Setshifted card maker game

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Setshifted card maker game

Postby chetoos » 16 Oct 2016, 14:29

Ok, so the last two times I tried to introduce fun forum games to this forum, they kind of died, but this time, I think we've got a winner! The game is from the MTG salvation forum (Better rules at that link), and you're given a card, and a set, and you're supposed to design a version of the card as if it were from that set, such as Surrak Bearpunch in Shards of Alara turning into this:
Surrak, Jund Survivalist 2BRG
Legendary Creature- Human Warrior
Flash
BRG: Return Surrak to owner's hand. Activate this ability only if Surrak is in the graveyard.
At the bottom of the food chain, the only place to go is up.
6/6

So, to start us off, I'll begin with something I think will be interesting: Aethersquall ancient in Scars of Mirrodin
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
WP&P
First Video: Friday Nights

Re: Setshifted card maker game

Postby WP&P » 16 Oct 2016, 19:46

I'll bite!

So this is just basically taking the card as-is and converting it to use the set's mechanics, as I understand the game.

What I'd like to see is Eidolon of Countless Battles in Urza's Saga
What do model railroading and Magic: The Gathering have in common?
I don't have enough time or money for either!

http://wpandp.com/Home/the-rest/borderlands-a-custom-mtg-set/eclipse-an-expansion-for-borderlands/
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 17 Oct 2016, 04:46

That is correct :) I also like to apply flavor a bit to it. One of the cards I did on MTGS was Chandra, fire of Kaladesh in EMN, and so I made her touched by Emrakul, which was fun.

Now, onto the game at hand, I used the Hidden enchantment mechanic from Urza's to inspire myself here. It starts as an Aura, which none of the hidden enchantments do, but I like the way this design worked itself out.

Next, I'd like to see Kytheon, Hero of Akros as if he were from Khans of Tarkir, the Khans side of things. You don't have to do the backside if you don't want, but I think it'd be sweet to see.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 17 Oct 2016, 11:24

Rough balancing - numbers would definitely need tweaked.
"""
Kytheon, Hero of the Krumar {W}
Legendary Creature -- Human Soldier

At end of combat, if three or more creatures dealt combat damage to a player this turn, exile Kytheon, Hero of the Krumar, then return him to the battlefield transformed under his owner's control.

1BG: Target creature gets +1/+1 and gains deathtouch until end of turn. Activate this ability only anytime you could cast a Sorcery.

2/1
"""
"""
Gideon, ____
[W indicator] Planeswalker -- Gideon
+2: Untap up to two target creatures you control.
+0: Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature that attacked this turn.
-3: Creatures you control gain your choice of indestructible, vigilance, or lifelink until end of turn.
{3}
"""

Let's go for... Rattleclaw Mystic in Zendikar.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 17 Oct 2016, 12:33

Joraga Claw Mystic 1G
Creature - Elf Druid
Kicker 3
T: Add G to your mana pool.
When ~ enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, create a 2/2 green elemental creature token with "when this creature dies, add 3 mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool."
2/1
I struggled with this, until I remembered Kicker was in zendikar. I'm contemplating making the token's triggered ability an activated one, with a cost of 2 mana, but otherwise, this is the design.

Next: it of the horrid swarm in dragon's maze
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 17 Oct 2016, 14:17

Hah, I did the same thing - 'Kicker? Was that in... oh, it _was_ in Zendikar!' :P

[Still up: It of the Horrid Swarm --> Dragon's Maze]
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 17 Oct 2016, 18:05

Okay, I guess I'll keep this going...

My initial idea was something I probably wouldn't put at common, so I ran the other direction with it:

"""
Xith, Unending Swarm | 2GG
Legendary Creature -- Insect
When ~ enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 green Insect creature token.
At the beginning of your upkeep, Populate, then sacrifice a nontoken creature.
4/4
"""

An approach more likely to be seen at common:

"""
Kraul Gatherer | 2GG
Creature -- Insect Warrior
Sacrifice a nontoken creature: create two 1/1 green Insect creature tokens.
Control the food and you control the swarm. Create the food...
3/3
"""

Other ideas that crossed my mind:
> Sacrifice a creature, create an X/X token where X is P/T/CMC.
> Sacrifice X creatures on etb, create an X/X, populate X times.

Okay, next card, hmmm... Ah, I have one:
Dryad Arbor ---> Journey into Nyx
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 18 Oct 2016, 04:20

It doesn't need to stay the same rarity, that's totally fine to change.
Sylvan Arbor 1G
Enchantment Creature - Dryad
You may pay 1 and return a land to your hand instead of paying ~'s mana cost
T: Add G to your mana pool
Constellation - Whenever an enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, create a 0/1 green plant creature token.
1/1
I know I'm adding functionality, but I needed to add the constellation ability, and it didn't make sense to have that be the one to add the mana. An alternate version is below
Sylvan Arbor G
Enchantment Creature - Dryad
Bestow 1G
T: Add G to your mana pool
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and gains "T: Add G to your mana pool".
1/1

Next: Kozilek, the Great Distortion in Conflux
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 07 Nov 2016, 06:09

Next: Silumgar, the Drifting Death in Theros
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 07 Nov 2016, 14:51

I tried to go back and give it an enchantment creature frame, but couldn't. Oh well.

Next, I want to see a Khan on Innistrad. Your choice of Khan, though they should likely be changed to whichever "tribe" their clan's allied color pair is. So, Surrak would be a Werewolf, Zurgo would be a vampire, etc.
WP&P
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby WP&P » 07 Nov 2016, 19:34

Here's my take on a Khan in Innistrad: Sidisi

and I like the call so I'm gonna say the next entry should also be one of the Khans on Innistrad, i.e. one of the other ones.
What do model railroading and Magic: The Gathering have in common?
I don't have enough time or money for either!

http://wpandp.com/Home/the-rest/borderlands-a-custom-mtg-set/eclipse-an-expansion-for-borderlands/
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 08 Nov 2016, 12:00

Surrak Wolfclaw 2RG
Legendary Creature - Human Werewolf
Trample
Surrak Wolfclaw can't be countered
At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, transform Surrak Wolfclaw
4/4
///
Surrak, Alpha elite
(RG color indicator) Legendary Creature - Werewolf Warrior
Trample, other werewolf creatures you control have trample and get +1/+1
Werewolf creature spells you control can't be countered.
At the beginning of each upkeep, if a player cast 2 or more spells last turn, transform Surrak, Alpha Elite.
6/6

Next, I'm going to specify that we move on to Dark Ascension for the next Khan. If this continues, I think that the other two Khans should be done in Avacyn Restored mechanics, but sticking with their tribe, so a Spirit Narset.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 25 Apr 2017, 05:04

bump?

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”