destroy a sword that was gonna destroy everyone, and died in the process? It's like that, except you don't die.
Flavor Text: "These gifts from above are more plentiful when the gods are appeased" - cleric of the Aven

Question: How does the exiled doomsayer increase the cost of Morphs?
Flavor Text: AEther rift
CaptainEnder7
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby CaptainEnder7 » 10 May 2016, 17:41

Question: In his efforts to hold back the future, he has unleashed magic that tries to keep things from changing. Change is at the very heart of morphing and is therefore harder to do.
Flavor Test: "The rifts in the AEther can be useful, I just wish they would deposit our troops on the ground instead." - Freyalise

Question: What does Mageta the Lion do to everyone around him to make sure they die and stay dead?
Flavor Text: Kjeldoran Home Guard

"Ok, so, some sort of well-dressed ostrich. What's the next move?"

"CaptainEnder7: Space Asshole and Rogue Space Pooper" - Kathleen (and Graham) Commercial
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 10 May 2016, 18:59

Question: Mageta is a spellshaper, so he has access to powerful magics. The spell he has is unstable, which is why it requires two cards to be discarded, and is simply meant to utterly destroy all creatures within a specific radius of him, likely by purifying light, since he's white. He can't control it well enough to avoid his allies, but as he is casting it, he is immune.
Flavor Text: "Every time I come back to the villages, I swear there's one less among the home guard." - Darien, king of Kjeldor

New theme: Auras
Question: Why does the armadillo cloak grant triggered lifelink?
Flavor Text: Aspect of Wolf
Ladsworld

Postby Ladsworld » 12 May 2016, 17:02

Q: The cloak imbues you with the carnivorous impulses of the Armadillo, cauing you to eat the corpses of the fallen. (Armadillos eat meat, right?)
Flavor Text: "Come, and Feast." - Ulrich, Krallenhorde Alpha (Woo, Topical!)

Q: Why can Dreampod Druid only make saprolings when he is enchanted?
Flavor Text: Artifact Ward
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 12 May 2016, 17:34

Question: He uses the latent energy of the aura attached to him to make the saprolings. However, he can only do it each upkeep because that's how long it takes for the auras to recharge. He's only adept enough to make one each turn, though, which is why he doesn't get 1 for each aura. If he's not enchanted, there's no auras to draw energy from
Flavor Text: "Let's see Mishra get through this," Urza

Question: How does Ajani's chosen redirect the auras to the cat tokens it makes?
Flavor Text: Armament of Nyx
eostby

Postby eostby » 12 May 2016, 20:40

Question: The Auras are symbolic of Ajani choosing the cat; they are but mere cats until Ajani bestows his favor upon them.
Flavor Text: When the Pantheon calls upon you, will you be ready?

Question: Why does Graceblade Artisan get bonuses from Auras when the art clearly depicts the character holding a sword (and thus should benefit from Equipment instead)?
Flavor Text: Angelic Destiny

theycallmejokke
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1

Postby theycallmejokke » 13 May 2016, 05:27

I'll give this one a wack.

Question: Her sword clearly glows, she is getting her bonus from channeling your magic (the enchantment) through her sword. The sword is simply a conduit for your magic and her focused discipline, another sword wouldn't help her.
Flavor Text: "Her destiny is to stop evil, should evil ever manage to stop her, another will pick up her destiny."

Question: Why does you simply owning a enchantment make Blood-Cursed Knight more vamperic (Stronger, gains life drain)?
Flavor Text: Demonic Pact
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”