What to do with leftover commons

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
theicyhandofdeath
First Video: Doctors Hate Her

What to do with leftover commons

Postby theicyhandofdeath » 18 Apr 2016, 21:44

So while I was working on my colorless edh deck I came across a card called "Razorfield Thresher" it was a 7 drop colorless for 6/4. It has some of what might just be my favorite flavor text of all time and I woumd up buying it for my deck. After realizing that it wasn't that good of a card I replaced it with All is dust but I still love that flavor text and I started thinking what if there was a format that was just flavor text cards, no abilities, just flavor text. So I put it forward to you, the forum, to help me come up with the specifics for this format. So far I think it should be no cards with any sort of abilities are allowed except maybe flying to add a little variety and strategy but I can't decide if it should be 60 or 100 card decks and if it would be a singleton format or not also a name for the format. I'd love feedback on this.
theicyhandofdeath

Re: What to do with leftover commons

Postby theicyhandofdeath » 18 Apr 2016, 21:54

Now that I think more on it if flying creatures are allowed there would be a limit on how many per deck there could be. Also there might be a minimum requirement on the amount of flavor text ie. 2 or 3 lines.
Aeralis
First Video: enn: Nerd Flu

Postby Aeralis » 19 Apr 2016, 09:46

I like the idea of building a deck around flavor text, but forbidding the use of any abilities sounds kinda bland and unfun, the opposite of what the core idea is. Plus you wouldn't be able to use any cards with some really good flavoring, like Uninvited Geist and Just the Wind.
theicyhandofdeath

Postby theicyhandofdeath » 19 Apr 2016, 11:31

Yeah maybe it can have abilites but I'm struggling with a way of quantifying what constitutes good flavor.
theicyhandofdeath

Postby theicyhandofdeath » 20 Apr 2016, 05:40

I came up with something: you can have whatever cards you want but you have to be able to tell a story that incorporates all of them and it can't be the story from one of the sets and it has to make some sort of sense.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 20 Apr 2016, 06:17

60 card singleton in that case, so you don't have to do too much writing for the 100 card singleton version.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”