Highlander Deck Brew - Hypothetical

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
KungFuChemist
First Video: It's been so long I've forgotten

Highlander Deck Brew - Hypothetical

Postby KungFuChemist » 15 May 2016, 19:11

So I've been following TTC and Friday Nights for a while. I don't have the money or the time to actually play MtG (premed biochem college student), but brewing is always my favorite thing to do in games. I've taken an interest in eternal formats and Canadian Highlander in particular. I'm trying to make a deck centered around the idea that every creature played makes your other creatures more powerful. To that end I began with a focus on Exalted and Bolster with an equipment suite and a set of control spells to stave off removal (which plants me pretty firmly in a Bant color scheme). The idea is to make a board where any card on the board could become a threat just by turning sideways. If my opponent were to destroy one creature, any other card could step up and use the same synergy and equipment to be just as powerful. I have a few issues, though, that I want to ask the community since I haven't played MtG since a little after Ice Age and I don't live even close to a place that plays Canadian Highlander.

1) Is a deck that already works like this in existence? I've looked on the Canadian Highlander webpage, but a scan of the most common decks didn't reveal anything. There are a few Bant lists, but they don't really focus on this strategy. I honestly just don't know enough to spot keywords that might mean the above strategy was in place.

2) Is this even a good idea deck-wise? I see it being really susceptible to hand attack/pox (since it needs to flood the board with synergy pieces) and reanimator (since I'd have to double or even triple block to hope to destroy a reanimator target since exalted only works on attack).

3) What kind of range should I be looking for with this deck? Exalted cards are generally low cost and aggro might work, but my hope is that the longer the game goes, the more and more powerful the synergy will get.The more I build this, the more I think that midrange is probably the answer here.

4) Are there any cards without the above keywords (Exalted and Bolster) which might be a good idea in this deck?

Thank you all! Keep in mind there's about zero chance that I'll actually play this deck since there isn't a Canadian Highlander scene in Houston, TX that I know of and I have approximately negative dollars to actually put this together. This is all conceptual and just for fun, so don't sweat it too hard.

- KungFuChemist

Edit:
Of course it would be good if I put down the latest ideas for the deck... duh. Here is what I have so far arranged by type and CMC:
Creatures:
1:
Birds of Paradise
Noble Hierarch
Akrasan Squire
Avacyn's Pilgrim
Elvish Mystic
Llanowar Elves

2:
Knotvine Paladin
Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
Aven Squire
Ethercaste Knight
Knight of Glory
Qasali Pridemage
Sighted-Caste Sorcerer
Sigiled Paladin
Stoneforge Mystic
Riptide Mangler (Yeah, exalted + this is just nuts.)

3:
Court Archers
Frontline Sage
Giltspire Avenger

4:
Rafiq of the Many
Rhox Charger
Sublime Angel

Instants:
1:
Swords to Plowshares
Turn to Dust (?)
Dispel
Power Sink

Enchantments:
2:
Gleam of Authority
Writ of Passage

3:
Ardent Plea

4:
Angelic Benediction

5:
Finest Hour

Equipment:
2:
Umezawa's Jitte
Sword of the Animist
Sigil of Valor

3:
Sword of Fire and Ice
Sword of Feast and Famine (?)

5:
Batterskull
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Re: Highlander Deck Brew - Hypothetical

Postby fantôme » 17 May 2016, 23:12

Graft, Evolve and Soulbond mechanics would all work well with this style of deck, the first two also opening up some possibilities for +1/+1 counter synergies/shenanigans.

Whether or not it would be a competitive deck I don't know, but it'd be an awesome deck.
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 19 May 2016, 00:46

With the caveat that its last update was 8 months ago, I looked on the official Canadian Highlander site for their archetype breakdowns, and I think you're describing something like the BantBlade deck ( http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/matt-gri ... -24th-4-1/ ). Now, the comparison won't be one-to-one, but that seems the most similar to what you were thinking, so it can at least serve as a sketchpoint or possibly a list to build towards.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 23 May 2016, 15:57

So I've brewed my own Highlander deck. This is my first attempt at the format and I've based it on on of Alex's Mardu decks that I liked the look of, but since I'm missing a fair few card I've replaced them with pet cards that loosely work in their place. I couldn't even really find any pointed cards I wanted to play. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mardu-pet-cards/

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”