Amonkhet Conjecture and Discussion

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Amonkhet Conjecture and Discussion

Postby SixFootTurkey » 26 Feb 2017, 00:06

There didn't appear to be one yet, so here we go.

Part of me would prefer to keep this to officially previewed cards/information, but I realize that is a hard ask formany. Instead, all I'llask is if you are discussing leaks, preface your post with a warning.

This is for all discussion Amonkhet related - lore, mechanics, etc.

Enjoy!
Lycodrake
First Video: Friday Nights

Re: Amonkhet Conjecture and Discussion

Postby Lycodrake » 26 Feb 2017, 05:47

There's the crocodile-dragon that was first shown, which at this point I'm going to connect to Ammit/Ammut, the Heart Devourer.

Meanwhile the gods themselves are rather interesting. From the full art revealed recently, it seems like they really did order them WUBRG when revealed, despite the Crocodile-head and Jacka-head potentially being Black or Red and vise-versa.

Cat-head could be based on Sekhmet and/or Bastet, though the bow could mean something different. White.
Ibis-head is almost absolutely based on Thoth, though I'm not sure what its weapon is. Blue.
Croc-head is basically Sobek, though the zombies at its feet are a bit odd, but WOTC doesn't transfer directly - they use analogues. Black. The staff is interesting.
Jackal-head is interestingly Anubis-analogue yet also Red. Double-headed spear/staff.
Cobra-head might be Wadjet...or the Egyptian snake goddess that I don't remember how to spell correctly. Green. "Avacyn-like" spear/staff.

Lili has mummies in her picture, so I'm hoping to see WB zombie-mummies.
Banana zombie exists on 2 planes, obviously a Planeswalker! /s
Nissa has jackal statues, but her staff is glowing blue for some reason? >.>
Gids has a complete remake of his usual outfit, which is kinda weird. I suppose fanservice for those that like that sort of thing?
theycallmejokke
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1

Postby theycallmejokke » 26 Feb 2017, 10:13

That is ofcause if the gods are mono colored, I could easily see them being two colors, heck if I poke my head inside magical chrismas land I could even convince my self I could see them being three colors.
I wonder if Nissa blue glow have something to do with her stay in Kaladesh, every card where she is depicted manipulating Æther in that set, she glows blue, or atleas blue-green.
Chad's new outfit I've pretty much just chucked up to fanservice, people got to have their man-waifus, it's fair play.

Wizard usally like to have their new set interact with the old block in new ways, with all the servos and rally in Kaladesh I wounder if Amonkhet might not have a sacrifice mechnic to it?
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
Lycodrake
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Lycodrake » 30 Mar 2017, 17:31

Seems like I correct on all accounts for the gods, based on MaRo's comment that they would also have Invocation printings.
theycallmejokke

Postby theycallmejokke » 03 Apr 2017, 13:13

Three color gods dream dashed, oh well Hazoret the Fervent seems really rad. It was very interresting to read Maro write about Amonkhet, I for one defently look forward to part 2.
theycallmejokke

Postby theycallmejokke » 11 Apr 2017, 07:55

Holy heck! I guess we now know why Nissa's staff where glowing blue, Blue/Green Nissa, did not see that coming.
Link: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... 2017-04-11

Also I'm sorta curious to see if Dread Wanderer could actually make into Alex's Zombielander deck, or if James will simply have another zombie to torment Alex with.
Link: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... 2017-04-11

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”