VOYAGER RPG: Rules, Questions, Player Signup and OOC Chat

Share your latest adventures with anything tabletop: RPGs, boardgames, miniatures, etc.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

VOYAGER RPG: Rules, Questions, Player Signup and OOC Chat

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 02 Aug 2013, 12:23

So I decided to call the RPG 'Voyager' in the end, and this is the thread for all admin and OOC stuff. If anyone wants to sign up to the game, ask about anything or generally say anything relating to but not actually in the game, here is the place to do it.

Rules wrote:Game Mechanics

Turns/Rounds
Outside of combat, players may make actions at their own pace. Results of actions will be posted as the GM sees and rolls for them. There is no hard limit on the number or rate of actions that may be taken outside of combat, but the GM may refuse to roll for an action if it seems unreasonable under the circumstances. During combat, rolls will be made all at the same time for each Round. A Round takes place either once all of the players involved in the combat have posted their combat action, or if an unreasonable amount of time has passed waiting for someone.

Standard Actions
This is the template for the outcome of a dice roll on standard (non-combat) actions.

1- Counterproductive Failure. (You suffer a negative consequence.)
2- Standard failure.
3- Minor Success. (You partially do what you intended, but do not entirely complete the action.)
4- Standard Success.
5- Major Success.
6- Overproductive Success.(There will be an unforeseen negative consequence to your success.)

Combat

Initiative
At the beginning of a fight, each player and each enemy rolls for Initiative with two six-sided dice. The player or enemy with the highest total acts first; the player or enemy with the next highest totals acts second; and so on. The Initiative rolls stay the same each Round until the fight is over.

A player or enemy may choose to reroll their Initiative during combat. This counts as their action for that Round.

Fighting
This is how rolling works in combat.

When A Player Attacks
The player makes two rolls. The first roll is for accuracy, and the second roll is for damage.

Accuracy Roll:
If the player's accuracy roll (with bonuses) is a 4 or higher, then the attack connects.

Damage Roll:
If a player's attack connects, then they make their Damage Roll.

1: No damage is caused.
2 or 3: Minor damage is caused, such as a bruise or scrape.
4 or 5: Moderate damage is caused.
6: Major damage is caused.
7: Incapacitating damage is caused.
8 or higher: The enemy is heavily wounded and knocked unconscious.

Non-Lethal, or Special, Attacks
If the player wishes to attack in an unconventional, tactical, or non-lethal way, they can state that in their combat action. For example, a player may wish to attack an enemy's feet in order to knock them to the ground.

When making an attack of this type, the player will receive a -2 penalty to their damage roll, but may suffer other beneficial effects (so a strike to the head intended to knock out is more likely to do just that).

When A Player Is Attacked
The player makes two rolls. The first roll is for defense, and the second is for hardiness.

Defense Roll:
If the player's Defense Roll (with bonusses) is 4 or higher, then the player dodges, blocks, or otherwise evades the attack.

Hardiness Roll:
If the player's Defense Roll (with bonuses) is 3 or lower, then the player is unsuccessful in defending from the attack, and they take damage according to their Hardiness Roll.

6 or higher: No damage is received.
4 or 5: Minor damage is received, such as a bruise or scrape.
2 or 3: Moderate damage is received.
1: Major damage is received.
0: Incapacitating damage is received.
-1 or lower: The player is heavily wounded and knocked unconscious.

NOTE: It is possible for a Hardiness Roll to be 0 or lower, because enemies will have bonuses, as well, which will stack with/against the players' own bonuses.

Sequential Defenses
When a player character or allied NPC is attacked multiple times in the same combat round, each successive defense attempt receives an escalating -1 penalty to the defense roll. (That is, the second defense attempt receives a -1 penalty, the third defense attempt receives a -2 penalty, and so on.)

When an enemy NPC is attacked multiple times in the same combat round, each successive accuracy roll receives an escalating +1 bonus. (That is, the second attack receives +1, the third attack receives +2, and so on.)

Spell-Casting
Characters may train in spell schools to increase their proficiency with certain types of spell. For details on training, see the Skills and Training section.

A character may cast spells from a spell school which they have trained in an unlimited (within reason) number of times per day while outside of combat.

For every skill point a character has in a particular spell school, they may cast one spell from that school per battle. For example, a character who has trained up to +2 Fire Magic may cast two fire spells per battle.

No character may cast a spell unless trained in at least one spell school, which can be achieved from being trained by another player or appropriately skilled NPC. If a character is trained in one school (say, Fire Magic), they may attempt to cast one spell per day from a school outside that in which they are trained, and if successful they may be able to train in that school.

Dice Rolling for Spells
Outside of combat, rolling for spells is a Standard Action. Attempting to cast a spell from a school which the character is not skilled in results in a -1 penalty to the roll. For every skill point a character has in the spell school from which they are attempting to cast, they receive a +(skill level - 1) bonus to their roll. For example, a character with +2 Fire Magic would receive a +1 to their spell rolls. A character with skill points in the spell school from which they are attempting to cast suffers no negative consequences from rolling a 6.

During combat, spells require two rolls. The first roll is called the Concentration Roll, and the second roll is called the Effectiveness Roll.

Concentration Roll
If the Concentration Roll is 4 or higher after bonuses/penalties, then the spell is cast successfully.

Effectiveness Roll
For utility, or non-damaging, spells, the Effectiveness Roll works the same way as a Standard Action roll, with the same application of bonuses and penalties based on the character's skill level.

For damaging spells, the outcome of the Effectiveness Roll is as follows:

1: No damage is caused.
2 or 3: Minor damage is caused, such as a bruise or scrape.
4 or 5: Moderate damage is caused.
6: Major damage is caused.
7: Incapacitating damage is caused.
8 or higher: The enemy is heavily wounded and knocked unconscious.

Spells that strike multiple enemies require a separate Effectiveness Roll for each target.

Enemies
Enemies will come in a variety of types, shapes, sizes, and danger levels. All enemies you encounter will have different modifiers to the players' combat rolls while fighting them. These modifiers will not be told to you unless you investigate the enemies somehow and discover them that way. However, the modifiers will show up during combat, so you may be able to determine the modifiers that way.

Enemy combat actions may affect the outcomes of combat actions taken after them, just as player combat actions may affect actions taken afterwards.

Woundedness, Unconsciousness, and Death
Damage/wounds stack in the following way:

Minor Wound x2 = Moderate Wound
Moderate Wound x2 = Major Wound
Major Wound x2 = Incapacitating Wound
Incapacitating Wound + Minor Wound or greater = Unconscious

For enemy NPCs, two Major Wounds is considered Death rather than Incapacitation.

If a player is knocked unconscious, they must roll one die every turn (beginning on the turn after which they are knocked unconscious) to avoid death.

A roll of 1 results in the player's death.
A roll of 6 results in the player awakening. If a player awakens but is not healed, then any further damage they receive will knock them unconscious again.

All other rolls result in the player remaining unconscious for another turn.

Other players may revive an unconscious player by rolling a die of their own and adding the total from their own roll to the unconscious player's roll. A combined roll of 6 or higher results in the unconscious player being revived. This counts as the reviving player's action for the turn.

NOTE: Do not assume that if a player dies they are out of the game. There may be ways in which I attempt to keep them involved in the game, and I may conduct some business via Private Message without telling the other players.

Unarmed Combat
Players may attack enemies in hand-to-hand, or unarmed, combat, but there is a two-point deduction to the player's Damage Roll when doing so. This is to make it worthwhile to carry weapons, since weapon rarity may become an issue at certain points in the game.

Tim wrote:Example Combat

A human (Player 1) with a sword, a Dwarf (Player 2) with an axe, and an Elf (Player 3) with a bow are facing three goblins, two of which are holding clubs and one of which (Goblin 3) has a crossbow.

Each player posts that they are going to attack a separate goblin, with Player 1 posting first, then Player 2, then Player 3.

Round 1 Results
*Player 1 attacks Goblin 1
Accuracy Roll (AR): (4+1). The attack connects!
Damage Roll (DmgR): (5). The goblin suffers a moderate wound.

*Goblin 1 attacks Player 1:
Defense Roll (DefR): 5. Player 1 blocks the attack!

*Goblin 2 attacks Player 2:
DefR: 2. The attack connects!
Hardiness Roll (HR): (2+1). Player 2 suffers a minor wound.

*Player 2 attacks Goblin 2
AR: 5. The attack connects!
DmgR: 6. The goblin receives a major wound.

*Goblin 3 attacks Player 3
DefR: (3+1). Player 3 barely manages to dodge the attack!

*Player 3 attacks Goblin 3
AR: 2. The arrow misses the target.

(In actual play, I will be more descriptive with the attacks and the wounds received, but this demonstrates the mathematics of it.)

Training and Skills
Players may train in various skills over the course of the game.

Only one skill may be trained per training session.
Only one training session may take place per in-game day (with days resetting at dawn).
Training may only take place when no enemies are present.

To train, a player must roll a single die.

Outcomes:
1 - Training fails, and the player is not allowed to train the next day.
2 - Training fails.
3 - Training succeeds.
4 - Training succeeds.
5 - Training more than succeeds. An extra skill may be awarded at the GM's discretion.
6 - Training succeeds, but the player is too exhausted to train the next day.

The types of skills that can be trained are very open-ended, and are up to the players to determine for themselves. There are a few restrictions on how broad or specific training can be, however; a player may, for example, train in 'single-handed swords', but not 'bladed weapons', since the latter is too varied a category.

Players can only train for a specific type of weapon or magic, not an entire "class" of weapon. That is, players can train to become skilled with swords, spears, clubs, axes, bows, or fire magic, but they cannot train to become skilled with "blunt weapons", "ranged weapons", or "attack magic".

The extent to which a 'successful' training will enhance your abilities is not fixed, but will be dependent on how skilled you already are in it, the circumstances in which you are training (are you, for example, just going through swings or sparring with another player) and how nice I'm feeling. Early on, most successful trainings are going to eliminate existing skill penalties.

Character Creation
Players make create as much depth and backstory for their characters as they would like.

All characters must be one of the following races, each of which has a unique bonus:

Human (+1 to all Accuracy Rolls)
Elf (+1 to all Defense Rolls)
Dwarf (+1 to all Hardiness Rolls)
Orc (+1 to all Damage Rolls)

Each character may also be trained in two skills prior to the start of the game, eliminating the skill penalty normally incurred.

Current Players list:
Mums

Code: Select all

Cecily Cardew
Human
Skills: Bōjutsu, Acrobatics, Deception
Rolls: +1 to accuracy, -1 to unarmed damage, +1 to deception

Lurkon

Desmond Lamont
Human
Skills: Ice Magic, Daggers
Rolls: +1 to accuracy. Can perform 1 ice spell per combat.

ocelotteranian

[strike]Ryad Anille
Elf
Skills: Fire magic, sword (sabre, in particular)
Rolls: +1 to damage. Can perform 1 fire spell per combat[/strike]

DSmaster21

Clivendorf von Whiffenpoofle
Human
Roguery*, Small Bladed Weapons**, Deception

*Stealth and Slight of Hand. **Dagger and Shortsword.
Rolls: +1 to accuracy, +1 to deception

AdmiralMemo

Markus Anvilcrusher
Dwarf Male
Skills: Earth Magic, Hammers
Rolls: +1 to hardiness. Can perform 1 earth spell per day

Hepheastus

Kronk Na'Trogh
Male Ork
Skills: Pole-arms, Performance (Singing & Lute)
Rolls: +1 to defence

(Currently accepting player submissions)
Last edited by My pseudonym is Ix on 22 Sep 2013, 12:43, edited 6 times in total.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
My pseudonym is Ix

Re: VOYAGER RPG: Rules, Questions, Player Signup and OOC Cha

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 02 Aug 2013, 13:32

Next thing for everyone to do, by the way, is to submit a character here. It doesn't have to be long (but can be if you want to give a backstory); just a name, race and two skills will suffice.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
ocelotteranian
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby ocelotteranian » 02 Aug 2013, 14:08

I'm absolutely in! Still working on a character though.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 02 Aug 2013, 15:00

Hmm... My default name doesn't quite work in this situation.

Alright, I think my character looks like this:

Desmond Lamont
Human
Skills: Ice Magic, Daggers

How does that look?
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Mums
First Video: Checkpoint "Socially inept"

Postby Mums » 03 Aug 2013, 00:44

I'll steal your cool code!

Might be fleshing out a backstory later. But here's the character tight now.

Cecily Cardew
Human
Skills: Charisma, Acrobatics

Maybe you would like me to switch for something more fighty, just tell me if so, and if charisma is too broad.
Sit down. Get ready. Sit down again!

The perfectly lying, lying bastad!
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 03 Aug 2013, 00:45

That'll do foine, Lurkon. Now we're just waiting on DSmaster21...
DSmaster21
First Video: Friday Nights-Untap
Location: You will hear on the news one day. Zombies! Wait no disregard that random word.

Postby DSmaster21 » 03 Aug 2013, 11:53

I am sorry. Your message said 24 hours and I know it passed 5 min. ago but I only just saw it. I am in.

Clivendorf von Whiffenpoofle
Human
Roguery*, Small Bladed Weapons**

*Stealth and Slight of Hand. **Dagger and Shortsword.
Last edited by DSmaster21 on 11 Aug 2013, 17:57, edited 2 times in total.
Self wrote: I lost my humanity back in 2013 BC ahhhh the good old days.

Ptangmatik wrote: We drew things on your face. Oh, and you're now legally called Clivendorf von Whiffenpoofle. Congratulations.
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 03 Aug 2013, 12:08

It's fine, just so long as you'll be able to regularly commit to the game. Now, characters!
Mums

Postby Mums » 03 Aug 2013, 12:24

Any feelings towards my character the one who claims the name Ix?

My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 03 Aug 2013, 12:33

Nope, do whatever you reckon would be fun. I'll try to mix the campaign up a bit so a broad range of skills across the group will be useful, but likewise the solution to any given problem will likely be very open ended; the real limiting factor will probably be how imaginative (within reason) you can be. In short then, do what you want.

As a side note, I have been addressed in many ways since deciding upon a decidedly unwieldy forum name, but that is the current best.
Mums

Postby Mums » 03 Aug 2013, 12:39

Alright, just as long as you don't think charisma is a bit wide, since it usually cowers everything from from diplomacy to ball kicking intimidations.

It is quite an unwieldy name you have, I'm glad you liked it :)

My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 03 Aug 2013, 12:52

Charisma I wouldn't class as a skill, since it's effects aren't quantifiable; whenever you are in a situation that requires its use in this campaign, such as in an interview, you will just be straight up asking questions and attempting to get answers. How successful you are will be solely dependent on your choice of question and manner of asking.

In short, no. Sorry.
Mums

Postby Mums » 03 Aug 2013, 13:00

I realized it probably wouldn't be a good thing when I wrote it, so I'm not really sure why I pressured you to tell me something when I already knew it. Probably a Swedish thing. Well then, I shall think of another skill to add instead.

Mums

Postby Mums » 03 Aug 2013, 15:15

Cecily Cardew
Human
Skills: Bōjutsu, Acrobatics

AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 03 Aug 2013, 18:09

I'm wondering if PvP will be implemented, using the same attack/defense mechanics, because that could lead to some weird results that make no sense. Player 1 attacks Player 2. Player 1 gets 4 on Accuracy and Player 2 gets 4 on Defense. Does it connect or get blocked/evaded?
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

ocelotteranian

Postby ocelotteranian » 03 Aug 2013, 23:12

Ryad Anille
Elf
Skills: Fire magic, sword (sabre, in particular)

I notice no one else chose anything other than human... did I miss a memo about how fantasy-ful this game is going to be, or did everyone else just want to play humans?
Mums

Postby Mums » 03 Aug 2013, 23:33

Oh god, didn't you get the memo? shit, it was THE memo. I think we can fantasize it out with a few humans and an elf any way :)

ocelotteranian

Postby ocelotteranian » 03 Aug 2013, 23:46

Heh, alright, just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing!
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 04 Aug 2013, 03:45

AdmiralMemo wrote:I'm wondering if PvP will be implemented, using the same attack/defense mechanics, because that could lead to some weird results that make no sense. Player 1 attacks Player 2. Player 1 gets 4 on Accuracy and Player 2 gets 4 on Defense. Does it connect or get blocked/evaded?

I will almost certainly not be implementing PvP, but if it were to happen I'd probably just average two rolls. Or something.

Why, do you want to join?
Mums

Postby Mums » 04 Aug 2013, 08:01

So, characters are in, where do we go from here? Or are you working on starting it off now?

My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 04 Aug 2013, 10:36

Didn't notice that DSMaster had edited his previous post, and I was waiting on him. I've already got a startup situation plan, so I'll get on with writing it.
Mums

Postby Mums » 04 Aug 2013, 10:50

Yeah, I was going to write a snide comment to ocelott that it was only 2 humans out of 4, then I scrolled up and realized DS had edited. I rolled to save out of embarrassment!

My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 04 Aug 2013, 13:21

Game thread is up: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=21534

Remember, normal text for general stuff, bold for actions.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 05 Aug 2013, 06:29

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:
AdmiralMemo wrote:I'm wondering if PvP will be implemented, using the same attack/defense mechanics, because that could lead to some weird results that make no sense. Player 1 attacks Player 2. Player 1 gets 4 on Accuracy and Player 2 gets 4 on Defense. Does it connect or get blocked/evaded?
I will almost certainly not be implementing PvP, but if it were to happen I'd probably just average two rolls. Or something.

Why, do you want to join?
Nah. Just curious, really.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 05 Aug 2013, 06:31

Foine

Return to “Tabletop and D&D”